Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 19th March 2011, 09:49   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Etios or Tata Manza?

People talk a lot about Tata reliability and longevity. Somehow I feel a little odd about this. Because of one simple reason: popularity of Tata in the taxi circle.

I have a taxi operator, right beside my home here, who operates a lot of Indicas, Indigo CSs and Innovas. And unusually, for my state at least, actually owns all of them. He just loves his Tatas, a lot more than his Innovas.

All he does is take care of all his cars, and sticks to the dealer service network as far as possible. Many of his Indicas have actually breached the 4lakh km mark and are still going strong. Other than a few minor niggles, a few loose belts on a few of them they are just in superb condition.

He says, he almost always has more trouble with his old Innovas than his old Tatas. Also, his biggest problem is he hates having to send his Innovas on long outstation trips, because he will get stuck in the middle of nowhere hundreds of kms from Toyota service, while Tata service is nearby all the time.

Once he told me, if people would actually not ask for an Innova specifically, he wouldn't buy it. He would prefer a Xylo, but people always ask for an Innova.
Old 19th March 2011, 10:02   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Perception takes a long time to change. Tata reliability has improved a lot over the years. Early, Indica's had many issues. The mindset will change gradually. By all accounts the QC is still not at the Toyota/Honda level. Also we still have the colonial mindset of running down anything desi.
Old 19th March 2011, 10:47   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
While the Manza has all the bells & whistles & the Etios looks bare, the strength of Toyota engineering is enough to keep you at peace !

Most of the TATA products lack finesse & build quality, with several minor niggles.

Years from now when you consider the peace of mind, build quality & reliability, you will not regret your decision of buying a Toyota vehicle !
I earlier owned an Indigo Marina and now am driving a Fiat Lunea. I had test driven both Manza nad Etios. My personal view is Etios interiors is very plain, upholstery and plastics of Etios look cheap and lack refinement. The dash and instruments is nothing to talk about. The power steering is electrical and not hydraulic. When put to hard turn, we felt as if we will be thrown out of the car. Only good thing about it was a very good AC. Manza is a better car anytime.
I think it is high time we started appreciating home grown cars for their merit and just not go by badges.
Old 20th March 2011, 08:56   #64
BHPian

Hello Folks,
I have used a TATA car for about 8 years now, and as some distinguished people have already spoken, TATA as a company has come a really long way, I do understand they still have issues when it comes to service but the products are far better,
When i compare both the cars as an "Indian", TATA Manza wins hands down because of its value offering for the price it demands, When you see Etios you can clearly understand the compromise in finish being done for cutting the costs (not fair)
Even a common man like me can think of buying an ELAN which is a decent VFM offering
So my vote is +1 for TATA Manza
Old 20th March 2011, 09:12   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
People talk a lot about Tata reliability and longevity. Somehow I feel a little odd about this. Because of one simple reason: popularity of Tata in the taxi circle.
Does not make Tata the paragon of reliability but that there are simply no other options at that price point.
Old 20th March 2011, 11:10   #66
BHPian

@gautam109

Every decision eventually gets decided by at best a couple of core considerations if not one, which forms the core/crux of the issue.

For me the modus operandi generally is to bring it down to a least common denominator which is of a tangible nature i.e. generally a rupee.

What is the core issue you wish to address when you opened this thread? Is it an intangible or a tangible?

If it is TATA A.S.S. reliability, you can only go by actual owners experiences. Other than actual owners rest is all either hearsay or opinions, which are a dime a dozen as the saying goes. This to my mind should be quantifiable by looking at downtime and cost incurred in rectifying A.S.S. mistakes.

If it is the trade off between the Etios FTD and and Manza VFM - this on the face of it is subjective. I would try to find out (a) how many enhancements are possible to bring Etios interior to Manza levels with out impacting warranty and (b) cost of such aftermarket upgrades. Once you have conducted this exercise you can do a comparison which seemed entirely subjective much less subjective.

It will be quite enlightening to see which way you go and the justifications in your mind for the decision you make - should you chose to share them ofcourse.

Al the best with whatever choice you opt for.

Regards

RS
Old 20th March 2011, 13:15   #67
Senior - BHPian

After all is said and done, consider this- you need to 'live' with the Service for the next 5 years.
Toyota is well known for good service, Tata service has been historically poor. Even though some think Tata are improving, real question is that if their level of service (quality of fault diagnosis, workmanship, availability of spares and in general doing right by the customer) is sufficiently good for an enthusiast driver or the typical team-bhp profile. The answer my friend is a resounding No.
Old 20th March 2011, 13:36   #68
Senior - BHPian

the manza is quite a product from tata. and tata has done well to improve on their bread and butter models.

but somehow in the company of a toyota, i would end up putting my money down on the etios. its a fantastic car, and tailor made to suit Indian needs.

A.S.S wise, i think toyota would end up scoring better than tata overall.
i am not sure about the manza, but the etios if like any of the other Toyota's are to go by, would be very easy on the pocket to maintain.

My choice ~ Toyota Etios
Old 20th March 2011, 16:45   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
After all is said and done, consider this- you need to 'live' with the Service for the next 5 years.
Toyota is well known for good service, Tata service has been team-bhp profile. The answer my friend is a resounding No.

The resounding no is based on actual experience as a customer?

Please let me clarify here, I am not a Tata fan or a Toyota hater.

My submission is that service quality descriptions at any given point in time are most credible when given by customers of the relevant company/brand.

The rest, in the words of a very "suljha huaa bazurg(bazurg=elder)" - for want of a better description, are essentially Rai Bahadurs offering their rais(opinions) without anything to back them up.

With the sincerest of apologies and expression of my deep respect for those whose sensibilities I may have offended.

Best Regards

RS
Old 20th March 2011, 17:06   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
The resounding no is based on actual experience as a customer?
Yes my friend. I am a convert away from Tata.
In my experience of Service from mass market auto companies : Maruti, Hyundai and Tata - Tata has always been a distant third.
My experience with the Tata dealerships has been nothing short of pathetically bad.

Not to mention - I used to be a Tata Motors employee long ago at their plant.
Old 20th March 2011, 18:51   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
To me, if its petrol, it should be the Etios and since there's no diesel Etios as yet, no comparison on that front!!!

People, before supporting for a Tata product please keep these things in mind :-

1) Toyota has always created 'super hits' in India or rather all over the world. Can you tell me ONE Tata vehicle that's really a class apart like the Innova, Qualis etc?

2) I believe any car will take 2-3 yrs onroad in India to really 'prove' itself. So that point even the Manza doesn't qualify as a proven car (the way people are supporting the 'improvement' made by Tata in the car and wrt Service).
NOTE: All brands of cars hold good for first 2-3 yrs, its after that the real game begins. so wait before for few yrs before the 'final' statement on Manza's durability and reliability AND the T.A.S.S.

3) I have a couple of my petrol Manza friends talking about lack of power during 'overtaking' in Manza esp while doing those huge trailers. Thats something to note. Engine seems to be far better in Etios.

4) Ask yourself, why is Tata offering so many goodies (and a car like Dzire isn't). Tata is trying to promote Manza like anything (godo for the competition though). Manza 'may' be good, but its your hard earned money, don't take a 'lottery' paying 5 lakhs!

My advice is, since Toyota things are mostly safe bets, wait for a few more months to get the semi review from real customers and just 'confirm' the Toyota 'class' yet again in Etios!!! Or as many have done, trust the brand 'Toyota'. GO FOR THE ETIOS.

"When both cars are relatively new, bet on the Brand"
Toyota does make relaible cars and its cars have been hits. However, so far it has been operating in niche markets. Etios is a volume product and will face true competition from the likes of MSIL & TM. Tata has improves tremendously over the last 10 years. I owned and drove an Indica for close to 7 years and a lakh km. I hardly spent any money on maintaining the car except for oil and filters and managed to get Rs 1.05 L when I sold it.

Tata comes with a Taxi tag but hey, the Taxi Wallas depend on the car for their bread and butter. It simply is not a bad car.

Manza is much better product and the Diesel is a no brainer.
Old 20th March 2011, 20:15   #72
BHPian

I think it is too early to pick one car over the other based on the manufacturer's A.S.S. Tata A.S.S may not be good, but there is no guarantee that Toyota A.S.S would be better. Toyota service may have been good so far, but there were servicing lesser number of vehicles. With Etios and Liva, their monthly sales numbers could go up 2X or 3X and we need to wait and see if service levels remain good!
Old 20th March 2011, 22:32   #73
BHPian

I was in the same dilemma as you were Manza Vs Etios. Then i went for Manza ABS Dew white petrol due to the features it provides and the unmatched comfort. Really happy with the decision taken.
Old 21st March 2011, 13:42   #74
Senior - BHPian

TATA has grown by leaps and bounds over the years and will surely emerge as a formidable force. The small niggles can be found on any car for that matter. Even global leaders do a recall so cant really say that all car makers apart from our indian ones are really great. I think the Manza is total VFM product and will serve you for a long time. Etios on the other hand i feel is joke on us. Giving us a stripped off car which has nothing apart from a good engine. The overall product i would say is not so catchy for us.
Old 21st March 2011, 14:49   #75
Senior - BHPian

Go for Indigo Manza Diesel. No doubt about that. You can save loads of money over the period of 3-4 years. Now a days it is becoming heavy on pocket to do a tank full with Petrol as petrol prices are going up & up.

Also Manza has loads of features for sure. When i saw Manza for the first time, i just said "Why not it launched before i bought my Dzire". Manza Elan is a step forward & its interiors looks real class. Go for it man ...
Closed Thread