Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 16th January 2006, 19:38   #16
BHPian

I think for Twisty Mountain roads, out of the NHC and Fiesta , the Fiesta will definately be more better in handling and all. the Fiesta has a more sedan kinda shape, while the NHC is like a Hatch Sedan.
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2006, 23:44   #17
BHPian

I don't even think it's appropriate to compare a Fiesta 1.6 with the NHC Idsi. THe 1.4 comparison with the Idsi would be more apt.Even then the 1.4 is significantly more peppier than the NHC Idsi.

The only thing that the NHC idsi does better is the FE.
If you like driving then obviously you cannot consider the Idsi. If you want to go for a Honda only- then the NHC Vtec could fit the bill, obviously if you can afford it.

As far as the Fiesta goes it rides much better than the NHC and while not a scorching handler like the Ikon : still does a better job than the NHC.

And one more thing the Fiesta 1.6 is not slow. It does not feel as quick as maybe a Baleno or the OHC. But it's still sufficiently quick(I have driven it on a test drive).Let's see some official timings for that. I would love to race my Baleno against the 1.6 Fiesta.

Quote:
I wasn't too impressed with Fiesta's performance or handling - both 1.4 and 1.6. If anything, the 1.4 is better bang for your buck, because you're thinking, "oh, its ok cause its a 1.4." No such excuse for the 1.6. The car is pathetically slow. If you liked your Baleno's pep, the Fiesta will bore the hell of of you
The 1.6 is miles quicker than the NHC idsi. While it might not match the Baleno - it's not pathetically slow by any means ( Are you sure you got a proper test vehicle?).
Handling is surely better than both the NHC Idsi nd the NHC Vtec. And it's got excellent brakes to go with the handling( something that was sorely missing in the Ikon).
Ride quality of the Fiesta is impressive and european like in nature.

Last edited by imjimmy : 16th January 2006 at 23:49.
imjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2006, 00:27   #18
BHPian

My choice would be the City anyday.... better FE, better interiors, better space, better resale value and Honda badge. Fiesta needs to prove itself before you can say anything. Honda is much more reliable than Ford.

But if you are looking for mainly performance, there are other cheaper cars to look at than the Fiesta... like Lancer, Baleno....

One thing is for sure... you need to define what you are looking for... and yes... get in the car, test drive the same and you will know what you like!!!
Sumed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2006, 05:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

it would be nice if you can consider the petra/palio adventure now that tata has taken over.

It's a nice piece of engineering. All doubts of Fuel Efficiency are false. The best bet would be to take a fuel efficiency test for yourself.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2006, 11:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

I dont know about the NHC Vtec's handling, but the idsi didnt inspire much confidence beyond 120 even on the straights. Like so many people have said this before, City is at its best in a city. For twisties etc, i dont know what car is best but i am sure most car will handle better than NHC.

Puff, i vaguely remember u having some trouble with baleno after you upgraded the rubber. I guess now u would prefer to go for a car that comes factory fitted with good rubber?

Cheers
Amitoj
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2006, 12:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
Suman, read properly before you write.

I said neither of the two cars is suited for a twisty mountain road. I suggested City because of Ford's bad After Sales Service, not because it's a better handler.

Also, try not to be rude. It reflects badly on your upbringing.
Boom Shiva, there will always be people with an opinion different from yours, I'm not sure if that translates into being rude and having a poor upbringing. It wasn't my intention to be in any way rude (sorry if it sounded as such), I was just stating my opinion and I reiterate - I think (at this point in time it is just a thought, will confirm this once I've done the trail) the Fiesta will be suited to and have better handling than the City on mountain roads given its roots (the Ikon is way ahead of the NHC on road holding etc). Again, this is my opinion.

As far as after sales service is concerned, I know people who have had bad experiences with Honda (car was two weeks old) in terms of warranty repairs so I'm not sure if one can generalize about bad after sales service from Ford. Its been close to five years I've had my Ikon (done 125000 kms plus) and I must say I've never had a major problem with the dealer - I think that like a lot of other things, this depends on the relationship between the customer and the service provider.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2006, 12:17   #22
BANNED

Suman, I am very well aware that there will always be people with differing opinions and I welcome the fact. Otherwise life would be very boring.

However, I would appreciate it if you state your opinion without putting down mine. Asking me whether I've driven a City Vtec on mountain roads and doubting my road experience is rude, considering you don't even know me.

Anyways, we're all friends here, whatever you choose to drive. Cheers!
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2006, 12:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
Suman, I am very well aware that there will always be people with differing opinions and I welcome the fact. Otherwise life would be very boring.

However, I would appreciate it if you state your opinion without putting down mine. Asking me whether I've driven a City Vtec on mountain roads and doubting my road experience is rude, considering you don't even know me.

Anyways, we're all friends here, whatever you choose to drive. Cheers!
Woh, easy, no intentions whatsoever of putting your road experience down. Its all about a difference in opinion thats all. I mean your calling the Fiesta pathetically slow is not about putting down a Fiesta owner, its just your opinion! Sorry if it sounded that way, all I meant was that I'd be surprised if you'd actually taken a New Vtec down a mountain road and still thought it was a good handler. Anyway, cheers to you too!
Old 17th January 2006, 13:01   #24
BHPian

[SIZE=2]As already mentioned earlier dont compare fiesta 1.6 with City zxi. Its no match. You may compare with City Vtec but then please keep in mind the extra Rs1 lacs plus you have to shell out for Vtec. [/SIZE]
kashd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2006, 13:14   #25
BHPian

Default New VTEC on the mountain circuits ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Sorry if it sounded that way, all I meant was that I'd be surprised if you'd actually taken a New Vtec down a mountain road and still thought it was a good handler. Anyway, cheers to you too!
Have you actually driven a NHC VTEC or a Fiesta yourself down a mountain road yourself ??
Then could you please explain where your 'surprise' is based upon ....

As far as my driving experience on the new VTEC goes, it is a bit unsteady around the corners and tends to oversteer. However, as per the TOVA review at asia.vtec.net - these guys actually drove the NHC VTEC over the mountain circuit, and found it to be a good handler around steep corners, thanks to its stiffer suspension compared to its iDSI counterpart.

Here's the linky for that
http://asia.vtec.net/Reviews/VTECCityPrev/index.html

And I wonder where the difference with my car lies - have zeroed down on the tyres for now - def need 15 inchers ...
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2006, 13:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
Have you actually driven a NHC VTEC or a Fiesta yourself down a mountain road yourself ??

As far as my driving experience on the new VTEC goes, it is a bit unsteady around the corners and tends to oversteer. However, as per the TOVA review at asia.vtec.net - these guys actually drove the NHC VTEC over the mountain circuit, and found it to be a good handler around steep corners, thanks to its stiffer suspension compared to its iDSI counterpart.

And I wonder where the difference with my car lies - have zeroed down on the tyres for now - def need 15 inchers ...
As far as my "surprise" about the new Vtec, its based on reports on the car's overall handling in Overdrive & ACI. And on experiences shared on team-bhp about the stability of the NHC on highways. As far as Fiesta, please read my post, its my impression based on the car's lineage & ancestry. Will post my own experience with the Fiesta once I get delivery (hopefully in another 10 days), run it in for a few thousands kms and then take it up. I'm eagerly waiting for that experience and I have a feeling I may be a trifle disappointed when I compare it to my Ikon's handling on mountain roads but it will be an excellent drive overall.
Old 18th January 2006, 05:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra

NHC vtec is an excellent engine wasted in an average cab forward design meant only for the city driving.

the combo just about makes for an average buy which I wouldnt recommend at the price Honda is selling it.

Fiesta while certainly not as great handler as the young at heart IKon is pretty spot on with more mature thinking by engineers. Its still better than the NHC(OHC was miles ahead in this department)

while many may not prefer this option the lancer is an excellent highway cruiser. test drive the 1.8 on the highway for ride and handling
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2006, 09:48   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
while many may not prefer this option the lancer is an excellent highway cruiser. test drive the 1.8 on the highway for ride and handling
Agreed, with its lovely rally-car heritage, it could be an excellent choice for driving on twisty mountain roads & other rough terrain.

However, other factors may let it down, like mantainence, cost of spares. Though the lancer 1.5 may be a tad underpowered for uphill climbs - went to ranikhet on one, and it felt sluggish around corners with A/c on, my friends in the OHC were laughing when they saw us struggle.
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2006, 11:02   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
it would be nice if you can consider the petra/palio adventure now that tata has taken over.

It's a nice piece of engineering. All doubts of Fuel Efficiency are false. The best bet would be to take a fuel efficiency test for yourself.
I differ on the FE point but could'nt agree with you more on the other points. The alliance with Tata does turn things around a bit. I saw a couple of new Petra ELXs(one maroon and the other white) on the road y'day and could'nt help admiring them. They definitely look better than the Fiesta. Further, you could almost get 2 Petras for the price of a Vtec. And there is no "real world" performance difference. There is no better route than NH17 to test a cars handling abilities. A couple of years ago, I drove my S10 on NH17 and after that, despite all the frustration of dismal AS, could never get myself to give up the car. On that trip, I was dicing with a Lancer diesel and Octy diesel on the hill section after Mahad. Try as I might, I could'nt catch the Lancer. The Octy was no problem. Of course, the Lancer had two distinct advantages 1. only the driver who seemed to know the road on the back of his hand...must have been a regular on the route while I had my wife and child with me and was doing the route after 4 yrs 2. The Lancer had 195 section tyres while mine were 175. The only disadvantage he had was that the Lancer was diesel which would not make too much of a difference anyway as when driving in the hills, in-gear acceleration is what matters.
So here take my word for it..the Petra too will be a blast to drive. Put 185-195 section tyres, spruce up the interiors and she would be hard to beat.
Floyd de Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2006, 11:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

OFF TOPIC

Hi,

Just got my fiesta 1.4 TDCi last week. It's awesome. will post some pics soon. As soon as i come back from delhi. This baby has done around 1500+ KM. FE is around 21 - 22 in city without ac. Highway i have not noticed yet. Though there is 1 problem the tyres noise which i hate. Gonna get Michelin soon.

Also whoever thinks pickup of fiesta TDCi is same as NEW Indigo or Indica then just go test drive once again. There is a hell of difference in 2nd gear.

Thanks.

P.S. will post my review after 10k KM. Coz i think till then i would come to know all the cons and pros of the car. Also i love its breaking.

Last edited by abhibh : 18th January 2006 at 11:17.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote