Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2010, 09:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car&me View Post
Not so keen on dzire, because it does not look like a proper sedan.

Yup, it doesn't look like a proper sedan. But its a no-nonsense practical sedan. 6 months and 6K clicks later, except for the occasional odd rattle, she runs brilliant (touch wood). If you can overlook the looks,she would suit you well and save you few lakh rupees as well.
Old 2nd October 2010, 09:57   #17
BHPian

Lancer is definitely lower on maintenance.

Quote:
I felt (may not be the reality, but I felt) that the Magnum is more spacious than cruze. I know cruze is newer and more powerful, but dont know how much of that power is going to be used in the real world. More over my focus is on comfort and maintenance. Magnum is good on the comfort side, but unsure of the maintenace part.
Compared to Lancer, Magnum is going to be costlier to maintain and thats because Lancer has less complexities compared to Magnum.
There is no doubt that in the passenger space game the Magnum beats the Cruze and the seats and internals are more plush. Yes the Magnum is definitely going to take more on maintenance compared to the Lancer.
Please check on whether HM is closing down the passenger car division and whether it affects lancer too.
Old 2nd October 2010, 11:15   #18
JLN
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All

I need a diesel sedan that is capable of running 50000 kms a year with least maintenance costs. The budget is not more than 11 lakhs on road price in Tamil Nadu. I intend to keep this for a 5 years and 2.5 lakh kms.

The following cars came to my mind

1. Ford fiesta - nice car, but not so great stories beyond 75 k. Not spacious compared to the other cars in mind
2. Verna - I dont like the transform looks and does not inspire confidence in highway driving (steering)
3. Magnum - big contender, better interiors, great power, but unsure of longevity
5. Lancer - Like the looks, currently own a cedia so emotionally attached to the mitsu family, lots running with more than 200 k on the odo no issues. Old interiors dampen the spirit a bit.

Don't like high rise vehicles like scorpio, safari, Innova, Xylo etc.

Heart and mind feels Lancer diesel which is 9 lakhs on road. Dont know about other states, here in Tamilnadu (incl Chennai city) Lancers are plenty.

Many current owners (spoke to a few folks from coimbatore) go back and buy lancer diesel when they close 200k on the odo. They say that its a 0 maitenance compared to other new diesels. Please note that they have the Vitamin M to buy a new car every year or adorn their park way with the germans (Mercs / BMWs / VWs). But this is their favourite work horse in the family.

Has anyone in this forum bought a brand new Lancer diesel recently (in the past 1 year). Can they share their experience?

Also please pour in your views and suggestions of if there are any alternatives.

Thanks in advance.
If Altis (the best choice IMO for your needs) is not an option due to Vit. M, then go for the Verna. I eventually bought the Verna after worrying about the poor steering and handling - but having done over 5000 kms of highway driving (Bangalore-chennai-bangalore, bangalore-goa-bangalore), I believe that the steering just needs some getting used to. The car is incredibly comfy and spacious (especially given its smallish exterior dimensions), the milage is fantastic (16-17 kmpl). The toruqe really helps in overtaking on highways (esp. the 2 line undivided ones).
Old 2nd October 2010, 11:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

The Logan should be a good mile cruncher? But then looks could again be a deal-breaker.

If you could wait a bit, do so and check out the Etios when it's launched. Should tick almost all the boxes. Except that the Lancer would still beat it in the looks department !
Old 2nd October 2010, 11:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Get a Logan diesel. Ticks all your boxes and I've seen logan cabs here with 200k on the odo still running perfectly smooth.
Old 2nd October 2010, 11:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

Okay this is really a different opinion but still. When you are looking for a diesel sedan with super high running, have you thought about your left leg which will be legging that clutch which ll become heavy after such some use, after that trust me the fun of driving the car is gone if at all u ll use it in the city, for highways does not matter.

Why not try any diesel automatics out. Mileage + power + economy + happy feet.

Just my opinion, a heavy clutch is a subjective term. Some find the Swift D's clutch not heavy, I find it kinda cumbersome after some traffic.
Old 4th October 2010, 13:02   #22
BHPian

I was reading Polo maintenance costs (regular maintenace) in one of the threads. Even an oil change requires 4.5 k, due to synthetic oil. Niggles have started creeping in. Engine consumes oil (in this case required top up of 500 ml). I am beginning to wonder VW will not be cheaper to maintain. And in my kind of miles, I would need to repeat these every 3 months.
Head tells stick with Lancer diesel, heart longs for better interiors. I also hear that mitsubishi is going to launch diesel Evo styled lancer next year (late 2011). I am thinking should I buy a used Lancer D and drive it until the next Lancer is released or buy a new D and enjoy to a maximum.
I saw an ad in Hindu classifieds asking for 4.5 to 5 lakhs for a 40,000 run Diesel Lancer. Calls to a couple of used car dealers confirm that its rare to get a low run diesel Lancer, but would be in that price if it comes across.

Is it possible to pick up some other dashboard (like I20, city or cedia) and do some mods and install it in the lancer? Or can fibre glass based new Dashboard be made? Any inputs on this would really be helpful.

Last edited by Car&me : 4th October 2010 at 13:05.
Old 4th October 2010, 15:15   #23
BHPian

Pick the Optra Magnum LT which comes fully loaded with ABS/Air Bags/ACC/Leather and within your budget.

Lancer is a tad old, the engine even though a reliable work horse can no where hold a candle to the Magnum nor Verna.

Also look at TATA Manza and FIAT Linea which carry the same FIAT's 1.3 MJD that does duty in Maruti Swift/Dzire/Ritz.

Next gen Mitsu cars will carry VW TD engines, so will be as expensive to maintain!
Old 4th October 2010, 15:28   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

My suggestions given the 150K Kms in 3 years bit and considering the nicer diesel sedans in the marketplace now.

1. Toyota Corolla Altis Diesel (sheer reliability, serviceability, day to day peace and re-sale-ability)
2. Skoda Laura (sheer loaded-ness and luxe)
3. Chevy Cruze (combination of superb looks, machine solidity and vehicle performance)
4. Optra Magnum (this is a .357 Magnum indeed - a little monster pocket rocket)
5. Hyundai Verna Crdi (can go on and on and on)
6. VW etc - expensive overall but solid nonetheless.
Old 4th October 2010, 15:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. Magnum - big contender, better interiors, great power, but unsure of longevity
Quote:
Magnum is good on the comfort side, but unsure of the maintenace part.
Compared to Lancer, Magnum is going to be costlier to maintain and thats because Lancer has less complexities compared to Magnum.
But doesn't the Magnum also come with Chevy's 3 year free maintenance scheme? If so, its a no-brainer.

Otherwise, the Vento Diesel is a fresh model & would be built to last - maintenance would be more than a Lancer though.
Old 4th October 2010, 16:38   #26
BHPian

The cab i ride is a qualis, about to kick 300k. the owner claims it' actually 400. considering how butter smooth that vehicle is (other than the A/C, which shines only when the vehicle' beyond 90kmph), I'd tell you to go for something toyota.

tata/fiat/hyundai/VW won't be zero maintain cars. optra has lowest-in-class maintainance tho, if we go by autocar jul'10.

swift dzire could be a contender, considering it' a bolt-on booted sibling of the swift D.
Old 4th October 2010, 19:30   #27
BHPian

Suman, Magnum has the maintenance package only upto 50k (for diesels). I am worried if I would be spending more money after the maintenance plan tenure is over. I am still to find a long term ownership that has 75k+ on that.

Burnt rubber, I could not accept paying 15lakhs for a car which gives the power similar to cars which is half priced. I understand it provides comfort and peace of mind; but the occassional DRIVER in me will be upset. Dont know if there will be a Petes box that can help in the future, but still a small engine.

Vento is too new in the game, Polo's maintenance cost indicate that its not going to be cheaper. Has Skoda in its family, which brings in lot of hesitation

I heard 2008 magnums had a diesel pump issues cropping up after 25k. Things like this is what makes me scary.

Right now its between Lancer Diesel and Optra Magnum. Looking for hard evidences to convince myself for Optra Magnum. If I am not convinced then will settle for Lancer Diesel.
Old 4th October 2010, 20:07   #28
BHPian

Altis if you can push the budget, or else a Fiesta. Fiesta taxis are a case in point. Only problem with Fiesta is that its down on power at 68bhp.
Old 5th October 2010, 04:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Both come with the same engine as that in the Captiva. The diffrentiating factor between the Magnums engine and the Cruze/Captiva engine is just the turbo unit and the ECU. All else are practically the same on the engine front.
Captiva and the Cruze come with an engine designed by GMDAT and manufactured by Holden of Australia. A very good engine. The one in the Magnum however is far superior it is designed and manufactured by 'Detroit Diesel' and its smooth free revving nature can put many petrol units to shame.

Quote:
Right now its between Lancer Diesel and Optra Magnum. Looking for hard evidences to convince myself for Optra Magnum. If I am not convinced then will settle for Lancer Diesel.
That evidence (as you call it) is right below

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Pick the Optra Magnum LT which comes fully loaded with ABS/Air Bags/ACC/Leather and within your budget.
Old 5th October 2010, 11:17   #30
BHPian

A tough question here as the cars in your bracket just doesnt tick all the boxes. Nothing can beat the Lancer in terms of maintainence costs, so please put that aside and be ready to pay more on maintainence if you opt for a CRDi engine.

My personal preference considering space, comfort, power and lesser maintainence within the mentioned budget is

1) Optra Magnum TCDi - Very comfortable car, high on space (more than cruze), but low mileage. Maintainence package should take care of it for 3 years
2) Fiesta TDCi - Comfortable car, low on space, less expensive service compared to Hyundai's, nice mileage, low on power
3) Dzire -: Forget the shape and its pure VFM
4) Manza -: Again forget the shape and its VFM. Hearing quite a few niggles though. Will make you miss the lancer quite often in terms of maintainence :-)
5) Verna CRDi-: Powerful, comfortable, spacious. A bit bouncy though; if not fully loaded and honestly, I dont like the car above 100kmph. Owners pls excuse as its in comparison to other cars I've driven including the Getz CRDi.

But nothing will beat the lancer here on peace of mind IMO. I've driven a 1,80,000 kms run lancer diesel and it feels and drives like new. Only downside I see for lancer is - POWER and old looking interiors.

Last edited by krish3 : 5th October 2010 at 11:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks