Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 7th October 2010, 10:30   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
According to your maths - go for a Vento or an Altis.

The cruze is a performance sedan in India, it's got the BHP and Torque which no other sedan has near its price category or even more.

Even despite the Cruze's size, power it gives a fantastic FE.

My Verna gives me no more than 13 - 14 kpl in city driving conditions with 100% ac on.
I agree with you here. Vento is relatively new and it is best to wait it out to see their committment towards their customer is enhanced both on sales and after sales front.

Allow me to slightly correct you. Cruze right now is the " only" performance sedan < 20 Lakhs bracket. Its performance figures almost match that of a 320D and A4 which are more than double its price.

My Cruze initially gave me 10kmpl but, after crossing 2000kms the FE has drastically improved and last tankful in 100% with AC and in city gave me 11.75kmpl and highway figures achieved are 15kmpl with some hard driving.

However, i would like to stress on the aspect. If you enjoy driving then you'll have to forget that math and FE stuff and simply enjoy the exhilirating feeling of sitting behind the steering wheel of a "Cruze Missile"

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Altis: I see you drive a VTEC. Not sure if you would like to left behind on highway after paying close to 12 lakhs !
Pardon me saying this but, an Altis perfectly suited only for someone who spends large amounts of time in backseat and when that person moves to driving seat he enjoys a pleasant (sedate) driving style.

I repeat if you love to drive and want some zip in your life whilst behind a wheel. IMO, nothing beats the Cruze.

So please decide based on your driving style as well.

Goodluck on your final decision!
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 10:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Mykal,

My friend was in the same dileama. He did homework and testdrive of SX4, Fiesta, Linea, Optra Magnum, Vento and Altis. His need is similiar to yours, to have a dependable sedan for 10 years usage and narrowed down to Vento for the below reasons.

1) Build quality
2) Fuel efficiency
3) Responsive engine compared to others in the segment
4) Brand Value of VW

His only concern is the servicability in rurals as he drive often to native but expecting VW would add more points since small car is selling like hot cakes.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 13:20   #18
Team-BHP Support

You need to buy the Altis. Anyone who's done the calculations at the level you have would only be satisfied with a "sensible" option. And that is what Alts is. All the best!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 14:54   #19
BHPian

If the Cruze is not your cup of tea, then the Altis is the better option IMO. It certainly is expensive and underpowered on paper, but do take a test drive and see for yourself. The well matched gear ratios makes driving it a breeze and you will not feel the lack of power unless you are mashing the pedal. But its more of a relaxed cruiser than a tarmac scrocher

I would not go for the VW brand for the time being, as they are yet to prove the customer focus. I felt they were haughty in their approach and wonder how the after-sales would be.

Toyota is total peace of mind, as you might have realised after owning the Innova.

Altis is the way to go!!
krish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 16:02   #20
BHPian

My Vote is for Corolla Altis...

1) Toyota reliability / Build Quality.
2) Resale value.
3) Already prove in the market.
4) Best After Sales Service from Toyota.

Its a better option then VENTO.

Other hand Vento is a newer design/engine(Not sure though).
But new in india market. Afetr sales service is unknown.
And already we saw SKODA service...So god knows how will be VW service.
KALINGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 09:26   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I am facing the same dilemma guys. I am planning to change my NHC 2005 which has done 60000 kms. The only reason is that eversince the ANHC I have just stopped liking the NHCs looks. Also after 5 years the car does start showing some wear and tear.
The options are either the diesel highline vento or the toyota altis G variant. The car is gonna be used by my dad and would be mainly chauffeur driven. I am somehow not able to convince myself to spend that extra 3 lakhs on the altis. Is it worth that extra money?
I test drove the vento and liked the feeling of the car but the VW showroom experience was pathetic( though I am giving them the benefit of the doubt due to initial rush).
I will be checking the Altis today.
Usage patters:
1. Car will be in the city only 90% of the times as we take the innova on the highways.
2. monthly run is around 1500-2000 kms so FE is impotant(NHC gives me a pathetic 9.5-10. Blame it on the driver maybe because I have heard from everyone that it should give atleast 12kmpl).
3. It will be chauffeur driven 80% of the times and otherwise also I dont mind the underpowered altis.
My heart wants to go for the Vento but only thing keeping me away from it is long term ownership experience and that since its a new launch there might be some niggles here and there and I dont wish to be that guinea pig to give them feedbacks.
Will post my Altis TD experience( though I am expecting the back seat comfort to be similar on both Vento and altis).
Please help me decide.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 19:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am facing the same dilemma guys. I am planning to change my NHC 2005 which has done 60000 kms. The only reason is that eversince the ANHC I have just stopped liking the NHCs looks. Also after 5 years the car does start showing some wear and tear.
The options are either the diesel highline vento or the toyota altis G variant.
Do not look at the purchase price, but calculate TCO (Total cost of Ownership). Over a period of five years/70K km, Toyota will save a lot of money on maintenance. European vehicle maintenance costs are quite high as compared to the Japanese vehicles. Going by the experience of Skoda owners, expect the maintenance costs of Vento to be at least twice if not more as compared to Honda, Toyota Maruti or Hyundai.

And then there is the resale price to be considered. A Toyota maintains better value over time, compared to Volkswagen world wide. Do your maths and Altis will be financially more viable, the badge value is a different matter all together.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 23:32   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey I went and checked out the Altis today. First of all let me start by saying that I was absolutely pampered at the showroom. Extremely courteous staff, well maintained showroom and lots of cars available for TD. I went at 8pm and couldnt take a proper TD and before i could say it the SE himself told me he will be happy to bring the car to my house whenever i am free for a TD.
My experience at VW( just next door to Toyota was pathetic). Have written about it in the Vento review thread.
Coming to the cars there is absolutely no comparison. The altis belongs to a higher segment and that does show. The whole presence of the car is much higher and elegant than the Vento. And surely the toyota badge further helps decide the matter.
So moral of the story is I started looking out for a car within 10 lakhs but now I am gonna spend around 14L( on road price of the Altis diesel). Almost made up my mind though would still take a TD in the daylight.
Hey guys what would be a good bargain for it? I mean this being the festive season and all. Its been ages since we bought a new car so not in touch with what exactly I can bargain for. Also I am planning to go for the white colour( pearl white). Any suggestions on the colour? Confused between white and black.
Old 12th October 2010, 18:57   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey how good is this Auto Anti Glare Mirror (EC Mirror). Its only on the GL variant of the Altis. and would it be possible to get it on the G variant? Would be great if anyone who has used this feature can throw some light on it. please!!
I posted this query in another thread also. Mods please bear with me for that.
Old 15th October 2010, 11:49   #25
BHPian

From the numerous VW dealer experiences,I'm slowly going away from the option of Vento. It seems production,delivery is not yet streamlined.So I definitely worry about spare availability and service for at least next one year.

I too agree with Aroy's suggestions. Its not the initial cost difference,but peace of mind,cost of ownership on a long run of 7-10 years,which matters.

I've been interacting with Ford,Honda and Toyota for past 4+ years and Toyota experience is unmatched. Honda too puts customer first. But Ford has been little disappointing.

I see another Skoda story unfolding, in VW initial feedbacks.
mykal shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 23:08   #26
BHPian

Test drove (back to back) the VW vento HL Diesel and the Altis Diesel and they are really feel world apart.The Altis feels like a luxury car (I Test drove the top-end model) - refined, smooth and plush. Yes there is a huge turbo-lag before 2000 RPM, but for chauffer driven it is fine, and one can get used to it pretty quick, especially with that lovely 6-speed manual gearbox. Missed the electric seat adjustment which is there on the Petrol Altis.

The Vento on the other hand - very noisy and unsophisticated. The driveability may be better because of almost no turbo-lag but it was no fun to drive - felt very rough. The Altis diesel is quite a bit more expensive than the Vento diesel and understandabily so. If one can afford the Altis over the Vento, it is a crystal clear choice.
ackyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 06:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

looking at the pricing consderations in case that is important to you, the Vento Diesel is less expensive and hence greater VFM.
On the other hand the Toyota's legendary reliability, quality of service etc do not need further introduction.
My thought is that you could possibly evaluate the Chevy Cruze 2 litre monster before making a final decision.
Of course, the whole thing is dependent on the price you are willing to pay - in which case you would either settle on the Vento which is less expensive OR do a shootout and decide between the Cruze and the Altis Diesels.

all the best!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 09:33   #28
BHPian

I would not recommend the Altis Diesel, though its got a good fuel efficiency, the engine noise and the vibrations are very clear. You would be able to get a rub with these as you drive. However, service aspect is good and price wise decent.

For the VW Vento, you stand to buy a good sedan, however, VW spares and services=expensive comparatively

Why not consider the Hyundai Verna Transform CRDi version? Good i would say.
Considering price and value, if you want some luxury and decent mileage, you can also consider Hyundai Sonata and VW Jetta Trendline 1.9Tdi (same price as Altis)
varunrdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 20:17   #29
Team-BHP Support

THis is an altogether wrong comparison. Altis 1.4 Diesel vs Laura 2.0 DSG Diesel. Now THAT's a real fight.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote