Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 20th December 2010, 15:06   #1
BHPian

Default Etios or Fiesta?

Guys,

Can you quickly give your pick out of the two sedans:

The Background first: This car will be bought by my BIL and shall be driven in Gurgaon (NCR). My BIL has just started working (a few months ago) and just like many of us, car is on top of his agenda.

Ideally they (my Father in law, brother in law and mother in law) would have liked to buy a diesel but my BIL insists that he wants a SEDAN (a hatchback is a hatchback mentality). Since he is a fresher, I would like him to take minimum payload on his pocket (in EMI as well as fuel bills). But at the same time he doesn't want a car that will give him a 'cheapo' image. Needless to mention that he doesn't like:

Manza: Its a TATA! (his words). Also, Indigo= Cheap taxi.

DZire: Oddball shape.

The budget for this operation is strictly 6 lacs.

So the only options he is considering are:

Ford Fiesta: The only Fiesta that will fall in the budget is the base version. Exi. They are not offering the 'Limited Edition' anymore. The car is a hoot to drive. It has a stonker of an engine and looks fine too. The few things he is not sure about are :

1. The 'Ford' factor. Are the spare parts costly even now? I know that they used to be costly at one point of time. It is relatively less spacious but that won't matter.

2. Fuel efficiency: Is it decently fuel efficient?

3. Potential CNG conversion: Although he is not looking at converting his new car to a CNG one, its not completely ruled out for the future. If the running goes really high, he may be left with not too many options but to put it to CNG. Warranty will lapse then and there! Although we don't know if such a situation will arrive or not, I will like to know if
i. Fiesta can run well on CNG at all? Has anybody seen one. I, for one, haven't!
ii. Is it ok to let the warranty lapse? Does it have a image of breaking down.?

Toyota Etios This a diametrically opposite car to the Ford. Dull and boring to look at, it does have its own set of charms. They are all wooed by the Toyota= Reliability theory. It is a car that they can buy and forget about and be rest assured that nothing will happen to it. Although he hasn't driven one, he is willing to book one provided that he gets it is reasonable amount of time. He has his own set of concerns for Etios:

1. Logan-ish looks: He is not at all impressed by the looks of the car. Although, I think that he can live with it.

2. Waiting Period: This is the killer problem. All Toyota dealers are quoting July/August/September (are they nuts!) as the earliest delivery date? Is it a conservative estimate that the dealers are quoting to make sure that they are not 'red faced' at the time of promised delivery. Or does it usually take as much time? Is there any plans to ramp up production? (any inside info)

The decision may boil down to the fact that is it worth to wait for 8 months (potentially) to get the Etios? (considering his profile) Or its best to pick up the Fiesta anyway.

I think thats about it! Oh yes, the 'final' deals that he is getting for
Fiesta Exi= 5.95 on road Gurgaon. Yes, its running that cheap
Etios middle version: 5.8 on road, Gurgaon.

Please share your thoughts...

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 20th December 2010 at 15:11.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 15:20   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Etios or Fiesta?

From a ford perspective,I can tell you that all the rant about the spares being expensive are done by folks who dont own a ford.
I own a Ford Ikon TDCI and have found that the ownership is just as expensive as my Swift Diesel.
The Ford runs well and is extremely reliable.

Not sure about the Etios but I'd definitely want to own a Toyota if I had the choice

Last edited by Eddy : 20th December 2010 at 15:46. Reason: Please don't quote a long post. Makes it hard for our mobile users
hallik9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 15:28   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I will say, Fiesta. Looks a bit dated, but definitely younger than the Etios.

The ford ownership cost thing is a bit overblown. The Fiesta is a good car, and with quite proven abilities.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 15:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

you definitely cant ignore the 71,000 discount given in the fiesta. Except for interior space and toyota badge, its ford all the way. But remember that the model is getting replaced in april, so its a good time to haggle more. My choice? the fiesta. In case you really need a long term CNG, do check out the 1.4 aveo LS CNG with factory fitted kit.

Last edited by sidindica : 20th December 2010 at 15:30.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 15:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Fiesta Exi= 5.95 on road Gurgaon. Yes, its running that cheap
Etios middle version: 5.8 on road, Gurgaon.
Don't even hesitate. Fiesta 1.6 @ 5.95 is a fantastic deal.
Remember Etios is an entry level sedan made for the extremly budget conscious. Can't compare it with a Fiesta. Just ask him to sit inside both cars. He'll know the difference.

If only the Fiesta had been available at this price here in the south,
i would have made a mad rush to the Ford dealer.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 15:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
you definitely cant ignore the 71,000 discount given in the fiesta. Except for interior space and toyota badge, its ford all the way. But remember that the model is getting replaced in april, so its a good time to haggle more. My choice? the fiesta.
Hey Siddy! Good to see your quick response. Is the model being 'replaced' by Ford with the 'new' Fiesta or will the new Fiesta be sold alongside the 'current' one? Going by the greed of Indian automobile companies, it could be the latter. However, I have no official info. Do you?

Quote:
In case you really need a long term CNG, do check out the 1.4 aveo LS CNG with factory fitted kit.
Yes, but its a lackluster car in every which way possible. There is nothing in the car that is great, other than the price. Atleast Etios gets the Toyota badge!!
Old 20th December 2010, 15:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Boy-o-boy, its fiesta anyday if compared to etios! Especially the 1.6 is a hoot o drive and 5.95 is a steal. Also, since there are new models from ford coming you could get more discounts, just enquire around!!

I own a ford and I know friends who do and I can tell you ford ownership may be a bit costly but not as much as I would not buy their car! So if I were your BIL and had to decide between these two cars, Fiesta it is for me!

Edit: I remeber reading somewhere that the Old fiesta would be continued . I may be wrong too!

Last edited by anilisanil : 20th December 2010 at 15:51.
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 15:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Boy-o-boy, its fiesta anyday if compared to etios! Especially the 1.6 is a hoot o drive and 5.95 is a steal.
It sure is. The deal includes 71k cash discount and 20k from dealer. What else do you want! We'll haggle even harder for sure.
Old 20th December 2010, 15:59   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Hey Siddy! Good to see your quick response. Is the model being 'replaced' by Ford with the 'new' Fiesta or will the new Fiesta be sold alongside the 'current' one? Going by the greed of Indian automobile companies, it could be the latter. However, I have no official info. Do you?

Yes, but its a lackluster car in every which way possible. There is nothing in the car that is great, other than the price. Atleast Etios gets the Toyota badge!!
The 'new' Fiesta which is expected to get on our shores is an entirely new product. So you could be right - that the new car being sold along with the existing one. Maybe the way how Maruti used to sell different versions of Swift in India
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 16:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Is he open to pre-owned cars? If yes look for a Civic/Octavia.
There are couple of listed here on T-BHP fitting in your budget.

Etios is not a premium sedan.

Last edited by HammerHead : 20th December 2010 at 16:08.
HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 16:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Is he open to pre-owned cars? If yes look for a Civic
Unfortunately not so! Also, the older esteem that they currently have is not in that great shape. So this car will be used for practically used for all purposes.

They (most of us do)have this psychological block that pre-owned cars will be necessarily costlier to maintain. Something which may not be always true. Also, Civics are known to be super reliable.

One thing true about pre-owned cars is this: They are best bought with outright cash. The pre-owned interest rates are insane and this car will be majorly loaned. Bottom line, they will not go with a pre owned car!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 20th December 2010 at 16:12.
Old 20th December 2010, 22:33   #12
BHPian

Fiesta , it should be for me as well! SIAM quoted numbers are 14.1 for the Fiesta , so expect anywhere between 10 - 11 in the city based on driving style. Ford is 1100 Kgs + etios is 900 Kgs. Does the extra metal mean solid build + more safety is subjective but I think yes.
vignesh_ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 00:24   #13
BHPian

I don't think so Fiesta would be sold along with the newer model due to price variation, new product sales would get hit if they still sell old Fiesta at a lesser price. People would opt for old model since it has the same engine and price difference would not be more 1 or 1.5L. 1.6 will yield a mileage of 8 or 9 and not more than that

Ford as a company they change their models every 5 years and I guess Fiesta would go through the same process.

Etios is a wonderful car and you would sure have a trouble free ownership however you need to prepare yourself for the long waiting period.

@vignesh_ny - Today every car maker chant the same mantra, try to reduce the weight of the car by all means without compromising on the safety. The reduction is to bring more efficiency to the car with better fuel efficiency.
camchennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 02:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

I dont think a hatchback gives a "cheapo" image. On the other hand, there are some who consider that buying a lower end version of a car is el cheapo. nevertheless, if he has set his mind for one of these two, I would go for the fiesta. Issues about higher cost of ownership are exaggerated IMHO. Your ford dealer may provide you a comparative analysis of spares on request (against competitors). I had seen such a list when I TDed the figo
selfdrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 02:19   #15
BHPian

I would suggest let us wait for Etios to show up first, test drive and then judge it.

Fiesta is an excellent car but I seriously doubt if it fits your strict 6 lakh budget. For that matter I doubt if even Etios on-road would fit that budget. Let's see.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote