View Poll Results: which auto car?
Vento Automatic Petrol 36 48.65%
Honda City Automatic 38 51.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30th October 2010, 22:58   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
For me, I can control the AT boxes I have by the right foot itself.(probably the reason I dont use paddleshifts/tiptronics) I mean.. I know exactly how much to press the accelerator to go a gear down, and how much I can go in the same gear before it goes down etc.. and how much to leave the accelerator so that I up-shift. It's kinda difficult to explain, but you've driven an AT extensively so you know what I mean.

I found the vento gearbox much more intuitive and responsive than the city. Let me give you an example. There were 5 of us in the city. On kick-down, the car took around 2-3 seconds to downshift, and it downshifted 1 gear. It was almost like I was feathering the accelerator! no movement at all! The vento on the other hand downshifted 2 gears and leapt like a cat.
That's exactly right. I'm not sure why people are claiming that the gearbox in ANHC AT is superior to the Vento's. Keeping in mind my old Civic AT in the US for years, I couldn't agree more with the post above. I've driven the ANHC AT twice (once when it was launched and then just a few weeks ago on the trip to India) and have been disappointed with the throttle/gearshift co-ordination. While the Vento lacks overall juice for outright engine performance, I still feel the gearbox is superior and better mashed with the driving characteristics of the car, than the ANHC's is.

For the overall question: There's not much to choose between the two cars in terms of performance for the Automatics (the manual ANHC is a different story). The ANHC AT might be a little better for top end juice, but the Vento feels more relaxed and drivable. The ANHC would probably have better sales service and resale. Against this the Vento offers better ride/handling and a much superior build. To me the Vento seems like a more feature rich and VFM package (given it's price), so that would be my pick.

That said, one can't go wrong with either car.

Last edited by imjimmy : 30th October 2010 at 23:01.
imjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 23:18   #47
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : One-liners that add ZERO value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP. In fact, they are considered as SPAM. Please do not hit the post submit button unless you have something of value to add to the thread.

We advise you to visit our board rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 31st October 2010 at 20:07.
drive_or_die is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 17th November 2010, 12:11   #48

go for auto city as practical my friend has just bought one the vento auto and it gives a horrible milage..
Binoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 13:09   #49
BHPian

I went with my friend for test drive, MID mileage which was showing around 6 kmpl which was for around 100 kms. So One has to be very careful to buy, if it gives mileage of 5-6 in city driving condition. And ANHC AT give double the mileage of this, even if you rip hard. It will be very hard on owners pocket if it gives such mileage, even if had better build and handling you wont be able to drive much with that fuel economy.

My ANHC AT gives 9-10 inside bangalore city and outside city 15-16 kmpl most time i rip it.
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 15:20   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
My ANHC AT gives 9-10 inside bangalore city and outside city 15-16 kmpl most time i rip it.
My ANHC VAT is giving the same average in Faridabad city and same on highway with careless driving (ripping). If i drive carefully I get +1 avg to above.
TheBeastFieast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 19:30   #51

I completed around 3k Kms. on my ANHC V AT. My daily drive is about 45 Kms. to and fro with about 15 Kms. of that is bumper to bumper traffic. I have been getting 12 to 12.5 kmpl in the city and around 15 to 15.5 kmpl on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway.

Very good figures for me considering that my earlier Palio 1.2 ELX gave me lesser numbers by at least 1 to 1.5 kmpl on both counts.
joshinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 13:57   #52
BHPian

Default Re: Vento auto v/s Honda City Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshinm View Post
I completed around 3k Kms. on my ANHC V AT. My daily drive is about 45 Kms. to and fro with about 15 Kms. of that is bumper to bumper traffic. I have been getting 12 to 12.5 kmpl in the city and around 15 to 15.5 kmpl on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway.

Very good figures for me considering that my earlier Palio 1.2 ELX gave me lesser numbers by at least 1 to 1.5 kmpl on both counts.
I was in the same predicament 3 months back.

Finally decided to get the ANHC. In case you didn't already know - VW pre sales absolutely sucks!! - the called me yesterday, 3 months after I had inquired about the Vento auto. Not to mention the long wait for the Vento delivery!!

I have clocked close to 3000 kms and drove to Poona last weekend.

The car returned an overall mileage of 17.3 kmpl with the AC ALWAYS ON - Best recorded mileage on the Highway driving between 100 kmph - 120 kmph AC ALWAYS ON- 19.1 Kmpl. I also clocked around 190 kmph on the express way on the same drive.

Under normal city driving conditions - I have been averaging around 13 Kmpl

You cant go wrong with the ANHC!! And you will not regret choosing it over the Vento!!

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers..
Attached Thumbnails
VW Vento Auto v/s Honda City Auto-img00156201012042116.jpg  

Last edited by R32_GTR : 21st December 2010 at 13:59.
R32_GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 18:53   #53
Team-BHP Support

I guess this is an old thread but I popped in and found a few random statements that needed correcting, so here goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Vento has the tiptronic transmission, which is similar to what is seen in Corolla Altis AT. It is expected to provide a "clutch-less/semi-automatic" feeling though I am not sure how many will end up using it in real life. It cannot be called a manual override as the shift pattern is strictly governed by ECU/electronics. Paddle shifts on Hondas are much more ergonomic and fun to use.
It's very much a manual override. The only conditions under which the box auto-shifts is when you hit the redline (upshift) and when you decelerate rapidly (downshift to prevent engine dragging). Else you can time and control the upshifts and downshifts as you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
With the vento launch, they are giving discounts, so the price of both the vento auto and the city auto is more or less the same on road. (+- 2k)
Nope- ANHC is much more expensive than the Vento in AT avatar. Over a lac- even including all discounts, free insurance etc. it should be about 50K OTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
So this will be new record of sorts for Mileage of 4.8 km/l from Vento, after i-10 Autobox which owners complain of giving 6-7 km/l
(...)
If its really showing 4.8km/l then you can average Vento city average as around 5-6 km/l in city traffic, Did you check for how much kms it was showing the mileage for? Buyers have to be extremely careful to buy if its going to give such low mileage, Hope someone soon comes up with correct mileage report for Vento AT not ARAI or similar reports which is far from truth.
Actually ARAI *underreports* the mileage (14 kmpl). I got 22 kmpl on a 70km stretch of expressway (Mumbai-Pune). Even accounting for 10% MID error (which is too much) I got 20 kmpl . Please check my ownership thread for pics.
In Pune city I get around 10-11 kmpl- in Mumbai that drops to 9-10. Highways under controlled driving (no ripping) I get 18 but typically around 15 kmpl.
The low figure reported by subodh is attributable to a couple of factors:
  • Starting cold the FE is always lowest because of the amount of fuel consumed for the start itself. It takes a few kilometres to catch up.
  • subodh did his TD (like me) at VW Pune which is situated in heart of downtown and the maximum they allow you to TD it is about 2 km.
  • The MID position must have been "1" (current trip) rather than "2" (default tripmeter) so the mileage reported seems even worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I don't know if someone pointed out already, if acceleration is important, Vento At would be at least 3 seconds slower to 0-100 kmph.
Wow that's a sweeping statement if I ever saw one! AFAIK there is a 1 second difference to the 100 mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
I was in the same predicament 3 months back.

Finally decided to get the ANHC. In case you didn't already know - VW pre sales absolutely sucks!! - the called me yesterday, 3 months after I had inquired about the Vento auto. Not to mention the long wait for the Vento delivery!!
Yup- this is absolutely 100% true . IN fact almost everyone on the forums who's gone for the Vento has done it in spite of the sales experience and not because of it!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 19:37   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Wow that's a sweeping statement if I ever saw one! AFAIK there is a 1 second difference to the 100 mark.
I think i was wrong when I said Vento will be 3 seconds slower but it may not be just 1 second slower either.
ANHC MT does 0-100 kmph in 10+ secs where as Vento MT seem to take 12+ secs. I would add 2 seconds to the ATs of both cars.
BTW do we know ACI performance figures for ANHC (I think it is 12 ish) and vento ATs?
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:53   #55
BHPian

Adding to the confusion & a bit late in the day. Drove both the cars, the City over a drive from Bandra to Colaba & the Vento AT when i went to Test drive it. With the City, my view was that the gear shifts in 'D' mode were similar to my i10 AT, a bit delay of about 2 secs in downshifting in kickdown mode. But with the Vento, it downshifted really faster in comparison. It was as if it downshifted 2-3 gears when i pressed the accelerator & the car just whooshed forward. I may not be able to express the whole feeling very clearly but those who drive automatics extensively may get the drift of what i'm trying to say. Honestly speaking, the better 0-100 timings of the City wouldn't really matter to me in real time driving conditions as most of my driving is within the city in traffic. Plus the other things i did not like about the City:

1. The inherent soft suspension from the Honda stable which is not to my liking. Tell me, how many opportunities do you get to cross speed breakers in an angular manner in urban driving conditions. My heart would bleed every time i'd graze the under body.

2. The puny thin sheet metal used.

3. Having the extra horses under the hood is not as important as having the chassis to utilize its full potential, which is the sore point in the City.

Buttt, the Honda A.S.S. compared to the VW is way better. Secondly, the engine in the City is brilliant as well as the iPod/USB Integration along with Steering Mounted Controls.

My personal views. And yes, i've booked the Vento AT.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 2nd May 2011 at 10:57. Reason: typos
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:21   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

I have just one thing to say here, I hope all you guys reporting FE figures aren't going solely by the MID. The best way is to do it tankful to tankful and those are really the only figures I would be inclined to believe. Even the MID on the 320d gives me an optimistic figure sometimes, my inaugural drive to Pune apparently recording 16.6 kmpl, while the actual figure was 15.8 kmpl. I agree that you might get closer to the real figure by estimating some margin for error etc, but it's just best to do some calculations after each tankful instead, IMO.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:41   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Buttt, the Honda A.S.S. compared to the VW is way better. Secondly, the engine in the City is brilliant as well as the iPod/USB Integration along with Steering Mounted Controls.

My personal views. And yes, i've booked the Vento AT.
First of all, heartiest congrats on getting Vento AT. Its a very sensible car. You must go through noopster's ownership thread of his Vento AT. He has been able to extract excellent FE figures from his Vento AT.

Regarding the A.S.S. of Honda being 'way' better than VW, I do not agree this point completely. Its like comparing zero with 10. VW A.S.S. is still a new thing (even if they were here since long time with Jetta and Passat, but hardly any people knew VW brand before Polo and Vento). I think we will have to wait for around a year to get complete feedback on VW A.S.S. But , good that it did not prove to be a deal breaker for you.

Congrats once again. Do start your ownership thread. BTW, which colour?
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:53   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
First of all, heartiest congrats on getting Vento AT. Its a very sensible car. You must go through noopster's ownership thread of his Vento AT. He has been able to extract excellent FE figures from his Vento AT.

Regarding the A.S.S. of Honda being 'way' better than VW, I do not agree this point completely. Its like comparing zero with 10. VW A.S.S. is still a new thing (even if they were here since long time with Jetta and Passat, but hardly any people knew VW brand before Polo and Vento). I think we will have to wait for around a year to get complete feedback on VW A.S.S. But , good that it did not prove to be a deal breaker for you.

Congrats once again. Do start your ownership thread. BTW, which colour?
Hey Ajay, thanks. I got my usual colour. Candy White. Yes i have been following Anoop's thread closely. The A.S.S. was not a deal breaker for the simple reason that you have to be fully convinced about what you want out of your car. If it were only for A.S.S., the SX4 would be a no brainer.
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 13:22   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
I have just one thing to say here, I hope all you guys reporting FE figures aren't going solely by the MID. The best way is to do it tankful to tankful and those are really the only figures I would be inclined to believe.
Agree absolutey. When I fill up at Shell, the only pump in Pune that I actually trust, I get a FE difference of 0.5 kmpl or so. Of late have migrated away from them because of the insane price differential, Rs10 when last checked, and the differnce has gone up to over 1 kmpl. Am pretty sure it is meter tampering at work. Anyway the point is that you can expect a 5-10% error in the MID FE over tank2tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Hey Ajay, thanks. I got my usual colour. Candy White. Yes i have been following Anoop's thread closely.
Nice to know (on both counts ). Yours will be the 4th candy white active on TBHP after Jesal's, subodh's and mine- there are a couple of others as well, don't remember since the owners are in hibernation! White looks pretty awesome BTW. We should do a photoshoot of the white ATs sometime- drive down to Pune if you can or we can meet halfway.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 18:06   #60
BHPian

I would like to mention on this thread that I did buy the vento AT against the ANHC AT and I am completely satisfied with the car The tiptronic system in vento works like a dream. I did a Nashik - Pune run in 4 hours 15 min flat in peak traffic against similar car left at same time took 6 hours. The speed of upshift and Downshift in the Vento gear box is a delight and once in Tiptronic mode, you really dont miss the Manual cars.

Talking in terms of the MIlage, I generally get around 9 to 9.5 KMPL in city driving and around 11 on highways (I always rip the car) full tank to full tank.

Last edited by subodh : 30th May 2011 at 18:09.
subodh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote