Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 23rd October 2010, 21:08   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Wait for Vento AT or go with Laura DSG?

Hi fellow TBHPians,

I am facing a strange dilemma. I have already booked the VW Vento 1.6 AT, after reading and re-reading GTO's fantastic review and pretty much everything else under the sun on slushboxes, petrol versus diesel etc. on the forums.

The decision (I thought) was final. Despite some misgivings about not going for the diesel Vento, the slushbox eventually won out because I have been a fan of ATs since very young and hate what my left knee goes through while doing the Bombay ends of my runs to and from Pune.

So I went and paid my 75K to VW Pune folks and decided to wait for my baby to arrive. Only to find out that these guys have absolutely NO idea when the car will arrive. Each guy I talk to tells a different story: the first response is 3-4 months, one guy said 5 months , another says "November/December" but when I tell him it's Terra Beige I want, changes the story to "Oh no sir, those are only getting produced in January"! So when do I get it then? A shrug.

I had some free time today and decided to check out my "also-ran" choices just to make sure I hadn't missed out on anything in my downselection process. The 2 main contenders were the Chevy Cruze LTZ AT and the Skoda Laura 2.0 TDi AT. (I didn't consider the Honda Civic and eliminated its younger sibling the City AT after a TD- it frankly didn't excite me. Neither did the Toyota Altis 1.8 AT. Maybe I am biased against the Japanese...but then my current ride is a Swift!)

So off I went. The Chevy experience was boring- the car is OK, but the back seat was cramped and the price tag (16.72 OTR) put me off. They weren't even willing to commit any discounts. And frankly I am not a big fan of the Chevy badge.

So then I drove down the road to the Skoda showroom. And promptly fell in love with the Laura!

Enough's been said about the Laura elsewhere, so let me come down to what I liked vis-a-vis the Vento:
- DSG gearbox over the regular slushbox of the VW.
- Awe-inspiring 2 litre 140 BHP 320 Nm diesel engine. Can it get better than this?
- Interiors are better than the Vento. The one I checked out with Ambiente (low-end) trim seemed better equipped than the Vento Highline. Has some bells and whistles like ARS (some variant of traction control/ESP), automatic wipers, AUX enabled ICE etc. It lacked automatic climate control, though.

But what I positively loved was the rich feel of the car: the numerous nooks and crannies for storing stuff, the cooled glove box and "chocolate cabinet" under the driver armrest, the humungous boot (560 litres!), the incredibly comfy rear seats, the mini-Superb looks etc. Most of all, I loved the way I was treated by the sales staff (the same agency handles the A.S.S. as well, which gives me hope!) There is also no wait period an I could be driving this baby around by Diwali if I so wish!

Tempting eh?

The rub is that it propels me out of my comfort zone in terms of budget- OTR will be 16.5 lac or so after all discounts compared to 10.3 for Vento. But my biggest fear is that 3 years down the road, would I feel like a fool for not making the big leap when I could? After all 10 lac+ is not a small amount for a car! What if I end up disappointed?

I'd like you guys' inputs on this. I haven't TDed the Laura yet (probably tomorrow) and the missus isn't all that pleased at the thought of the 6 additional big ones! But the more I think about it, the more the idea of making the segment leap is appealing to me. Am I stupid?

-Anoop
Old 23rd October 2010, 21:24   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey noopster I can understand your dilemma. Whats your usual run and other requirements/expectations from the car? Anyways Here is what I will suggest. The laura is an absolute gorgeous car. My friend drives one and has been driving it without any trouble from the last 2-3 years. As you have also noticed you cannot compare the two cars. Its unfair to both. The interiors, Gadgets, Ride quality and Status tag- all are much higher for the Laura. On the other hand the Vento is also a very much VFM product in its segment.
So the first and foremost thing you have to consider is how much 'moolah' are you willing to spend on your car? Both while buying and also on the A**.
Secondly and more importantly Are you Willing to take the Risk of buying a skoda?
Answer the above 2 questions honestly and then decide.

If I were in your shoes I would go with a pleased missus and a Vento and not otherwise
Old 23rd October 2010, 21:29   #3
Team-BHP Support

Well if you really do like the Laura then do go for it. It is a very good car, and the build quality and feel is a level higher than the Vento/Polo.

Also you will prefer the DSG much, much more over a normal a/t.

Like you said even the Ambiente has more features than the Vento highline, besides the Climate control.

Overall its got a stonker of an engine, great ride and handling, and im reasonably sure the Skoda a.s.s wont be much worse than its parent company VW. You said the dealer seemed good so thats a positive.

If you do plan to keep the car for a while IMO it makes sense to stretch your budget, as long as its easy enough for you. See you are not going for the top end Laura so if you are really going all out to buy the Laura I would suggest you stick to the Vento and upgrade sooner than you would have to maybe the Laura L&K.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 23rd October 2010 at 21:33.
Old 23rd October 2010, 21:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

A pal of my pal was in a similar dilemma. He TD'd the Laura, Cruze and the Vento. Since Vento was cheaper, he booked it a couple of weeks ago.

But even now he is not sure if it will take 2 months or 4 to get the car. He got fed up and booked a Laura today--the Ambiente version, but manual.
Old 23rd October 2010, 22:45   #5
BHPian

Go for Laura if you can make that small stretch in budget. The car is so much more better than Vento, its not even worth discussing. I was in a similar dilemma recently thinking between City, Civic and Laura TSI and the latter eventually won the vote. Skoda is even offering Skoda Shield free with the diesels currently, so peace of mind for 4 years of ownership. A.S.S wise, I don't see much difference between Skoda and VW and luckily Skoda is good in Bangalore for me.
Old 23rd October 2010, 23:19   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not also consider the Jetta? BTW when is the new Jetta coming to india. I read somewhere early 2011. So may be you can keep the vento booking and take a look at that one later.
Old 24th October 2010, 00:25   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
If I were in your shoes I would go with a pleased missus and a Vento and not otherwise
You said it, man! But more to the point, it's a helluva lotta money. And yes the Vento is true VFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
...if you are really going all out to buy the Laura I would suggest you stick to the Vento and upgrade sooner than you would have to maybe the Laura L&K.
Wow, it's like you guys can read my mind. The main reason I was (am) so excited about the Vento is that it allows me to save up for my next car, which will DEFINITELY be in the luxe segment. The Superb is already on the shortlist, and perhaps automakers will get the market sentiment and offer a whole lot more in the around-20 lac segment soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
A pal of my pal was in a similar dilemma. But even now he is not sure if it will take 2 months or 4 to get the car. He got fed up and booked a Laura today--the Ambiente version, but manual.
Good for him. Seriously, if the VW folks had the decency to inform their dealers about their production & delivery schedules, I would probably have spent the weekend roaming boredly around a mall instead of ripping down the highway between auto showrooms! The uncertainty is killing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
Go for Laura if you can make that small stretch in budget. The car is so much more better than Vento, its not even worth discussing.
True. I get what you're saying, but "small" stretch? We're talking a 60% increase in outlay here

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Why not also consider the Jetta?
Did too. Wifey loved it. But the 2.0 TDi AT is priced at nearly 20 lac OTR. I can (almost) get an MT Superb for that!
Old 24th October 2010, 01:18   #8
BHPian

Interested in going the 2nd hand way? You would get a '07 L&K DSG for about the price of an Vento. Yes maintenance could be a high bit higher than a new Laura, but you save 6 lacs. Use it for 2-3 years, sell it for 5-6l and upgrade to a Superb. 2nd hand cars take VFM to a whole new level.

Also, I prefered the looks of the old gen Laura than the new one

Last edited by prateekm : 24th October 2010 at 01:19.
Old 24th October 2010, 01:27   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Wow, it's like you guys can read my mind. The main reason I was (am) so excited about the Vento is that it allows me to save up for my next car, which will DEFINITELY be in the luxe segment. The Superb is already on the shortlist, and perhaps automakers will get the market sentiment and offer a whole lot more in the around-20 lac segment soon.
In that case forget the Laura now since it is an upgrade, but not a HUGE upgrade. Keep the Vento for 2-3 years, I am reasonably sure it will have a decent resale value, then sell it and get a luxury car.

Get a Vento and enjoy it man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Interested in going the 2nd hand way? You would get a '07 L&K DSG for about the price of an Vento. Yes maintenance could be a high bit higher than a new Laura, but you save 6 lacs. Use it for 2-3 years, sell it for 5-6l and upgrade to a Superb. 2nd hand cars take VFM to a whole new level.

Also, I prefered the looks of the old gen Laura than the new one
I wouldnt do this. Firstly its the old gen engine, which is only 105ps. Secondly the AC compressor was beefed up in the facelift. And personally I think these cars have too many electronics. I wouldnt buy used unless its from a trusted source or if a BMW or Merc from their respective dealerships.
Old 24th October 2010, 15:27   #10
BHPian

If you can wait, then wait for the Jetta. I was almost tempted to the buy the jetta trendline when the Vento was announced and ended up buying the Vento Diesel which I am so far satisfied. However the Jetta is in a different league and the reason I did not go for jetta was, it was going to be replaced soon and of course the cost difference. The Jetta appeared more well put together car than the Laura. The new Jetta hopefully will come with the AT variant.When you are comparing a 10L car with a 20L car, value for money becomes an important factor
Old 24th October 2010, 16:31   #11
Team-BHP Support

@prateekm, thanks for the tip. I am not looking for a used car (Honda Civic was also suggested by another BHPian) and one of the main factors for the dilemma is the 140 BHP engine on the AT Laura (the MT generates 110, same as Vento). So will probably take akshay and others' advice here and get the Vento for now. The 2011 Jetta incidentally will lose the classic styling and go the Polo/Vento way, which is a pity! But other than that, it looks good and there could be a whole slew of other options to look at from other manufacturers as well. Unless the Laura totally blows us away on the TD, the decision seems made for now!
Old 24th October 2010, 16:36   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Unless the Laura totally blows us away on the TD, the decision seems made for now!
WAITTT, you havent taken a td yet? Then that just complicates it.

Post here after your td, and also please do TD the Cruze. I was under the impression you had test driven both. Now that you havent, the Cruze engine will surprise you. Dont miss it.
Old 24th October 2010, 16:42   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
WAITTT, you havent taken a td yet? Then that just complicates it.

Post here after your td, and also please do TD the Cruze. I was under the impression you had test driven both. Now that you havent, the Cruze engine will surprise you. Dont miss it.
LOL, ok. BTW my Vento AT test drive was a bit of a joke too. Half a kilometre round the block in downtown Pune traffic.
Old 24th October 2010, 21:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
Go for Laura if you can make that small stretch in budget. The car is so much more better than Vento, its not even worth discussing. I was in a similar dilemma recently thinking between City, Civic and Laura TSI and the latter eventually won the vote. Skoda is even offering Skoda Shield free with the diesels currently, so peace of mind for 4 years of ownership. A.S.S wise, I don't see much difference between Skoda and VW and luckily Skoda is good in Bangalore for me.
Which dealer in Bangalore do you recommend for the Laura?
Old 24th October 2010, 22:40   #15
BHPian

Hi GloryManUnited, its Vinayak Skoda without a doubt. Before them, Skoda scene in Bangalore was hell with respect to dealership experience and after sales support from Tafe.
Closed Thread