Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 22nd December 2005, 01:53   #1
BHPian

Default Chevrolet Optra Royale 1.6 LT Vs New Honda City ZX VTEC

Hi BHPians,

I'm confused between Chevy Optra Royale 1.6 LT (specifically) & New Honda City ZX VTEC.

Which amongst the above seems best for city conditions? Share all the views about performance, fuel efficiency, maintainence, (all what an indian tendency thinks about in advance in terms of pocket expenses)

Share your experiences & help me out.

PS: I've read all the views on this site but few of them are quite old.

Thanks
Old 22nd December 2005, 02:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

both are very good cars.

both look good, both have good engines. honda is FE too but optra has space.

you cant go wrong with either.

this will help you select your car.

optra is bigger,luxurious,full of features and powerful but dont expect the engine to support you in those sporty pretnesions.

Honda vtec is fast with all the needed feaetures and FE included.

its the honda if the front seat is more important and the optra if the rear seat is important.
Old 22nd December 2005, 09:57   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
its the honda if the front seat is more important and the optra if the rear seat is important.
Agree with you on that.

I test drove the Optra 1.6 (not the royale version), and found that its engine was a bit sluggish initially - Floor the pedal and not much happens - as if the engine is struggling to wake up - and then it wakes up and drops that entire 104 bhp of power.
But the ride and comfort was really great - and when I sat on the rear, I found it very roomy and comfy - could almost drift of to sleep there

However, the Honda VTEC engine will have you hooked from the moment you floor the pedal - the handling and ride quality has also been improved a lot and it matches the optra now (though thanks to the quick engine, the handling seems much better).
But it doesnt mean that the rear-seat space and comfort is lacking - its wonderful, though just a notch below the optra.

Optra Royale does come with loads of goodies that you wont find on the VTEC, like leather seats, ABS, airbags, moon-roof, CD changer - at the same price, if you are interested in those.

Maintenance would be much lower in the VTEC compared to the Optra as both spares and labour costs are much cheaper. (Optra spares are about 50% costlier)

FE is also lower in the Optra - should give you around 10-11 (with the VGIS engine), while the VTEC will deliver aroun 12-13 (dont quote me on these figures - they are based on some user experiences)

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 22nd December 2005 at 10:00.
Old 22nd December 2005, 10:02   #4
BHPian

I agree with Devarshi's summary... just to add,
  • Resale value - I think Honda will be better in this.
  • Suspension - Though the suspension of Optra was better than NHC, Honda has improved the suspension in the new models.
  • City driving - Honda drives very well in city. Due to a short bonnet, it is as easy to handle in traffic as a small car. This is based on my personal experience (graduated from Alto to Honda a few months ago)
  • At the end of it all, take a test drive of both cars. Sit in the cabin and you will know what you like!!!!
Happy hunting!
Old 22nd December 2005, 10:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Actually Optra wins head over NHC but it's FE is not as good as NHC. But since ZX is 101 ps i doubt that NHC will give the same FE now. Though optra got more classy looks and better luxuries than NHC but its FE is quiet less around 10 - 12 in city with AC.

So at the end if you want a car which got better luxuries and classy looks then go for optra and if you are going to use the car only for city drving then go for NHC.

Old 22nd December 2005, 11:49   #6
BHPian

I agree with the style & classy features that Optra Royale is providing. But what if i see the pocket? What about maintainence & other costs?
Old 22nd December 2005, 12:10   #7
BHPian

GM has a 2 year (20000 km) service holiday (I also remember seeing an Advert recently where they mentioned a scheme with a 3 year (30000 km) service holiday.) so regular maintenance costs are defered by that duration.

Of course, in case you need to do accidental repair (and this is very probable in delhi roads), it might cost you more than the honda.

I would say go for the Optra 1.6 - but then I own one so my advise is biased :-)
Old 22nd December 2005, 12:40   #8
BHPian

Honda VTEC for
1) Performance and FE (Driver's Car)
2) Easy to drive in city
3) Good resale value
4) Low spare costs

Optra Royale for
1) Good rear leg space
2) Good suspension
3) Feature rich
Old 22nd December 2005, 12:55   #9
Max
BHPian

can anyone confirm this has air bags included. ????

I think price is 8.99 lakhs - discounts ? right ? if this car comes with airbags for 8.99 lakhs I highly recommend you to go for this car. After all safety does matters.

Oh yeah, in optra you will be paying 15% more on fuel bills but you will drive luxury car with safety features.
Old 22nd December 2005, 13:59   #10
BHPian

Neither of these cars (Royale or City VTEC) have airbags or ABS.

City does not offer airbags/ABS on any model, Optra only offers these in the 1.8 LT models.
Old 22nd December 2005, 16:56   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This topic has already been discussed At this linky.

Please continue your discussion there.

Thread closed.

GTO
Closed Thread