Vento Automatic Petrol 36 48.65%
Honda City Automatic 38 51.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th August 2014, 20:01   #121
D4D
BHPian

Default Re: VW Vento Auto v/s Honda City Auto

Typical heart vs head battle.
Each car has it's own positives and negatives.

Advantage Vento:
  • Better handling
  • TSI engine is just brilliant
  • The DSG gearbox, which turns out to be it's weakest link also
Advantage City:
  • Spacious
  • Newer model
  • Reliable
  • Better ASS

Long term car, City would be better.
D4D is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 17:27   #122
Senior - BHPian

One is a better package minus engine/gearbox.

One is a better engine gearbox and a steel shell housing it with no feature, character or creature comforts.

Both are incomplete products imnsho (in my not so humble opinion).
aseem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 06:41   #123
BHPian

Dear all,

Thanks for all the suggestions. We had test driven the Polo TSI and based on that, there is indeed no comparison when it comes to the drive. Volkswagen is vastly superior. We expect the Vento to be as good too. Plus better quality inside, better build and Apparently more safe too. My colleague hss decided to go for the Vento TSI. Thanks for the suggestions once again.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 09:25   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post

One is a better engine gearbox and a steel shell housing it with no feature, character or creature comforts.

Both are incomplete products imnsho (in my not so humble opinion).
Am not sure which is which

Vento doesn't have "character" or "creature comforts"? Have you even sat in one?
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 10:08   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Am not sure which is which

Vento doesn't have "character" or "creature comforts"? Have you even sat in one?
For the record I have considered by a Vento when I bought ANHC Automatic in 2010 (it was just launched in October iirc). I considered/booked in 2012 before buying the New Fiesta. My wife drives a Polo which sans engine/minor legroom improvement/boot is nothing but a Vento. So when I say no creature comforts, I mean it!

The Vento in the initial years didnt even have USB/steering controls and comfortline was a joke. The market has moved on and the kind of features on offer in City or for that matter even Xcent are not present or poorly executed in Vento.

When you sit inside the car, I find its poorly executed. These featureless interiors maybe ok in Polo but not in Vento. The armrest is flimsy & dashboard simple/basic & unappealing.

For that matter even the dashboard in Jetta is unappealing & basic. You just have to sit in an Octavia to realise what a breath of fresh air the interiors make you feel vis-a-vis Jetta.

Vento's boot has ugly tail lights, rear is cramped, seat fabric quality questionable, dashboard color wierd (I prefer Polo's). No soft plastics (they are like really hard). Soft suspension, non confidence inspiring brakes. Featureless/poor audio quality sound system (compare it to the new Fiesta). No reverse camera, no cruise control, no paddle shifts, no leather seats (I maybe wrong on this one), no place to keep your cell phone on the right hand armrest (driver side), no projector lamps (i20/Zest has it) & the list goes on and on, and it goes on on on yeah!

So yes, it has no character. The City has more upmarket feel as in it looks from a segment above. The Hyundai has better interior features (I am not talking about driveability).

The only thing going for Vento Tsi is the gearbox & TSi engine making it a hoot to drive (though I find Polo TSi better in terms of fun). The City cant hold a candle to the engine gearbox combo offered in Vento. But VW needs to realise they need to offer a lot more in the car then a mere engine/gearbox combo. And for the record the public seems to agree with my take given the dwindling numbers of the Vento. The competition has left it far behind and the Ciaz is going to make features on offer in Vento even more basic or out of league for its segment.

I have no agenda against Vento and I may go ahead and book a Polo TSi in the future. But it would only be for engine/gearbox and I completley realise its an incomplete product.

Last edited by GTO : 21st August 2014 at 15:55. Reason: There's really no need to bring the 'Moderator Badge' into this debate. Thanks
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 12:17   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please dont insult/take a dig at my intelligence by questioning whether I have sat in the car.
I am not insulting anybody's intelligence: it was just a figure of speech. Your original comment (to which I reacted) was:
Quote:
Perhaps I am not in the best position to be totally objective, being a reasonably satisfied Vento AT owner now for 3.5 yrs/51,000 km now. But I *did* drive the (previous gen) Honda City AT before making my purchase; and for the record it was a close second in my list. In fact, if the subsequent price reduction had happened earlier, maybe things would have worked out differently! A City V-AT with optional sunroof (again, launched a little after my purchase) would certainly be much higher on my list!
Quote:
The Vento in the initial years didnt even have USB/steering controls and comfortline was a joke. The market has moved on and the kind of features on offer in City or for that matter even Xcent are not present or poorly executed in Vento.
No debate here. I have upgraded the fabric seats to leather, replaced the useless HU with a JVC CD/USB/AUX/BT compatible unit with TA, upgraded the stock speakers to a full ICE setup and even attempted an upgrade in the OE headlamps (now aborted since the solution was worse than the problem). But no complaints with ride & handling, seating position/comfort, space & ergonomics, exterior build & fit/finish, part quality (AC is a notable exception), spares & maintenance cost, etc.

Quote:
When you sit inside the car, I find its poorly executed. These featureless interiors maybe ok in Polo but not in Vento. The armrest is flimsy & dashboard simple/basic & unappealing.
For that matter even the dashboard in Jetta is unappealing & basic. You just have to sit in an Octavia to realise what a breath of fresh air the interiors make you feel vis-a-vis Jetta.
One man's basic is another man's "classic & understated". For the record I found the (older) City's interiors truly garish (refer my posts from 2010, when this thread started). The current City has amazing interiors, though.

Quote:
Vento's boot has ugly tail lights, rear is cramped, seat fabric quality questionable, dashboard color wierd (I prefer Polo's). No soft plastics (they are like really hard). Soft suspension, non confidence inspiring brakes. Featureless/poor audio quality sound system (compare it to the new Fiesta). No reverse camera, no cruise control, no paddle shifts, no leather seats (I maybe wrong on this one), no place to keep your cell phone on the right hand armrest (driver side), no projector lamps (i20/Zest has it) & the list goes on and on, and it goes on on on yeah!
This thread started as a simple Vento vs City AT comparison. The points you raise are all discussed early on in the thread (some ironically raised by me ) The market has moved on since then as you rightly say. But seriously, bringing in the Fiesta (currently not available in petrol, let alone AT petrol), i20, Zest, etc.- all NEW cars- is meaningless in this context. However I am the first to agree that the Vento deserves a much-needed serious refresh.

Quote:
So yes, it has no character. The City has more upmarket feel as in it looks from a segment above. The Hyundai has better interior features (I am not talking about driveability).
You are entitled to your opinion but in general lack of character in a vehicle is associated with being a poor value proposition, too derivative, utterly unreliable and the like. Failing to look "upmarket" and not being packed with gizmos, while important, are hardly a test of character in my book.
noopster is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 12:30   #127
BANNED

If we are talking about Vento TSi with the DSG, then it is in another league and Honda City does not compare well. Turbo Charged petrol vs NA petrol, City loses big time. DSG is the best Auto Box in business, City loses again. All in my opinion though.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 14:35   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not insulting anybody's intelligence: it was just a figure of speech. Your original comment (to which I reacted) was: .
I was not offended by your questioning my statement in regards to the car which you are perfectly entitled to do. I was a little taken aback by the fact that you sarcasticaly asked me if I had "sat" in a Vento to disqualify and discredit my opinion. As a long time member I think we all should refrain from such remarks that doubt another members honesty or credibility.

Quote:
Perhaps I am not in the best position to be totally objective, being a reasonably satisfied Vento AT owner now for 3.5 yrs/51,000 km now. But I *did* drive the (previous gen) Honda City AT before making my purchase; and for the record it was a close second in my list. In fact, if the subsequent price reduction had happened earlier, maybe things would have worked out differently! A City V-AT with optional sunroof (again, launched a little after my purchase) would certainly be much higher on my list!.
As a former owner of City V-AT 2010 I can say that car was dull to drive. It understeered, had bad quality speakers (treble heavy) and poor central console layout. However it was a reliable workhorese that looked big and premium compared to Vento.

Quote:
No debate here. I have upgraded the fabric seats to leather, replaced the useless HU with a JVC CD/USB/AUX/BT compatible unit with TA, upgraded the stock speakers to a full ICE setup and even attempted an upgrade in the OE headlamps (now aborted since the solution was worse than the problem). But no complaints with ride & handling, seating position/comfort, space & ergonomics, exterior build & fit/finish, part quality (AC is a notable exception), spares & maintenance cost, etc. .
I too have upgraded my wife's Polo with Image Dynamic components, subwoofer and amplifier from some german company that I dont remember. The HU has been upgraded to Pioneer touchscreen with BT. So I know how poor the stock audio is. The ride & handling part can only be seen when you compare it with likes of Jetta, Octavia, Fiesta, Swift (with upsized tyres). These cars hug the road when you drive. Vento on the other hand has a soft suspension and not something that you throw at a corner. Since you admit that your views are slightly subjective (being an owner of Vento) I would leave it at that.

Quote:
One man's basic is another man's "classic & understated". For the record I found the (older) City's interiors truly garish (refer my posts from 2010, when this thread started). The current City has amazing interiors, though..
One mans classic & understated is another man's "basic, bland, boring & dated". The 15-17 lakh rupees Jetta until 1 year ago didnt come with USB/BT in Trendline and even comfortline. I mean come the hell on. Imagine buying a car by paying 17 lakhs and not getting bluetooth. This is not classic & understated or old school. This is just cost cutting to an extreme level where you compromise with things that should be standard. Thankfully VW have corrected few of these issues. Skoda Octavia/Audi A4/New Passat all have contemporary interiors with premiumness. VW Jetta is so understated that even its leather is "fake". This is too much skimping in my opinion.

Quote:
This thread started as a simple Vento vs City AT comparison. The points you raise are all discussed early on in the thread (some ironically raised by me ) The market has moved on since then as you rightly say. But seriously, bringing in the Fiesta (currently not available in petrol, let alone AT petrol), i20, Zest, etc.- all NEW cars- is meaningless in this context. However I am the first to agree that the Vento deserves a much-needed serious refresh. .
I agree. Like stated market has moved on and a minor facelift with a bumper job or changed steering is not going to change its dwindling fortunes. We deserve better then what VW is throwing at us and as customers we cant accept this.

Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion but in general lack of character in a vehicle is associated with being a poor value proposition, too derivative, utterly unreliable and the like. Failing to look "upmarket" and not being packed with gizmos, while important, are hardly a test of character in my book.
Character of a vehicle is not about being VFM or reliability. Character in my opinion is like having a soul, a uniqueness, standing out and identity. VW Polo has a character, Swift had character (took market by storm when launched), the new i20 has a character. Somehow VW Vento's bootjob and borderline ugly tail lamps dont inspire a character.

Lets agree to disagree and thanks for understanding. I dont mean any offence just disagree with some of the content.
Old 6th September 2014, 12:00   #129
BHPian

I was in the same boat to decide between vento TSi and City or Verna. I finally booked Vento TSi just because city CVT has awful waiting times as per honda dealer in thrissur, kerala. For my luck a vento TSi was ready available which was a positive for me as i was planning to leave abroad soon for work.
The new Vento comes with Leatherette seats and a reasonable ICE. I did not even test ride the TSi as i had driven the POLO TSi. Brilliant Package with ESP and Hill Hold assist
MuzzledMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2014, 13:57   #130
BHPian

Hi aseem, with all due respect my apologies having posted before reading till the end, I read your clarifications. Guess I jumped the gun. You may ignore my posts. Thanks.

Quote:
I presume you are refering to the Verna here.

Quote:
And with this the new City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
My colleague hss decided to go for the Vento TSI.
The right pick, wish him happy miles-with-smiles ahead from T-BHP, now that he owns a brilliant ride, coax him to join T-BHP and pen his experience.
This would be my choice of ride of the options, no point falling prey to features if you are one to get too much involved with the drive. Having this car is an emotional affair.
Phew I need to find ways to make more money quick, I really want that VW DSG.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 7th September 2014 at 14:08. Reason: Got clarity in the thread
s_pphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2014, 14:04   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
Hi aseem, with all due respect my apologies having posted before reading till the end, I read your clarifications. You may ignore my posts. Thanks.

I presume you are refering to the Verna here.

And with this the new City.
I think you got it wrong.

The better package with a lazy gearbox and noisy engine at high revs is Honda City.

The better engine & gearbox is the VW Vento TSI DSG by a mile. The engine loves to be revved, has torque lower down and the gearbox is absolute hoot to drive. However Vento as a car is really basic and dated. You dont really get more car for your money, you end up paying for gearbox, engine and the body. The overall package is quite poor.

Plonk the TSI motor with DSG in a Honda City and you got yourself a winner.
Old 7th September 2014, 14:30   #132
BHPian

Quote:
I think you got it wrong.

Plonk the TSI motor with DSG in a Honda City and you got yourself a winner.
Hmmn, well don't leave it at that, add the highlighted points that 'Noopster' mentioned and then you have a complete winner.
No offense meant and I present my opinion with all humility, despite the new City, though good, I'd still pick the TSI or the 'behind the covers' diesel DSG.
And thank God for people like us, else City fans may have had to wait for years to get their deliveries, with those swelling wait lists.

Quote:
But no complaints with ride & handling, seating position/comfort, space & ergonomics, exterior build & fit/finish, part quality.

One man's basic is another man's "classic & understated".

Last edited by s_pphilip : 7th September 2014 at 14:32.
Old 8th September 2014, 20:19   #133
BHPian

Quote:
No soft plastics (they are like really hard).
Those hard plastics are a turn off in the Vento, it surprises me that the Fabia which falls in a lower segment has better interior plastics than the Polo, Vento & Rapid which are supposedly presented as superior products from VW.
11L and it should have soft touch interiors, common even Fiat upped its game.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 8th September 2014 at 20:21.
Old 8th September 2014, 23:12   #134
Senior - BHPian

Do check out the new Polo GT Tsi, the latest one with all black interiors. Soft touch plastics or not but the drivers cockpit is a nice place to be in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
11L and it should have soft touch interiors, common even Fiat upped its game.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2014, 12:55   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

When I was looking change my 10-year old 2nd-gen City earlier this year. The 4th-gen City was an automatic choice and I was one of the first people to book the CVT VX. A few things changed my mind though in favor of the Vento TSI. I didn't like the City's seating position and the build quality didn't match the VW. The TSI's engine/transmission combo was the icing on the cake.

Features didn't play a major role in the decision because I thought they were both more or less on par. To address a few things in your post: The City also has hard plastics and no projectors. The Ciy may have paddle shifts but the TSI has tiptronic. I find the TSI's suspension better than the City and the brakes are quite good. The stock audio system is decent and has all connectivity options you could possibly want. The armrest is far from flimsy. I've leaned across with my entire weight on it with no problem.
StarScream is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote