Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: which auto car?
Vento Automatic Petrol 36 48.65%
Honda City Automatic 38 51.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd September 2010, 13:16   #31
BHPian

also guys any comments on how is the fuel consumption in both these cars? I remember seeing 4.8km/l when i was TD'ing the vento and was shocked to see such a low milage. The same dumbass salesman gave some explanation which i believed simply because i wanted to believe.
subodh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 15:46   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post
also guys any comments on how is the fuel consumption in both these cars? I remember seeing 4.8km/l when i was TD'ing the vento and was shocked to see such a low milage. The same dumbass salesman gave some explanation which i believed simply because i wanted to believe.
So this will be new record of sorts for Mileage of 4.8 km/l from Vento, after i-10 Autobox which owners complain of giving 6-7 km/l. In ANHC AT even if u drive hard it will stay around 8-9 km/l, for normal traffic in bangalore it gives around 9-10km/l and higways 15-16 kmp/l.

If its really showing 4.8km/l then you can average Vento city average as around 5-6 km/l in city traffic, Did you check for how much kms it was showing the mileage for? Buyers have to be extremely careful to buy if its going to give such low mileage, Hope someone soon comes up with correct mileage report for Vento AT not ARAI or similar reports which is far from truth.

Dont go on standard mileage report such as ARAI . Even honda city AT mileage report from ARAI is about 17.5km/l, when i called the car for test drive it was showing 9.5km/l and i was shocked and asked the sales guys, he gave some excuse. But the fact is in bangalore Traffice ANHC AT gives around 10km/l only, my friends ANHC AT driving at Hyderabad was giving around 12km/l.

Last edited by shamanth : 23rd September 2010 at 15:57.
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 16:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

Both the City and the Vento A/T are at par i feel, in most aspects. Like GTO pointed out, the City's A/T gearbox is at least two notches lower. I havnt yet driven the Vento A/T, just took a ride in it and i could feel the difference. Im sure the diffrence will be more when i can drive it myself. Trim levels in both are almost equal. If one lacks paddle shifts, the other lacks climate control and so on. Overall if you see due to its European pedigree, the VW feels and looks more sturdy. The way the doors shut, the way the feel is inside the car and in general, it looks and feels more sturdy. Price wise (on road)the Vento has an advantage as it is priced below the Honda A/T. I feel the Vento petrol might loose out on sales due to the buzz that its just a Polo with a boot, which is not entirely true.

The City's low end torque in the A/T is boring but in city bumper to bumper driving, one does not exactly need the thump. Once it hits the right rev counters, the transition is smooth from a pussycat into a wild cat. Added bonus is the paddles which help you shift up or down as per your driving style.

Honda's proven quality and marvelous engines might have the edge here. Add to it that Honda's depreciate very slowly.

My heart would say Honda but my mind would say Vento. Difficult choice to make here.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 17:06   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
My heart would say Honda but my mind would say Vento. Difficult choice to make here.
Works the opposite way round for me mate
my heart would go for volkswagen but my mind would go for honda
fink_ployd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 18:22   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Automatic Gearbox: No contest, the one in the City is far superior. Better shifts, quicker response time and paddles to play with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Like GTO pointed out, the City's A/T gearbox is at least two notches lower.
GTO has actually rated the City's AT higher and not couple of notches lower.

I don't know if someone pointed out already, if acceleration is important, Vento At would be at least 3 seconds slower to 0-100 kmph.

Things I dont like in ANHC are the steering feel, Head room (actually the headroom is good but roof starts curving down right on your face and you need to bend down your head to see the signals etc) and the infamous GC. Also the ride on highway is not settled with the tail waging a bit all the time.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 19:24   #36
BHPian

Took the vento AT for a short test drive, I found the AT quite good,smooth and linear in power delivery, max speed I could take the vento was about 80 Km/hr. Did not find anything to complain about in terms of drivability, Steering feel could have been better if I have to nitpick!

Having driven my City AT for more than 31,000 Kms, I find the car a hooty and the AT is as good as it can get for the price it is offered.

I use the paddles quite regularly.

I agree with Guna on the steering feel of the ANHC, It could have been better, not that it is bad, but it could have been better. Rest no complaints.

Having done lot of highway driving with the car, I am pretty impressed with the highway manners of the car in all aspects.

Strong cross winds does unsettle the car on the highway though!

I Would vote for ANHC.
netarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 20:21   #37
BHPian

ok guys after both the test drives and going back to test drive vento, BOOKED the vento automatic today in evening. The delivery period they have given is of 2 months but i am guessing that it might come earlier. EXCITED!!!

It was a very close competition between the two cars and then i think vento won because of following points:
1. Its a new car
2. It has got Ac vents at the back and my dad mostly travels in the back seat 70% of the time.
3. In our family everyone agreed on a point that we like the sober underplayed looks of Vento more than honda city's more aggressive looks.
4. Vento feels more solid and has got more ground clearance. Since we are in to drilling business, our cars also tend to go offroad and vento felt like a better choice between the two.
5. Honda city's paddle shift, although really nice were kind of nuisance for my father when driving.
6. Since we travel quite a lot, Vento felt more solid at higher speeds
7. Built quality of vento felt better in overall terms as our cars get abused quite a lot
8. The engine response in both the cars was comparable. since this was the first time i was driving automatics, i could not frankly make out the difference between the two gear boxes and thats why decided to go with other stuff.

Thanks a lot guys. you have been truly helpful in making the decisions by providing helpful insights.

Thats what coming at the top of my mind but if i think of something more, will add on to this.

Last edited by subodh : 23rd September 2010 at 20:40.
subodh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 21:12   #38
Team-BHP Support

I say Vento AT. Surely it's better than tha insipid-feeling ANHC AT that I test drove. The paddles shift loses it charm in the first few minutes, while the rest of the package is truly unappealing (horribly overdone interiors, short service windows, obscene pricing etc.)
The Vento is classy though understated and has unmatched build quality. Tiptronic is a reasonable enough substitue for the paddles that I can live with.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 22:59   #39
BHPian

Default One time cost v/s Every refuel cost

ANHC AT is around 55K costly then vento AT (Ex showroom Delhi), but the average of vento AT is not sure at this point of time.

To bridge the difference between prices, honda is currently giving insurance @1INR, which is like at least a saving of 25K (Approx. for City AT).

Hondas are famous for its low maintenance / servicing cost and there are ample threads of city/civic with their maintenance costs.

Like the famous TV AD where the whole country is fuel average driven, one thing is sure any average in single digit is going to hit the heart like anything.

CITY AT has proved itself and in worst conditions it gives at least an average of 10KMPL and on highway the figures crossing easily 15KMPL mark.

For low end tourque, if one really need, try starting it in 'S' mode and feel the difference.

Guys i have paddled shifted down in 'D' mode and it touched speed of 85 in 2nd gear at 6700 RPM, in 3rd gear it touched 120 and didnt redlined after which i shifted up to 4th gear.
TheBeastFieast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 23:16   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post

Guys i have paddled shifted down in 'D' mode and it touched speed of 85 in 2nd gear at 6700 RPM, in 3rd gear it touched 120 and didnt redlined after which i shifted up to 4th gear.
I thought the City would have higher top speeds in the gears. I dont think your info is right, I think the City would cross 100kmph in 2nd gear itself.

S mode makes a difference in low end torque? How is that possible?
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 00:28   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fink_ployd View Post
Exact for me, the vento with its features like ACC, Rear AC Vent, Front Seat movement controller from back, German engineering etc. tempts to heart, but head says, "look at the peace of mind".

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I thought the City would have higher top speeds in the gears. I dont think your info is right, I think the City would cross 100kmph in 2nd gear itself.

S mode makes a difference in low end torque? How is that possible?
Let me correct my self. In practical conditions and from layman point of view all one wants is to left everyone behind when starting from a traffic signal on the word 'Go'. This is where 'S' mode helps.

I have observed in normal driving condition in 'D' mode, down shifting happens at 1100-1200 RPM and upshift happens between 1800-2200. If one uses a heavy foot on gas then its kind of ECU Override and then upshift happens at 3500 RPM. This can be manually overridden by manual down shift using paddles, post which the upshift will be at readline or manual or auto after sometime. This way i touched 85 in 2nd gear.

But If I start in 'S' mode then upshift doesnt happen till 4500-5000 RPM mark and that is when one normally upshift using paddles after which it is semi-automatic i.e. Downshifting is auto while Upshift is manual and even on redline it will drop the RPM by 500 but will not upshift.

Whenever the boy racer within me want some fun / race, i use the 'S' mode and semi-auto mode. On highway I use the 'D' mode and for sudden acceleration or if I am annoyed by someone I downshift and then all know what happens. zoom... there it goes...
TheBeastFieast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 01:11   #42
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
Yeah, I guess it depends on the person.

For me, I can control the AT boxes I have by the right foot itself.(probably the reason I dont use paddleshifts/tiptronics) I mean.. I know exactly how much to press the accelerator to go a gear down, and how much I can go in the same gear before it goes down etc.. and how much to leave the accelerator so that I up-shift. It's kinda difficult to explain, but you've driven an AT extensively so you know what I mean.

Yes, the civic's low end torque is even worse than the city. But the gearbox is miles better. Compared to the city it is instantaneous! IIRC the civic engine was made specially keeping the AT gearbox in mind.(or they were made for each other, something like that) I find the civic accelerates much better than the city.. although it doesn't power through with torque (like the superb).
I found the vento gearbox much more intuitive and responsive than the city. Let me give you an example. There were 5 of us in the city. On kick-down, the car took around 2-3 seconds to downshift, and it downshifted 1 gear. It was almost like I was feathering the accelerator! no movement at all! The vento on the other hand downshifted 2 gears and leapt like a cat.
I couldn't have said it better. Once you're used to driving an A/T (especially something like the DSG or the 7-speed G-tronic), you don't need to touch the shifter. You can control upshifts / downshifts using the accelerator. Instant acceleration is provided by kickdown (2 downshifts).
Akki_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 23:48   #43

Same here. Heart says Volkawagen, Mind says Honda City. If VW had a few more years (and good ones at that) in India under its belt, then consumer confidence added with its overall quality would be a winner. But Honda have an impeccable record in India for more than a decade and even though overall quality doesn't warrant its pricing, the proven engine will last many a mile. -lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by fink_ployd View Post
lonecrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 09:44   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonecrusader View Post
But Honda have an impeccable record in India for more than a decade and even though overall quality doesn't warrant its pricing, the proven engine will last many a mile. -lc
You have said it. Though we may deride the quality and the competition offers "perceived" benefits, buyers are willing to pay extra for what is being offered.
So there must be some thing we are all missing when we say that Honda Products are over priced. What we sometimes tend to neglect, is that the vehicle ownership for an average Indian means much more than performance and plush interiors. It means hassle free running, good average and an excellent resale. So that in the end the total cost of ownership over its life is very low.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 19:35   #45
BHPian

I have test driven the Vento A/T and the ANHC V A/T , and I can safely say that apart from the interior quality difference which goes towards the Vento, the pick up and fun to drive factor is definitely with the Honda City.

I couldnt help but notice that the Vento seems to have been built around the chauffeur driven exective whereas the City does something with your soul when you drive her. My two pence.
Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote