Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 27th November 2010, 13:22   #1
BHPian

Question Petrol Versus Diesel: Toyota Corolla Altis

There are times when an informed person fails to come to a logical conclusion and this is one of them. I plan to buy a Toyota Corolla Altis for my personal transport. Thats decided. But which varient: Petrol Versus Diesel? All this net search and friendly advice from the customer care guys seems to have left me in total confusion. The more time I spend researching the topic the more confusing it gets. Each side gives a number of value-adds. Both seem right.

My driving details: Chauffeur driven 95% of the time. 70 Kms each day. Through thick traffic 55% of the times. (But when I drive I like it smooth and zippy)

While my wife is pushing for the diesel, I am not. I have never owned a diesel. I dont like its sound. Plus my own folks tend to frown at the sub merc variety type diesel vehicles. We have finally decided to let Team BHP make the choice on our behalf. Both of us will concur.

Pl help me reach a conclusion. I have seen some great advisory stuff on the forums and hope for similar advice from all you experts.
druberoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 14:16   #2
Team-BHP Support

I feel diesel will perfectly fit your bill, especially with the kind of running. Modern diesel's are quite refined, especially once run in and warmed up, so refinement should not be a big worry for you.

Do go through the detailed reviews on TBHP and that should give you some more info to make the right choice.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 14:38   #3
BHPian

Diesel is the car for you mate. It justifies your running. Altis diesel is quite refined. It is sufficiently padded and NVH levels are low inside.

The only problem is that you might find it underpowered for a car of this size. But if its driven almost fully by the driver then it shouldn't be a problem

There is a detailed review of the corolla altis diesel on Tbhp. Check it out.
benzinblut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 15:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Altis Diesel will suit your usage. Its has an refined 1.4 diesel + best rear seat comfort. As already mentioned this engine is underpowered compared to the segment offering 2.0 CRDI and this 1.4 l could find its way in the Toyota Etios too. But if you can live with it then you can take the plunge.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 19:26   #5
MAS
Senior - BHPian

70 kms a day is over 2000 kms a month and it is best to go in for a Diesel Altis. As 95% of the time, you will be chauffeured around, the "under-powered" heart will not cause you much trouble.

On the other hand, as Etios will also get the same diesel D-4D engine, it is only question of time that Toyota D will get a heart transplant. If this is not a worry for you, then go in for the Altis Diesel.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 07:18   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druberoi View Post
I have never owned a diesel. I dont like its sound. Plus my own folks tend to frown at the sub merc variety type diesel vehicles.
Dear @ druberoi
1. As you have never owned a diesel chances are you may not be sure of the characteristics of a well maintained diesel car. So, YOU may actually like the sound of one. Go for a detailed TD.
2. Folks frowning on sub-merc variety of diesel ; these folks are not exactly T-Bhp stuff. I am sorry to say this but at the same time i don't want to polish the words here. N'joy man it is going to be your money, your car and hence your pleasure.

Cheers
sanagg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 08:37   #7
BHPian

with everything said above.

Modern diesels are extremely refined, merc level or not.
Case-in-point: Hyundai i20 CRDi, once the engine warms up a little, most people won't even be able to differentiate between the petrol and diesel variants. From what I hear the Toyota 1.4 D-4D is even more refined than the Hyundai.

The only real argument against the Corolla Diesel is its lack of power, but since your car will be mostly chauffeur driven it shouldn't make any difference to you.

Also considering as per your usage, the car will be run quite a lot. Therefore IMO the diesel makes the most amount of sense for you.
kadanaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 09:58   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
On the other hand, as Etios will also get the same diesel D-4D engine, it is only question of time that Toyota D will get a heart transplant. If this is not a worry for you, then go in for the Altis Diesel.
Is this just speculation and wishful thinking or are we actually going to witness that? GTO's breakdown of October car sales also show that Altis diesel is far outnumbered by Cruze. Even on the roads in Delhi its very rare to spot a Altis diesel.

According to me you should either wait for sometime and see what Toyota is going to do about it or buy the petrol. The petrol will give you a decent mileage and also for the same variant you will get more equipment in the petrol Altis. Consider the following:

1. Lets say you buy the middle variant. The difference in OTR will come around to 1.2 L approx. Plus the more equipment that you will get in petrol version actually means that the real difference will be even more.
So even with your running of 2000 kms, you will still take 2+ years to recover that cost itself.

2. You will get a stronger engine. Even if you are chauffeured most of the time, it never hurts to get a stronger engine (that too for a lesser price).

3. There is talk of Toyota changing the engine sooner than later. What if you buy the Diesel now and learn 6 months later that a stronger engine is available. It will surely dampen the pleasure of owning your new car and also hurt the re-sale value later.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 12:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Toyota Altis Diesel will suit your usage. Its has an refined 1.4 diesel + best rear seat comfort. As already mentioned this engine is underpowered compared to the segment offering 2.0 CRDI and this 1.4 l could find its way in the Toyota Etios too. But if you can live with it then you can take the plunge.
Thats the very point behind the confusion. Diesel seems to be what most people are saying. However, I may not appreciate the engine being made available in a lower version car in a few months time. And it is almost inevitable. Another few months and Toyota is bound to upsize the engine and that again shall hurt its resale value.

I plan to keep the car for 5 to six years max. Of which the first two will go by just catching up on the cost of the higher Diesel varient car. I may save money for the next 3 years but at what cost. Moreover, there are rumours abound, regarding deregulation of the price of diesel. Plus diesel has higher maintenance costs. Increased vibration tends to result in odd noises coming from some sqeeky parts over time. I detest odd sounds in a car which were not meant to be. I have seen people take their Indigo diesel to the garage nearly every other week to sort out odd sounds, emanating from various parts of the car.

At the same time the Petrol varient is already tested for long. Its refined and frugal. No chance of Toyota introducing a bigger engine here which could affect the resale value of the car.

Lastly, if the underlying intent is just to save money alone, I may as well buy a Swift Diesel / Indica. And that its not.

Common Guys, I am looking forward to some support here.
Old 29th November 2010, 12:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Once you own a diesel.. you will never go back to a petrol!

I would recommend the diesel. It is the best/most refined engine in India today, sub 1.4L ofcourse.

Your daily travel distance itself is reason enough to buy a diesel.

You have'nt mentioned what you currently own.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 14:32   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

You have pretty much made up your mind on the diesel. Then just close your eyes and go ahead and book it. It is a great car and if you are fine with the possibility of the engine being upgraded in the near future then nothing should hold you back.
Do post a detailed booking and ownership experience. Strangely there isn't a single ownership report for the Diesel Altis.
Old 29th November 2010, 14:45   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
You have pretty much made up your mind on the diesel. Then just close your eyes and go ahead and book it. It is a great car and if you are fine with the possibility of the engine being upgraded in the near future then nothing should hold you back.
Do post a detailed booking and ownership experience. Strangely there isn't a single ownership report for the Diesel Altis.
Dear drmohitg,

Thanks for your kind advice. However, I think you got me wrong here. I am nearly certain of buying the petrol version. Here, I am giving the forum a chance to convince me otherwise. But I do hope, you experts support my choice in buying the petrol over the diesel with my specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Is this just speculation and wishful thinking or are we actually going to witness that? GTO's breakdown of October car sales also show that Altis diesel is far outnumbered by Cruze. Even on the roads in Delhi its very rare to spot a Altis diesel.

According to me you should either wait for sometime and see what Toyota is going to do about it or buy the petrol. The petrol will give you a decent mileage and also for the same variant you will get more equipment in the petrol Altis. Consider the following:

1. Lets say you buy the middle variant. The difference in OTR will come around to 1.2 L approx. Plus the more equipment that you will get in petrol version actually means that the real difference will be even more.
So even with your running of 2000 kms, you will still take 2+ years to recover that cost itself.

2. You will get a stronger engine. Even if you are chauffeured most of the time, it never hurts to get a stronger engine (that too for a lesser price).

3. There is talk of Toyota changing the engine sooner than later. What if you buy the Diesel now and learn 6 months later that a stronger engine is available. It will surely dampen the pleasure of owning your new car and also hurt the re-sale value later.

I tend to agree.

I would however love to hear what our senior expert, aka ['GURU'] GTO has to say towards my going in for petrol with the kind of running I do.

Last edited by Zappo : 29th November 2010 at 19:14. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 29th November 2010, 14:54   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

My apologies druberoi. I did get that impression from your last post . I have TD both the Diesel and the petrol variants because I was myself planning to buy the Diesel Altis a month back. The diesel engine even though small is very refined and since you are chauffeured 95% of the times, the logical choice is the diesel. 70 kms each day is a lot and diesel will surely help your cause.
In the end only thing that held me back from booking it right now was this rumor of an engine upgrade. I wouldnt be able to live with the fact that the car I bought is seen as an older, weaker sibling just an year into my purchase. So if you are fine with that then go ahead for the Diesel. Else opt for petrol. Hope that helps.
Old 29th November 2010, 14:59   #14
BHPian

I will absolutely agree with you on the points that you have pointed out for the Diesel. You would be much happier owning the petrol as the 5% of the time that you will be behind the wheels, you will be a happy owner! Also, I have not seen even a single privately owned Altis diesel on the road yet. All of them have had yellow boards. So, I guess that is another point to note
sarmarishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 07:09   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druberoi View Post
I plan to keep the car for 5 to six years max. Of which the first two will go by just catching up on the cost of the higher Diesel varient car. I may save money for the next 3 years but at what cost. Moreover, there are rumours abound, regarding deregulation of the price of diesel. Plus diesel has higher maintenance costs. Increased vibration tends to result in odd noises coming from some sqeeky parts over time. I detest odd sounds in a car which were not meant to be. I have seen people take their Indigo diesel to the garage nearly every other week to sort out odd sounds, emanating from various parts of the car.

Lastly, if the underlying intent is just to save money alone, I may as well buy a Swift Diesel / Indica. And that its not.
@druberoi

It is almost certain that you will end up buying petrol notwithstanding with whatever being ranted above. So now let us turn the table, instead of you asking bhpian replying, some tossers for you to respond

1. Does diesel means ONLY cost saving ?
2. Diesel means more vibrations and more noise etc.?
3. Only MSIL/TATA are inclined towards making diesel cars ?

After, ONLY after you respond to these question, please go back to Post #1 of this thread and re-read with your answers. Now share your reaction and come back to T-bhp for shaping your thoughts.

Happy Hunting !
Cheers

Last edited by sanagg1 : 30th November 2010 at 07:10.
sanagg1 is offline   Reply With Quote