Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 21st December 2005, 00:10   #1
Default Used Corolla - worth it?

My neighbour's selling his Corolla H 2 for 7.5 lakhs, though i think it could be negotiable. I'm not sure how old the car is, I think it's a 2003 model, and it's clocked about 46,000 kms. I haven't driven the car yet, but I've seen it around my building, and it looks very clean and well maintained.

I just wanted to check with you guys if this sounds like a good price and whether its worth it to buy a used Corolla. I'd also like to know what issues I might face with a second hand Corolla - warranty, spares, servicing, anything else?

Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 01:16   #2
Team-BHP Support

its good price,go for the car if it well maintained,spares and service are priced averagely for the segement,the car is very peppy and fuel efficient,the only problem is ride when compared to octavia and optra.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 02:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Shiva, 7.5 is pretty high considering the car has done 46k kms in lesser than 2 yrs. Check if that Corolla has ABS. For more ownership experience, u can contact our BHPian 'mr.Boombastic'. He might help u out.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 11:23   #4

Some more details I've found out:
The car is a 2003 model. According to the driver, it's one of 1200 Corollas that were imported directly from Japan as the first batch. Can anyone confirm if any such cars were imported by Toyota? If so, is this "import" worth a premium over "normal" Corollas?

Also, it has full service history etc. The driver says it has a 2 lakh kilometre warranty on the engine.

I'd really appreciate some advice from you guys on this. Is the car worth it? I'd normally not buy a used car, but this one looks to be in great condition. The only thing I'm not sure about is if it's worth the money.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 11:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

It's a pretty good price, alright. Bangalore is Corolla country, and you can't expect such prices here. If the car is clean, I say go for it.

For warranty etc, don't take the driver's word for it. Check with the company directly, or the showroom atleast. If you can, pay a showroom service guy a thousand or two, and ask him to give the car a complete check. The showroom might even do this for you officially.

BTW, the Corollas were imported from Thailand initially, not Japan, if I'm not mistaken.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2005, 16:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Mr.Chintu shah 9820143844//Email chintu_shah7@yahoo.com

Got the details from carsalesindia.com. This ad is from Mr.Chintu Shah of Mumbai. He has advertised a Toyota Corolla 2003 model done 33,000kms. He has not mentioned about the version of the car & quoting price is 7.5 L. Check it out whether the car still there for sale. If you have two cars, you could compare and settle for the best out of the two.

Price for a 2003 H2 model car of 7.5 L is okay in Chennai, but based on the resale value figures quoted by Mumbai members in different posts, this price is definitely on the higher side. One postive point is that you know the seller & you can pay some premium for get out of the hassels in going through for a second hand car from Market

Last edited by Surprise : 21st December 2005 at 16:04.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2005, 15:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

ours was the first corolla sold in Mumbai.
It is def. not imported from Japan (too bad a suspension and build quality for that).
Also the asking price is way too much.
We were getting 7.5 for our 2003 26Kkm done corolla 4 - 5 months ago.
Offer him 7.25L as a last price.
Apart from the suspension and build quality and lack of ABS, i have begun to like the car as our driver has been chaueffering me 70km everyday for the last 3 months and i have begun to really like the car now.
If possible, buy the car and upgrade the tyres and the suspension.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote