Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 27th December 2005, 14:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
I dont think the Accord has xenons as standard fitment.

GTO
Oooopppsss!!! My bad, I always thought that the V6 came with Xenons. It's a shame if they didn't. What are those than? Fancy white bulbs??
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2005, 15:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Massi ji..

I would suggest you wait for the Civic. Grab your copy of Autocarindia January issue, or visit autocarindia.com .. got some interesting facts..
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2005, 15:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

well if i had a choice like that i would go for the Laura anyday !
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2005, 15:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
well if i had a choice like that i would go for the Laura anyday !
is it just me or does that sounds really weird ?
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2005, 15:49   #20
Team-BHP Support

ROFLMAO , adya, your post had me in splits

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th December 2005 at 15:51.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2005, 16:31   #21
BHPian

Of these choices, my vote goes to the Accord V6. In my opinion it is a far superior car than the Skoda Laura, DSG or not. A single feature such as DSG doesn't make the Laura a better buy. For me, the choice of an Accord is only reinforced because you're considering the V6 engine on the Accord.

The Civic comes in second even with the lower price tag and the Laura is last.

Read this thread for more reasons NOT to choose a Laura:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...res-proof.html
airfoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2005, 18:29   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Aunty, Boom loves the radical new civic and Honda spares are not very low compared to european marques. So, wait till the new accord and civic are launched. Dont hurry at ur decision
What, da, I told her I hate the way the Civic looks... Now, I am caught! LOL.

Umm... Motormom, I'm taking a printout of the replies so far for you... And Ma, Mahe is right in what he has stated, do you know how much the mirrors of an Accord V6 cost? However, I don't know if the Honda Accord V6 has power mirrors that open and close at the touch of a button either. As of now, Laura still has me in a love-hate relationship.. DSG Vs. sorry 1.9PD engine. I'm sorry for not getting a Honda Accord home for a test drive, but that's because I'm simply not going buy the current Honda Accord model when the 2006 Accord is already out. At the same time, my mind is very open to what you and all my other Team-BHPians have to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
If you can wait until June / July 2006 - WAIT! The new Camry may be here by then, and rumors are abound that they will get the pricing closer to Accord levels this time around.

Also - the new Accord may well be here by then.
Tell me more, GTO Bhai... I never new a new Camry was coming. Any threads where I can read more about this? .... Got any fresh news from Honda, kya? Please do let me know, thanks.
MrBoombastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2005, 20:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

I look at things differently here. Initially, I found the pricing of the Laura a rip-off but the car isn't only about PD or DSG. There are a number of features that ultimatley justify the price. And they are not merely features but extremely usable features.
1. Six Airbags. Kudos to Skoda for going full throttle on safety. What is the price of one's life? If 6 airbags add 35K to the cost of a car, I say it's worth it. I value my life.
2. ABS is avaliable on all cars at this price. But Skoda gives you ASR/ESP. Some Insurance companies in North America are lowering insurance rates if the car you are buying has ESP. It's a valuable safety equipement.
3. Rain sensitive wipers. From what I know Honda Accord doesn't have it.

There are other comfort features that make Laura's price pretty competitive in my opinion. Power seats with memory(?), Multi-function steering, MFI etc etc. I wouldn't worry about replacing my door mirrors with integrated side blinkers. The fact they are a valueable safety feature, specially in India is good enough for me. Why are we cribbing over features. Skoda is in a no win situation here. They give parkotronic and people ask what would happen if I have to replace/repair it? They give xenons and people start calculating how much it would cost to replace it in the event of an accident. If skoda didn't give any of these features, people would say skoda is trying to rip us off by charging 19lacs for a car and not even bothering to give xenons. Sure there are some totally useless features too. Cruise control , heated seats and heated mirors. What were skoda thinking?
Unlike the majority, I am not looking at Laura and thinking PD and DSG. I am looking at the bigger picture. Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture. Like I said, different people buy cars differently. If I was looking to buy a car, I would focus on the driving enjoyment I would get, I would focus on the years and years of trouble free motoring I would get and not nitpick on how much I would spend on replacing headlights and bulbs and mirrors.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2005, 21:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Bombastic, ask your salesperson why Skoda is not launching the 2.0Tdi variant in India.

There is a strong reason why the 2.0Tdi is not avaliable in the new Passat here in Canada. I know that and most of the knowledgeable people who come in enquiring about the Passat Tdi to me know the reason too. As for the idiots, I just have to be honest and frank with them and tell them that it has nothing to do with VW and everything to do with your government.

Last edited by amit : 27th December 2005 at 21:02.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2005, 22:12   #25
Team-BHP Support

Government? Couldn't get your point
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2005, 06:43   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoombastic
I'm sorry for not getting a Honda Accord home for a test drive, but that's because I'm simply not going buy the current Honda Accord model when the 2006 Accord is already out. At .
Boom, I think you are refering to the redesigned tail-lights. Its only for the NorthAmerican market and they dont have plans to give that look to the rest of the world. I think the reason for that is because in NA, they sell like half million Accords a year and they start to look too familiar after a while. Puls I dont think there's any other major change.

For example, look at the Australian Accord, it hasn't changed.

http://www.honda.com.au/accord/vti/i...ge+gallery.htm

So, please dont think Honda is being unfair, they have always strived to give the latest and greatest to the Indian consumer.

For me, for that price, I simply can't refuse that VTEC V6 and 220 bhp.

Last edited by Mpower : 28th December 2005 at 06:46.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2005, 07:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Government? Couldn't get your point
Thats a point to the fuel quality available in the country that the government controls.
nishant_kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2005, 10:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Boom, I think you are refering to the redesigned tail-lights. Its only for the NorthAmerican market and they dont have plans to give that look to the rest of the world.
We got the redesigned tail lamps here in the middle east a couple of months back.

Quote:
For me, for that price, I simply can't refuse that VTEC V6 and 220 bhp.
And Simon sez that you may also have a 235 bhp V6 on the Sonata at a similar price very soon.

But then Hyundai is infra-dig around here
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2005, 10:53   #29
BHPian

There was a Laura ad in todays TOI here....well they did say about all the nice features it has but I wonder why they lft out power/torque figures ?
Is it because when a guy spends 19llakhs, he doesnt care about it (figures)?
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2005, 11:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VTEC V6 and 220 bhp.
Seem to recall reading somewhere in this forum that the V6 was not a VTEC engine. Can someone confirm ?

Quote:
And Simon sez that you may also have a 235 bhp V6 on the Sonata at a similar price very soon.
But then Hyundai is infra-dig around here
and VTVT just doesn't sound as good as VTEC
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote