Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 20th April 2011, 06:46   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Looking for a new car - 15 lakh rupees OTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I am very happy with my 4 yrs of Laura ownership.
Experiences like yours make me move closer and closer to Laura . I absolutely agree on the quality of the car, there is none upto 20L which is better than Laura when it comes to driving pleasure or the general look and feel of the car.

My Baleno is approx 5.5 years old and last six months it has gone through decent repairs. Now that its running good i wish to keep it for next 3 years. One of the problems with Baleno is parts availability, if something goes wrong (Like last time driveshaft needed to be changed) it easily takes a week as parts are SGP (Suzuki Genuine Parts) rather than MGP (Maruti ...). The folks at the repair shop also say similar stories about Laura.

One more criterion that has popped up since i last wrote the requirements is Space. It so happend that we wanted to go to Bhopal for a relatives marriage and missed the Rajdhani (Courtsy Bangalore traffic) and were contemplating driving there by Car, but decided against it mostly because it would not be comfortable for 3 adults + 1 child and the luggage (Please bear in mind better halfs luggage quantity when going for marriage).

Hence now i am also considering Safari (Merlin), and Fortuner (Which is a big budget streatch)

Cheers
Old 20th April 2011, 06:53   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
hi,
currently i would suggest two cars, which i felt were vfm for the 15lac range and felt bang for the buck.

the top end Honda Civic 1.8v, pref automatic.
Yup Civis is also been considerd but the only thing that makes me uncomfortable with Civic is Ground clearance. Number wise its similar to my Baleno but practically its much much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
the top end chevy cruze lt/ltz.
I cant justify but i am somewhat of anti Diesel (esp when it comes to Cars, I am ok when its an SUV). and i am ok with Petrol cost as my running isnt much at all. In last 5.5 years my Baleno has done 50K, which is like 10K a year and less than 1K per month (approximately). Hence the savings from fuel difference wouldnt be much.
Old 20th April 2011, 07:44   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I cant justify but i am somewhat of anti Diesel (esp when it comes to Cars, I am ok when its an SUV). and i am ok with Petrol cost as my running isnt much at all. In last 5.5 years my Baleno has done 50K, which is like 10K a year and less than 1K per month (approximately). Hence the savings from fuel difference wouldnt be much.
If you are looking for Petrol, maybe you can wait for the new Jetta as well. But I have a feeling that you're getting more inclined towards an SUV. Not sure if the facelifted Captiva is due this year. That can be a consideration (with a stretched budget)
Old 20th April 2011, 08:24   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Not sure if the facelifted Captiva is due this year. That can be a consideration (with a stretched budget)
Captiva is like 22L OTR Bangalore, isnt that much cheaper than Fortuner which is 24L OTR Bangalore. Am i missing something?
Old 20th April 2011, 08:42   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Captiva is like 22L OTR Bangalore, isnt that much cheaper than Fortuner which is 24L OTR Bangalore. Am i missing something?
Yes, since you mentioned Fortuner in the previous post, I added Captiva as well
Old 20th April 2011, 09:03   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Yes, since you mentioned Fortuner in the previous post, I added Captiva as well
Hummm, as soon as the figure gets closer to 20 or above it, i get more tilted towards fortuner. Captiva gives me all 4 disc Brakes, gives 3 rows of seats but unfortunately no 4x4 (Only AT has it) and i am not a big AT fan. Did i miss something in captiva?
Old 20th April 2011, 09:14   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hummm, as soon as the figure gets closer to 20 or above it, i get more tilted towards fortuner. Captiva gives me all 4 disc Brakes, gives 3 rows of seats but unfortunately no 4x4 (Only AT has it) and i am not a big AT fan. Did i miss something in captiva?
Maybe I am wrong - I thought even the MT / Captiva Xtreme have Adaptive AWD. But it is definitely not a true off-roader like the Fortuner.
Anyway, with Captiva I guess it is better to wait for the facelift.
Old 23rd April 2011, 15:17   #53
BHPian

Default What Car in 15L Dilemma?

I currently drive a Tata Safari 4x2. Its been 50,000 wonderful kms in about 1.5 years in the monster and with my past experience with a Tata vehicle, I think it is a good time to replace it with a new car.

I had purchased the monster in Sept '09 for about 10.05L on road in Jaipur and I'm getting a wonderful deal for it at about 8.25L after driving it for 50k kms. Thats why I'm too tempted to sell it, because after about 10k kms, I might not even get 6L for it. I will also be trading in my 2004 Chevy Optra 1.6L after enjoying 95k kms without any troubles whatsoever.It pains even when I think about living without this car. The legroom, the refinement and the comfort in this car are unmatchable by any other car in this segment. I am getting a deal at 2.25L for the Optra. Hence, about 10.5L for both the cars.

Now, to the main confusion. I have fixed a budget of 15L for the new purchase.

Since there are only 2 people in my house, we need only 2 cars and I am retaining my Ford Ikon for city use and will be needing a Diesel car for Office and Inter-city trips. My total running in a month is about 3-4k kms, hence the obvious choice of a Diesel.

I have a couple of priorities in my new purchase :

1) Power - I am a spirited driver and wouldn't want to settle in with an Altis in any way.
2) Rear Seat Comfort - This is something where the Safari lacked. The front seats were awesome,but as soon as you sit in the rear for a 200+kms trip, you would regret the decision of getting a Safari. Hence, rear bench has to be comfortable.
3) Bells and Whistles - I love buttons and am a big time gadget freak. Thats why I love the cruze.
4) Reliability - I will be left with no spare car at home, hence the car shouldn't be visiting the A.S.S very often.
5) Safety - I am on the highway almost 25 days in a month and sometimes mishaps may happen.

Things I can live without :

1) I.C.E - I have a 5.1 setup in the safari which I will be taking out before selling it, hence I will be installing it in the new car.
2) I'm OK with an average of say 10-15 on diesel as I'm used to getting 10 in the safari.

Options (According to choice) :
1) Chevy Cruze : +ve - Best Gadgets and Power in this range. -ve - Cabin too cramped, Rear seat very uncomfortable

2) Skoda Laura : +ve - Comfort, Cabin Space. -ve : Skoda!

3) New H. Verna : +ve : Bells and Whistles, Outstanding Average, Friend owns an A.S.S here, Will be saving a lot of money! -ve: Hyundai doesnt really boast of a safe vehicle, smaller than say a laura for long highway drives with a lot of luggage.

4) Any other options?

I need the experts here to please help me choose a car as I don't want to trade in My most loved vehicle with a lemon.

Thanks
Tushar
tusharsethi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2011, 16:35   #54
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: What Car in 15L Dilemma?

I would strongly recommend you to go for Skoda Laura. This is the best diesel car in this price bracket IMO. There are many Laura owners here on team-bhp, read their ownership report to know more. Rear seating comfort is poor in Chevrolet Cruze and I will not suggest you Hyundai Verna as NDTV CNB show have posed doubts over the car's handling on highway. If you are riding in city only then it is a nice option at much less budget than you quoted. You may also consider the VW Vento and upcoming Ford Fiesta.

Since you are used to an SUV you may also consider Mahindra Scorpio or TATA Aria as well.
Old 23rd April 2011, 16:42   #55
BHPian

Hey bluevolt,

Thanks for your quick reply.

A cousin had a skoda laura until yesterday, but finally got rid of it after skoda gave a shocking 3L estimate for a dead turbocharger. He traded it in for a Skoda Yeti! Its like thinking out of the box but sticking to the wall!

I love the ride comfort of the laura but the Maintenance stories have kept me away from any skoda product. The verna has always had handling issues but the new shape is too good for a sub 10L car. Is there something we can do to the Cruze rear seats to make them more comfortable? Like getting padding put in and genuine leather upholstery?

Thanks
Old 23rd April 2011, 19:49   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Any reason why you aren't considering a Honda Civic (petrol?) or even a Tata Aria?
Old 23rd April 2011, 19:53   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Any reason why you aren't considering a Honda Civic (petrol?) or even a Tata Aria?
I dont feel that the civic is value for money and my monthly usage will be around 3-4k kms, hence, a petrol makes no sense with the current petrol price.
And after using 2 Tata Indica's and a Safari, I know spending 15L on a Tata vehicle is foolishness.
Old 23rd April 2011, 20:15   #58
BANNED

In today's world and especially in India, VFM is the name of the game and Cruze excels at that. Go for the cruze.

Though the Skoda is a better car but their A.S.S. will make you weep. Cost of spares and their attitude is not at all acceptable, My extended family owns 3 Skoda's & 1 Chevy, 2 superbs and a Laura and also a Chevy Cruze. The Cruze family is the most satisfied and i can vouch for that.
Old 23rd April 2011, 21:14   #59
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Looking for a new car - 15 lakh rupees

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusharsethi View Post
. Is there something we can do to the Cruze rear seats to make them more comfortable? Like getting padding put in and genuine leather upholstery?
It is not that rear space is very poor in Cruze. It is poor in comparison to what others have in same segment. Vento has also the same rear comfort issue and their servicing costs are also unknown. TD Chevrolet Cruze and you should be able to make your mind.

Quote:

A cousin had a skoda laura until yesterday, but finally got rid of it after skoda gave a shocking 3L estimate for a dead turbocharger. He traded it in for a Skoda Yeti! Its like thinking out of the box but sticking to the wall!
I love the ride comfort of the laura but the Maintenance stories have kept me away from any skoda product.
Yes this is the big problem which every Skoda customer is facing. My relative also had Skoda Laura (previous gen) and its AC conked off. Skoda people gave an estimate of 1.5 Lac for AC related components and repair. But the car is awesome, even my elder brother is planning to get this car but A.S.S is also putting his mind off.

Quote:
The verna has always had handling issues but the new shape is too good for a sub 10L car
Even Ford is launching their new Fiesta very soon. You may also consider this car.

PS - If you are comfortable with rear seating of Cruze then it is pure value for money car in this segment.
Old 23rd April 2011, 21:31   #60
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Power -
2) Rear Seat Comfort -
3) Bells and Whistles -
4) Reliability -
5) Safety -

4) Any other options?
Considering that you need a diesel and all of the above mentioned points, did you consider VW Jetta 2.0TDI. The comfortline trim has enough bells and whistles. It maybe just within your budget. The ride is good. Rear seat is pretty comfortable. And it is very high on safety (8 airbags) and reliability.

If you like the Laura and apprehensive about Skoda, the sister car Jetta maybe a wiser option.
Closed Thread