Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 11th August 2010, 17:53   #16
BHPian

I am pretty sure that OHC Vtec didn't have 106bhp at the wheels. GTO's ex-vtec had 106 bhp at the wheels, however it was not stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
whereas, the OHC Vtec is 106bhp at the wheels!!! .
Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 15:06   #17
BHPian

I wanted to knopw more about the standard equipment on the OHC VTEC before going for the drive.

Did the OHC VTEC come with:
a.5 alloy wheels
b.Rear defogger
c.Electric mirror retract
d.Immobilizer

Also after having gone through various threads on the City VTEC, I realised that the rear suspension is a bit of a problem on the OHC.How do i make out if the suspension needs work on a particular car??
octane1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 15:17   #18
Team-BHP Support

Im quite sure it didnt have C and D. But it did have A and B.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 15:24   #19
BHPian

I thought I read bou the electric mirror part here on tbhp in a thread.Here you go:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1090922 (Difference between ohc 1.3 and 1.5)

N i jus enlarged the chart posted above and it clearly says that both the 1.5 and the VTEC have power door mirrors.

Last edited by octane1002 : 12th August 2010 at 15:36.
Old 12th August 2010, 15:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

The VTEC would surely appeal to your heart a lot more. Mine too. But I would have probably settled on a Corolla.

If for nothing else, the standard safety features of ABS/Airbags at the least. Comfort, space, ease of ingress/egress for parents etc is a bonus. And the Corolla is no slouch either, although would not be as FTD as the VTEC.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 15:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
I wanted to knopw more about the standard equipment on the OHC VTEC before going for the drive.

Did the OHC VTEC come with:
a.5 alloy wheels
b.Rear defogger
c.Electric mirror retract
d.Immobilizer

Also after having gone through various threads on the City VTEC, I realised that the rear suspension is a bit of a problem on the OHC.How do i make out if the suspension needs work on a particular car??
a: Not very sure
b: Yes
c: Yes (electrically adjustible but not retractable)
d: No, I guess

Cheers
avinash_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 16:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
But I would have probably settled on a Corolla.

If for nothing else, the standard safety features of ABS/Airbags at the least.
shuvc, 03 Corollas don't have ABS/Airbags. I guess they came only in 2005.
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 16:18   #23
BHPian

@shuvc:You're bang on when you bring up the corolla alternative.That's the single largest factor that has been delaying this purchase for a couple of months now.
OK, so leme have another go at justifying my thinking.

Keeping in mind that any car I eventually purchase is gonna be sparingly used for around 3k annually.And I have now decided that maybe after a year or so I'm gonna start modding the car that I purchase.So a reasonable level of safety and comfort would just do fine.By reasonable I mean something on offer in the entry-midsize segment comprising of the base models of the Linea/ANHC/Aveo/Fiesta/Verna today.

A 03 Corolla will cost me 3-3.25 lakhs in decent condition.The Corolla is gona be faster stock(0-100 is around 9.6 or so compared to the VTEC's 9.92).Better safety and comfort as well with additional aids(not sure about airbags on 03 models though) compared to the VTEC.

Now, what swings the choice in favour of the VTEC is that the 985 kg weight with the 106bhp output is a PTWR(power-to-weight ratio) thats gonna be hard to emulate in in a long time to come.NOT EVEN IN THE A-SEGMENT.Why?Cuz cars of the present are only getting heavier without a substantial increase in power.Have a look at any car in the C-segment(eg. benchmarks like ANHC/Fiesta) and you'll surely agree that although their power output is somewhere close to the OHC VTEC their kerb-weights ensure that they're nowhere close to it in outright acceleration(This without even modding the VTEC).So in effect what we're looking at is a rare combo of power(along with the relatively simple mod-friendly nature of the car thats devoid of any of the complex gadgetary found in the cars of today) and just the right kerb-weight(Its not feather-light like, say, an Esteem).
Keeping in mind that I might wana mod it in the distant future its the perfect canvas so to speak.We can do a lot to increase the power in he car but shedding weight is something that's jus not possible unless you start stripping the car outright.Which is the single largest disadvantage when it comes to the Corolla.Also, IMHO,I don't think any of us here in Kolkata would want to mess around with something in that segment.Not even FFEs or Headers.N then the fact that it belongs to a segment higher would mean that frequent ripping would result in frequent parts wear(which are surely gonna be substantially expensive a segment higher).So the Corolla's a dead end when it comes to the future possibility of mods and everyday ripping.I mean the Vtec's size is just so perfect for it to be driven fast in the city.No worries about potholes, no worries about squeezing into tight gaps.On the HIGHWAY..well...we've all heard of a certain beast by the name of the vRS

Now, the icing on the cake would be the price.Which of course I shall let you all know after I acquire the car.How does a price of around 80k- 1l less than a corolla of the same vintage sound?Not bad me thinks.

P.S.I can't help it if I sound like a good debator.I am a law graduate from Symbi after all.

Last edited by octane1002 : 12th August 2010 at 16:37.
Old 12th August 2010, 16:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Oops. Was not aware of the lack of ABS/Airbags in the early Corollas.

Well, if you want to go the mod way, then the VTEC suits your requirement perfectly. But I would still prefer not to compromise on safety. You have accidents in the city too. The other day saw an i20 upside down in the middle of the road at Rajarhat. Airbags had activated. I'm told everyone survived.

FYI - I saw an ad for a Cedia at 3.6-3.7L last weekend, in the Telegraph classifieds. That's surely one car I would look out for, if planning on modding. Yes it could to be more expensive to maintain. But it would be a newer car and safer too.

Last edited by shuvc : 12th August 2010 at 16:40.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 16:55   #25
BHPian

@shuvc:Yeah jus confirmed, 03 corollas did not have ABS.2 AIRBAGS were standard tho.Its a tough choice, really.The initial corollas were nothing to write homeabout as regards suspension and build quality.Almost same as the VTEC.

What you say about Cedia makes sense but then Im a lil wary of risking things by buying something from Mitsubishi at the moment what with their A.S.S and dealer support/Resale.Dont wana take a beating there by selling off the car in 2 years.Honda Vtec will surely be better than the Cedia/Corolla when it comes to not losing much on resale.
Have checked out both the 2 cedias and the Vtec in the classifieds section.All of them are very suspect condition.The Vtec is a No-no as its in a very bad shape.It has been clocked for sure and by a fair margin.1 of the Cedia's been in an accident.The only clean car Iv come accross till now is a VTEC 2003 June model with none of the jerking issues associated with the earlier Vtecs.

Last edited by octane1002 : 12th August 2010 at 17:02.