Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 14th March 2011, 12:23   #46
BANNED

Default Re: Help Deciding Me a Car between 9-11lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
sorry for hijacking the thread but there was a similar question in my mind - however with a little difference

I currently have an Accent 1.6 gls, and I want to buy something more driver oriented - I'd initially shortlisted the Fiesta 1.6s, Cedia sports and the Chevy cruze (although doesn't fall in the category of 9-11 lacs as this thread title suggests ) but I've narrowed it down to the latter two. What would be the suggestion and the best option? Fuel economy is not much of a concern. My mind is set on the Cedia sports, but I just want to know if there is an updated version coming out in the near future (considering the last update was in mid 2009). Any information on this?
Just to check on what are the factors that you looked at- is resale and support and service of any concern? If yes- Cedia will really hurt you on that front. Cruze is a superb drive, just drove a friends new one, its amazing even at 120+. Never driven the Cedia so cannot give a comparison on that
Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 13:04   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise View Post
Just to check on what are the factors that you looked at- is resale and support and service of any concern?
sorry I forgot to mention that part - I am not really bothered about resale value since I would be keeping this car for at least 5-6 years

How good/bad is the after sales service and support? Perhaps existing Mitsubishi owners could give me their opinions on that.

My most important doubt is whether an Update would be coming sometime soon. Not able to find much information on the web about any update. I'm not too enthusiastic about being stuck with an obsolete car after just a few months of purchase

Last edited by KarthikK : 14th March 2011 at 13:06. Reason: missed out a small detail
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 13:26   #48
Senior - BHPian

I haven't had too many things to complain about with regard to service in bangalore. SVR Motors does a pretty good job.

If you like the cedia, buy it. You'll have complete peace of mind. I've had no major issues and only minor niggles like occasional rattles in four years of ownership. It however is a very old car and platform now. The Cruze which you are considering is a lot more modern in every way. If you can live with the turbo lag, it is a very good car.

PS: There is no news of the new lancer launching anytime soon.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 14th March 2011 at 13:29.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 15:16   #49
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Karthik between the three.

Would say go for the Cedia Sport (but only preowned) if you can get your hands on one. Even after 5 years the resale difference would be too high between the Cedia and the other options, so you need to get that out of the way by buying preowned.

Power does not make a car a good drivers car, and though the cruz has the grunt to bring a smile to ones face - when one rips it,- it still is not a great drivers car, and in city it is just not there.

The fiesta S on the other hand is fun to drive, yet with the new fiesta round the corner will suggest a only a preowned Fiesta S or even an Sxi, both are good fun to drive else if buying new wait for the new fiesta to land and get the new S or Sxi which ever suits you best then.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 08:51   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I haven't had too many things to complain about with regard to service in bangalore. SVR Motors does a pretty good job.

If you like the cedia, buy it. You'll have complete peace of mind. I've had no major issues and only minor niggles like occasional rattles in four years of ownership. It however is a very old car and platform now. The Cruze which you are considering is a lot more modern in every way. If you can live with the turbo lag, it is a very good car.

PS: There is no news of the new lancer launching anytime soon.
Thanks for that information. I agree its a very old platform but after i took the TD I was blown away, sort of intoxicated by the Cedia I will take the TD of Cruze this saturday but I'm still dreaming about that gleaming yellow Cedia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Karthik between the three.

Would say go for the Cedia Sport (but only preowned) if you can get your hands on one. Even after 5 years the resale difference would be too high between the Cedia and the other options, so you need to get that out of the way by buying preowned.
I'm afraid pre-owned is not an option. I would be buying a new one. After 5 years, I may not sell the vehicle. I might simply add another one to my garage and let this continue. But good point that you brought up about future resale value. I'll keep it in mind before handing over the cheque leaf

Quote:
Power does not make a car a good drivers car, and though the cruz has the grunt to bring a smile to ones face - when one rips it,- it still is not a great drivers car, and in city it is just not there.
I've heard of the Cruze requiring frequent gear shifts in bumper to bumper city traffic. Thought of taking a TD this week to find out for myself.

Quote:
The fiesta S on the other hand is fun to drive, yet with the new fiesta round the corner will suggest a only a preowned Fiesta S or even an Sxi, both are good fun to drive else if buying new wait for the new fiesta to land and get the new S or Sxi which ever suits you best then.
I was not too enamoured by the new Fiesta's odd looks but this is another option as well, worth waiting for and then deciding once its out. Thanks a lot for the suggestions
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 11:44   #51
Senior - BHPian

Default Urgent buy : Sedan - OTR closest to 8 Lac

Ok, here's the situation.
We're looking to buy a sedan for my FIL.
Now, he's been a driven(no pun) guy almost all his working life.
As a retirement gift, my BIL and MIL(i picked these acronyms from TBHp so dont hang me!) are looking to buy him a substantially equipped 3-box.
criteria:
1:Good equipment levels, and a lush cabin
2: Decent power
3:a looker
4:as close to 8Lac(under/over) OTR
5: Petrol(one is a bias against diesels, enforced by yours truly, and secondly low-under1k- running PM)

options not on list:
manza,dzire,etios,logan

total dilemma, and planning to purchase,well basically ASAP!

Pre-owned is nowhere on the horizon.
and did mention, no diesel?
oh, i did.

My personal favourite was the fiesta, new or classic.
but new may be over the budget by a fair margin, and classic though good in all respects, will start looking dated very very soon, i feel.

next favourite was the city, but gain, may be beyond 8Lacs by a fair amount.
not very sure though.
SX4: inputs needed.
vento: same.inputs needed.

he's, basically(i will be dead if he reads this), a senior citizen now, who still drives around occasionally, but now this will be an everyday driven vehicle, if only for short jaunts.

Parking and roads are not an issue, since he stays in central delhi.

currently his weekend drives are a petrol UNO and swift vxi.

Also has a mastiff/doberman mix, and and apso, both of whom LOVE drives!!

Also has a new born grandaughter, who may be an occasional occupant, though her father owns the swift.

Plus, he's a civil engineer, very tech savvy, and tool-friendly.
so minor repairs etc are at par with most expert DIYers on TBHP.

let 'em roll guys!

Last edited by mayankk : 1st June 2011 at 11:45.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 11:57   #52
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Urgent buy : Sedan - OTR closest to 8 Lac

If he is going to be driven around then why manza and logan have been struck out?

Not very sure about Vento Petrol given that there is a much much better diesel version of it available.

Not sure if Linea will be available under 8.

Honda City is grossly overpriced for the feature list it offers. And is riding the tide of its past success.

Sorry but leaves only Fiesta in fray.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 12:02   #53
Senior - BHPian

he's been driven till now.
now it'll be a self driven vehicle.

Manza and logan fail on the looks count.
although i do know about the manza's equipment levels.

how about an under 9 lac cap?
anything there?
Old 1st June 2011, 12:04   #54
BHPian

Compare Tata Manza Elan Safire BS-IV vs Fiat Linea Emotion 1.4 vs Fiat Linea Emotion Pk 1.4 - CarWale
This is what I feel your options are. If he does not intend to do laps around an F1 circuit, these cars have enough oomph to cater to such persons needs. Not to mention, the manza is very comfortable [atleast thats what I hear, have never sat in a manza].
scuderiamania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 12:09   #55
Team-BHP Support

If looks are not very important pick the Toyota Etios with your eyes closed.
Reasons-
  • Nice engine with Peppy performance.
  • Very spacious.
  • Good Dynamics with good Ride and Handling combo.
  • Toyota quality and support(Believe me it's a HUGE bonus even if badge value is not important).

Or the Fiesta Classic Petrol
Reasons-
  • Fun to drive factor.
  • Good VFM after the price cut.
  • Tried and tested.

Manza may have good space and equipment but i feel the quality is still not at par compared to Etios and Fiesta classic(not just plastics + fit and finish but also the niggling issues and QC in parts). 50,000kms old Vista and Manza feel like 1,00,000kms+ in any of the Japs or Koreans.

Last edited by .anshuman : 1st June 2011 at 12:14.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 12:17   #56
Senior - BHPian

yeah, pricewise, the top spec fiesta petrol is comparable to most other base version prices.

and i know that 1.6 is fun to work with...

etios, well its not bad looking, but it kind of just blends itself away.

EDIT: Verna in the fray too, totally forgot!
Thanks, Fordmanchau!

Last edited by mayankk : 1st June 2011 at 12:38.
Old 1st June 2011, 12:27   #57
Senior - BHPian

I think the Vento Trendline Petrol does fit into the budget. Not sure though.
The car is not mind blastingly fun to drive, but does the job above par.

Apart from that, 1.6 Fiesta sure fits your requirements to the 'T'. Agree on the looks being dated in a while. But, what an engine!

I would suggest, please re-think on the Etios not being on the list.
How about the Linea T-Jet? Again, do not know the OTR price in Delhi.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 12:34   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hey Mayank,
When it's a petrol , why not look at the New Verna too.
New Car, new design, new age interiors, and is a looker and has a very good equipment level too.
The New Verna will both be good to drive and be driven around too.
The 1.4 VTVT and 1.6VTVT are priced at 6.99 L and 7.64 L ex-showroom Delhi respectively.
You can take your pick.

The only other choice I would suggest would be the Fiesta Classic 1.6. Just if he decides to drive around a lot himself after the retirement , Else if you can wait for month, then probably the prices of the New Fiesta would also be out.

EDIT: http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/BuyaHyu...SF_Prices.aspx

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 1st June 2011 at 12:44.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 12:41   #59
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Urgent buy : Sedan - OTR closest to 8 Lac

Not too sure as to why the Manza and the Etios were off the option list, any bias? I am sure the Manza is the roomiest of the lot and would be the apt choice for someone being driven around.

However I am guessing that Mayank, you would be influencing this decision lot with the Fiesta experience. I would suggest the Fiesta Classic too although most of the Fiesta rejections have been due to less rear leg room.

All the best.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 12:54   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Not too sure as to why the Manza and the Etios were off the option list, any bias? I am sure the Manza is the roomiest of the lot and would be the apt choice for someone being driven around.

However I am guessing that Mayank, you would be influencing this decision lot with the Fiesta experience. I would suggest the Fiesta Classic too although most of the Fiesta rejections have been due to less rear leg room.

All the best.
he HAS been driven till now.
now he WILL be driving.
So rear seat comfort is not really a priority at all.

yes, naturally, the push for the fiesta came from me...

Manza and etios, the consensus has been reached between the influencers and users, that they really dont cut it in the looks department.