Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 22nd January 2011, 00:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Wait for Vento or Book Chevrolet Cruze?

Couple of questions about the Cruze, with regards to manual vs auto...

1. I have driven the manual in the city and the "spring-back" clutch makes it hard to drive in bumper to bumper traffic. Will the auto make city driving more pleasant?

2. How's the turbo lag on the auto? Similar, better or worse than the manual?
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 08:29   #32
Team-BHP Support

@razor- Of course the AT will make life much more comfortable in city traffic. Go for it.

Have heard turbo lag is less in the AT but in any diesel you get used to the turbo lag sooner or later. Should not be a deal breaker in my opinion.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 20:48   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
1. I have driven the manual in the city and the "spring-back" clutch makes it hard to drive in bumper to bumper traffic. Will the auto make city driving more pleasant?
Definitely. Automatics are best suited to Indian driving conditions. Plus, the turbo-lag & aggressive clutch won't be a bother. However, keep in mind that the Cruze 6 speed AT is an old school auto, and doesn't have the kickdown response time of the Laura (for instance). The Cruze AT is geared toward a "sedate" driving style than an impatient one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am surprised that after living with the car you still find the turbolag an issue?
You can get used to turbo-lag, Mobike, but no driving style can make it go away. My Indigo TDi also has severe turbo-lag. While I'm used to it, the lag is still a pain in city driving. How much ever you try, this type of car will require more gearshifts in the city. Cars with lesser turbo-lag are definitely better for urban driving.

Quote:
I am not denying that there isnt any lag but, come on which diesel car does not have it.
The Vento (as the other option that the thread starter is considering). It has nearly zero lag. Other cars : Micra, Logan, Figo, Fiesta, Fortuner etc.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 22:40   #34

Sorry, I don't want to mess this thread up but as people are giving their inputs I would like to let everyone know where I am at the moment.

I TD Cruze and found out almost every point in this thread is true. The clutch is hard and there is surely the turbo lag problem. My mom found it little impractical for the city but didn't object on booking it. So I surely wont like my mom having problems when she is driving in the city. I don't want to further push my budget so the automatic also gets ruled out.

As for my current booking Vento, all I can say is I am seeing new Vento's on road everyday without number plates, none in black yet. I called up the dealership today and asked them to cancel it. The salesman was pushing saying "Sir you have waited for more than 5months, please wait for another couple of week. I am trying very hard". After a bit of argument, he said that if I am seriously considering to cancel it, he will get me my cheque ready the same day.

After long thought and bit of research, I decided to get a small car for 1-2 years and change when I seriously would like a new sedan. I thought Micra Diesel XV would be a good option. I had mentioned once that I believe a sedan should be replaced by a sedan only, but going against my own rule I am not liking any other sedans currently in the market except Vento (in that budget), period. I was on verge of booking Honda City AT, but my heart stopped me at last second as my bro never liked the car. So I called up for Micra after TD one of the cars through my friends contact (Nisaan opening in Nagpur shortly) and they said it can be delivered by 10th Feb in my choice of color. So I have booked that one as well without canceling my Vento. Now basically there is race between Vento and Micra. Whichever comes first will be my next car. I don't know if this is the right move, but thats what I have done.
My garage in December looked like
Toyota Corolla
Hyundai Accent
Hyundai Santro

Now
Toyota Corolla
Honda Jazz

We are desperate for third car as its becoming difficult for us to manage with two.

Any advice?
iIncepted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 09:04   #35
BHPian

The Micra diesel is a poor VFM preposition... doesnt come with any safety kits.

Barring the looks you can pick up a Logan for that money and same motor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iIncepted View Post
After long thought and bit of research, I decided to get a small car for 1-2 years and change when I seriously would like a new sedan. I thought Micra Diesel XV would be a good option. I had mentioned once that I believe a sedan should be replaced by a sedan only, but going against my own rule I am not liking any other sedans currently in the market except Vento (in that budget), period. I was on verge of booking Honda City AT, but my heart stopped me at last second as my bro never liked the car. So I called up for Micra after TD one of the cars through my friends contact (Nisaan opening in Nagpur shortly) and they said it can be delivered by 10th Feb in my choice of color. So I have booked that one as well without canceling my Vento. Now basically there is race between Vento and Micra. Whichever comes first will be my next car. I don't know if this is the right move, but thats what I have done.
My garage in December looked like
Toyota Corolla
Hyundai Accent
Hyundai Santro

Now
Toyota Corolla
Honda Jazz

We are desperate for third car as its becoming difficult for us to manage with two.

Any advice?
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 13:46   #36
Team-BHP Support

Boss, after debating between Vento and Cruze, why are you going for a Micra diesel?!!

Like Airwind says, there is no ABS and I believe only one airbag on the diesel. You will be much better off with a petrol, which is actually a very nice car. C'mon if you can afford a Cruze the additional operating cost of a petrol over diesel Micra will be peanuts for you!
Old 28th January 2011, 14:10   #37
vcx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Boss, after debating between Vento and Cruze, why are you going for a Micra diesel?!!

Like Airwind says, there is no ABS and I believe only one airbag on the diesel. You will be much better off with a petrol, which is actually a very nice car. C'mon if you can afford a Cruze the additional operating cost of a petrol over diesel Micra will be peanuts for you!

This is an intresting thread talking of Vento, Cruze and Micra...

My vote for city driving - Vento

Better quality of fit and finish -Vento

Ages well with the time -Vento

Only the factor of owning next segment car from the choice -Cruze( no means a better car than Vento by engine atleast)

All the gizmos-Cruze(LTZ)

VW India hope you guys are listening... wake up, live up and make the customers passionate too about your cars.
vcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 18:27   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Micra diesel is poor value for money, but it's a heck of a city hatch. Zero turbo-lag (the new benchmark), good quality interiors, decent ride and very light / nippy to drive. Your Mom will love it!

I've bashed Nissan a lot for removing the ABS from the diesel and yes, it is priced 75K more than the Swift diesel. But which car doesn't have negatives? If it fits the needs of the buyer, and he likes the car....well, that's all that matters.

iIncepted : You owe us a detailed ownership report, ok? Cheers.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 11:35   #39

Hi everyone again,

Well there is some good news. The Vento has finally arrived in the showroom. I have asked them to hold it till thursday as I am not free to go down and check it before that. So it looks like I will finally get the car I was waiting for since 5+ months. Still haven't cancelled Micra's booking and will only do it after I get the Vento keys in my hand. As my model is trendline, I will be visiting the appropriate section soon asking for some add-ons.

Thank You everyone for your help. Will surely post initial review once I get my hands on the car.
iIncepted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 14:08   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi everyone again,

Well there is some good news. The Vento has finally arrived in the showroom. I have asked them to hold it till thursday as I am not free to go down and check it before that. So it looks like I will finally get the car I was waiting for since 5+ months. Still haven't cancelled Micra's booking and will only do it after I get the Vento keys in my hand. As my model is trendline, I will be visiting the appropriate section soon asking for some add-ons.

Thank You everyone for your help. Will surely post initial review once I get my hands on the car.
Welcome to Club Vento! Ironically I think I was rooting for the Cruze LTZ AT in this case But the Vento Tdi is an awesome car- enough's been said about it- you will love it for sure.

Awaiting your ownership review eagerly.
Old 1st February 2011, 15:44   #41
vcx
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone again,

Congrats, certainly a good car.

Trendline has good scope to pimp it right from HU( offered by VW folks), getting door handles , ORVM in body color done, spoiler, seating, side step, Fog lamp set up( not sure how deep will this burn your pocket from VW).

All the best
vcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 15:48   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
come on which diesel car does not have it
The new TDI engines from VW does not have a lag of such proportions. In fact the AT of Laura will drive so smooth that one may not realise going at over 80KMPH in city traffic sometimes.

Even while starting from stand still, the car moves so smooth that it just feels like a lag. A look at the speedometer tells a different story where the Car is already moving over 30KMPH.

Quote:
The Vento has finally arrived in the showroom. I have asked them to hold it till thursday as I am not free to go down and check it before that
Congrats on the buy. Ask them to complete the registration formality as well as number plate painting in the mean time. Complete the Insurance requirement and start printing the PDI list. Ensure you check every part of the car and make the sales person explain in detail about the car again. Its your car and you ensure,demand and get the treatment you deserve.

Last edited by VW2010 : 8th February 2011 at 15:59.
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 21:59   #43
Senior - BHPian

A great drama with a perfect ending.
But 1 thing I would like to ask how did Micra come in the picture?
Even Figo diesel would seem a better proposal.
Contrary to what GTO says I believe there is no point going for this car. It is not a great handler. Neither it is equipped with ABS. So safety is a huge thumbs down.
It may have space but the seats provide no support. Specially the rear one's. So it ain't comfy either. Looks subjective so better left out. And with uninspiring handling it isnt fun to drive either. Service and resale is a huge (?).
Yes drivability is good and light controls are a delight in city. But going bu these yeardsticks Figo isn't lagging by much.
And to add to the final insult it is horribly overpriced. Why would you want such a car!

Any way its good that you are back to square 1. Congrats on your Vento.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote