Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2010, 09:10   #61
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,054
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryManUnited View Post

But I will still rate Jetta to be up there and the car is a certain contender in my list.

So here is where I stand as of today: Jetta comfortline, Laura DSG Elegance, Skoda Yeti Elegance. One of these 3. I have not been able to pick the winner among these yet but I should come to a conclusion in a few weeks. I have test driven all the cars I wanted to; so now its just weighing each car's pros and cons and making a judgement call. Unfortunately this is the toughest part. So close and yet so far. Sigh :(
If you're that interested in the Jetta, I suggest you wait for a few months or so, because the new Jetta is on the cards. And my guess is that it will be available with much better engine options and even the DSG 'box if we're lucky. Oh and it should be a much better looker than the current one.

If you can't wait, then go in for the Laura.

The Yeti would have been a good buy, but the boot-space and the rear-seat space is a let down, as you mentioned.
suhaas307 is offline  
Old 23rd November 2010, 12:42   #62
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 91
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
If you're that interested in the Jetta, I suggest you wait for a few months or so, because the new Jetta is on the cards. And my guess is that it will be available with much better engine options and even the DSG 'box if we're lucky. Oh and it should be a much better looker than the current one.
That should be the case. However the new Jetta seems to be a trimmed down version, atleast in the US. While it may be argued that the Jetta is positioned as a premium brand in India and so VW will maintain its standards. I think we will know when the European Jetta is launched. But anyways, waiting for the new Jetta would mean a wait for 6 months or more. I don't think I have that kind of patience
GloryManUnited is offline  
Old 23rd November 2010, 14:42   #63
BHPian
 
ashish22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 575
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

why don't you checkout a pre worshiped VW Passat. Its a fine example of german engineering (rather over engineering) and build quality. And in black its quite a sight. I'm sure if you loved the jetta then you will go head over heals for passat. Great space at rear as well.
ashish22 is offline  
Old 23rd November 2010, 15:47   #64
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 91
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
why don't you checkout a pre worshiped VW Passat. Its a fine example of german engineering (rather over engineering) and build quality. And in black its quite a sight. I'm sure if you loved the jetta then you will go head over heals for passat. Great space at rear as well.
If you read one of my earlier posts, that was certainly my desire. I just love the Passat. Alas I have not been able to find any in the used car market.
GloryManUnited is offline  
Old 23rd November 2010, 17:38   #65
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 91
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

One issue with buying the passat is that it comes only in Petrol. I don't really know what kind of FE does one get in city use so if anyone has that information please let me know.
GloryManUnited is offline  
Old 24th November 2010, 11:24   #66
BHPian
 
AirWind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 808
Thanked: 75 Times
Default

Yes, pity the Passat is only available in the 1.8 TSi trim. My gut tells me a model change on the anvil??? But must be costing above 22L OTR? Have you increased your budget? Mileage reported ~8 KMPL in city and 12 in HWY.

If you are in that segment, the Superb should be your pick - its move VFM over the Passat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryManUnited View Post
One issue with buying the passat is that it comes only in Petrol. I don't really know what kind of FE does one get in city use so if anyone has that information please let me know.
AirWind is offline  
Old 24th November 2010, 14:50   #67
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 91
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Yes, pity the Passat is only available in the 1.8 TSi trim. My gut tells me a model change on the anvil??? But must be costing above 22L OTR? Have you increased your budget? Mileage reported ~8 KMPL in city and 12 in HWY.

If you are in that segment, the Superb should be your pick - its move VFM over the Passat.
Not not really upped my budget. Perhaps it was just wishful thinking. My budget is 20L. Passat probably does not fit the bill.
GloryManUnited is offline  
Old 25th November 2010, 22:33   #68
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 208
Thanked: 257 Times
Default Deja vu

GMU,

I have been following your thread with much interest since I too have been walking down the same decision paths. I have made up my mind though.

While I don't want to influence you, please do let me know if you decide to buy a Laura. We could try for a group discount a la the recent spate of Aurangabad car deals. Of course, we are only about 148 cars short, but its still worth a shot.

Good luck with the hunt!

Regards,
B I T F
BackInTheFold is offline  
Old 26th November 2010, 10:30   #69
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 91
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
GMU,

I have been following your thread with much interest since I too have been walking down the same decision paths. I have made up my mind though.

While I don't want to influence you, please do let me know if you decide to buy a Laura. We could try for a group discount a la the recent spate of Aurangabad car deals. Of course, we are only about 148 cars short, but its still worth a shot.

Good luck with the hunt!

Regards,
B I T F
I am very close to a decision. The Jetta is mostly out due to rear-seat-legroom, low-seating-position and GC-issues.

So its one of the Skoda cars. I am going there this weekend and make a final call. If I can convince my wife that the rear-seat on the Yeti is not a deal-breaker then I will book the Yeti. Or else the Laura DSG.

Have you decided on the Laura? If so which variant?
GloryManUnited is offline  
Old 26th November 2010, 11:09   #70
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 208
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

It is a dead heat at the moment between the TSI and the DSG Ambiente.

Since the choice of Laura was due to similar/same reasons as yours, let me stick to just explaining my rationale for the choice amongst all the variants and the current dilemma:
  1. I used to drive an Audi A4 Quattro with a tweaked ECU and exhaust. So, performance/fun-to-drive was an important consideration. So the TSI was immediately in the list
  2. The DSG variant is a perfect combination of higher hp (compared to the manual diesel) with a sophisticated Automatic transmission. I have a ~15km daily commute in mostly stop-go traffic. DSG sounds very appealing in this context
  3. There is no Elegance option with TSI. In any case, I cannot justify the c.1.7 lakh on-road price difference between the Ambiente and the Elegance.
    Stanley leather would do just as fine, if not better, whenever I want to change to leather. I have a 16 month old son who has already totaled our Stanley leather furniture and I want to wait before I give him more sport
    Fully Automated Climate Control vs. Climatronic in Ambiente wasn't a deciding factor; retracting mirrors also nice to have
    I could consider upgrading to 16" wheels

The catch is due to point 2 above. Our annual mileage doesn't really require a Diesel - we need and have a second car for my wife's commute and can't seem to do more than 20K km's combined p.a. I would plonk for a TSI DSG if there was an option. Since there is no such option, I have a dilemma.

I was kicked about the Yeti, but can simply can't see the fit. Plus my wife thinks it is too quirky.

Therefore, I am where I am. If you are set on a Skoda, the group bargaining option still exists
BackInTheFold is offline  
Old 30th November 2010, 22:02   #71
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 91
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

The Laura is a wonderful car and any version you pick will be a great buy. If I were you I would buy the DSG. You get the 140 horses motor on this variant and the SPORT mode is addictive

As far as the group deal is concerned I think that wouldn't happen. The reason will be obvious in my next post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
It is a dead heat at the moment between the TSI and the DSG Ambiente.

Since the choice of Laura was due to similar/same reasons as yours, let me stick to just explaining my rationale for the choice amongst all the variants and the current dilemma:
  1. I used to drive an Audi A4 Quattro with a tweaked ECU and exhaust. So, performance/fun-to-drive was an important consideration. So the TSI was immediately in the list
  2. The DSG variant is a perfect combination of higher hp (compared to the manual diesel) with a sophisticated Automatic transmission. I have a ~15km daily commute in mostly stop-go traffic. DSG sounds very appealing in this context
  3. There is no Elegance option with TSI. In any case, I cannot justify the c.1.7 lakh on-road price difference between the Ambiente and the Elegance.
    Stanley leather would do just as fine, if not better, whenever I want to change to leather. I have a 16 month old son who has already totaled our Stanley leather furniture and I want to wait before I give him more sport
    Fully Automated Climate Control vs. Climatronic in Ambiente wasn't a deciding factor; retracting mirrors also nice to have
    I could consider upgrading to 16" wheels
The catch is due to point 2 above. Our annual mileage doesn't really require a Diesel - we need and have a second car for my wife's commute and can't seem to do more than 20K km's combined p.a. I would plonk for a TSI DSG if there was an option. Since there is no such option, I have a dilemma.

I was kicked about the Yeti, but can simply can't see the fit. Plus my wife thinks it is too quirky.

Therefore, I am where I am. If you are set on a Skoda, the group bargaining option still exists
GloryManUnited is offline  
Old 30th November 2010, 22:17   #72
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 91
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

So here I am at the end of this fantastic journey. I had great fun doing all those test drives. And the winner is ..... the Skoda Yeti

Of the three finalists I eliminated the Jetta first. Although a very good car, I was put off due to GC issues. While this is less of a problem on the Jetta compared to the Civic/Cruze, there still is scope for improvement. Secondly the low seating meant it will be difficult to drive in night. The lack of legroom at the back is another downer. And finally the prospect of a brand new Jetta less than a year away ...

Between the Laura DSG and the Yeti I decided on the Yeti because
1. The Yeti has a tall seating which means better to drive in the night
2. The Yeti has a better GC and the SUV underpinnings ensure I can drive it on broken highways and go pretty much anywhere I want.
3. The Yeti had more equipment
4. The "new kid on the block" factor and my gut-feel that the Yeti will become a very popular car and thus hold its value better.
5. The Laura DSG elegance was missing the usb/sd-card reader and had no steering mounted controls. Minor nits but it did weigh on my mind.


I will be doing the booking in the next few days. I am yet to decide on the color. Both me and my wife like the red but the dealer says they are not making red ones in-spite of being advertised. She likes black/white/brown otherwise and I prefer blue/silver. So that is a dilema we need to resolve. I will of-course buy the elegance trim that has all the goodies.

Thank you all for your valuable inputs. I will certainly maintain an ownership thread once I get the car.
GloryManUnited is offline  
Old 1st December 2010, 00:09   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryManUnited View Post
Secondly the low seating meant it will be difficult to drive in night.

Between the Laura DSG and the Yeti I decided on the Yeti because
1. The Yeti has a tall seating which means better to drive in the night
Not to take anything away from your thread but I find the logic of seat height being related to ease of driving at night well absurd for the lack of a better word. Why would the seat height have an effect on ease or otherwise of driving only at night why not during daytime too.
khoj is offline  
Old 1st December 2010, 02:28   #74
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 91
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Not to take anything away from your thread but I find the logic of seat height being related to ease of driving at night well absurd for the lack of a better word. Why would the seat height have an effect on ease or otherwise of driving only at night why not during daytime too.
When you are seated low, the glare of the headlights from oncoming vehicles tends to blind you. As you are progressively seated higher this becomes less of a problem. I have an ikon and and Santro in my garage and the Santro is my vehicle of choice at nighttime because you are seated much higher and this reduces the glare. I feel the difference everyday so I stick by my logic.

If you contesting this due to my comparison with the Laura, then I must add that the Laura is pretty good in this regard as well. It is the Jetta with its sport-seats on the Comfortline and the ikon that I am comparing too.
GloryManUnited is offline  
Old 1st December 2010, 03:09   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryManUnited View Post
When you are seated low, the glare of the headlights from oncoming vehicles tends to blind you. I feel the difference everyday so I stick by my logic.

If you contesting this due to my comparison with the Laura, then I must add that the Laura is pretty good in this regard as well. It is the Jetta with its sport-seats on the Comfortline and the ikon that I am comparing too.
You are entitled to your logic and I am not contesting anything, just trying to make sense of it. My previous car was the OHC which I believe has the lowest seats ever and the current one is the Cedia whose seats are well much higher than the OHC but certainly not the highest. However I was neither blinded by oncoming traffic in the OHC nor am I now in the Cedia. I think there is more to the problem than seat heights alone as I also found the comfortline Jetta very nice to drive and never faced this issue for the couple of months that I drove a friend's car. Infact I have been discussing on and off with people at Mitsubishi's A.S.S. ways and means of getting a pair of sports seats similar to those in the comfortline installed in the Cedia.
khoj is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14 SushilBajpai Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 281 8th December 2016 16:08
"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile Mi10 In-Car Entertainment 389 13th January 2012 10:17
Schumi Wins & Ferrari Wins 14th Title bharathsolomon Int'l Motorsport 12 17th August 2004 22:00


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks