Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: which auto car?
Vento Automatic Petrol 36 48.65%
Honda City Automatic 38 51.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31st January 2013, 17:23   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Vento auto v/s Honda City Auto

Right, everything that has to be said has been said, but let me weigh in with my 2 cents even so.

There are plenty of options for you to choose from, so it's imperative to pick the car that suits your needs best. Clarify what it is you seek most and get the car that satisfies that one need above all else.

Does rear space matter? Then the Scala has to be the hands down winner.

Does reliability, resale and hassle-free ownership matter most to you? Then the City is your best bet.

Do you want the best drivers car? That would probably be down to the Vento and Fiesta then.

Do you want the most gizmos for your buck? Then the Verna or Fiesta seems to make a lot more sense than others.

So many permutations and combinations. But as you can see, I haven't mentioned fuel efficiency/mileage as a differentiating factor. If you're picking a petrol AT sedan on that basis, you need your head checked

I went for the City because it's a fill-it, shut-it, forget-it kind of car. I love that about it. Can't go wrong with the Vento, Fiesta or Scala either, just that you need to prioritize your needs, that'll help you sort the wheat from the chaff.

PS: If you're cheesed off about VW based on your experiences abroad, not sure you'll be particularly enamored here. Based off my VW pre-sales experience, you'd think you're doing them a favor buying the car!
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 16:33   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
PS: If you're cheesed off about VW based on your experiences abroad, not sure you'll be particularly enamored here. Based off my VW pre-sales experience, you'd think you're doing them a favor buying the car!
I called VW 3 times already - and they missed their appointment twice - saying their only AT demo car isn't available. You'd think they'd call me ahead of time to tell me that instead of waiting for me to call after the appointment time. This, combined with my prejudice, made me write VW off my list - shouldn't have bothered to begin with!

Off to testdrive Scala today and Skoda tomorrow....
Chandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 12:55   #78
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, that sounds a lot like the experience I had. Just puzzling at times really. Nonetheless, onwards and upwards. Do let us know how you found the Scala/Rapid. I think yours would be the first Scala AT on the forum should you purchase one!
iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 19:42   #79
BHPian

I am also facing this dilemma. My heart and mind is leaning towards city. However, few things I am missing in honda.

1. climate control
2. auto door lock while running
3. one touch glass opening

I am not sure, whether Honda will come up internal face-lift to incorporate these as they are standard among the competing models. I can wait for few months for these.
ambadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 19:56   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambadan View Post

1. climate control
Overrated feature. As long as the AC works fine why worry whether it is automatic or manual? As a general rule, Japanese manufacturers make better ACs than Germans.
Quote:
You can fit an aftermarket device like Autocop for 3K and get this feature.
Quote:
This is apparently a safety feature. Even high end Japanese cars apparently only have the one-touch up/down on driver side door only.
Quote:
I am not sure, whether Honda will come up internal face-lift to incorporate these as they are standard among the competing models. I can wait for few months for these.
It's doubtful and to be honest, none of the points you have mentioned are real dealbreakers in my opinion. Mind you, I am a Vento AT owner and the fact that I am saying this ought to make you feel comfortable about your choice
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 21:10   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am also facing this dilemma. My heart and mind is leaning towards city. However, few things I am missing in honda.
1. climate control
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Overrated feature. As long as the AC works fine why worry whether it is automatic or manual? As a general rule, Japanese manufacturers make better ACs than Germans.
+1 to Noopster. ACC should not be a major deal breaker. Overall given the options City is still one the best AT out there the in the market. But it is very good to see this segment getting crowded with all kinds of technologies. CVT, Dual Clutch, turbo charged petrols etc !
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 09:09   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
It's doubtful and to be honest, none of the points you have mentioned are real dealbreakers in my opinion. Mind you, I am a Vento AT owner and the fact that I am saying this ought to make you feel comfortable about your choice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
+1 to Noopster. ACC should not be a major deal breaker. Overall given the options City is still one the best AT out there the in the market. But it is very good to see this segment getting crowded with all kinds of technologies. CVT, Dual Clutch, turbo charged petrols etc !

with both of you that the points mentioned are not a real deal breaker. However, it is "ye dil mange more". Mostly I will settle with honda city without all these features. But, if they are planning for adding these in near future, i am ready to wait.

Like Noopster mentioned in his vento ownership thread, I love the feature of rolling down the windows when you are approaching the car in a mid summer day. With my indigo, I am really struggling when the car is parked in open sun. I have to roll down 4 windows, open the doors, switch on AC, wait for 2 mins and then start the journey.

What i really like in city are style, reliability, engine, paddle shift, better seating position for third person in rear seat, better visibility through rear view mirrors etc, better positioning of arm rest when compared to vento.
ambadan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 19:46   #83

I looked around on the forum but could not find a more suitable thread to post my question, and I didn't want to create a new one unnecessarily.

We are in the market for the Honda City V-AT. However, all the dealerships are coming back to us with the response that the V-AT model will be discontinued, and that they can't take any bookings for the car until some "management decision" is reached at Honda. They are, however, pushing the S-AT and the V-AT Sunroof models. Pretty much every dealer in Mumbai is singing the same tune.

Does anyone out here know what the real deal is, and whether this story about the V-AT possibly being discontinued has any credence?

Mods: let me know if this question takes the thread OT, and I will create a separate thread.
kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 16:38   #84
BHPian

Recently , I was researching in the used car market for used vento a/t and city a/t. Vento, being a VW must have aged well with the solid build quality and engineering finesse over the Honda. But I was completely surprised to see all the City a/t I tested faring much better than the vento a/t keeping all the other parameters constant i.e the manufacturing year and kms done.Ofcourse this depends a lot on the kind of usage and maintenance by the previous owners but I saw this trend on a lot of cars and hence, hard to ignore it. I was surprised to see rattling and squeaks in the ventos. Not that the city didnt have any but fared a bit better than the vento. I had the old Fabia1.4D which ran like new even after 65000kms on the odo and 5 years of abuse. No rattles, squeaks or any suspension noise. I feel that the german built quality has gone down with time and with more and more localisation in their cars in a price sensitive Indian market atleast this side of 15 lakh rupees.
Off topic. With no offence to anyone, but I can nowhere compare the build quality of the vento or rapid to the old Fabias and Octys.
Sagar.Agarwal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 13:01   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetic View Post
I looked around on the forum but could not find a more suitable thread to post my question, and I didn't want to create a new one unnecessarily.

We are in the market for the Honda City V-AT. However, all the dealerships are coming back to us with the response that the V-AT model will be discontinued, and that they can't take any bookings for the car until some "management decision" is reached at Honda. They are, however, pushing the S-AT and the V-AT Sunroof models. Pretty much every dealer in Mumbai is singing the same tune.

Does anyone out here know what the real deal is, and whether this story about the V-AT possibly being discontinued has any credence?

Mods: let me know if this question takes the thread OT, and I will create a separate thread.
Not sure if you already bought the car. Based on the info I have, I did not hear anything about V AT getting discontinued. Its available as an option, if you want to purchase it. In fact, I have booked one and expecting the delivery soon. I think V AT is a perfect model due to the availability of cruise control. Though you may not use it much, its there when you need it. If you are not particular about this, safely skip this model and go for S AT. You can not go wrong with this model either.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 12th August 2013 at 13:02. Reason: typo
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 21:49   #86

Thanks for that bsdbsd! We did in fact get the V-AT Sunroof model, as we couldn't wait any longer for more clarity over the V-AT availability. I guess this was one of those ploys employed by the dealer to clear existing stock. But we are happy with the purchase nevertheless, I am sure the sunroof will be occasionally appreciated, even with Mumbai's weather.
kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2013, 16:35   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetic View Post
Thanks for that bsdbsd! We did in fact get the V-AT Sunroof model, as we couldn't wait any longer for more clarity over the V-AT availability. I guess this was one of those ploys employed by the dealer to clear existing stock. But we are happy with the purchase nevertheless, I am sure the sunroof will be occasionally appreciated, even with Mumbai's weather.
Congratulations on your purchase. I got the delivery of my car 16th the Friday. I have driven about 50 kms since then. I did about 30 kms using cruise control, for the fun of it. Boy, its a pleasure! I am sure it will help us out during long drives.
bsdbsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:08   #88
BHPian

Quote:

1. climate control

I have an i20 with ACC and a honda amaze . Invariably in the i20 i first choose auto at 20 degrees and then I end up manually selecting blower speed as I find the auto setting too low for blowing speed . In my Amaze my blower is always at min and have never had to increase it till today , of course its the rainy season and not very hot . So ACCand manual AC should not be a deal breaker .
anky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 11:19   #89
BHPian

Quote:

1. climate control

Please. None of the above are deal-breakers. They are frill-features -or- good to have features. Not must have ones. Are you still waiting? Thought you would have booked the City before you completed reading this post.

(Hopefully this adds to other responses you may have received).

Edit 2:
Just saw that noopster has already addressed your questions. He is spot-on. Thanks to noopster.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 25th August 2013 at 11:22. Reason: typo
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 20:55   #90
BHPian

Default Automatic Sedan at 10 ... Verna or Vento ?

A couple of months back I drove the Polo Tsi and came back thoroughly impressed .... It seemed like the perfect upgrade to my i10 AT, which, while reliable, was a bit too unresponsive for my needs.

Cut to October ,... The Vento tsi was launched and it seemed it could do all that the Polo could and more.... Even the back seat space issue was solved. Promptly booked it and am now awaiting delivery towards the latter half of this month.

The GT had no competition at 8.12 ex showroom. However at 9.99 ex showroom for the Vento, an unlikely contender has suddenly sprung up.

Enter the Verna crdi EX AT - post discounts , this is actually cheaper than the Vento, gives diesel efficiency , loaded with features and will doubtless give better resale as well.

On the downside this has the BAD 4 speed box which will sap power, but will hopefully be negated by the big torquey engine. And the floaty suspension on undulating roads which needs really firm hands on the wheel. However since this car will be used primarily in the city, the high speed handling issues will not be a major factor.
The bigger issue is I just don't know how the CRDi AT drives since no dealer in Delhi has one for TD. So my inferences are all based on extrapolation from the crdi manual which could be hopelessly off target .

So my question , people - which one should it be ? Verna crdi AT or Vento tsi ? Will be keeping the car for 3 years and have limited usage - less than 1K km/ month .
JishD is offline   Reply With Quote