Old 27th February 2010, 20:03   #16
Team-BHP Support

If you like the car , go for it. Just ensure

1: You know you have a good dealer to service it

2; You observe and monitor oil consumption
Old 27th February 2010, 20:22   #17
BHPian

Default Do you have the risk appetite ?

I was in a similar situation last year when I wanted to buy the Laura....
In a nut shell, the final questions that ran thru my mind :
A) Do I know anyone remotely associated with Skoda to help facilitate just incase I turn out to be the unfortunate one?
B) Do I have the risk appetite to stomach any issues that may crop up ?
C) Do I believe writing to the CEO / MD of Skoda would help in case of an eventuality ?

My answers : A) NO
B) NO
C) Without a DOUBT ----> NO

So I settled for the Altis AT.....

The Question is not whether its a problematic car, every car manufacturer has faced niggles / issues ( take the latest call back of Toyota )..... The question is whether the car manufacturer
A) has a listening ear
B) has intent to rectify issues
C) Intent translating into Action has been proven in the past or not.

To my mind, Skoda hugely suffers on point C.

Cheers
Old 27th February 2010, 20:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Well you obviously know about the Superb and have interacted with current owners. I expect you'd have seen the Superb ownership threads on this forum too. Its a personal decision at the end of the day. Yes, people will caution you here while others will encourage you to go ahead and take the plunge but its easy to say that. End of the day, its your money and what you value from your car. Do you value an utterly hassle free ownership experience? Or do you want that special feeling of luxury and features that the Superb does so, for lack of a better word, superbly? Think about it and then place or cancel your order.
Old 28th February 2010, 09:32   #19
BANNED

In 1 simple short word Avoid. Apart from my own horrendous experience I am aware of enough stories to ensure me i never buy or even reccommend a skoda to anyone.
Old 28th February 2010, 21:33   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ivar1951 : Do NOT open repeat threads on the same topic. We consider such an activity as spamming.
Old 10th March 2010, 21:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

@ ivar1951 - Any updates?? So, did you go for the Superb or not?
Old 13th March 2010, 09:21   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
On the other hand, I spoke to an owner of the car, whose name was given to me by Krishna Auto, who was all praise for the vehicle. He has done 14900 km in the past six months with no problems of any kind at all.
Something about that doesn't right. That could have been anyone.
Old 13th March 2010, 11:02   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Something about that doesn't right. That could have been anyone.
Yes, that is a possibility that cannot be ruled out altogether. However, the person did offer that I could come and see the car at his place. But it never hurts to be cautious.
Old 25th April 2010, 17:05   #24
BHPian

I booked the Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T today; Brilliant silver colour. I am also planning to install the V-Cool sun film (Rs 39,000) before driving out of the dealership hopefully on May 15. Also ordered the original front mud flaps at an additional cost of Rs 1,000. EX-showroom price @ Chandigarh: Rs 10.81 lakh + Rs 49,000 TATa\ AIG comprehensive insurance + Rs 3500 for registration + Rs 700 for number plate. Total: Rs.20,71,700 (including sun film).

I also looked at and test drove the BMW 320d CE. Excellent car. Why did I choose the Superb instead:

1. Feared that the present BMW 320d may be replaced by a new version in about 18 months;
2. The price of the 320d Highline may fall further;
3. No usb port;
4. BMW tyre issue; the BMW secure is a rip off with hidden clauses.
4. The Superb on the other hand, is full loaded and has an excellent world-acclaimed engine. The Nappa leather alone, for example, costs nearly Rs 3 lakhs.
Don't drive more than 20000 km p.a.; so not very keen on the diesel.

As for Skoda A.S.S., I'm leaving it to God to handle.

I went through this forum, read posts, fired away questions; test drove both cars several times; sat in them, without salespersons, for at least 30 minutes each to get a feel of the car. Thanks to all in helping me make my mind.

Last edited by ivar1951 : 25th April 2010 at 17:23.
Old 25th April 2010, 17:50   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am also planning to install the V-Cool sun film (Rs 39,000)...
That's a LOT for sunfilm...

Quote:
EX-showroom price @ Chandigarh: Rs 10.81 lakh...
I'm buying one from there !!

Quote:
...+ Rs 49,000 TATa\ AIG comprehensive insurance...
If this is dealer's quote, you're being terribly overcharged. Even I was asked for 98k for my insurance by the dealer for my 3, but when I called Sahil he said that's rubbish, so I got an external quote and then didn't even bargain, the dealer came straight down to 46k..for my Beemer. For the Superb it should be around 35k-40k methinks (check IDV).

Quote:
...+ Rs 3500 for registration.
Sigh, Chandigarh. Lucky you.

Quote:
4. The Superb on the other hand, is full loaded and has an excellent world-acclaimed engine. The Nappa leather alone, for example, costs nearly Rs 3 lakhs.
Superb doesn't have Nappa leather, they just claim it does. This, from a source inside the company. It's just leatherette. I also remember a couple of magazines stating so when they first reviewed the 1.8 TSI.

But never mind that, in most ways the Superb is a far more sensible car to buy @ 20L, I fully agree. More gadgets, much more space, and therefore total VFM. Excellent choice.

Quote:
Our well wishes are with you

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 25th April 2010 at 17:52.
Old 25th April 2010, 17:53   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Very impressive engine, 160bhp from 1800cc, loaded car, needs 500ml of synthetic oil per 1000kms, 95 oct petrol if you can; my take on the TSI
hi
jk das i am using `this tsi car since last 1 year
more than 45k kilometer never had this oil problems
the only thing is buy my own oil and my self see when the put oil in my car
the *** some time put cheaper or recycled oil
so this problems this kind of problems even happen in usa and europe so most of most of my freind when changing the oil they themself are present
narry
Old 25th April 2010, 17:58   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I booked the Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T today; Brilliant silver colour. I am also planning to install the V-Cool sun film (Rs 39,000) before driving out of the dealership hopefully on May 15. Also ordered the original front mud flaps at an additional cost of Rs 1,000. EX-showroom price @ Chandigarh: Rs 10.81 lakh + Rs 49,000 TATa\ AIG comprehensive insurance + Rs 3500 for registration + Rs 700 for number plate. Total: Rs.20,71,700 (including sun film).

I also looked at and test drove the BMW 320d CE. Excellent car. Why did I choose the Superb instead:

1. Feared that the present BMW 320d may be replaced by a new version in about 18 months;
2. The price of the 320d Highline may fall further;
3. No usb port;
4. BMW tyre issue; the BMW secure is a rip off with hidden clauses.

Don't drive more than 20000 km p.a.; so not very keen on the diesel.

I went through this forum, read posts, fired away questions; test drove both cars several times; sat in them, without salespersons, for at least 30 minutes each to get a feel of the car. Thanks to all in helping me make my mind.

Sorry. Ex-showroom price should read Rs. 19.81 lakh and total Rs 20,74,200. Thanks Flyingspur for your inputs. I'll check out the insurance from external parties. Do you have any price in mind for the V-Cool film -- f/r windscreen + all windows; 5 years warranty. Installation by the company.
Old 25th April 2010, 18:12   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'll check out the insurance from external parties.
BA usually gives me good quotes, and hasn't pissed me off till now. Try. Or go with your recommended sources, either ways.

Quote:
Do you have any price in mind for the V-Cool film -- f/r windscreen + all windows; 5 years warranty. Installation by the company.
Shouldn't be more than 25k I guess?
Old 25th April 2010, 19:16   #29
BHPian

Flyingspur, are you sure that the Superb does not get the Nappa leather seats? The car is selling quite a bit and by now someone or the other would have raised the alarm! The 'Nappa" factor is a huge sales advantage and Skoda India is taking a big risk if it is deceiving customers.
Old 25th April 2010, 19:26   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Flyingspur, are you sure that the Superb does not get the Nappa leather seats? The car is selling quite a bit and by now someone or the other would have raised the alarm! The 'Nappa" factor is a huge sales advantage and Skoda India is taking a big risk if it is deceiving customers.
Quite certain. Even the Accord's leather isn't genuine Nappa grade. Does Skoda explicitly mention it to be Nappa grade in their literature?
Closed Thread