Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2011, 02:09   #151
BHPian
 
ankit_chd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 262
Thanked: 28 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
@drpullockaran Thanks mate.



@ankit_chd . Would be good if you could do a comparison of the New Verna and the Magnum LS. Besides the gizmos, does the New Verna feel better in any other respect?


Well the car is good , the engine does feel good if its in the power band. Well turbo lag is evident below 1500rpm but then that is evident in all the turbo cars. As far as space goes , its good , front seats are good and airy. But rear seats are very low more over rear seats are fixed ones. And I wanted 60:40 split ones.

Its miles ahead of old verna in respect to engine refinement. Its very silent inside the cabin also. It will be very common on roads very soon.
ankit_chd is offline  
Old 28th May 2011, 10:17   #152
BHPian
 
AdrenalinJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 133
Thanked: 24 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Just my feeling. Within minutes in the car, one felt "at home" with it. A wonderful feeling driving this one, Isn't it?
Absolutely, I positively hate adjusment periods. I just wanna get in and GO GO GO!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
@AJ Nice review mate. Swift vs Optra? I was comparing the Optra to the Manza with the Sales guy. The Chevy guys would be left scratching their heads with comparos like this.

HA HA, I did tell the sales lady this and she looked at me with the most bewildered expression that I have ever seen in my life. She sheepishly replied by reminding me that the Optra is 2 segments higher than the Swift and that it is a sedan, to which i calmly asked "whats a sedan?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Any particular reason to opt for the Swift?
Well the swift was always in my radar but the only thing holding me back was the dated interiors and the lack of a Zdi version. If the Gen2 swift is released in a couple of months and it turns out to be as good as the reviews suggest then that would still be my pick over the optra for 5 reasons - all black modern interiors, mod potential, slightly higher fuel efficiency, better driving dynamics, and the fact that I live in Bangalore
AdrenalinJunkie is offline  
Old 28th May 2011, 19:05   #153
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalinJunkie View Post
If the Gen2 swift is released in a couple of months and it turns out to be as good as the reviews suggest then that would still be my pick over the optra for 5 reasons - all black modern interiors, mod potential, slightly higher fuel efficiency, better driving dynamics, and the fact that I live in Bangalore
A Tbhpian called Brraj has modded an optra to some insane figures.
Also modded the suspension. It may be worthwhile for you to hunt for it's details on the forum.

Last edited by Poitive : 28th May 2011 at 19:16.
Poitive is offline  
Old 28th May 2011, 23:34   #154
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 203
Thanked: 31 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Is there any particular reason you would recommend against the Optra?
And, oh yes! I do love the engine. And more too. About the confusion - it is just that the decision to purchase has been deffered as of now.

[/b][/quote]

The Optra is a very good car, The only reason i would recommend against it is,Resale value and it may be phased out pretty soon, also since its an older generation car, so equipments and features may be less. You will not like if it is discontinued after 6 months of your buying and they launch some new jazzy model.
krish82 is offline  
Old 29th May 2011, 00:03   #155
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 265 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Still don't understand why the manufacturers would not tune cars like the tuning boxes do. Better FE and more power would be more than welcome.
They cant because they will not be able meet Euro norms. It is the particulate matter that will be out of range. Of course you can do it you only have to meet normal PUC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Couple of years without better FE and Power? If it is not going to affect warranty, why mate?
You can add a bit of a zing to it when you get bored with it. (Maybe after 1-2 years).
In the running in period you basically dont need the tuning box. And you will appriciate the box in such a case. (You know the stock performance of the car already)
However I dont think you will see any improvement in FE.
oxyzen is offline  
Old 29th May 2011, 11:51   #156
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 359
Thanked: 55 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Unless you do a lot of bumper to bumper driving, the Optra should be comfortable to drive as far as diesels go.
Thanks @Poitive. Unfortunately, my daily commuting involves a good amount of bumper to bumper driving. I will be happy if I find a diesel sedan that has as light a clutch and smooth gearshift as my Getz (Petrol). An AT is the best, but I am not happy with the ANHV, especially after paying so much getting a rear seat that is below average in comfort (my family has mostly tall members)
mohan41 is offline  
Old 29th May 2011, 16:02   #157
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
They cant because they will not be able meet Euro norms. It is the particulate matter that will be out of range. Of course you can do it you only have to meet normal PUC.
Ahhh! Now that answers it.

Quote:
However I dont think you will see any improvement in FE.
Right, since it is likely to be driven much harder.
--------
It seems that a Manza with a tuning box and a specialized filter (green cotton?) may be a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Thanks @Poitive. Unfortunately, my daily commuting involves a good amount of bumper to bumper driving. I will be happy if I find a diesel sedan that has as light a clutch and smooth gearshift as my Getz (Petrol). An AT is the best, but I am not happy with the ANHV, especially after paying so much getting a rear seat that is below average in comfort (my family has mostly tall members)
You are welcome mate. Diesels almost always have harder clutches as compared to petrol cars. So expecting it to be as soft as a Getz may be unrealistic. If not an Auto, you should consider a car which needs lesser gear changes, with an acceptable clutch. And might I add, the Optra may be the answer.

Would suggest you to TD a few other diesels before and then the Optra to get a more realistic opinion about it. The seats of the Optra are supremely comfortable. More than most cars upto 15L, but that also depends on personal choices and body structures.

Last edited by Poitive : 29th May 2011 at 16:05.
Poitive is offline  
Old 30th May 2011, 16:51   #158
BHPian
 
Delta Wing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 228
Thanked: 112 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Would suggest you to TD a few other diesels before and then the Optra to get a more realistic opinion about it. The seats of the Optra are supremely comfortable. More than most cars upto 15L, but that also depends on personal choices and body structures.
Hey Poitive, what a super thread man. Just answers my requirements too. Have been searching for a sedan with good build, reasonable A.S.S. and balanced ride/handling coupled with powerful diesel. Now nothing in the market has anything close to the Magnum in all these respects. Even the Cruze is not really spacious at the rear with weird seating position (seats too upright, too low with seat pan raised towards front). I am just a little worried on the obsolescence for the Magnum, what if one buys the car today and a new upgrade is launched in a year or so? Otherwise, much of this car has timelessness stamped on it (I actually liked the pre facelift Optra far better). I don't worry too much on the resale because the car costs so less to start with, having the confort of a class above, it's almost like buying a depreciated upper segment car. And just where is another 120 BHP BS IV engine to go with such interiors? The Verna's 1.6 CRDI is a good engine but the car build and interiors is nowhere close to the Magnum. I have to wait for a few more days for CSD car sale to restart and also see the new Fiesta as well. I'm quite sure that the Fiesta won't be as spacious though, just very good to drive with all goodies. But the diesel is only said to have 90 BHP so the Magnum still surfaces back in the top spot where the basics are concerned.
Delta Wing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2011, 02:34   #159
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
Hey Poitive, what a super thread man. Just answers my requirements too.
Thanks mate. It is the interactions from all of us which makes threads useful.

My decision quite got made in the first few pages of this thread . I kept at it for two reasons:
1) To further refine and be open to any changes in the decision.
2) It seemed that there are others on the forum who are referring to this thread and it may be useful for them.

We are some 11 pages into discussing diesel sedans. Was wondering if people are even finding this thread useful, as I don't see anyone rating this thread.

Will share other thoughts on the Optra very soon.
Poitive is offline  
Old 31st May 2011, 10:01   #160
BHPian
 
AdrenalinJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 133
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
I don't worry too much on the resale because the car costs so less to start with, having the confort of a class above, it's almost like buying a depreciated upper segment car.
If you like the price and the VFM factor of the car now, just wait till the festival discounts start in a few months.
Thats what i'm waiting for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
We are some 11 pages into discussing diesel sedans. Was wondering if people are even finding this thread useful, as I don't see anyone rating this thread.
Dont worry mate, just voted this thread 5 stars.

With another Rs 1.75 hike in petrol prices imminent and probably more to come , more and more people are gonna venture onto this thread pretty soon.

Some of the cars in contention along with my views:

1. Optra Magnum [My Choice]
2. Hyundai Verna [Paper Champion]
3. VW Vento [How can a car so beautiful on the outside, be so pathetic on the inside!!!!]
4. Fiat Linea [Needs a tuning chip and a jacked up suspension]
5. Tata Manza [Better than people think but cheap interiors]
6. SX4 DDIS [Absolute rubbish]
7. Fiesta Classic CLXI [Still a pretty good car]
8. Swift Dzire DDIS [How is this even a sedan!!!!!]

A read through Smartcat's therad "Sedans Under Rs. 12 Lacs - A Quantitative Ranking" should prove quite helpful as well.

Linky - (Sedans Under Rs. 12 Lacs - A Quantitative Ranking)http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/81539-sedans-under-rs-12-lacs-quantitative-ranking.html

PS : I have attached the excel sheet with the rankings in this post for convenience.
Attached Files
File Type: xls sedan_buyers_guide_2011_2.0.xls (208.5 KB, 469 views)

Last edited by Stratos : 1st June 2011 at 11:21.
AdrenalinJunkie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2011, 12:55   #161
BHPian
 
breezydrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NOIDA
Posts: 709
Thanked: 68 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
..........
My decision quite got made in the first few pages of this thread . I kept at it for two reasons:
1) To further refine and be open to any changes in the decision.
2) It seemed that there are others on the forum who are referring to this thread and it may be useful for them.

We are some 11 pages into discussing diesel

Will share other thoughts on the Optra very soon.
Then the title of this thread is confusing!
There is no point is buying base OPTRA LS which is 9.45 OTR delhi. LT probably costs a Lakh more and thus can't be categorised in sedans up to 8 lakhs!

Anyway, a great decision to consider a 10 year old +10 lac sedan
breezydrive is offline  
Old 31st May 2011, 13:27   #162
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Then the title of this thread is confusing!
There is no point is buying base OPTRA LS which is 9.45 OTR delhi. LT probably costs a Lakh more and thus can't be categorised in sedans up to 8 lakhs!

Anyway, a great decision to consider a 10 year old +10 lac sedan
This thread started like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Hi Guys,

Need to buy a diesel sedan.

Briefly: Need a spacious sedan, which is reliable, inexpensive and hassle free to maintain. Being fun to drive is a big bonus. Budget: approx 7L (had the Manza in mind), which I can extend to 8L or at-most 9L for something very special (Optra?)

Now in more details:
@breezydrive, Mate, I really hope you read the first post.

The Optra after discounts is available for about 9L OTR. About 8.80L in Haryana. And yes, the ex-showroom price is about 1L lesser than the OTR.

Don't know if the last line was with some sarcasm to highlight my (and other's) stupidity or to constructively add to the discussion.

Last edited by Poitive : 31st May 2011 at 13:40. Reason: Added the bit about ex-showroom price
Poitive is offline  
Old 31st May 2011, 18:50   #163
BHPian
 
Delta Wing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 228
Thanked: 112 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Don't know if the last line was with some sarcasm to highlight my (and other's) stupidity or to constructively add to the discussion.
I think it's a little flawed to call the Magum ten years old. That would make the Honda City, what, like 12-13 years old? And the yet to be launched Fiesta would already be 5 Years old. The Magnum is almost a new car since the facelift, barring the engines I guess. Even those have been upgraded to BS IV norms, if I read the forum right. It's surprising so few of them are in the used market, the owners must love their Magnums to bits or what. On the contrary, the pre-upgrade Optra is galore in the used market, that too petrol ones mostly. Don't quite understand this. I think that if GM had got the starting prices right (like they're now), this car would have been a major hit. I just hope that these lowered prices don't mean a clearance sale to bring in an upgrade. But no road tests, no rumours either.

Last edited by Delta Wing : 31st May 2011 at 19:20.
Delta Wing is offline  
Old 31st May 2011, 19:20   #164
BHPian
 
rajatsingh78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Agra/Ghaziabad
Posts: 291
Thanked: 27 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

The xls that you attached ranks SX4 Diesel at 2nd position with a total of 16 points, though you rated it 6th in your comment below,

From where is this xls picked up from ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalinJunkie View Post
Dont worry mate, just voted this thread 5 stars.

With another Rs 1.75 hike in petrol prices imminent and probably more to come , more and more people are gonna venture onto this thread pretty soon.

Some of the cars in contention along with my views:

1. Optra Magnum [My Choice]
2. Hyundai Verna [Paper Champion]
3. VW Vento [How can a car so beautiful on the outside, be so pathetic on the inside!!!!]
4. Fiat Linea [Needs a tuning chip and a jacked up suspension]
5. Tata Manza [Better than people think but cheap interiors]
6. SX4 DDIS [Absolute rubbish]
7. Fiesta Classic CLXI [Still a pretty good car]
8. Swift Dzire DDIS [How is this even a sedan!!!!!]

A read through Smartcat's therad "Sedans Under Rs. 12 Lacs - A Quantitative Ranking" should prove quite helpful as well.

Linky - (Sedans Under Rs. 12 Lacs - A Quantitative Ranking)http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/81539-sedans-under-rs-12-lacs-quantitative-ranking.html

PS : I have attached the excel sheet with the rankings in this post for convenience.
rajatsingh78 is offline  
Old 31st May 2011, 20:34   #165
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 228
Thanked: 65 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive
We are some 11 pages into discussing diesel sedans. Was wondering if people are even finding this thread useful, as I don't see anyone rating this thread.

Will share other thoughts on the Optra very soon.
Hey,Poitive,I am actively following your thread. Optra is my first choice too. Just hesitant to make the plunge. I want to do one more TD. I have this lingering back pain and I want to check the driver seating . How about the ingress? Would any owners like to make a comment? Thanks in advance
Rameshdude is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Diesel Sedan at 8L - 12L bracket? shan_jp Sedans 29 2nd February 2006 10:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks