Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 9th June 2010, 00:38   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
One query please, does SX4 rattle like the swift? have any of you had the experience of rattling windows or doors?
Perhaps, this thread could help-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-rattle-5.html (Does your SX4 rattle ?)

Please dont merely go by the poll numbers though! Posts by owners suggest that its not rattle prone unlike the Swift.
Old 10th June 2010, 09:45   #62
Senior - BHPian

crazy, thanks. is there also a thread on linea's ground clearances?
Old 15th June 2010, 14:18   #63
Senior - BHPian

Linea is good car, but GC is a cause for concern, at above 40 you are liable to scrap all the speedbreakers.

Quote:
crazy, thanks. is there also a thread on linea's ground clearances?
Old 16th June 2010, 18:58   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Linea is good car, but GC is a cause for concern, at above 40 you are liable to scrap all the speedbreakers.
I agree you will scrape all the speed breakers going at a speed of 40km/hr in a Linea. Which sedan wont if the speed breaker is like the small hills in Mumbai.

I have a Linea and I have to disagree with what you say. If the GC is low then no matter what speed the car will scrape the speed breaker. My car has gone over quite high speed breakers at speeds of 10km/hr with full load without scraping the car.

Lastly I dont think its advised to drive any car over speed breakers at speeds of 40km/hr. Speed breakers are supposed to reduce the speed for a reason mate.

Last edited by MihirC : 16th June 2010 at 19:00.
Old 16th June 2010, 20:37   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
I dont think its advised to drive any car over speed breakers at speeds of 40km/hr. Speed breakers are supposed to reduce the speed for a reason mate.
Forget sedans, my wifey scraped the WagonR on a biggie going at that speed... and that is usually her top speed
Old 16th June 2010, 20:46   #66
BHPian

Dislike squeakes - avoid sx4, they are bound to show up sooner or later. not sure about rattles though

want good GC - SX4, it got the GC of a baby SUV. But also expect bouncy ride from it.

Legroom and space - SX4, legroom alone doesnt work, the seats if are tall we get a better posture to sit. Owing to its height SX4 give the most comfy seats.

best advise - test drive and see for yourself which car suits you the most.
Old 16th June 2010, 21:11   #67
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all for your replies. i agree with the 10km/hr GC tip. actually another tip people gave me was once you go over the speed breaker with front wheels, take a gradual descent with the rear wheels immediately. what in essence they meant is that dont park yourself on the speed breaker itself, which always tends to lead to a scrape.
Old 16th June 2010, 22:01   #68
BHPian

Hi GeekSrik,

I am in the same situation as you, and have pretty much the same requirements. I am also unable to decide on what car to buy and hence seemingly waiting forever

Linea always sounds like a great choice whenever I think about this, but then the GC issue always concerns me. I am not so worried about handling speedbreakers, but what if one takes it on really bad roads? A friend of mind took Punto MJD on some rough roads around Coorg area (this is the type of weekend driving I do a lot), and he said his Punto was scraping all the bumps on the road all the time. He had a frustrating time. Now imagine this with Linea which has even lesser GC and even more wheelbase (which increases probability of scraping).

So although I am in total awe of Linea (for styling, ride, handling and features), but I am really worried about GC.

Quote:

The Linea petrol with all bells and whistles is 827624 OTR Bangalore.
By the way, you seem to have got your price information wrong. Linea 1.4 EP (I assume when you said all bells and whistles, you are referring to EP), costs around 9.2L OTR Bangalore, not counting any discounts or deals. Basically it is about 7.74L ex-showroom in Bangalore, and you need to get really very heavy discounts to bring it to 8.27L OTR as you have mentioned.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 16th June 2010 at 22:09.
Old 17th June 2010, 08:38   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Hi GeekSrik,

Linea always sounds like a great choice whenever I think about this, but then the GC issue always concerns me. I am not so worried about handling speedbreakers, but what if one takes it on really bad roads? A friend of mind took Punto MJD on some rough roads around Coorg area (this is the type of weekend driving I do a lot), and he said his Punto was scraping all the bumps on the road all the time. He had a frustrating time. Now imagine this with Linea which has even lesser GC and even more wheelbase (which increases probability of scraping).

So although I am in total awe of Linea (for styling, ride, handling and features), but I am really worried about GC.
Hi Dr AD. I own a Linea and recently undertook the Valparai-Vazhachal drive. About 30km of route passes through dense Kerala forests with no sign of top layer and almost moo surface like to drive on. I did scrape 3-4 times. However, when I took break and was watching other vehicles pass by, other than WagonR and the Jeep/SUV, every other car (mostly sedans) was experiencing the same. This is not to say that other cars have lower GC, but that on bad roads, GC can be an issue for all cars.

After completing the trip, I got the car to be put on ramp for under body inspection. To my surprise and relief, under body is fully intact with a few scraping signs on the engine guard plate. Just thought of sharing.
Old 17th June 2010, 09:42   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
Hi Dr AD. I own a Linea and recently undertook the Valparai-Vazhachal drive. About 30km of route passes through dense Kerala forests with no sign of top layer and almost moo surface like to drive on. I did scrape 3-4 times. However, when I took break and was watching other vehicles pass by, other than WagonR and the Jeep/SUV, every other car (mostly sedans) was experiencing the same. This is not to say that other cars have lower GC, but that on bad roads, GC can be an issue for all cars.

After completing the trip, I got the car to be put on ramp for under body inspection. To my surprise and relief, under body is fully intact with a few scraping signs on the engine guard plate. Just thought of sharing.
Couldnt agree more with you N&B. Thats exactly what I was trying to say. Thank you. No matter what car you drive it will always have its limitations and Linea is no exception but neither is it an odd one out. Most other sedans will scrape. Sedans are not SUvs and humps/uneven terrain is not their forte. Saying that Linea actually has a pretty acceptable GC.

Last edited by MihirC : 17th June 2010 at 09:59.
Old 17th June 2010, 10:09   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post

Thanks for sharing this. This is a good observation. Yes, I overall agree that all sedans (except maybe SX4) will scrap such roads occasionally. I know you have a great ownership thread on your Linea, and I will go through that carefully to understand your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Couldnt agree more with you N&B. Thats exactly what I was trying to say. Thank you. No matter what car you drive it will always have its limitations and Linea is no exception but neither is it an odd one out. Most other sedans will scrape. Sedans are not SUvs and humps/uneven terrain is not their forte. Saying that Linea actually has a pretty acceptable GC.
Yes, I agree here too. So maybe the GC issue of Linea is a bit overplayed and maybe I need to remove that fear from my mind.

So now that GC issue is resolved, all we need is a T-Jet Linea But again, considering that T-jet is likely to cross 10L OTR in Bangalore, I may still end up with the 1.4 FIRE Linea, which actually is not a bad option at all.
Old 17th June 2010, 10:45   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Thanks for sharing this. This is a good observation. Yes, I overall agree that all sedans (except maybe SX4) will scrap such roads occasionally. I know you have a great ownership thread on your Linea, and I will go through that carefully to understand your experience.

Yes, I agree here too. So maybe the GC issue of Linea is a bit overplayed and maybe I need to remove that fear from my mind.

So now that GC issue is resolved, all we need is a T-Jet Linea But again, considering that T-jet is likely to cross 10L OTR in Bangalore, I may still end up with the 1.4 FIRE Linea, which actually is not a bad option at all.
Well Dr. AD,I am not aware of the additional gadgets and features that come with the TJet and I surely dont want to speculate about them. The only addition we all are sure about is the 110PS and 200NM of Torque. A Fiat with 110Ps and 200NM of torque is enough to go wild. But the current Linea with its 93 PS or is it 93 BHp has more than adequate pick up and grunt AD, we hit 165km/hr on the expressway 2 days back and it was as well planted on the road as if it was moving at 20km/hr. To top that if you maintain the car in its powerband then it has good enough pick up as well. Its weird but Linea looks more underpowered on paper than while driving. I dont know for sure but maybe you can have an ECU remap on it as well to make the low end revs better.

Last edited by MihirC : 17th June 2010 at 10:55.
Old 17th June 2010, 18:04   #73
Senior - BHPian

AD and nutsnbolts thanks for your replies. Ad, yes the price is 9.27 pardon my typo. N&B, yes every car has the same height problems one or the other instance so its really the way our roads are designed.

i am close to choosing something will keep you guys updated. for all you know another LTR will make its way into T-bhp :-)
Old 17th June 2010, 19:38   #74
Senior - BHPian

Just bumped into this thread.

If you are looking at keeping the car for 7 years suggest you should surely wait for the Linea T-Jet to be launched. I think its just a matter of 2-3 months max.

You really dont need a Diesel for the kind of running you mentioned. So choose to enjoy the silence and smoothness of a petrol engine.
Old 18th June 2010, 08:09   #75
Senior - BHPian

yo Gemi, thanks for 'bumping' into this thread mate. its been a while talking to you! hope thy figo is serving thee well.
Closed Thread