Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 9th June 2010, 16:02   #31
Senior - BHPian

Test Drove the Fiesta 1.6 S - One word - WOW!!
Old 9th June 2010, 16:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

We already knew it would be WOW, so tell us more. Take the ANHC and the SX4 along the same route that you took today. Are you TD-ing the MPL Nandanam car again on Friday?
Old 9th June 2010, 18:48   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
We already knew it would be WOW, so tell us more. Take the ANHC and the SX4 along the same route that you took today. Are you TD-ing the MPL Nandanam car again on Friday?
Here it goes,

The TD car was a 1.6 aquaris blue. I stood there for a second stunned at the beauty. Before the TD person could see my dropped jaws, i quickly fixed them and greeted him with a stern and serious face.

After a formal handshake i got into the car, Black and silver looked very inviting. Alloy pedals, ah jaws started to drop but again i got my senses back and said to myself "I should not love this car".

Engine:Engine was started, just felt the gears - Nil - No Vibrations. Checked the Steering - Tight. Engaged the clutch - Smoooth. Dropped back the handbrake - Firm . Slotted to the first gear - Slick.
Released the clutch pedal 25% - nope didnt move. 50% no man, check the gear. yes it was slotted. realesed 75% - what the heck is happening? Will this car ever move? Decided to give a slight press of throttle, yeah atlast some responsiveness. Released the pedal almost 90%, and gave a good tap on the accelerator - car thrust forward as though some car had rear ended her, Slotted second - madness, all the way upto 4K rpm, third gear - utterly maniacal and disdainfully Insane- Revvs building like crazy -5K rpm - whoa, this thing runs like a stray dog's tail on fire. before i could realise what on the earth is happening, i was doing a 120+
I gasped for breath, becasue i couldnt control my excitment inside.(i cant show it in my face, becasue of this TD person). This is far more exciting than the Cedia.

Handling: Wanna check this (what is that all those Ford Fanboys are craving about?) Took on few pothole ridden road and tried to evade at will(was doing some 40km+) The Steering response is out of this world. Man one twich of the steering, she turns with unimaginable perfection and still holding its line. Whhat the Hell is happening? Is this real ? So stepped on the gas 60km+ still same precision, same line, and same calmness. Its handling demenour has actually created a fear within me. Not becasue she may not respond in a crucial situation, but because i cannot think of any other car that can give me this responsiveness !!!

Stopped the car mid way. Looked around the car. I was thinking "C'mon dont love this car". Get with the negatives. Listed the negatives.
  • Ride Quality not plush
  • rear space and leg room less than class average
  • Bad music player (Esp when compared with Cedia's)
  • Plain looking Dash
  • No Climate Control
  • Car itself is a bit dated
  • Lot of noise heard inside (prob'ly becasue of those crap tires)
  • Not great storage space in Cabin
I was trying hard not list the positives because the moment i try to do it, the sales rep fill find out whats in my mind. Inside my little heart i know, it was pumping blood as S...S...S...S

But a car isn't about one person right ?. Moreover 1.6S is sure a super Track car, but my office and house is not exactly located in the Pitstop. Also, the swift - stage 1 was done, keeping the Tracks in mind. So, while me heart is set on the S, my mind asks me to play a waiting game by Test driving the SX4 and ANHC.

BTW, I am driving all TD cars in similar route, Taramani -Madhya kailash - u Turn - SRP - Lifeline Hospitals - Tarmani

Its the same car from nandanam MPL. Infact they told me this. So i am wondering if i should ask for 1.6 Sxi test drive, to understand the S better ;-)

Last edited by Mi10 : 9th June 2010 at 19:01.
Old 9th June 2010, 19:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quick word about the negatives.

- Yes, ride is hard especially at the back. This is not a typical family car. If older people are going to sit regularly in the car, the SXi is a better option. But nothing like an S if you want to have fun. And you don't have to take it to a track to enjoy it on a daily basis.

- Listen to other OE ICE in that price segment. It's the best in class. The Cedia costs 3 lacs more and can be expected to have better ICE. Anyway I guess you will be transferring the ICE from the i10 to the new car, so it's a moot point.

- Lack of climate control. The Fiesta has the best in class AC. It's a chiller like all Ford ACs. What's the use of an ACC if it can't keep you cool in Chennai summers or opens the vent once in a while on its own to let in fumes.

You should TD the SXi. I TD-ed the SXi and S multiple times before arriving at a decision. If you finally decide not to get a Fiesta, the SX4 is the next best option IMO.
Old 9th June 2010, 19:32   #35
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Gilead,

I simply could not take my mind (or is it the heart) of this car. All the listed negatives were actually for convincing myself to atleast test drive other cars before deciding. I dont mind having two 'Track-eager' cars too.
I am already thinking on how a Paprika Red 1.6 S running on full miltek Exhaust system, shod on 205/50 Advans would be like

Now tell me this, when is the new Fiesta expected. I am sure it wil have all the bells and whistles missing on the current gen Fiesta.

Last edited by Mi10 : 9th June 2010 at 19:33.
Old 9th June 2010, 19:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Thanks Gilead,

I simply could not take my mind (or is it the heart) of this car. All the listed negatives were actually for convincing myself to atleast test drive other cars before deciding. I dont mind having two 'Track-eager' cars too.
I am already thinking on how a Paprika Red 1.6 S running on full miltek Exhaust system, shod on 205/50 Advans would be like
I suppose you have seen jerish's 1.6S mod thread eh.

Quote:
Now tell me this, when is the new Fiesta expected. I am sure it wil have all the bells and whistles missing on the current gen Fiesta.
120 BHP hatch by end of this year or early next year. No idea about the sedan. End of 2011 or early 2012 maybe. No one has even spotted the sedan being tested and Mustang101 got himself banned, so can't get any new info.

And the new Fiesta will have whatever is missing in the current one of course. Also comes with a few things I don't like. e.g. EPS. Also not sure what variable valve timing will do to the awesome low end pull that the current one has.
Old 9th June 2010, 20:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

The Point is, this will be my 5 year car. Assuming that the Swift will go in another 3 years, this car should atleast be 'modern' enough for next 3 years. On this count, IMHO only ANHC stands tall.

Anyway i accept that i am madly in love with the S. I ll have to convice my family next, once my TD with SX4, 1.6 Sxi and ANHC is over that is
Old 9th June 2010, 20:23   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

The Q&A section of today's The Hindu mentions the new Fiesta to come in early 2011. Not sure how dependable that info is, given that in the past they have posted inaccurate info in that column.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10
Anyway i accept that i am madly in love with the S. I ll have to convice my family next, once my TD with SX4, 1.6 Sxi and ANHC is over that is
Look forward to your comparo between Fiesta, SX4 and ANHC.
Old 10th June 2010, 12:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
The Q&A section of today's The Hindu mentions the new Fiesta to come in early 2011. Not sure how dependable that info is, given that in the past they have posted inaccurate info in that column.

Today no TD, becasue i my company is asking me to work

So Tomom 2 TD, ANHC and 1.6 Sxi

SX4 i think i ll have to beg them for a Test drive - So mostly on Sat only.

By the way just got a call from Skoda. Seems Laura 1.8 TSi is avilable for 14L on road. This is exclusive of other discounts incl corporate discount.

Anyway, though mouth is watering, its not a practical car (atleast for me)
Old 10th June 2010, 13:23   #40
Senior - BHPian

I dont know why SX4 for seems to be low in your rank and everybody elses too? IMO its a very good VFM save the badge value. Somehow Maruti is related with common, economic and average built cars. I would suggest you to make a comparison chart with all the features for the cars you have shortlisted. Award points for the features which matters to you. Otherwise normally the looks or badge value over rides the sensible choice.

IMO SX4 wont disappoint you if you TD it with impartiality.

Looking forward for your TD experiences...
Old 10th June 2010, 14:05   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I dont know why SX4 for seems to be low in your rank and everybody elses too? IMO its a very good VFM save the badge value. Somehow Maruti is related with common, economic and average built cars. I would suggest you to make a comparison chart with all the features for the cars you have shortlisted. Award points for the features which matters to you. Otherwise normally the looks or badge value over rides the sensible choice.

I never ranked the SX4 !! Its still a strong contender for me as much as a ANHC or the 1.6S

I have only said its looks (esp at the back) is not to my taste.

I will surely TD the SX4 and give my best impartial review on it.
Old 10th June 2010, 19:59   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post

^^ Due to this,

I asked the TD of SX4. But the showroom guy told he only had Automatic with him and can only arrnage the MT Vehcile by Saturday. I anyhow asked him to come.

after few calls and some ravings about the ANHC, he finally came in a Fully Loaded, Sky blue SX4 AT 1.6 VVT.

Just waited a bit. Then moved around it. Huge Chunky tires. Real Road Presence, I mean R-E-A-L Road Presence. 16" 10 spoke Alloys we good (although i would have preffered the earlier 5 Spoke one). Even before i got in, i asked him to open the Boot. 510 Litres. Huge, but Initially didnt seem so. Becasue the Actually Loading / Unloading area is bit small (Becasue of Huge Rear Lights encroaching the boot lid). Also, i assume that the baggage needs to be really lifted to get into the boot (simply becasue of high GC coupled with higher Boot). The Door Handles were chrome lined, felt good and Solid. Nice Click when shut. Asked him to open the Bonnet. Heavy, very heavy by suzuki standards. Lots of space inside the Engine. Good Ventilation on either side of the engine. Moved around to the other side. Crossed the road and saw the car. Imposing. Butch looking Sedan. Came back. I told him i have not driven the AT cars and asked if he could drive while i sit in Back. he Obliged

Experiencing SX4 as a passenger (rear):
I went to rear (right) and was greeted by a high quality leather Sofa. Yes, It felt like a real sofa. Very good Space. Great leg space and even greater Shoulder Space. What more there is a side galdding on either sides, so in case i fall asleep, i wont get up with a sprained neck.Excellent. Never thought SX4 would be so Comfortable to sit. The panels were Fake wood (which i am not a big fan off), but somehow looked good with the Interiors. Nice and High is the seating position. I could see everything with a slight slant up from the Seat. Everything man, So airy and So ventilated. Was a real surprise after being in Swift's rear Dungeon!!.

Finally asked im to get moving and he Started the engine. smooth. I asked him to wait. Nope nill vibrations. Now, go, But he didnt respond!!. he was searching for something in the AT box. Some 'P', 'N', 'G3' kinds of Alpabets were there. He slotted into something and Vrooommmm..I was literally pushed back with the sudden surge of Torque. Man, WT*. The driver gave a big grin and started with his usual story - Litres - BHP -ACC - Airbag, but my mind was on to something else.

Engine: Wow Great Power, felt as though someone is always ready to kick in your A**. and now and then he gives the Kick. (I think becasue of AT). He Reached 60 without battling an eyelid.

Rear Ride Quality: Was not really surprised to see the SX4 glide effortless over potholes, and bad roads considering the huge GC and big (read side wall) tires. This was more of a SUV ride. Though plush to an extent, there was considerbale bumpiness in ride (not as bad as in i10). When the driver sweres at high speeds, some amount of body roll can be felt. But i think i can live with this, though not in the class of S or the Cedia, it scores high in rear comfort and space when compared with Cedia and Fiesta. As a Family, a SX4 has a more enjoyable and comfortable rear seat than a Cedia or a Fiesta. Period.

Experiencing SX4 as a Driver:
Now it was my turn to get to the steering. hopped in and saw the AT. I didnt like it. Somehow i like to Keep one hand in the Gear while driving and upshift if i need more torque. I cannot do this here. It felt strage as my left foot was searching in vain for the non-existent Clutch pedal. After some ground work (he explained) i got it to move

Engine: Marvellous is the right word. To move this mass of steel you need power and the SX4 has got it all. i am not comparing with other cars as i drove a AT and you all know how important a gear shift is when comparing the performance of an Engine. So i am restricting myself only to the power delivery. The car never felt sluggish.

Handling: Was not bad as i expected. handling in low speeds is quite good. However as speed increases, you feel a bit nervous. EPS steering gave decent feedback. But you ll have to give it to Ford here. The Steering was so precise and accurate in Fiesta. The SX4 though very fast didnt really have the handling for me to push her. As i again glided over potholes, ride in front was impeccable. Very good than the rear. One point here, the turning radius seems to be on the higher side for the SX4 (pls correct me if wrong), I could do a quicker and shorter u-turn in a Fiesta or a Cedia than in an SX4.

Special note on the A-Pillar (fans excuse, pls):
This car has 4 Pillars: A1, A2, B and C. What is maruti thinking? (or is it Suzuki?) For Whatever reason they put a Quarter panel glass between the A1 pillar and the A2 pillar, i think there is a fair chance to be in the blind spot , esp when taking a U turn to your right or when approacing a sharp right turn.

Now the small niggles:
Interior Plastic Quality could have been better.
Same Old Swift's Dashborad (only color is different)
Music player quality of build is flimsy
Reversing this car is tougher than other cars in its segment.
The Quality of the Whole car is better than the Suzuki's we have seen but surely not in League of Ford or a Fiat.

This is what i think now;
I thought i can wipe of the SX4 from my list, but now i realise its a much bigger and better car than i imagined. at 8.8L OTR with 30K Discounts seems well within my Budget. At 50K extra than the 1.6S, i get good rear space, bigger boot, amazing road presence and comfortable ride for 5. Not to forget the ACC, USB Stereo, 16" Alloys. on what i miss out, superior handling is surely one. Build Quaity comes next. Othe than that i can only say after TDing the SX4 MT. Anyways, i am promised manual Transmission SX4 on Saturday, so restraining any comments on engine and gearbox for now.

After my ANHC TD and SX4 MT TD, i think i ll be in a better position to compare the four.

Last edited by Mi10 : 10th June 2010 at 20:13.
Old 10th June 2010, 20:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I never ranked the SX4 !! Its still a strong contender for me as much as a ANHC or the 1.6S
Quote:
My Initial impressions shortlist were the following cars

Rank 1: ANHC
Rank 2: Cedia sports
Rank 3: Fiesta S
Rank 4: SX4
Rank 5: Altis 1.8J
Thanks in advance
I was talking about this INITIAL impression ranking. If you rank cars on initial impression before TD its going to affect your selection procedure. Just personal thoughts. I am sure you have done your homework.
Old 10th June 2010, 23:27   #44
Senior - BHPian

Mi10, don't get fooled by the SX4's initial acceleration from 1st gear. It has very poor in-gear acceleration which is the most important thing in city driving. The Fiesta, ANHC and Cedia will do 20-80 in 3rd gear in 11 odd seconds. The SX4 will take close to 20 seconds. Check this out when you are TD-ing the MT.

But as a family car, it's a better package than the Fiesta. It should be #1 on your list if your parents will be using the car a lot. I didn't consider it because I could not digest its looks.
Old 11th June 2010, 01:24   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Man, looks like you are going to be in serious decision-making dilemna.
And this with the SX4-MT and ANHC still pending TD.

Frankly, I was not expecting this much of a confusion. Given your performance requirement, I was expecting you to go for a Fiesta which IMO is more of an allround performer than the SX4 and ANHC. The only con I see is the bland looks (nothing bad, but nothing great either).
Not that the ANHC and SX4 are great lookers. But they atleast stand out due to the design.

Anyway, the story gets exciting now. Will stay glued to the thread to see what your final decision is going to be. I briefly toyed with the idea of picking up an ANHC-AT - yeah inspite of them being over-priced and all. I think you should TD both AT and MT versions of City, since you did the SX4-AT. At a later point, would be useful for people who are looking between the 2 ATs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead
It has very poor in-gear acceleration which is the most important thing in city driving. Check this out when you are TD-ing the MT.
This was something I was intending to ask Mi10, but Gilead beat me to it. Since most of the time the car will be running in city B2B or traffic-heavy scenarios, please check out how the 3 cars perform in traffic, apart from your performance runs on the IT-highway. BTW, doesn't the ANHC (like other Hondas - OHC, Civic etc) fare badly in low speed city driving, requiring frequent gear-changes ?

I have never driven a City, but that is what I have read in reviews here. Plus few weeks ago, I was a passenger in my colleagues OHC-1.5 and to me, it looked like he was changing gears every other minute on a route on which my Baleno would chug along comfortably in 3rd gear.

EDIT : I re-read your requirements again and see that this car is intended for the highways. So not sure if the city-driving part applies. I guess comfort, space etc would be key here.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 11th June 2010 at 01:31.
Closed Thread