Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 24th October 2005, 12:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Shopping for a car for my Dad (now bought)

We are on the lookout for a new car for my Dad to replace his Siena 1.2. His priorities are

Cost of ownership / mileage
Better resale
Decent service.
comfort

His daily tralvel is less than 10-12 KMS. But on Sundays he travel to close by town which take a total of 65 - 70 KMS to and fro and very occasional visits by my mother to relatives places. With in town, my dad drives himself. But when out of town he prefers the rear seat. He is not an enhtusiatic driver unlike me.

Though his travel is very less, the skyrocketing price of petrol made him think about going Diesel. He is currently enjoying my Palio D after 2.5 years of Siena 1.2. He doesn't feel the pain of frequent gas station visits and big hole in the pocket.

My hometown has very few dealerships and authorized service stations. Maruti, Hyundai and Tata has dealerships. Ford has an authorized service center and they also service Hondas because Sundaram motors owns both Ford and Honda dealership throughout AP.

Last weekend, me, aadix and trinath went around to a couple of dealerships. I was pulled towards Indogo SX because of the beige interiors and other comforts and luxuries. And it is very much within ourbudget. Disel SX cost 6.95 on road in Hyd. But after seeing the specs of Indigo LX, i feel it's a better choice. With the extra money I can make this like an SX+. But I have to leave with the grey interiors I have never seen the interiors of regular Indigo. Never liked Indica interiors. Too much plastic. Have to pay another visit to Tata dealership. Though the Tata dealer offered very less price for my Siena, I feel he will give a better price for the exchange offer.

Then we went to Hyundai looking for the Accent CRDI. With the recent hikes, Accent CRDI and Viva CRDI cost 8.3 and 7.5 respectively. I don't feel thats a good VFM package though the young hearts of Aadix and Trinath were drooling over the Hyundais. Also Hyundai my upgrade the current Accent anytime during 2006.

I don't think Icon will have any good resale value in the near future with the launch of Fiesta. Probably I can also think about Honda City. But I have to convince my Dad for that price and only petrol engine.

I request tbhp members for yyour valuable suggestions. BTW, I am not in a hurry as my Dad is using my Palio. My first priority is to get a decent price for the Siena. I can wait for few more months.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2005, 13:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

now this is something i did earlier this year, and since the running was in the region close to yours i decided on the ikon 1.3 2 cars that i was considerin were the baleno and the ikon, but then dad preferrs the ikon due to its compact exterior.
i would advice you to go for a diesel engine only if you're looking at more than 40-50 kms every day, as otherwise the diesel mayb just be more expensive due to initial cost and maintenance as well.

manson.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2005, 13:20   #3
BHPian

From your post it appars you like the Indigo as a package, and are inclined to the LX
SO whats the question then ? ;-)
LX with lotsa accessories = SX and then can't you get the beige/leather or whatever seats done in the LX too?
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2005, 14:18   #4
Team-BHP Support

Indigo LX TDI is a good VFM. It comes with the same old grey theme. Only thing which you can do is have leather seat covers which will make it somewhat luxurious. Since your Dad will be frequently sitting in the back seat, accent makes a very cramped option.
So if you cant wait, choose between indigo SX and LX, and if you can wait then you can also look at ford fiesta, getz crdi, swift JTD, indigo LWB(Long wheelbase version) which may be here in less than a year.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2005, 21:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Why not Petra D?
It is better VFM then the Indigo SX.
Just resale would be a problem.
Other option is the Indigo, and yes they offer the beige interior for extra. I saw one at the TATA showroom in town.
Add 14'' alloys, a nice colour and a bodykit and you get a better car then the SX.
Instead of bodykit, a nice sound system could also do.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2005, 10:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions lambo. Already we have two Fiats at home. My Dad's Siena 1.2 and my Palio D. And now we are looking to replace the Siena. No more Fiats till the company improves in India.

I would look at getting the beige interiors for the Indigo. Because this car is for my Dad, no bodykits. Only a decent audio system.

tsk, like your suggestions. Hatchbacks are ruled out because my Dad feels they don't make any statement. Probably will wait till Fiesta comes to the showrooms.
Old 25th October 2005, 13:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

The Indigo has an excellent backseat. Tata is always strict about rear seat comfort in their cars.

Satish, i feel the best option for u is to sell the siena asap, and then wait till jan for the newer models to release so that u get a good resale value for whatever car u're going in for.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2005, 06:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Just a thought. How about a lancer?
prices have reduced and the dealer will be only too happy to give you a discount.
It is fun to drive, fun to sit in, good to look at, gives and average of 10 kmpl in regular day to day city use, has better resale then siena, has better interiors then TATA and FIAT.
Resale will be in the league of a similarly old Ikon 1.6/ accent GLS.
None of the cars from the TATA to the accent have a good resale because they are priced cheap. Difference between the cars resale would be 20 - 30K while the lancer will do the sme thing the TATA does withmore class.
Check out the thread -
Lancer slashes price by 90K in the indian car scene
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2005, 09:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

suggest lancer to satish.
he said 'no' as the lancer might be replaced by the cedia
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2005, 10:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

And we don't have HM service center in our town.

We have dealerships of Maruti, Hyundai and Tata. Also there is a service center for Ford who also supports Honda. Got to choose among these brands.

Looks like Fiesta is going to be launched earlier than expected...
Old 26th October 2005, 10:54   #11
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
Looks like Fiesta is going to be launched earlier than expected...
Fiesta should be a good option and it looks good too. Heard that it will be out by mid Nov so not far.
cnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2005, 11:01   #12
Team-BHP Support

Lancer having more resale than TATA diesels? Thats a first. Our old indica after suffering a major accident which cost 1.2lakh+ in repairs (the car got banged from front hard and by an army truch from behind and on the bridge railing on the side, occupants got minor scrapes only) got sold for 2 lakh. It was a Sept 2002 DLS and we sold in in feb 2005. So a 2.5years old 70000kms done accidental indica fetches this price.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2005, 13:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Tsk, I don't know how others are going to look at your comment and take on the resale of tata cars, but to me its reassuring.... lol
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2005, 14:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

an late 1998 lancer glx-i retails here for 3.00 lacs and a diesel of the same vintage would be 3.50 lacs!!

that's how the lancer re-sale is in andhra! same's the case with most of the south states.

getting back to the topic: satish, since there is an honda workshop in rajamundry, why not a good 2nd vtec city vtec or the old shape accord?? would suit your father's image as an doctor.
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2005, 15:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

My Dad doesn't want to make too big statement as he doesn't want to annoy other doctors who sends patients to my Dad for diagnosis. So no D segment.

Probably can look at OHC 1.3 / 1.5. What will be the mileage for OHC 1.3, 1.5 and vtec? My Dad like KM/L than KM/H and BHP.