Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 29th September 2011, 19:05   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Looking for a new car - 15 lakh rupees

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Well, my advice would be to keep your eyes wide open irrespective of whether it is a Toyota or an M&M. You can PM Rhandle for his recent experiences with Toyota, in respect of his Fortuner
Sure, will keep eyes open, also i have gone through Rhandle thread and the problems he has faced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Does your requirements really warrant for an SUV? If not, a sedan like Altis Petrol will be a much better choice.
Well, today i dont need space the SUV will provide, but we are sure in 2 years time we would need more space. So if we buy a Sedan now we will have to look around buying an SUV in 2-4 years time when i decide to sell my Baleno. Alternatively we buy an SUV now and then buy another sedan in 3-4 years time. So both options are on table.

I am more tilting towards SUV as with Sedan i prefer petrol and the way we are being ripped off in petrol pricing is scaring me to certain degree. Also with current price differential my Break Even would be 30,000 Kms approx (Which would be 3 years).

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 29th September 2011 at 19:16.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:12   #92
Senior - BHPian

Sunday was another test drive scheduled, for Altis Diesel, actually the SA had been postponing it for last one week and finally called to confirm if i was ok to do it on a Sunday. Had nothing to do and hence decided to take the D4D for a spin. Just would like to add that i am not a D fan when it comes to Cars, i am ok if it is on a bigger vehicle like an SUV.

As we near the car from the outside it was easy to make out the Diesel clatter and sound, but once inside and doors closed, windows rolled up it was difficult to make out.

Started the car on the first gear, the pull was good and did not feel strained, moved to second and the pull continued. Took it on the Sarjapur road over my favorite speedbreakers and first up the under scraped, only slightly. There after pushed the car all the way to 100+ and never did it felt that there was lack of power. Was wondering why so much talk in the town about D motor in Altis having lack of pull. Till i came across another speedbreaker.

The AC all this while was working at low speeds and was an absolute chiller.

While going through the speed breakers i slow down, change to 2nd and let the car roll over the hump, and then press the accelerator again to pull, What no pull, floored the accelerator, still no pull.

Aaha so this is where it tells you clearly that "I am Diesel".

So for about 10 seconds there was no pull, until the car gained some speed, and the rev crossed 2K and then there was enough pull. The work around for this was to do the speed breakers passing on 1st gear (Which i don't usually do as i use the 1st only while starting the car from Stand still). In these 10 seconds all the smaller cars will pass you until you gather enough momentum again to catch them.

Wife drives the car next was quickly un-impressed with the D under the hood. So we are back to square one .
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:19   #93
Senior - BHPian

Sorry if you've already covered this already but have you tried the Fluence Diesel? If not, any reason why?
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:35   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Sorry if you've already covered this already but have you tried the Fluence Diesel? If not, any reason why?
Need the next car to be a Highway cruiser as the Baleno is aging and does lack space as the family has grown and hence manufacturers which have thin After Sales support network are not being considered at the moment. Hence Renault is out.

The current shortlist are Altis D (Which LoH has not liked), or XUV500 (For which we probably have to stand in queue for TD), or stretch all the way to Fortuner (Which we both have liked).

LoH a word i first read in the TOGO channel
Old 4th October 2011, 09:53   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
The current shortlist are ... or XUV500 (For which we probably have to stand in queue for TD)
I was just about to pop in here and ask why not the XUV 500. Good to see it's on your shortlist. The Top end 4WD is just outside your budget, perhaps you could stretch for it?

As for the part in bold; I remember reading in that massive XUV500 thread that Mahindra is handling the rush superbly, much better than Honda and Maruti handled the rush for the Brio/Jazz and Swift according to those that have experienced it. More to the point, Mahindra is giving dedicated half an hour slots for TD'ing the car acc to that thread. There's no queue to wait in per se, only delay really is that it might take a couple of days for your number to come.

Do let us know what becomes of your interest in the XUV500. Personally, it is a car that fascinates me greatly.
Old 8th October 2011, 08:07   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I was just about to pop in here and ask why not the XUV 500. Good to see it's on your shortlist. The Top end 4WD is just outside your budget, perhaps you could stretch for it?
Still no TD of XUV5oo, called up the sales guy who spoke to me and took down details and promised a TD slot within a week his response was will schedule and call back. Still waiting for the call.

Also the delivery time for XUV5oo seems like 2-3 months, may be sooner. Awaiting the TD of Team BHP and then will decide. Worried that some folks found braking to be not very good
Old 8th October 2011, 15:24   #97
BHPian

There is a Mela at Mahindra showrooms man, thats why they cant bring the vehicle outside for TD. If you are willing to drop in to the showroom, you can get a TD. Just call the sales guy before leaving and tell him to block it for you. I am planning to do it today.
Old 8th October 2011, 17:42   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
There is a Mela at Mahindra showrooms man, thats why they cant bring the vehicle outside for TD. If you are willing to drop in to the showroom, you can get a TD. Just call the sales guy before leaving and tell him to block it for you. I am planning to do it today.
I dont want him to come to my home, I was told he would give me a slot so as i can visit the showroom and take a TD. I know for newly launched cars they do not give TD at home.

Also just got price change details from Ravindu, Fortuner price has gone up by around 40K. This is not good, in these times when others are busy doling out discounts/freebies Toyota has gone ahead and increased prices on all its cars/SUV/MUV.
Old 8th October 2011, 20:01   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806

I dont want him to come to my home, I was told he would give me a slot so as i can visit the showroom and take a TD. I know for newly launched cars they do not give TD at home.

Also just got price change details from Ravindu, Fortuner price has gone up by around 40K. This is not good, in these times when others are busy doling out discounts/freebies Toyota has gone ahead and increased prices on all its cars/SUV/MUV.
Just call and tell him an hour in advance and he should be able to give you a slot. I did just this and returned after a short TD from India Garage Palace Cross. Too much traffic though, have told him to block a slot for me tommorrow morning so that I can check it out on empty roads.
Old 14th October 2011, 11:26   #100
Senior - BHPian

Did a very small TD for a few Kms, will wait for sometime till the crowd gets little thin to take a proper TD. What i prefer is TD near Sarjapur area, has good Speed Breakers, long empty roads on weekends to test speed. Looks like will have to wait for a month to get a TD at home.

In general the car felt nice, with areas others have highlighted on concerns, possibly because it being a new car. As such the bookings are closed for now and by the time they open again Tata Merlin may also be launched.

In general i dont buy a newly launched car and at least wait for a few months for more user reviews to appear, in this case it seems i have to make an exception if i want the car soon. The team BHP review talks about rattles which is also a cause of concern for me. Still holding on my purchase decision (Although would like to close it asap) but i think its wiser to wait for sometime.
Old 14th October 2011, 20:17   #101
BHPian

Default Another one - Looking for a new car - 13 to 15 lakh rupees

This is a great thread, and as I am in a similar situation, let me use this thread to post my question.

Current Car: 2007 Mahindra Logan, DLX. (Diesel)

I am one of “those guys” who bought the Mahindra Logan, purely on “engineering” grounds.

I have been very happy with this car despite the many ergonomic niggles. Over the last 3 years, and 30,000 kms, it has never failed on me. Not even a single instance of a breakdown despite taking it through some really bad roads in Bangalore and long distance drives through even worse roads.

I am looking at a change largely due to the “image” – and my need to own a more safer and feel good car. On a side note – I am really upset by Mahindra for messing up this wonderful car in terms of positioning and marketing – and now shamelessly re-launching the same as Verito with some silly cosmetic changes. Upset to the extent that I am going to consider XUV500!

My Needs from a new car

Expected Usage: Around 8,000 Km per year. 4000 in the city – not regular office commute (I walk to work). Two to three drives to Chennai. Two to three drives to Kerala. And hopefully some long distance drives to places afround Bangalore such as Coorg. Will be fully self-driven. No chauffer. Wifey does not drive. Kids too young to drive.

Time horizon: I have given myself around 3 to 4 months max from this month (Oct 2011). If there is a great Diwali / festival deal, then I may buy immediately. Else may push this to Jan 2012.

Things I am looking for – listed with importance weightage on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 least important, 10 most important)

1. Drivability, Engine Performance and refinement: 10/10: Car should be easy and fun to drive. Solid steering with good feedback. Light clutch (Logans was a pain). Easy city driveability. I hate frequent downshifting.( Logan had good amount of low end torque and city driving was actually easy but for the clutch.)

2. Safety: 10/10: Air bags – are must. Also ABS.

3. Comfort 9/10: Logan was really good on bad roads. I want atleast a similar level of comfort. Comfort to me is not leather seats and fancy plastics. It is the engineering that goes into the suspension and chassis construction, sound damping etc.

4. Fit and finish 8/10: Don’t like panel gaps, bad quality plastics. Hate sloppy engineering.

5. Brand Image 8/10: Have to be honest here. I want the car to have a premium image and the manufacturer to have “heritage”. The main reason I like the European cars.

6. Space: 7/10: Backseat should ideally be good for 3.

7. After sales services 7/10: A wider service network is something I feel is important once we go on long distance drives. At least good on road assistance if service network is poor.

8. External Aesthetics: 7/10: Car should look good (and today most cars do – except the Dzire, Logan, Ritz, my opinion)

9. Cabin comfort equipment 6/10: Seats should be good, with adequate support. Like things like the driver arm rest. Cooled gove boxes, place to keep your binoculars and Swiss Army knife etc. – are less important.

10. Raw Power and Speed: 5/10: Honestly, I don’t care for brute power and acceleration.

Note: As my running is limited to <10,000 km / year – I am looking at a petrol car only. I hate VW for not launching the new Jetta in petrol.

Budget: < Rs 16 lakhs

Current Consideration Set in the order of preference

Corolla Altis (test drive done) (am getting a price of Rs 15.4 on road for 1.8 G)
Likes: Looks, Backseat space, Backseat comfort, Equipment, Toyota reliability and low TCO
Dislikes: Not a European Car!, Driveability and engine performance not as good as the Laura. I felt the low-end torque is not enough (I know this sounds strange – but after driving diesel cars for ever – I have always felt this in petrols)

I would really like an expert opinion here on the new Altis as I see very few reviews of the new Altis in TBHP!. Has the engine revamp really addressed the "boring" nature of Altis. I did not feel so - but I test drove this within 2 hours of completing the Laura TSI test drive. I was still in a daze i guess !.

Skoda Laura (test drive done) (am getting a price of Rs 14.4 on road for Classic, and 15.6 for Ambiente, this i feel would come down with the latest discounts announced this week)
Likes: Driveability and engine (WOW), Great low end torque, great to drive, great acceleration, steering response is super; Equipment
Dislikes: Back seat comfort (over bad roads) little disappointing (Logan is better), Backseat space is poor; Too many Lauras in Bangalore !! ; and have to say this – the Skoda service / TCO horror stories.

Renault Fluence (test drive not done)
Dislikes: Petrol only available in the high-end version - weird logic!. And this seems like a failed car already. I took a chance with Logan and do not feel like giving Renault another chance.

Honda Civic (test drive not done)
Likes: Looks – the best in this class to me, Hondas are fun to drive, equipment. Steering.
Dislikes: Not a European Car!, Ground clearance
(will be test driving thses soon)

Sorry for the long post. Looking for your advise and suggestions.
Old 15th October 2011, 07:37   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Another one - Looking for a new car - 13 to 15 lakh rupees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajith-s View Post
Upset to the extent that I am going to consider XUV500!
You meant "not" right?

Quote:
3. Comfort 9/10:
4. Fit and finish 8/10: Don’t like panel gaps, bad quality plastics. Hate sloppy engineering.
5. Brand Image 8/10:
6. Space: 7/10: Backseat should ideally be good for 3.
7. After sales services 7/10: A wider service network is something I feel is important once we go on long distance drives.

9. Cabin comfort equipment 6/10: Seats should be good, with adequate support. Like things like the driver arm rest.
10. Raw Power and Speed: 5/10:

Well in Petrol cars there are only 2 options in the C+ segment, Altis and Laura.Civic is due for a change and anyways you never know when Honda might decide to cut prices on it just like the City and Jazz. I will stay away from it.
From your requirements I feel Altis fits it the best. Its comfortable, reliable, back seat is segments best, excellent fit and finish, no unnecessary gadgetry, excellent after sales and not very high on raw power and speed.

Otherwise also consider the Cruze even though its diesel, the pricing is similar to the Altis. But back seat is cramped according to me.

I would never recommend Skoda, Period. Go for it if you are willing to deal with there after sales.

If you wanna climb down a segment then even Honda city with all its discounts looks like a very good deal.

Happy hunting.

Last edited by drmohitg : 15th October 2011 at 07:40.
Old 15th October 2011, 10:25   #103
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Another one - Looking for a new car - 13 to 15 lakh rupees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajith-s View Post
1. Drivability, Engine Performance and refinement: 10/10:

2. Safety: 10/10: Air bags – are must. Also ABS.

3. Comfort 9/10: Logan was really good on bad roads.

4. Fit and finish 8/10: Don’t like panel gaps, bad quality plastics.

5. Brand Image 8/10:

6. Space: 7/10: Backseat Comfort

7. After sales services 7/10:
8. External Aesthetics: 7/10:
9. Cabin comfort equipment 6/10:
10. Raw Power and Speed: 5/10

Current Consideration Set in the order of preference

Corolla Altis (test drive done) (am getting a price of Rs 15.4 on road for 1.8 G)
Skoda Laura (test drive done)
Renault Fluence (test drive not done)
Honda Civic (test drive not done)
For the requirements i would also recommend an Altis, although it is not as fun to drive as the Laura or Civic but is not as boring as it was earlier. Next is Civic but there are two problems, new one is around the corner and the low GC. Although its not a big problem if driven with care.

Skoda i would stay away as the TCO is higher.

If you dont mind waiting (as i am, for a bigger and better car) then its worth it. XUV 5OO has changed the dynamics of the situation as i can now dream of a bigger full features spec car at Altis price.
Old 15th October 2011, 11:04   #104
Senior - BHPian

Skoda has some decent schemes running now, like the Skoda Shield (2 yrs extended warranty + one year of free insurance), and a 3 yr/15,000 km preventive maintenance package (PMP). The PMP covers consumables, labour and regular service replacement parts (filters etc) and is worth about 35-40k. All this is free with the Laura TSI.
Skoda a.s.s has actually gone up a notch from the horror stories we have heard. Suggest you PM current Skoda owners to get a first hand update on the same. We have a Superb in Kolkata, and haven't faced any issues with respect to a.s.s per se.
I have recently test driven all the cars in the C and D segment (let's say I am also looking!), and honestly, nothing came close to a Laura in terms of driving pleasure
razor4077 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 11:13   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Skoda has some decent schemes running now, like the Skoda Shield (2 yrs extended warranty + one year of free insurance), and a 3 yr/15,000 km preventive maintenance package (PMP).
Thanks for the clarification, but i guess this is something of a comfort factor and personal preferences also involved here, and my concerns may not be fully justified as well.

I have been spoilt by reasonable trouble free ownership of a Jap car and somehow in the back of my mind expect the same from my next purchase. There was a thread about Laura (from androdev) meeting an accident and repairs quoted were close to 7L (Which is scary), although it was seemingly not huge amount of repairs. A similar situation in another Jap car would possibly have costed half as much.

Skoda/VW no doubt make wonderful cars, i also fell in love with the kind of drive the Laura provides and if not for the reasons stated above would have been running Laura by now. I would like to own my cars for 7-9 years (90K - 100K Kms) and it is this area i am not very comfortable with a Skoda as would it be reasonably cheap to maintain for this long ownership duration.
Closed Thread