Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 21st December 2010, 03:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Etios or Fiesta?

I would say stretch and get the 1.6S Ford. Etios is still unchartered territory. A known devil is better than an unknown angel.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 06:17   #17
BHPian

Fiesta 1.6S for driving pleasure. Etios... going by perception of Toyota in our minds - more for peace and reliability. However, it is better to wait for ownership reviews of Etios and then make a call.
Simhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 08:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Etios or Fiesta?

Ford Fiesta for sheer driving pleasure and I can vouch for it since I own one. if you can hold on to yout horses till end of Jan , you may hear some good news from Ford about launching the new Fiesta maybe in hatch or sedan version.

Till then it will give a good amount of time to TD all the cars you wished for.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 08:16   #19
BHPian

If you can wait then definitely the etios or anything other than the ford as its too old now. You dont want buyers remorse a few months down the line when a shiny new Fiesta is available in the market and the fiesta you just bought has reduced by a lakh or more in price.
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 08:21   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I would say stretch and get the 1.6S Ford. Etios is still unchartered territory. A known devil is better than an unknown angel.
I guess he is looking for a diesel machine.

And if you can stretch the budget a bit, you can expand the choices to Vento or Linea diesels.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 10:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

If you can ignore the grotesque looks, a good deal of 60 grand off is also going on the verna transform base petrol. Though not a hoot to drive, but "bland and sensible" mechanicals. The etios is not my cup of tea. It screams "cheap" from all angles.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 12:08   #22
BHPian

Folks! Thanks for your overwhelming and prompt responses.

Quote:
I dont think a hatchback gives a "cheapo" image. On the other hand, there are some who consider that buying a lower end version of a car is el cheapo.
@selfdrive:- I agree that it doesn't. But he doesn't want to buy a hatchback at any cost. Why will I buy hatch if I am spending 6 lacs- syndrome!

Quote:
If you can ignore the grotesque looks, a good deal of 60 grand off is also going on the verna transform base petrol. Though not a hoot to drive, but "bland and sensible" mechanicals.
@Siddy:- good one. I need to check this. L:et me check the details.

Quote:
I don't think so Fiesta would be sold along with the newer model due to price variation, new product sales would get hit if they still sell old Fiesta at a lesser price. People would opt for old model since it has the same engine and price difference would not be more 1 or 1.5L. 1.6 will yield a mileage of 8 or 9 and not more than that
@camchennai:- Is it a surmise or any info to back this up.

Quote:
Fiesta is an excellent car but I seriously doubt if it fits your strict 6 lakh budget. For that matter I doubt if even Etios on-road would fit that budget. Let's see.
@rajukushank:- He lives in Gurgaon where registration charges are 2%. Also, he is getting an overall discount of 91k on the model.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 21st December 2010 at 12:10.
Abhi_Automobile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 12:15   #23
BHPian

If he is so keen on a sedan only and his budget is 6lakhs, he might wish to consider the Chevy Aveo sedan. They will give him the loaded version for that much. I'd rather get the top trim of the Aveo than the bottom trim of the Fiesta. I am not sure if they cover it under the 3 year no-hassle warranty though.
invidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 12:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Aveo ONLY if CNG is needed. Otherwise there is nothing unique about the sedan. The 1.4 engine is dull to respond and gearbox is still not upto mark despite improvements being made in 2009. Resale value is also dreadful. But for a sensible hassle free to own factory fitted CNG vehicle, the aveo is a good option.
Old 21st December 2010, 12:28   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The etios is not my cup of tea. It screams "cheap" from all angles.
Perfectly worded. and many more cars do.
abhi1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 12:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Aveo ONLY if CNG is needed. Otherwise there is nothing unique about the sedan. The 1.4 engine is dull to respond and gearbox is still not upto mark despite improvements being made in 2009. Resale value is also dreadful. But for a sensible hassle free to own factory fitted CNG vehicle, the aveo is a good option.
@Siddy:- Surprifingly, they don't seem to be offering 'whopping' discounts on the CNG variant. On road is north of 6.5 lac. For a car that is a complete market flop, thats a lot of money.

Did I miss a deal that he can work out which will put the car close to 6 lacs?? As I said, CNG is not essential but if he can manage one in the same price, it would be big a draw. Actually, he wanted to go with a diesel vehicle but obviously there is no diesel 'sedan' available around 6 lacs.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 21st December 2010 at 12:35.
Old 21st December 2010, 12:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Etios or Fiesta?

Hey Abhi,

Have you test driven the two options you have kept i.e Fiesta and Etios. How did your find them different? Or are you just working on the paper right now and then decide.
Enlighten us.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 12:49   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Have you test driven the two options you have kept i.e Fiesta and Etios. How did your find them different? Or are you just working on the paper right now and then decide.
Enlighten us.
@ghodlur:- Both I and my BIL have driven the Fiesta when I was in Delhi last month. I had driven the Fiesta earlier as well and like the vehicle. With the Etios, everything is on paper
Old 21st December 2010, 12:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

how much is a fiesta EXI tdci coming out to be On road after discounts?
Old 21st December 2010, 12:59   #30
BHPian

Quote:
how much is a fiesta EXI tdci coming out to be On road after discounts?
@Siddy:- Another good one. Muh man's checking the prices. Somehow, they didn't seem to be as generous with the diesel discounts when I last checked. Probably, it is selling a wee bit better.

With the subsidies, everyone in India wants to buy a diesel, good car or not (the Fiesta is a fine car though!). Its a semi shameful situation, the petrol is a bigger engine and better to drive, yet goes for 'much cheaper' than the diesel. The corolla is another example, why should a 1.4 D4D lame engine be priced higher than a powerful 1.8 VVTi engine. And its not that only the low-tech (naturally aspirated) engines are priced lower- even the Laura TSI (this is as good as petrol engine gets as far as common man goes) is much cheaper than its diesel counterpart!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 21st December 2010 at 13:05.