Diesel
City 11.6 highway 14.5

source : Autocar India
Old 16th December 2005, 03:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Devarshi,

Though I love the Lancer, I would never go as far to say it has an EVO chassis. It does not! The EVO is a heavily modified and rally-conditioned chassis.

And various reviews have stated that the Baleno is much more stable at 100+ than a Lancer. I personally attest to this fact after having owned a Lancer for close to 1,00,000 kms.

GTO
Sincere apologies for using a wrong term. I meant to say that it uses the same body as the EVO-VI and not the chassis. The Indian lancer is heavily based on the lancer EVO-VI.

GTO you proved my point when you said you love your lancer too.That's what owning a lancer is all about. Every1 who owns a lancer loves it.

AS for Handling I bet my 2 cents that lancer handles way better and is more fun to drive than the baleno anyday. Though Baleno makes up for it with more power. Deep from my heart I will give them both equal rankings.

the choice for lancer comes due to its looks which are certainly better than the baleno

I dont see much difference between both cars which are equally capable except for the fact that the brand name "Maruti" for the Baleno doesnt let it be underrated while HM doesnt care that lancer is such an underrated car.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 16th December 2005 at 03:12.
Old 16th December 2005, 13:47   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Indian lancer is heavily based on the lancer EVO-VI.
An Astounding NO! It is the EVO which is based on the regular lancer, but it is so heavily modified that any comparision is futile.

Finally, the build quality of 2005 Lancers is not a patch on Y2000 Lancers. The current Lancers are so pathetic in panel gaps / plastics / creaks that they have literally fallen to Indica levels. Please perform a search and see my / Dippys comments on the 1.8 Lancer test drive.

Also, look around for "Lamborghinis" experience with the pathetic build quality of his new Lancer.

GTO
Old 16th December 2005, 18:36   #20

ITS A REQUEST TO THE ADMIN TO STOP THIS TOPIC AS THE TOPIC OF DISCUSSION HAS DEVIATED FROM THE INTENDED TOPIC
Old 17th December 2005, 05:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
An Astounding NO! It is the EVO which is based on the regular lancer, but it is so heavily modified that any comparision is futile.

Finally, the build quality of 2005 Lancers is not a patch on Y2000 Lancers. The current Lancers are so pathetic in panel gaps / plastics / creaks that they have literally fallen to Indica levels. Please perform a search and see my / Dippys comments on the 1.8 Lancer test drive.

Also, look around for "Lamborghinis" experience with the pathetic build quality of his new Lancer.

GTO

EVo based on Indian lancer or vice-versa is the same thing. It doesnt matter as It still proves the lancer mettle. It handles better than the baleno, Is a better looker and newer than baleno save the power.

talking about its ability to handle, This is what some of the biggest names in India say.

"The Lancer is, not surprisingly, a very good driver's car, with lovely, neutral handling, near-perfect steering that is light at low speeds and puts on weight as you push, and great precision in its dynamics."

"The Lancer is a great all-rounder, a beautifully engineered and refined car that is difficult to dislike, save the dull interior and the poor highway stability. It has a great range of engines, excellent handling a comfortable interior and handsome looks; its biggest failing is that it is starting to look a little long in the tooth, and perhaps a bit ordinary compared to the flamboyant Honda City and Chevy Optra"

From Autocar

"The Honda edges ahead by one full second in the 100 kph sprint too but 11 seconds to nudge the ton is enough to make even Shahid Afridi look pedestrian. What the Lancer loses out on outright acceleration, it gains in sheer driveability. While the high revving Honda engine requires a good driver to take it to the limit, the Lancer is capable of making great drivers out of good ones. The engine is always under control and playing with the accelerator to gain or lose speed is fun with the Lancer. A flat torque curve means you make good headway even in traffic without shifting too much. The Lancer petrol engine is a true all-rounder in every sense of the word."

"Floor that pedal and point that three-diamond star to a winding road and the racer sharp reflexes of a world-rally championship car take over...well, almost. A well-weighted steering that inversely varies assistance with the speed of the car means you are tackling U-turns that can make an Omni weep in shame. And as the 100 plus mark is touched, the steering is on the 'weighed' side - always on alert and waiting for you to make those little inputs that can make life on a turning track very involving.

So it is not an E-class Mercedes that dictate terms however bad a driver you are and is also dissimilar to the Honda City which demands a distant relationship with Jacques Villeneuve to reach that neighbourhood hill station in style. The Lancer is in-between...involving when you want it to and as docile as a Maruti 800 when you don't. "

From BSmotoring

What is the difference between Fiat and Mitsubishi when both are bashed the same way?

as pointed out many times anything that is fiat or mitsubishi is bound to be bad, But anything that is a honda or hyundai is supposed to be good compromising how bad the dealers respond or high ridiculously honda prices its cars or if it has defects or not.

You said Lamborghini has had problems with his cars. Ask him if he regrets buying lancer or atlest would he have thought of buying another car or not. Ask him if the plusses outweigh the minuses. ask me, ask yourself, ask every lancer owner around whether new or old. My test drive of the invecs 1.8 in August 2005 washed all those panel gaps and creaks isuues that many people complained of. I have seen panel gaps in an optra 1.8 LT. What else can you ask for?

there are multiple threads of balenos and NHC's having problems too. WHy not bring them into the picture.

Come to think of it, a baleno is even more feeble than the lancer and more old to. Again I am Not saying that baleno is a bad car. I would rate both the cars equal.

I just want to prove that at the current price a lancer is as lucrative a car as a baleno minus the fact that its underrated highly.

Anand look at the elantra. With the current discounts galore it is better than any deal you will get out there.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 17th December 2005 at 05:17.
Old 17th December 2005, 23:33   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Devarshi,

Your trying to prove that the Indian lancer is worth the price it is currently selling at joins Hindustan Motors in the same game. Problem is that its not working. The Baleno still has the power to match its competitors (lower, equal and a segment above) and has great and reliable build quality. Whats more, it has a service backup that HM can only dream about.

Try to focus on the point - And thats the Lancers severely deteriorating build quality, not whether Lamborghini is happy with the purchase or not. I am extremely happy with my Jeep, and so is Steeroid with his Safari. Sadly the build quality is horrible on either. Its important to take an informed decision and feel free to ask Lambo about the crap he went through in the first couple of months of owning the Lancer. a 1.8 Lancer A/T for 9 lacs? Forget only HM, even the buyers are smoking the illegal stuff.

All the magazine reviews that you have posted have something in common with the Lancer - BEING OUTDATED! In 1996, the carb Esteem was one of the fastest sedans according to the magazines. Thankfully the competition has moved on, and the Lancer is no longer "the fire breathin monster" it is made out to be.

My opinion is actually backed by a one lac kilometer ownership experience. Not bench racing with magazines in my hand. Any one spending a good amount of time on Team-BHP will realise the folly of blindly believing everything car magazines write.

Quote:
EVo based on Indian lancer or vice-versa is the same thing.
Actually no. They are as different as chalk and cheese. As mentioned before, the EVO is a heavily modified version of a stock lancer and any attempts to bring up similarities only exposes the folly.

GTO
Closed Thread