Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 16th December 2005, 20:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default car for 5-5.5 lakhs

My mother's freind is planning to purchase a car for about 5-5.5 lakhs.

They dont want a hatchback, so the Swift and Getz are ruled out.

They dont want diesel either.

So the remaining options were Indigo petrol, Ikon flair, Accent gvs, and Corsa.

What do you people think?

here's my personal take.

Corsa is a bit outdated these days. The parts are not cheap, and mileage is not good. The ride quality is brilliant though.

Indigo lacks refinement, engine is mediocre, but space is very good, but what about the mileage?

Ikon has more style, better mileage , nicer engine, good interiors. But I think the parts are again a bit dear.

Accent the engine is ok, I dont know about mileage. Actually I dont think I am qualified to comment on the car much. Whats your feedback?

Please reply soon, people.

Cheers,
Islero
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 22:30   #2
BHPian

How come you didnt think of the Esteem ?
neoranjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 22:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

What about Ford Fiesta 1.4.. i guess it should cost marginally higher than your budget.. but its the most modern(fresh) of em all.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 22:49   #4
Team-BHP Support

Smile

1.you can also consider baleno lx it was available for 5.10lakhs after cash discount in delhi 3-4 months ago.its a steal at this price.you can still buy it for 5.50 ex-showroom(delhi). expect 12+kpl city driving
2.ford is offering a nice discount these days,you can grab a 1.6 at the price of a flair.both the flair and 1.6 are nice cars.expect 10-11kpl city driving
3.hyundai accent is also a decent option though not as fun to drive as the ikon and baleno but makes in for a nice family car.the soft suspension is good for city but you might complain at higher speeds because it tends to bounce like a pogo stick but suspension is very silent.interiors best in class now come in beige color,spares are cheaper than all other cars mentioend here,avoid the 1.6 engine.expect 10-11kpl city
4.opel corsa,got a superb ride and very functional ineteriors but lacks space,engines are good for daily use,1.4 is a better bet and is decently duel efficient,i would advice not to buy this car as spares are expensive and it is about be discountinued. expect10-11kpl city.

ALSO you can dump your hard earned money in a fiat petra and have a once in lifetime experience
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 22:52   #5
cnu
BHPian

If maintenance and mileage are the primary deciding factors, then I would suggest Esteem. My next pick would be the Fiesta 1.4.
cnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 04:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
My mother's freind is planning to purchase a car for about 5-5.5 lakhs.

They dont want a hatchback, so the Swift and Getz are ruled out.

They dont want diesel either.

So the remaining options were Indigo petrol, Ikon flair, Accent gvs, and Corsa.

What do you people think?

here's my personal take.

Corsa is a bit outdated these days. The parts are not cheap, and mileage is not good. The ride quality is brilliant though.

Indigo lacks refinement, engine is mediocre, but space is very good, but what about the mileage?

Ikon has more style, better mileage , nicer engine, good interiors. But I think the parts are again a bit dear.

Accent the engine is ok, I dont know about mileage. Actually I dont think I am qualified to comment on the car much. Whats your feedback?

Please reply soon, people.

Cheers,
Islero

Indigo petrol, Ikon flair, Accent gvs, and Corsa.

FIAT PETRA IS A BETTER BUY THAN ALL ABOVE THAT PRICE. YOU GET 1.6 100BHP ENGINE THATS fun to drive and NOT AS BAD IN fUEL EFFICIENCY AND TANK LIKE BUILD. aND NOW fIAT IS NOT QUITTING FOR ATLEAST 7-8 YEARS NOW. doNT FORGET THAT iTALIANS NEVER FORGET THE FACTOR CALLED ULTIMATE COMFORT WHEN THEY MAKE THEIR CARS.

oWNERS ON THE FORUMS ARE QUOTING ANYTHING FROM 10-14 KMPL. cERTAINLY BEHIND THE JAPANESE BUT NOT BAD CONSIDERING THE TANK LIKE BUILD AND 100BHP TORQUEY ENGINE.

fORD IKON COMES CLOSE TO THE PETRA BUT LOSES OUT ON THE BUILD AND COMFORT.

iNDIGO PETROL IS PRICED BETTER AND GETS MY VOTE FOR A TIE WITH THE PETRA. it DOESNT HAVE THE POWER BUT IT HAS COMFORT,OK FE and the best price out there.

accent is just not as refined as the competition. though the 1.5 engine is better than the 1.6 as stated by many.

corsa also has a tank like build and similar FE figure to the petra but doesnt have the power to keep up.

my conclusion decide between attitude i.e. the petra or reason i.e. the indigo.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 10:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Bro,
what about the Petra.
Apart from the resale 3-5 years down the line (though 5 years down the line there wouldn't be a major difference) and visiting a supposedly horrible service centre once in 6 months, it beats all the above mentioned competitors hollow on everything.
If not Petra, then Ikon.
BTW, all the cars mentioned above return only 8 - 8.5 kmpl in the city so there is not much difference.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 11:06   #8
BHPian

I think Fiesta 1.4 petro should be a good choice, its got great interiors, ride and good dynamics and importantly its the newest and modern. So i think its worth streching the budget a bit more for it.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 11:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the quick response guys.

Esteem is too dated, so its out.

Resale value has a lot of importance to them, and down here in Chennai, if someone says Siena (let alone Petra), people will give you a puzzled look.
They arent car buffs, so I dont think they will put up with the Petra's mileage. So Petra's out.

I have taken your advice,and suggested Indigo petrol or diesel.

Hey, what does Baleno sell for in Chennai these days? (the base model). Anyone know Chennai OTR price?

Another thing, is indigo diesel very costly to maintain in the long run? (I mean about 3-5 years of running). Anyone know about this?
Old 17th December 2005, 22:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Indigo diesel costly in the long run? This is the first time I heard such a thing.

Its a wrong notion. Yes a bit of maintainence is required for all cars after 3-4 years and indigo wont go overboard if taken care of.
Old 18th December 2005, 09:24   #11
Team-BHP Support

Nope, its not. As for indigo Petrol, well the resale is very very bad. So better stick to accent if resale is a concern.

Indigo diesel will keep them the happiest.
1. Amazing fuel economy
2. Most of the problems have been sorted out by the biggest r&D dept in India(You and me :d )
3. Space
4. Great resale
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2005, 10:13   #12
BHPian

Fiat petra would be nice, if only they would sell the Goddamned car. The knuckleheads at Sundaram insist on selling a Euro-II Petra here at chennai, probably made in Jan-Feb. What a sorry state of affairs.
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2005, 12:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

TSK1979 how can you forget the comfort that indigo offer? Idigo is one of the most comfortable cars in its segment.

Fiat petra is a really good buy if you can buy one with an open mind. Its no.1 USP aginst competition is that its European. IT doesnt have mind boggling FE(not bad either) but it has everything that other cars offer.

petra 1.6 for the petrol and indigo diesel for a diesel car would be my choice if the person can buy with an open mind.
Old 18th December 2005, 16:01   #14
Team-BHP Support

I would never recommend the petra, though its a much better car than indigo petrol. Reason is ASS. I would recommend indigo diesel over petrol if the person like to own cars which have resale value. Tata Petrols have very bad resale value, same is the case with MuVs.

Petra may offer all the features of a mercedes S class for all I care, but unless Fiat improve their ASS, its a dud and will remain so irrespective of what fiat lovers think. ASS is the most important feature in a car.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2005, 16:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Theyve taken Petra out of the list, right now they are going to test drive the Baleno and the Indigos.

I think Baleno is a very good option, especially at the dirt cheap price mentioned by anshuman. But I think resale value will be horrible.