Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 8th December 2005, 16:23   #1
BHPian

Default What car for 10-14 lakhs

Hi,

Currently I own a Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXi. I would like to upgrade to a new car soon. Reason to change the car : Would like to go for a higher end car. No problems with the Ford whatsoever.

My budget is around 10-12 lakhs. My driving is about 1000 km a month and mostly on highways. I dont like diesels that much simply because they are not as quiet as petrols.

Priorities while buying a new car:
1) Performance
2) Driving comfort
3) Ability to cruise on highways at high speeds (IMO Ikon is not a great cruiser although it has an amazing pickup and handling)
4) Adequate safety features.
5) Fuel efficiency (Ikon disappoints majorly here but that disapointment is offset by exceptional driving pleasure that it offers )

I had considered Octavia 1.8 TPI rider as well as Corolla. I didn't like Octy's looks that much although it has a great build quality where as Corolla disappoints in build quality department.

Recent ACI issue has an article regarding new Honda Civic. I quite like that car's looks as well as power also seems to be good. I dont mind waiting for 6-8 months before buying new car.

Any thoughts regarding which car to go for ?
abhijitaparadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2005, 16:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

How about stretching your budget little further for Skoda vRS and Honda Accord?
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2005, 16:48   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I dont mind waiting for 6-8 months before buying new car.
Quote:
Recent ACI issue has an article regarding new Honda Civic. I quite like that car's looks as well as power also seems to be good.
You've asked and answered your own question. If you don't mind the wait, I think the Civic is worth it. But remember, going by past record, you would need an additional 3 months AFTER you book your Honda!
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2005, 16:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
How about stretching your budget little further for Skoda vRS and Honda Accord?

The Skoda 1.8TPi and the vRS have the same engine. Only difference is the cosmetics like sunroof, bodykit etc..Ride comfort and performance are very much the same
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2005, 17:52   #5
BHPian

Since performance is your #1 criteria, I guess Skoda Rider 1.8TP will fit in your case else you can spend a bit (well 2 lakhs!) and get the vRS!

If you want to stick to the budget some other options are -
Corolla and Elantra.
I would suggest the Octavia 1.8T though although the Elantra is also nicely quipped especially in the safety department and can be considererd if you are okay with its looks.

Good FE ? - well in this zone most cars are around 1.8-2.0 L hence I doubt they will have better figures than your Ikon :-)
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2005, 18:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

If FE is your MAIN concern, go for Octavia TDi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh
I dont like diesels that much simply because they are not as quiet as petrols.
Test drive the Octi. It feels more quiet than some petrols. (ofcourse as long as you are inside the car )

Last edited by DCEite : 8th December 2005 at 18:14.
DCEite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2005, 18:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

You dont seem to mind waiting - so wait for the Civic!
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2005, 01:50   #8
BHPian

yeh waiting for the civic is not a bad idea but 6-8 months is not assured ... they usually surpass thier deadline by a good month or two due toi various factors ..thats what i ve learnt
so goto be real patient ..
duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2005, 02:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

If I was you, I would wait for the civic without doubt. But if you cant wait that long Rider is the way to go thats if you can settle without the jazz that Rs offers!!!
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2005, 12:29   #10
BHPian

Hey Abijit,

well, the Skoda and the Elantra suit ur frame the best as follows

High Speed Highway Cruising - Octavia!
Saftey Features - Elantra!
Economy - Fuel : Octavia (wee lil bit more than elantra)
Maintainence: Elantra all the way!

Now up to u to decide for the Petrol or the Diesel versions...
as the Octavia's mileage is a wee lil bit more in both petrol and diesel engines.
Octavia gives around 8-9kmpl in petrol and 13kmpl in diesel
Elantra gives around 7-8kmpl in petrol and 12kmpl in diesel

Power vise, in petrol, the Elantra is much more powerful (compared to standard Octavia, not the RS) diesel vise, somehow i personally found the elantra more powerful, but some here definately feel the Octavia is more powerful...

Thou, u could go in for the new CIVIC too, but i have seen , Honda cars are not great highway cruisers.especially at high speeds! for city use, the Civic is simply a beauty! and it seems to be powerful too, but i doubt they are gonna put Traction Control System in that! ABS and Airbags, might be there in the fully loaded versions.

Last edited by Insane Devil : 9th December 2005 at 12:34.
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 23:45   #11
BHPian

even i am confused in buying a car of around Rs. 10 - 12 lacs..
we are planning to buy the car in june.. i have heard octavia is the best but its maintenance is very costly... also please help me the FE of octavia and mileage..
ankit.agl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2006, 00:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

[QUOTE]Ride comfort and performance are very much the same[/QUOTE]

No. The Vrs rides on 16inchers wheras the Rider rides on 15inchers.

Looking at your situation it will be better for you to wait for 6 months for the Civic since the Civic is a real hot car and its worth the wait.

p.s why dont you look at Optra and Cedia?
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2006, 04:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh
Hi,

Currently I own a Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXi. I would like to upgrade to a new car soon. Reason to change the car : Would like to go for a higher end car. No problems with the Ford whatsoever.

My budget is around 10-12 lakhs. My driving is about 1000 km a month and mostly on highways. I dont like diesels that much simply because they are not as quiet as petrols.

1) Performance
2) Driving comfort
3) Ability to cruise on highways at high speeds (IMO Ikon is not a great cruiser although it has an amazing pickup and handling)
5) Fuel efficiency (Ikon disappoints majorly here but that disapointment is offset by exceptional driving pleasure that it offers )

I had considered Octavia 1.8 TPI rider as well as Corolla. I didn't like Octy's looks that much although it has a great build quality where as Corolla disappoints in build quality department.

Recent ACI issue has an article regarding new Honda Civic. I quite like that car's looks as well as power also seems to be good. I dont mind waiting for 6-8 months before buying new car.

Any thoughts regarding which car to go for ?

waiting for the new civic is a good idea. Price should be in comparision to the cedia i.e. 8-10 lakhs ex-showroom. Power output would be something between 123-130hp and the lightweight body and vtec tech will help in performace.

Otherwise currently you have ruled out the octavia and corolla.

remaining are elantra, optra and cedia

optra is a good highway cruiser with loads of comfort. power is adequate too. but it is not much fun to drive. Interiors are best in class. the old holden engine is not the best to have in optra.

elantra is a jack of all trades.You may not like the looks and interiors. TCS,ABS, airbags and other goodies are all present. handling is good but those 127 horses dont show. resale maybe poor too.

sporty performance oriented cars usually define lancer. The Indian cedia looks the pert but performs only partly. According to BBC this car is only .67 secs slower than corolla though. sound dampning is said to be good by many. I would have liked 16" wheels and a bit more power in this car. interiors not as good as optra and elantra has more kit. but a good car overall.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2006, 09:38   #14
BHPian

Quote:
1) Performance
2) Driving comfort
IMHO, the elantra does a decent job of providing most of the above. Good performance and decent comfort. It is very stable at high speeds, very good brakes, has ABS with TCS and airbags. The only thing lacking might be the FE part, which only the corolla or civic may be able to provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
waiting for the new civic is a good idea. Price should be in comparision to the cedia i.e. 8-10 lakhs ex-showroom.
Though honda might live up to its reputation of pricing it higher than the competition. It would be more closer to the corolla and octy, rather than 8-10 lakhs - otherwise, it would be too close to the NHC's market.
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2006, 12:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

For Highway driving, honda is not a good car.

Honda focuses on Performance and refinement, but are generally poor in highspeed handling and stability. The problem effects their entire range from City - Civic - Accord.

Also you may not enjoy driving due to low torque on current generation Honda cars, and I am sure it will be further detuned to suit fuel efficiency driven Indian consumers...

BHP = Top Speed
Torque = how fast you can reach that top speed (for same gear ratios)

Also for highway you need more focus on high speed Active and Passive safety features. Honda lacks on both accounts...

Don;t get me wrong, I have just recommended HOnda City ZX to my uncle, but that is primarily limited for City Driving.
But for HIghway driving honda City/CIVIC/Accord is a NO NO.
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote