Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 18th December 2005, 16:53   #16
Awaiting Email Confirmation

i dont understand why people only think about FE and RESALE VALUE ?? are those the only reason why your buying a car.NO your buying a car to drive.some thing which will thrill you as well as satisfy you in terms of performance and ass.fe n resale value etc are one of the last things one should observe.

Buy baleno
lancer_mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2005, 20:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would never recommend the petra, though its a much better car than indigo petrol. Reason is ASS.
What makes you think that TATA gives better After Sales Service then Fiat? And what makes you guys think that Indigo PETROL gives way better mileage then Petra? I find it funny that all the cars being considered give about 9-10kmpl but it's only Petra thats being called low on Fuel efficiency! If this is the state of affairs at team-bhp then I don't blame the layman on the street for not having a open mind towards Fiat and sticking to outdated rattle rappers like Esteem etc.
As for the topic under discussion, these buyers are typical Indian car buyers who go blind with faith the moment you mention the word Japanese. Let them look at Esteem and Baleno and save their and the non-japanese car dealer's percious time.

I am not surprised at all that safety is no where in the list of "must have" features in their new car.

Last edited by amit : 18th December 2005 at 20:53.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2005, 21:25   #18
Team-BHP Support

Nothing makes us think that. Its based on personal experience with both Fiat and Tata, and also expirienced of many family friends who prefer to take their palio's to roadside machanics because the workshop is out of parts half the time.

In big cities the story is better, but go to any small town and you will find that fiat has the worst ASS.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 05:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Fiat is not as big as it used to be. So you cannot expect spares to be availabe all the times. but with fiat you dont need spares all the time too.

tata is not a bad car and it also gives good service. Its a myth that tata doesnt provide good service.

Infact I have personally seen live examples of people buying tata again and again.

on the otherside you would consider honda to have very reliable dealer. But the dealer in ahmedabad is !@$#@$#@$%#@. Even the small tej motors of fiat boasts of giving better service than landmark honda.

petra and indigo are better than the competition if seen with an open mind and open eye.

you may get a kmpl or 2 less but its better in all the other aspects.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 10:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_mania
i dont understand why people only think about FE and RESALE VALUE ??
Because not everyone in the world are car enthusiasts. All they want is a saloon, good FE, decent depreciation, no after sales trouble, reasonably priced parts and a comfy ride.
See, we would compromise on ride and FE to have a thrilling drive. They couldnt give a toss as to whether the car would understeer or oversteer.

And for the non-enthusiast who does most of the driving in the city, I think Indigos and Baleno are the best options.
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 19:16   #21
Team-BHP Support

somebody ever thought of the interiors where the buyer will spend most of the time,indigo and petra have similar interiors to indica and palio respectively,they might be functional but feel like made for a price,for the cars mentioned over here ford ikon has the best back seat,indigo is the most spacious car here but somebody ever thought about the quality of plastics and the panel gaps+the seats are not that good compared to baleno and ikon.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2005, 00:14   #22
BHPian

@islero, i would take exception when you say there arent many car buffs here in Chennai. For the lakhs of people having no idea what a 'Siena' is, there are a healthy number of people able to appreciate the uniqueness of, say, a Fusion or a Swift or even a Petra. You will find an even larger percentage of people knowing about the upmarket cars like Embera, Laura and the RS.

You have made it very clear that resale is an important consideration for you. For me, it wasnt a consideration - so i went for the Corsa. And i did consider, give or take, the same combination of cars that you have listed.

When you bring in resale, out go the Corsa, Ikon and Petra, in that order. I put Ikon ahead because i have heard from some dealers that the Ikon (1.6 and the diesel versions) are going to be phased out, leaving only the Flair model (1.3). The Flair feels underpowered even when compared to the Corsa 1.4 and the less we talk about the Ford's interiors the better.

What you get with the Indigo is blessedly huge space and good fuel efficiency (diesel only). But ride quality (atleast for front seaters), safety and ergonomics take a very backward seat. I am not sure if the prospective buyer would place these very high up on their list.

I would also suggest the Indigo Marina, if you want to go for the Tata badge. That is the best looking of the lot and i have heard that it sports some of the better quality equipment in the Tata line. For 5.5 ex-showroom, you should get the top end diesel LX model. Also since you asked, the Baleno Lxi prices have shot up with the new model. Last i checked, the price was 6.7 lakhs ex showroom. Definitely not value for money in my book. At that price you can go for an Accent CRDi or a Fiesta Petrol.

The Fiat dealers are less than impressive. I was set on the Adventure and then the Petra, but i am afraid @ballkey is absolutely right. Their sales process is by no means a walk in the park. And if you would believe it, they had us drive the Adventure (no less!) inside the showroom premises so that we could get a 'feel' of the car. With that attitude, i would never recommend them.

The Marina LX, i feel should be a good fit for the buyers' needs. Its got the looks, some safety, good fuel efficiency and a better resale value compared to the other players on your list.
balashome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2005, 04:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

petra and indigo dont share the same interiors. yes most of the parts are borrowed but the sedans carry a much better and more upamrket interiors like better dials and upholstry.

tatas are by no means bad in ride quality. they are in the upperside of comfort in their segment. THough I cant say the same about handling.

Not all the fiat dealers are the same and not all owners have had bad experiences.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2005, 14:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Yep. Even spare parts costs are higher in Petra, Ikon, Accent, Corsa. Only Esteem and Indigo have cheaper spare parts ( I dont know about Baleno ).

Esteem is out, so Indigo once again edges ahead.
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2005, 14:34   #25
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Yep. Even spare parts costs are higher in Petra, Ikon, Accent, Corsa. Only Esteem and Indigo have cheaper spare parts ( I dont know about Baleno ).

Esteem is out, so Indigo once again edges ahead.
WOW!!! Fiat, Ford, Hyundai, GM, Maruti.... all beaten by our own TATA....CHEERS!!!
burjiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2005, 14:45   #26

The TATA Indigo petrol is not too bad a car as many perceive it to be. Go for it.
haljosgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2005, 16:46   #27
BHPian

I think you should ask them about their reasons for not preferring a hatch. Unless the answer is snob factor or boot space requirement, they should be encouraged to take a look at the Getz. A fully-loaded Getz wouldnt cross 5.5 lakhs.
Otherwise, the Accent base model is the best option - ~5.75 lakhs on road in chennai. Or probably wait a while, for the new Accent launch...
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote