Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 18th February 2010, 15:50   #1
BHPian

Default Elantra Crdi - seconds purchase - is it a good deal?

Hi all,
One of my buddies was on the lookout for a used sedan with primary focus on highway drives. Recently he has been offered a second hand Elantra Crdi with about 50k in the odo and is 3 years old. The price quoted is 5.5 lacs. Is this a good deal for a car that is currently out of production. What are the other options in this price range that could meet my friends budget of 5-6 lacs and provide a comfortable highway drive. Any help on this will be much helpful. My buddy seems to be inclined towards the executive looks and the comfortablity and added to that the Crdi engine. So would this be a good buy. Will be going for a dekko of the car this evening. What are the things that we need to watch out for ?

note : he already owns a santro for his office and city driving, and used to have a opel corsa which he sold recently. If this information helps in any which ways at all.

Last edited by Rotorhead : 18th February 2010 at 15:51.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 16:01   #2
BHPian

He can probably get a 3-4 year Corolla in that price bracket. And its much more executive like + its a Toyota.
akshaymahajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 16:24   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
He can probably get a 3-4 year Corolla in that price bracket. And its much more executive like + its a Toyota.
He does currently have an offer for corolla too but unfortunately thats a petrol one. Since he is planning to use it more for long distances, he is more inclined to a diesel. But anyways will make a suggestion to him.
Old 18th February 2010, 16:25   #4
BHPian

Asking price seems to be a tad high, maybe because of Bangalore.
Is it the decontent version (No airbags, alloys, CC, leather)? If it is, then the asking price if definitely on the high side!
First thing - check the insurace IDV, that would give you a fair idea of the price to start bargaining from.
If possible, take a mechanic with you. Or else get an authorization letter from him so you can check the service records from a Hyundia A.S.S. But the owners usually don't give it out unless interest is shown / a token advance is paid.

Last edited by quicksilvr : 18th February 2010 at 16:27.
quicksilvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 16:38   #5
BHPian

2007 model with 50k on the ODO at Bangalore at 5.5l sounds not so unreasonable - you can try to bring it closer to 5l though. However, this is for the fully loaded model. Slash another 50k if its the decontent version. Don't think any of the Elantra owners on this forum faced a problem with parts. I recently had my brake cylinder replaced (my bad - ignored the Check break sign for too long without filling oil) at Hyd. Though the A.S.S said they're replacing the brake cylinder for the 1st in an Elantra, he could get it almost off the shelf.

Definitely an excellent buy - for the highway rides, its bliss. Pretty good for city traffic too - I don't find the size too prohibiting.

As with any second hand purchase, take the care to an A.S.S and get it checked.
KESriram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 17:46   #6
BHPian

Just came back from a dekko of the vehicle, and also spoke to another acquaintance of my friend who works for hyundai and he suggested us to keep off the elantra since the price being quoted is very high as some of the other members have mentioned. It seems that the second hand elantras will not cost anything more than 4 lacs since the seconds value for this car is very bad. Also suprising there was a accent crdi which had also clocked around 50k on the odo, but the price quoted was 5.5 lacs too . So does that mean that the accent crdi still commands a good price in the used market. When i was looking for a car a couple of years ago, the accent crdi's were quoted anywhere between 6-7 lacs.
Old 19th February 2010, 10:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey Rotorhead, even I am looking for an Elantra CRDi, where have you seen the cars. If you come across something good, please do let me know as well
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 14:51   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Hey Rotorhead, even I am looking for an Elantra CRDi, where have you seen the cars. If you come across something good, please do let me know as well
there is a second hand car dealer who is located close to kempegowda medical college at banshankri. Are you familiar with the place? if not PM me i will give you the directions to the same. But as mentioned in the thread, we were suggested to keep of the elantra since the asking price of 5.5 lacs is too much for the car of this mileage. What is suprising is that this guy who advised us is a senior guy in one of the hyundai service stations and he mentioned that this car shouldt cost more than 3 -3.5 lacs. Personally i thought that elantra resale value was not that bad and assumed that most second elantras were upwards of 4.5 lacs.
Old 19th February 2010, 15:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Just came back from a dekko of the vehicle, and also spoke to another acquaintance of my friend who works for hyundai and he suggested us to keep off the elantra since the price being quoted is very high as some of the other members have mentioned. It seems that the second hand elantras will not cost anything more than 4 lacs since the seconds value for this car is very bad. Also suprising there was a accent crdi which had also clocked around 50k on the odo, but the price quoted was 5.5 lacs too . So does that mean that the accent crdi still commands a good price in the used market. When i was looking for a car a couple of years ago, the accent crdi's were quoted anywhere between 6-7 lacs.
I'm not sure of the Accent CRDi. My cousin's had a lot of trouble when it hit 60k. It smoked a lot, and clattered really bad. He overhauled the top-end, changed the timing belt along with a few other things. Spend close to 30k, but sitll couldn't get it running smoothly. Note: All work done by ASC.
He gave up and got rid of it. This was just my experience.
All said and done, I loved the car and it's "throw your head back on the headrest" acceleration!
quicksilvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 15:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

IMO 5..5 is too much. Try to reduce by another 80-1L and then you can go ahead. But the car production is stopped. By the way you told you will be seeing the car yesterday. If 5-6L is the budget then why don't your friend look into Tata Manza Diesel. fantastic vehicle. IMO rather than going to used car which is clocked 50K on odo and without any warranties, he can go for Manza which has executive look.
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 15:39   #11
BHPian

Rotorhead as you have mentioned the rate is too high for an elantra crdi. Wait and watch you will get good deals on elantra.
ElantraGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 16:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

You need to wait and be patient

Dealers generally quote atleast a lakh more. the reasonable price for the same is aroun 4-4.5 for a 2006 model and more for newer cars
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 19:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

5.5 lakh is too much for a car which is now out of production. Try to bargain hard and bring down the price to 4.5 lakh. Why don't you take a look at the Octavia?
Anand123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:26   #14
BHPian

Did this senior guy indicated what prices the Hyundai "pre-owned" dealers quote? Ask him if he can land you with a deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
there is a second hand car dealer who is located close to kempegowda medical college at banshankri. Are you familiar with the place? if not PM me i will give you the directions to the same. But as mentioned in the thread, we were suggested to keep of the elantra since the asking price of 5.5 lacs is too much for the car of this mileage. What is suprising is that this guy who advised us is a senior guy in one of the hyundai service stations and he mentioned that this car shouldt cost more than 3 -3.5 lacs. Personally i thought that elantra resale value was not that bad and assumed that most second elantras were upwards of 4.5 lacs.
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
5.5 lakh is too much for a car which is now out of production. Try to bargain hard and bring down the price to 4.5 lakh. Why don't you take a look at the Octavia?
my friend now is seriously considering the manza as shishir mentioned. In the meanwhile he has also come across a octi TDi 2004 model, with 70k on the odo and quoted price is close to 5.5 lacs. He is supposed to take a look at the car today, will keep you guys posted. If the octi doesnt impress him then he would almost surely finalize on the manza. Thanks for all your inputs folks.