Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 3rd January 2006, 18:14   #1
BHPian

Question What Diesel Sedan at 8L - 12L bracket?

Hi guyz.. Help me with your advice to choose a diesel sedan for my friend in Coimbatore.. He is not intrested with Lancer (doesnt like it) and Accent CRDi as it is too common..

1. Should be Diesel Sedan (Indigo, Accent and Lancer ruled out.. what is the rumour about lancer replacement.. some new car Mitshubishi is coming with.. any idea about that?? plz help)

2. Budget 8-12L might not be able to stretch too further..

3. Good FE (around 15 and above)

4. Low on maintanence and spares cost

Also advice if you believe any other good diesel car is going to be launched in the next six months in that budget.

Currently I told the following falls in his bracket and criteria.. Fiesta TDCi, Elantra CRDi, Skoda 1.9 TDI.. I am suggesting to take Laura (14L ?) if he decides on Octy as Laura is an octy with rectified errors and wider..

He is also worried about Ford Maintanence costs as he is hearing lot of horror stories.. Is it true? Is Ford that bad with maintanence and spares cost? this will influene Fiesta TDCi decision.

Has no BHPians had got their Fiesta TDCi delivered.. I am eagerly waiting for 1000kms report.. guys please post your experience with Fiesta TDCi.

I am an regular reader here for 1.5 years now..but not many posts across my name.. had become an expert in suggesting cars with this knowledge... Help me gurus..

Thanks for your help in advance..

Last edited by shan_jp : 3rd January 2006 at 18:18. Reason: some html tags were appearing initial post.. some goof up by the text editor
shan_jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2006, 18:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

If Ford TDCi is a problem, then the next best option is the Elantra CRDi.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2006, 18:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_jp

2. Budget 8-12L might not be able to stretch too further..

3. Good FE (around 15 and above)

4. Low on maintanence and spares cost

Currently I told the following falls in his bracket and criteria.. Fiesta TDCi, Elantra CRDi, Skoda 1.9 TDI.. I am suggesting to take Laura (14L ?) if he decides on Octy as Laura is an octy with rectified errors and wider..

He is also worried about Ford Maintanence costs as he is hearing lot of horror stories.. Is it true? Is Ford that bad with maintanence and spares cost? this will influene Fiesta TDCi decision.

Answers point wise -

2) The Ford Fiesta , The Hyundai Elantra and the Skoda Octavia (Ambiente,Elegance and even Rider ) fall in that range. the Laura is over budget.

3) FE - I think the Octavia is just better than the elantra and the fiesta here.

4) Maintenence - The Elantra shud be the best option on this parameter. the octy is expensive and the Ford should be expensive as it is a new car ( I may be completely wrong)

So looking at things - i would say go for the Hyundai Elantra. will be cheaper than the octy to buy and maintain as well. Its loaded with goodies and Hyundai service is better , much better than Skoda .
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 02:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

best overall Elantra crdi and octavia TDi

best for the budget ford fiesta

the most silent diesel -lancer
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 05:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

From your requirements, Hyundai Elantra CRDi seems the right choice. However, do take a serious and very good look at the Ford Fiesta. If you have time on your side, wait for a few months and see the reports on the Fiesta before deciding. My list:
1. Hyundai Elantra CRdi
2. Skoda Octavia TDi
3. Ford Fiesta TDCi.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 08:59   #6
BHPian

first thing, u can forget any sedan in india giving 15kmpl in city with ac on!
secondly, as amit pointed out, those three are your "ONLY" choice.

out of those again, i would recomment the Elantra coz its lot better than the Fiesta and cheaper than the Octavia. Octavia Rider Diesel onroad price in HYD is around 12,50,000/- and the maintainence of Octavia's are very expensive! FORD is also quiet expensive when it comes to Maintainence.

Elantra spares will turn out cheaper than the Fiesta's! god knows what jerks FORD Appoints for its R&D!

Regarding the FE, Skoda will give u around 1 km more than Elantra, and is very good if u are going more on highways and stuff, while Elantra is good too, the Skoda feels a bit more tuff!

the new car from the Mitsubishi stable is the new version of the Lancer..the all new LANCER CEDIA. nice car, but dunno it they have launched diesel too, as of now, petrol is launched i think.

Regarding the LAURA, well its costing around 19,lk onroad in HYD. the showroom price is 16.83 lk.

Last edited by Insane Devil : 4th January 2006 at 09:04.
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 10:07   #7
BHPian

If you are willing to stretch your budget to 12L, go for the skoda I would say.

Drives and handles well , built like a tank and will last forever ....
Though quite expensive on the maintainence front, but well-worth the price.

Also heard that skoda are taking out some old stocks of the octi for a discount of upto 1 - 1.5 L, which brings the base version close to 10L ex-showroom in delhi - you might want to take a look at that.
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 10:39   #8
BHPian

Hyundai Elantra should be your choice.
Superb looks, great handling, known for its interiors and class and well, you will get superb maintenance too from the dealers.

Surya
Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 11:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Octaivia TDi... Agreed the spares are expensive but u wont be needing them much (for atleast 4-5 years) except for the consumables. My friends has an Octaivia that has done 1.5 Lakh kms and still the car isnt asking for any major overhaul or repair. Its built like a tank...
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 11:58   #10
BHPian

Octavia 1.9TDi if it fits within the budget else go for the Elantra CRDi.

More powerful engines and economical too and with many more features than the Fiesta
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 13:39   #11
BHPian

Hyundai elantra dude.. Its worth what u pay for!!
kphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 10:04   #12
BHPian

Can anyone tell me the following about Skoda and Elantra.. We might leave Fiesta out of consideration as not enough info is available and pretty new on road..

Onroad price and highway mileage of
1. Skoda Octavia Rider 1.9 TDi
2. Skoda Octavia Elegance 1.9TDi
3. Elantra CRDi
4. Difference in features between Rider and Elegance and is it worth paying the extra buck for Elegance

shan_jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 10:50   #13
Team-BHP Support

Skoda will cost you 12-14lakhs on road
Elantra will cost you 10L on road
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 10:59   #14
BHPian

We have a elentra crdi in the family. Loved it when I was inside the car. Cant say the same when I am out of it though

But I would say pick the elentra over the octavia. Its cheaper to buy and maintain too.

BTW if your friend rejected the accent crdi because it was too common, then he pbly shouldnt be looking at the diesel octy too In coimbatore / tirupur octavia tdis have become very common now.
Harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 11:40   #15
BHPian

Why not wait for the new 2006 Accent CRDI to be launched in a couple of months? It will fall in the same price range. I read that the new one will be named different so that both the existing Accent and the new one can be sold side-by-side.
pmbabu is offline   Reply With Quote