Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 18th January 2011, 12:12   #16
BANNED

Default Re: Best Buy - Used Honda accord or a new corolla altis ?

Since the Honda is a real drivers car there are chances it may have been abused. Check it properly before buying. I would suggest you sacrifice the performance and settle for the New Altis. You'll have peace of mind for many years. The previous generation Accord looks a bit dated. You could check out some pre-owned current generation Accords if you really want the Accord.
Live To Jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 12:17   #17
BHPian

Hi Dude. I too like most of the forum members would suggest an old Accord V6. I think you will be able to get a good example( say 05-06 model) for about 6 lakhs. The saving of 4-5 lakhs can be of use when you tank up the guzzler.
But the sheer driving pleasure of the V6 in the ghats of Shimla is going to be priceless. Have you seen the G.T. Road being made. Once fully constructed, a drive to Delhi will not take more than 2 hours for you. Then will you realize the need of a powerful vehicle on such clean and beautiful roads.
I agree on the fe part but one of my friends who owns an accord V6 gets 10 kmpl on the highways and 7-8 in the city. It's just the driving style that matters.
Cheers.
isldhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 13:16   #18
BHPian

you should get the accord, seen a couple here for 13/14 (manual) in decent condition, the old v6 is a great buy, if fuel is not a concern, especially the cosmetically changed one, which preceded the current gen accord. good luck with your purchase
TRANSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 13:43   #19
BHPian

I'd go with a new car any day.
So in this case,my choice would be the Corolla Altis
hallik9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 14:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you to go for a new car for peace of mind.

If the usage is less, you may consider used one as maintaining a bigger used car can be expensive IMO.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 00:23   #21
BANNED

Thanks for the inputs guys. I understand that alot of people suggest the civic. My aunt owns a civic and i ve driven it on a number of occassions and maybe its just me but i dont like the interiors to a point where i cant even enjoy the car. So its definitely out. I really like the new altis . Its just that the whole idea of a good car from a segment higher at a price lower than a new altis is tempting . I wanted the v6 but the fuel economy will be too much of a burden.( Did someone mention 7/8 kmpl in city for a v6 and 10 on the highway ?? ) So a 2.4 sounds good , but then again as someone pointed out , the older accord already looks old. Spending 8 /9 on a 2007 car and in 2 months still feeling unsatisfied not because the car has any short comings but just that what i have is already a generation old. My mind says the altis my heart says the accord. I had the older superb and as much as i loved that car it broke my back maintaiing it with the worst A.S.S i ve experienced. So i am not buying a skoda again ( aka laura) .

Last edited by bigron : 24th January 2011 at 00:29.
bigron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 10:41   #22
Team-BHP Support

Haha you really are in a dilemma. I think you should give yourself maybe 2-3 months, and search around in the used car market. See 2.4 Accords and even 3.0s. The reason im saying 3.0s is because I just saw you live in Chandigarh, and from what ive heard the roads there are great and there isnt that much traffic. So the mileage will be around 6 at least. Otherwise just take one for a spin and you will think the low mileage is worth it.

Btw about a.s.s, a normal service on the Accord is around 2000 excluding the oil changes.

At the end of your time limit if you dont find a good example then pick up the Altis.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 11:15   #23
BHPian

I have an Automatic Altis which has given me overall 10 kmpl so far so you can expect better with a manual.. It is a very good comfortable car which is not too big to drive in city traffic. No maintenance issues so far. Only 1 service per year with 3 years warranty means very low maintenance costs. Accord will give you more performance on the highways and a bigger cabin, but sadly it does not have high speed dynamics to match it's engine so the net effect does not make much difference over Altis. As it is, any big car is a pain to drive in City traffic.

With Altis you will get a new car with 3 years warranty, less maintenance costs, better milage and easy drivability in city. So you decide as per your priorities.

Last edited by akj53 : 24th January 2011 at 11:17.
akj53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 13:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Go with your mind! Altis is a brilliant car and you can easily squeeze out 13 kmpl in the manual. Also FYI, facelifted Altis is rumoured. Check it out too.
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 15:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Did you even think of an used superb or even the used Laura L&K. I find laura L&K at 12L-14L used based on the year and total mileage.

If you dont want to go the Skoda route I say you should look at the Altis. Used vs New will be another topic. Personally i would pick a new car ready and enjoy every minute of its fresh life
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 20:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

I agree! a spanking new altis would be the way to go! although if possible would wait for the facelifted version. or get a good deal on a pre facelifted one. Also since this is the magical time for car buyers as the financial year is coming to an end. One could get a better deal if you act NOW! Good Luck!
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 16:07   #27
BHPian

Buying a car in a higher price category would incur costs accordingly. I am naturally inclined to new cars for a more assured experience, however in your case you may want to keep the budget for the Accord at about a lac or two lesser to compensate for higher costs of operation (fuel, accidental, periodic maintainence).

Wonder why you rule out the Cruze/Optra TCDi. Both wonderful diesels which give the best of petrol and diesel worlds.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 12:25   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
With Altis you will get a new car with 3 years warranty, less maintenance costs, better milage and easy drivability in city. So you decide as per your priorities.
I agree with the words of akj53.

IMO you can get a high segment car at the same price but a brand new car is anyday better than a used car.

Although you have fixed your criteria but still, you can try cruize, good performance car and will give you peace of mind too.

Good luck.
g.nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 16:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

I'd suggest you go with accord 2.4. Firstly, you get a gem of an engine, it loves to be revved and then a car which is a segment above altis. Secondly, the altis is for people who love rear seats. Engine, gearbox and suspension, things that are matters most to an enthusiast are better packed in an accord than the altis. Ofcourse, the rear as in all Hondas is soft and bouncy, it can be taken care of by an upgrade.

Another car, I would recommend is a cedia, you will find quiet a few in chandigarh and a pristine one (2010) model can be found for about 7 lac rupees. So, the rest of the money can go in Performance Upgrades. A dealership in Chandigarh has a new 2009 model cedia, some bargaining can get you the car with company warranty and all for 8.5ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The reason im saying 3.0s is because I just saw you live in Chandigarh, and from what ive heard the roads there are great and there isnt that much traffic.
Every time I visit Chandigarh, the FE of my cedia goes down to about 7-8 for the same reasons you quoted above. Apart from this, a good suspension is a must as there are a lot of round abouts and I dont like to slow down .

OT: just figured out that I replied to a slightly old thread.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 12th April 2011 at 16:47.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 00:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

hands down accord anyday!

if i were u i would get the accord over the corolla for the following reasons,

bigger engine,
better resale value,
mod friendly
road presence,
and its a segment higher!
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote