Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 15th August 2010, 19:01   #1
BHPian

Default Buying an old Honda City Vtec

Hi Guys,

I have been offered an old Honda City Vtec (the original one) which is a first owner car and has run 58,000 genuine Kms. It belongs to a friend of mine who has finally decided to sell. I have been after him for years to sell it but he would not part with it before. The car is 10 years old. The tyres are original. I know the car as I see it on a regular basis. His asking price is 2.8L. I need to know if this is a fair price and more importantly are spare parts available for this car. Also, is there anything specific I need to look out for before buying? I know GTO had one of these cars and I would be really grateful for any advice from him or anyone else who owns or has owned a Vtec.

Regards,

SS
suzuki san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 21:47   #2
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : One-liners that add ZERO value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP. In fact, they are considered as SPAM. Please do not hit the post submit button unless you have something of value to add to the thread.

We advise you to visit our board rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 21st August 2010 at 08:39.
suzuki san is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 15th August 2010, 22:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki san

please consider the following in order to decide the fair price

1. What is the IDV ?
2. Does the Insurance valid now ?, for how long ?, staus of NCB ?
3. Conditions of tyres ?, how many more KM life left ?
4. Status of ICE
5. Status of Seats, Seat covers, interiors
6. Status of clutch plate
7. Status of wheels (rusted ?), Alloys ?, spare wheel ?
8. Accident history ?
9. Stauts of exterior paints
10. Staus of underbody, any corrosion ?
11. How much investment you need to make within 3 months from buying to keep the car in driving condition.
12. Location / City where you are buying the car (from), also a question of demand - supply gap.
13. Do you need to transfer the vehicle to a different RTO or state, is there any need for re-registering the vehicle ?
14. Value of trust, Good will you enjoy with the seller or vice versa
15. Fee of the used car dealer which the seller is going to save.

there could be more factors.

my personal view 2.8L is on higher side for a 10 year old car.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 15th August 2010 at 22:10.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 22:08   #4
BHPian

Is it a OHC type 1 or type 2. I presume finding parts for type 2 should not be a problem. Type 1 is going to be a problem.

I suggest you PM gto, iraghava and the likes [people who have owned a vtec] to get proper guidance. They are they best help you can find in t-bhp!
scuderiamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 23:29   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Suzuki san

please consider the following in order to decide the fair price

1. What is the IDV ?
2. Does the Insurance valid now ?, for how long ?, staus of NCB ?
3. Conditions of tyres ?, how many more KM life left ?
4. Status of ICE
5. Status of Seats, Seat covers, interiors
6. Status of clutch plate
7. Status of wheels (rusted ?), Alloys ?, spare wheel ?
8. Accident history ?
9. Stauts of exterior paints
10. Staus of underbody, any corrosion ?
11. How much investment you need to make within 3 months from buying to keep the car in driving condition.
12. Location / City where you are buying the car (from), also a question of demand - supply gap.
13. Do you need to transfer the vehicle to a different RTO or state, is there any need for re-registering the vehicle ?
14. Value of trust, Good will you enjoy with the seller or vice versa
15. Fee of the used car dealer which the seller is going to save.

there could be more factors.

my personal view 2.8L is on higher side for a 10 year old car.
Hi Star,

Thanks for your reply.

1. Will check on the IDV tomorrow.
2. The insurance is valid for another three months. 50% NCB.
3. Tyres would need to be replaced immediately - they are 10 years old but still have tread left on them. However, I would rather not take a chance.
4. ICE is original Honda cassette deck!!!!! Will need to be replaced.
5. Seats covered with Stanley leather. Just need a little sprucing up. Otherwise in excellent condition.
6. Clutch seems O.K. Car was pulling well. Any other way to check?
7. Wheels are original Honda alloys. In perfect condition.
8. Accident history : One minor rear shunt about 7 years ago.
9. Exterior paint in good nick. However, some small rust patch near the rear door.
10. Underbody - don't know yet. Will have to put on a ramp tomorrow.
11. Investment : New tyres, ICE and film. Probably about 30K.
12. Buying in Bombay.
13. Same RTO. No re-registering required.
14. Value of trust. Good point. We have been friends for the last 15 years, so....
15. Probably about Rs. 5,000/=. Then again, he would never go to a car dealer to sell.

Do let me know what you think about the purchase now.

What I am most concerned about is availability and cost of spare parts.

This is a 2000 model and one of the first few Vtecs in the city.

Kind Regards and Thanks again,

SS
Old 15th August 2010, 23:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
Is it a OHC type 1 or type 2. I presume finding parts for type 2 should not be a problem. Type 1 is going to be a problem.

I suggest you PM gto, iraghava and the likes [people who have owned a vtec] to get proper guidance. They are they best help you can find in t-bhp!

Hi Scuderia,

It is a 2000 model so I guess it is a Type 1?
I am no expert on Honda's and hence requesting help here.

SS
Old 15th August 2010, 23:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi suzuki san

Though I dont own a Vtec, I own a 2003 OHC AT but I think I can help you with your queries:

The Vtec only came in Type 2 so yours is a Type 2 model. Spare parts are not a problem for the OHC. Available in plenty at Opera House in town. Since the car was owned by your old friend there is trust but just to know exactly what work the car might require, you could take it to a Honda service station just to get a gist of what work the car might require. You can get a list and post it here. The price seems a little high for a 2000 model so I think you should negotiate. Has the car been serviced at the Honda Authorised service station throughout its life? You could get hold of a service history too just to check. If all goes well and you do decide to buy the car, you will have to get the 60,000 kms service done soon and its a semi major service.

Hope the above helps . Anything else will be glad to help.
Dippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 23:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Scuderia,

It is a 2000 model so I guess it is a Type 1?
I am no expert on Honda's and hence requesting help here.

SS
Theres no type 1 Vtec. Only Type 2 has Vtec (2000-mid 2003, the one came with crystal lights)
Unknownsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 10:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well since it belongs to a friend of yours then you'd know better the condition it has been in all these years.

The only point I want to comment on is the price. Its at least 50k more than the current market price. Please negotiate else it's not worth it.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 10:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi Suzuki san

I see that within 3 months you need to spend the following

1. Transfer of vehicle in your name
2. Insurance
3. Tyres, ICE, 60K KM service
4. Please check everything else e.g. airfilter, AC related etc.

i still feel the asking price is very high. A typical life of the vehicle is 15 years. Considering the vehicle being bought at RS 8Lacs, the value of the vehicle as of now stands 2.66 Lacs asuming zero w&t, you have to substract the cost of repairs needed minus 50% of the sale commission or IDV which ever is lower.

Quote:
What I am most concerned about is availability and cost of spare parts.
This is a 2000 model and one of the first few Vtecs in the city.
please do your due deligence, get it assessed at the Authorized Honda Service center, get an opinion from the workshop manager about the availabilty of spares.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 11:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Hi suzuki san

Though I dont own a Vtec, I own a 2003 OHC AT but I think I can help you with your queries:

The Vtec only came in Type 2 so yours is a Type 2 model. Spare parts are not a problem for the OHC. Available in plenty at Opera House in town. Since the car was owned by your old friend there is trust but just to know exactly what work the car might require, you could take it to a Honda service station just to get a gist of what work the car might require. You can get a list and post it here. The price seems a little high for a 2000 model so I think you should negotiate. Has the car been serviced at the Honda Authorised service station throughout its life? You could get hold of a service history too just to check. If all goes well and you do decide to buy the car, you will have to get the 60,000 kms service done soon and its a semi major service.

Hi Dippy,

Thanks a lot for the info.
My main concern was the spare parts.
Living in Andgeri, one does not want to have to keep trooping off to Opera House - but O.K. at least they are available.
All servicing has been done at Honda Auth. SS.
I should get the service history today.
I also feel that the asking price is about 50K too much especially as I will have to fit new tyres, ICE, tints etc. which is going to set me back about 30K.
Thing is it's rather embarrasing to start bargaining with a friend.

Anyway, thanks again.

Regards,

SS
Old 16th August 2010, 11:33   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi Suzuki san

I see that within 3 months you need to spend the following

1. Transfer of vehicle in your name
2. Insurance
3. Tyres, ICE, 60K KM service
4. Please check everything else e.g. airfilter, AC related etc.

i still feel the asking price is very high. A typical life of the vehicle is 15 years. Considering the vehicle being bought at RS 8Lacs, the value of the vehicle as of now stands 2.66 Lacs asuming zero w&t, you have to substract the cost of repairs needed minus 50% of the sale commission or IDV which ever is lower.

please do your due deligence, get it assessed at the Authorized Honda Service center, get an opinion from the workshop manager about the availabilty of spares.

Hi Star,

Thanks your last.
The actual purchase price in 2000 was Rs. 9.6L
I also feel the asking price is high but feel awkward to bargain with a friend. Let's see. May give it a try.
No sale commission involved here but Yes! I will have to pay for the transfer.

Having looked at the car closely in daylight this morning, there is some rust on one of the doors. Also some rust on the securing bolts of the windshield washer, A/C hose clamps, radiator clamps etc. Small chip on the front windscreen. Some minor scrapes on the bumpers but I reckon the paint touch up will set me back another 5 to 6K.

Are you aware of any good Honda Service Station in the Western suburbs?

Regards,

SS
Old 16th August 2010, 11:34   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Well since it belongs to a friend of yours then you'd know better the condition it has been in all these years.

The only point I want to comment on is the price. Its at least 50k more than the current market price. Please negotiate else it's not worth it.

Hi Kochar,

Agree with you.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

SS
Old 16th August 2010, 11:38   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Hi suzuki san

Hi Dippy,

One last thing.

Do you know any good Honda Auth. Service Stn. in the Western suburbs? I live at Lokhandwala - Andheri (West).

Thanks a lot.

SS
Old 16th August 2010, 11:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Solitaire Honda in Borivli E is great. Availability of spare parts shouldn't be a problem unless you require something that usually doesn't require replacement. Apart from Opera House, keep one more guy handy. This guy called Deven Patkar in Kurla CST can get you damn near any part for a Honda City, new or old. His shop is in a bylane just before the new Mercedes showroom where an Ichibaan showroom used to be. Ask around in Kurla, most people know him well. Anything missing can be procured from the US online. Most internal parts are interchangeable with various Honda Civics sold in the US over the years.

2.8L is a bit on the higher side, considering the external condition of the car. Get the engine number if you can and post it here. That should tell which batch the car was made in. But at the end of the day, its an OHC VTEC and there is nothing close to it in the same price bracket. It won't let you down, ever.

Last edited by pranavt : 16th August 2010 at 11:54.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote