Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: which auto car?
Vento Automatic Petrol 36 48.65%
Honda City Automatic 38 51.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18th October 2013, 00:24   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Automatic Sedan at 10 ... Verna or Vento ?

Why did you want to replace your i10 with a Polo tsi in the first place? If the answer is dynamics of the car, then simply get the vento and forget about the verna. The Hyndai will bounce all over the place at any speed which is actually pretty unnerving, the gearbox as you seem to know is unimpressive, and you will lose the confidence to put on even slight bursts of speed in the city since the steering feels like the lightest input will send it speeding (has a pretty quick motor :P ) towards the divider across several lanes. To me, no amount of features can make up for such poor dynamics. i20 and elantra are unimpressive but not outright bad in this sense.
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 07:04   #92
Senior - BHPian

If the Volkswagen service network concerns bother you, it might even be a wise idea to include the Honda City Automatic into this list of options. It may not have a DSG box, but it is reasonably fun to drive (even has paddle shifters) and has much better interior space management than the other two. The City AT does a brilliant job of an all rounder which will give you peace of mind during the ownership phase, plus since you mentioned you would be selling the car in 3 years, I'm of the opinion it will hold better resale value than the other 2 cars you have shortlisted.

Perhaps the only thing going against it is this City is getting a bit long in the tooth now, but that may not matter since this car is only going to be around your home for 3 years. Good luck with your choice

Last edited by KarthikK : 18th October 2013 at 07:31.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 07:38   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
The City AT does a brilliant job of an all rounder which will give you peace of mind during the ownership phase, plus since you mentioned you would be selling the car in 3 years, I'm of the opinion it will hold better resale value than the other 2 cars you have shortlisted.
I think the City AT has been stopped and they are clearing stocks for next year.

Coming to OP's question:

- If Verna AT Diesel is cheaper than the Vento TSI, equation from logic point of view is solved!

- Then come the distractions....

- You will drive less than 1000 km per month; Will have limited access and wont keep the car for more than 3 years. Then the question pops out why not the TSI.

- You have all the right reasons to buy it. You might as well take that date with the German
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 07:50   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think the City AT has been stopped and they are clearing stocks for next year.
Oh ok this is news to me. The last time I was at the service centre (attached to showroom) some days ago, it was still available with some freebies. On a sly thought, what if one were to get hold of such remaining stocks at outrageous discounts during this 'clearance sale' period??

Vento TSI would no doubt be the best among these 3 for a more satisfying drive. How noticeable this satisfaction is, depends on who is going to use this car - JishD, spouse, parents or a chauffeur?? *winks* In the absence of the City AT, Vento TSI would be the hands down winner against Verna's 4-speed box.

Last edited by KarthikK : 18th October 2013 at 07:57.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 08:00   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Your monthly mileage of 1000km does not really warrant a diesel car. I would say stick on with the booking of Vento TSI. The car comes with a modern petrol engine and gearbox, and pretty well-loaded on safety.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 08:15   #96
Senior - BHPian

To keep it short & simple - Short fun drives? Go for the Vento TSi. Long cruising drives? Go for the Verna CRDi AT. The Verna's engine is quite torquey to leave you feeling 'slow' despide the old school transmission. And as far as servicing go, Hyundai is not cheaper than VW, so neither of these get any brownie points in this regard.

But the fun quotient and technological advancement of the Vento will always ganer my vote!
aravind.anand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 09:02   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh ok this is news to me. The last time I was at the service centre (attached to showroom) some days ago, it was still available with some freebies. On a sly thought, what if one were to get hold of such remaining stocks at outrageous discounts during this 'clearance sale' period??
Karthik, which showroom was this and when was it? I have been wanting to buy the City AT and called all dealers in Bangalore. Standard response is that there is no stock and it cannot be booked as Honda is no longer manufacturing it.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 09:29   #98
Senior - BHPian

Do also consider the new Fiesta AT. Brilliant car if you're driving or sitting in the front seat, stunning in that kinetic blue, absolutely reliable powershift dual clutch gearbox even comes with a 10 year, 2,40,000km warranty for the transmission itself, best feature kit around, superb cabin noise levels, has the exclusivity factor, and handles brilliantly as you would expect from the car.

Please take it for a spin, if you can deal with the strictly adequate engine, then go for it
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 09:38   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Karthik, which showroom was this and when was it? I have been wanting to buy the City AT and called all dealers in Bangalore. Standard response is that there is no stock and it cannot be booked as Honda is no longer manufacturing it.
City AT is no longer available in Gurgaon. Having TD'ed both the City AT in the past and the Tsi, can confidently say it is a no contest in favor of the DSG equipped vento in terms of engine responsiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Your monthly mileage of 1000km does not really warrant a diesel car. I would say stick on with the booking of Vento TSI. The car comes with a modern petrol engine and gearbox, and pretty well-loaded on safety.
The standard 50 km per day rule doesn't apply here since there is no differential in capex between the petrol and diesel cars. So straightaway I start saving 2k per month resulting in a net saving of 72k over the ownership period.

But the biggest factor by far is the resale since I'll be selling in three years - vento petrol prices are abysmally low in the used car market while Vernas hold their value decently.

Guess the conundrum I'm stuck in is what is the cost of ownership differential below which driving pleasure takes precedence ?

Quote:
Oh ok this is news to me. The last time I was at the service centre (attached to showroom) some days ago, it was still available with some freebies. On a sly thought, what if one were to get hold of such remaining stocks at outrageous discounts during this 'clearance sale' period?? Vento TSI would no doubt be the best among these 3 for a more satisfying drive. How noticeable this satisfaction is, depends on who is going to use this car - JishD, spouse, parents or a chauffeur?? *winks* In the absence of the City AT, Vento TSI would be the hands down winner against Verna's 4-speed box.
If it was chauffeur drive, my hands down choice would be a Scala manual .This will primarily be used by me for moderate driving with sporadic cheap thrills to spice up impending mid life crisis.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th October 2013 at 10:48.
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 09:54   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Do also consider the new Fiesta AT. Brilliant car if you're driving or sitting in the front seat, stunning in that kinetic blue, absolutely reliable powershift dual clutch gearbox even comes with a 10 year, 2,40,000km warranty for the transmission itself, best feature kit around, superb cabin noise levels, has the exclusivity factor, and handles brilliantly as you would expect from the car. Please take it for a spin, if you can deal with the strictly adequate engine, then go for it
There is sorry state at all Ford dealers. I was in market for auto sedan 3 months back and my obvious choice was Fiesta. Foes no more offering it in top of the line titanium. There is lot of stock at there factory from 2012 and that is all style. Colour choice then was also limited as my choice was Kinetic blue.
After a month of follow-ups I finally put my money on City V AT. I am glad that I did that then and later AT was discontinued.

It is not the greatest car, however Simplest of the technology, no turbo, no DSG and GOOD service makes it a better value than Germans. It is still better than FORD DSG version and stupid 1.5 ltr motor combinations. This is my conclusion after multiple long test drives.

Now that there is no City, Vento DSG is the better choice now, however long term reliability and VW service is still make one think should the 10 mn plus Rs be plonked on VW group.
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 10:01   #101
BHPian

JishD,
- I tried my best to get a Honda City AT about a month ago. Dealers didn't even let me make a booking
- Then I tried to buy Ford Fiesta. Dealers made it very clear that they could only sell 2012 model, that too if it's available.
- I tried to get the Polo AT - the waiting time was 3 months (initially quoted 6 months).
- I tried to get the Vento AT - again the waiting time was about 2 months.
- Almost booked a Verna Diesel AT - Liked the car very much. There were few issues: Soft suspension, Hits the big world class bumps in Bangalore, Headlight supposedly not powerful, Rear seats are a bit low, Dealer was not able to provide references (this was a big deal for me so I backed out).

I don't know how long you can wait. We are nearing end of 2013. Before you book your car find out when the dealer could deliver the car. That is an important factor and could have an impact on the choice you make.

I don't know how important is maintenance cost to you. Even if you own the vehicle for 3 years you still have to service it once in 6 months (I guess). As part of the homework of buying a new car I would check the servicing cost.

Lastly, since you plan to keep the car only for 3 years, I think it might make sense to go for a car with higher resale value.

There's a thread that might provide you some info on VW Polo:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...dos-donts.html (VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts)

All the best.

Last edited by kaizanfan : 18th October 2013 at 10:05.
kaizanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 10:43   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
A couple of months back I drove the Polo Tsi and came back thoroughly impressed .... It seemed like the perfect upgrade to my i10 AT, which, while reliable, was a bit too unresponsive for my needs.

Cut to October ,... The Vento tsi was launched and it seemed it could do all that the Polo could and more.... Even the back seat space issue was solved. Promptly booked it and am now awaiting delivery towards the latter half of this month.

The GT had no competition at 8.12 ex showroom. However at 9.99 ex showroom for the Vento, an unlikely contender has suddenly sprung up.

Enter the Verna crdi EX AT - post discounts , this is actually cheaper than the Vento, gives diesel efficiency , loaded with features and will doubtless give better resale as well.

On the downside this has the BAD 4 speed box which will sap power, but will hopefully be negated by the big torquey engine. And the floaty suspension on undulating roads which needs really firm hands on the wheel. However since this car will be used primarily in the city, the high speed handling issues will not be a major factor.
The bigger issue is I just don't know how the CRDi AT drives since no dealer in Delhi has one for TD. So my inferences are all based on extrapolation from the crdi manual which could be hopelessly off target .

So my question , people - which one should it be ? Verna crdi AT or Vento tsi ? Will be keeping the car for 3 years and have limited usage - less than 1K km/ month .
How soon do you have to make a decision? If you can wait a few months the new Honda City will be out with hopefully a new AT (CVT) transmission and engine - that may be worth waiting for. The peace of mind associated with Honda is something that VW can't match, yet.

If it has to be the Vento TSI then in a short while Skoda's Rapid will be offered with the same powertrain with projector headlights as the one significant difference. If the car is offered with Skoda's 5-year service/warranty package, it may make a compelling case for itself.

I wouldn't consider the Verna AT for its handling, ride and old technology.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 11:00   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
But the biggest factor by far is the resale since I'll be selling in three years - vento petrol prices are abysmally low in the used car market while Vernas hold their value decently.
If resale value is the main criteria, it maybe better to wait for the next gen Honda City, because both your options may not hold its value. Euro petrol cars traditionally get poor resale (the scenario may change in three years), and the Verna’s AT may feel like stone-age tech by then. Good resale value for Petrol AT is doubtful, unless the buyer preferences change drastically in the next couple of years.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 11:12   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Why did you want to replace your i10 with a Polo tsi in the first place? If the answer is dynamics of the car, then simply get the vento and forget about the verna. The Hyndai will bounce all over the place at any speed which is actually pretty unnerving, the gearbox as you seem to know is unimpressive, and you will lose the confidence to put on even slight bursts of speed in the city since the steering feels like the lightest input will send it speeding (has a pretty quick motor :P ) towards the divider across several lanes. To me, no amount of features can make up for such poor dynamics. i20 and elantra are unimpressive but not outright bad in this sense.
My primary reason for replacing the i10 is that the car is not responsive (read slow)- a 20-80 sprint will have the car howling like a banshee while making tardy progress. I'm not such a spirited driver that I can fully exploit the dynamics of a car ( if I was, Tjet is the only choice) but I still need to have adequate power for those overtaking maneuvers. By the way the video game steering feel of the Polo tsi is no better than the Verna (could be worse, in fact).Its the soft suspension and its effect on handling which is the downer.
JishD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 11:39   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
This was at Magnum Honda, Kanakapura road sometime in September. The service representative told me this when casually chatting there, could be dated information now or maybe the service rep himself was misinformed since he isn't directly in the sales department. I can find out from them and let you know if you like. But from what others including you have mentioned after me, it really seems to be discontinued, so tough luck until the new version arrives.

EDIT : Just called Magnum Honda to clear the confusion . City AT all stocks are sold out as of now. In case this helps, they only have 3-4 manual City cars left for clearance, limited choice. AT aspirants have to wait 2-3 months for the facelifted City to arrive.

Last edited by KarthikK : 18th October 2013 at 11:48.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote