Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 7th June 2011, 18:09   #196
BHPian

Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive
Didn't mean that I'd prefer the Cruze. Just what I'd expect from GM.
Precisely, I did a +1 on what we would expect GM to do, not on the preference between the two.

My experience to describe the interior space would be like, felt a bit claustrophobic on the Cruze on the other hand glass area was much better off on the Optra.

Again for me it boils down to -

Optra - 314Nm
Cruze - 327Nm

With this meager difference, the price difference of close to 4L OTR does not make much sense (pardon me Cruze owners).

On the other things that have been mentioned, the gizmos and stuff; looking at the price that it is being offered, it doesn't hurt 1 bit if they are not offered.

IMO, I would not want GM to provide these gizmos and up the price by 1L.

Last edited by Torquedo : 7th June 2011 at 18:12. Reason: update
Old 7th June 2011, 18:24   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
1. Vento TDI HL
2. Verna RB 1.6 CRDi
Whats wrong with Chevrolet Optra other than old looks interior and exterior? Please let me know as I'm in middle of booking a car
Old 7th June 2011, 18:27   #198
BHPian

Quote:
The problem with the optra is that its now an 8 year old product. The engine is 4 years old, but the chassis is the same Daewoo Nubira engineered in 2002. Second, the depreciation rate stinks like anything, even if the car is gonna be kept for 6-7 years. There are newer and better choices available then whats the point of the optra? The car's time has gone and it should be phased out. GM should come out with a stripped down Cruze LS for 2 lakhs less.
I heard the chassis of the optra is still better than the new verna. Dont know about the Vento. I TD Verna, Vento and Optra on the same day and found the new verna a bit disconnected from the road.
Old 7th June 2011, 18:31   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post

With this meager difference, the price difference of close to 4L OTR does not make much sense (pardon me Cruze owners).

On the other things that have been mentioned, the gizmos and stuff; looking at the price that it is being offered, it doesn't hurt 1 bit if they are not offered.

IMO, I would not want GM to provide these gizmos and up the price by 1L.
Torquedo,

Optra Magnum LT presently costs around 10.5 lakhs after the discounts. Even if GM increases the price by 50k-100k in order to offer all the gizmos mentioned by Poitive and also throw in EBD, the price would still be on par with a Vento highline or Verna SX and would still be a good buy. My personal opinion.
Old 7th June 2011, 18:43   #200
BHPian

Quote:
The optra's value crashes by 50 percent in the first year itself. Spares should be available given there are decent number of optras on the roads but the biggest problem is its dated. Its still a good underrated product though. I am talking about the to-be-launched-soon Verna RB, not the current verna.

Or else, search heard for a pre owned optra magnum TCDi. Get in touch with "chevrolet OK promise" or other pre owned dealers. Why not start your search for a pre owned Cruze? Try hard and you can find some. But if spares should be a concern, wait for the Verna RB. Just 15-20 days more.
Good point I actually thought of going for a used cruze, but I sat in the old cruze (beige interior) and the new cruze (black interior) and you wont believe there is so much head room and legroom in the black interior, I know it doesnt make any sense but check it out yourself. The sales guy told me this and I said thats not possible. He had both the old and the new one and so I thought i'll give it a shot and he was right. Dont know what exactly are the changes but it has more headroom than the old beige interior cruze. One wont be able to find a used black interior cruze and the other thing is even the used (good condition) cruze are 10.5 plus and 2 year old.
Old 7th June 2011, 18:51   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Yes Optra is an excellent product marketed terribly. It had everything:
Torque,power,space,ride. Still no one has even come close to this car as of now.
320NM assures some serious pull. If only the lag was not present and the Handling was a bit better.
TD the cruze and the optra magnum, try it sometime if you get a chance. The lag you feel in the cruze is much much more than on Optra magnum. It actually is a diesel rocket. The best car in this category except the looks department.
Old 7th June 2011, 18:56   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Now this is BIG news. Thanks for sharing mate.

@itwasntme, can you reveal if the source is within GM or outside it? The reliability of this information may affect some members from picking up an Optra.

Has anyone else heard of any such information?

While many of us were wondering if this car will even continue selling, there is this news of it continuing and also of yet another version between the current Optra and the Cruze!

Would be good if people could share their views on the viability of having both these models below the Cruze.

One would normally expect a stripped down Cruze to fill that price bracket, or maybe even reduce the price of the Cruze (isn't it typical of GM to keep reducing their car's prices?)

I wonder if this could only be a rumor. Or maybe they will price the new model just about current Optra price and discontinue the current Optra. Well, this is just speculation from my side.

Just heard from a friend of mine who has some good contacts, pretty much every where A new optra is coming probably in another year or more. BUT WITH A UNDER POWERED ENGINE probably 1.5 or 1.6 diesel.
Old 7th June 2011, 20:59   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Just heard from a friend of mine who has some good contacts, pretty much every where A new optra is coming probably in another year or more. BUT WITH A UNDER POWERED ENGINE probably 1.5 or 1.6 diesel.
Mate, the Optra will loose most of it's ege if that happens. Or maybe both Optra's will coexist with different engine options like the Verna. If not, we'd better buy it before this engine is discontinued!

About your other concerns, in my books, the Optra is better than the Cruze in most respects. Overall a better car to live with.
Old 7th June 2011, 21:06   #204
BHPian

Just came back after visiting the showroom in Chennai. The sales guy had no idea on new rumored optra. The current one is very good. I loved cruze too. Will go for test drive soon.
Old 9th June 2011, 01:16   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Whats wrong with Chevrolet Optra other than old looks interior and exterior? Please let me know as I'm in middle of booking a car
The exterior actually looks pretty good from the rear. There are a lot of old Optras on the road which often don't look good. See a new one and it still has (a timeless sort of) appeal.

What is wrong about the Optra?
- Horn is not ergonomic.
- Not too large a boot, though it means better rear view mirror visibility than many other cars, without raising the CG. Consequently easier to reverse.
- Controls as per a LHD vehicle (wiper - indicators on the 'wrong' side)

But on the whole it has a whole lot of other positives, you would have seen on this thread. A lot of car for the money and a car sound on the basics. For finer points, I suggest you go through the whole thread.

Quote:
I heard the chassis of the optra is still better than the new verna. Dont know about the Vento. I TD Verna, Vento and Optra on the same day and found the new verna a bit disconnected from the road.
I TD the Vento and Optra back to back. The Vento was a bit more involving and sharper to drive with better handling in 2 digit figures. Optra is VERY planted and overall felt like a MUCH better vehicle to drive and be in - miles ahead.

Quote:
Good point I actually thought of going for a used cruze, but I sat in the old cruze (beige interior) and the new cruze (black interior) and you wont believe there is so much head room and legroom in the black interior, I know it doesnt make any sense but check it out yourself. The sales guy told me this and I said thats not possible. He had both the old and the new one and so I thought i'll give it a shot and he was right. Dont know what exactly are the changes but it has more headroom than the old beige interior cruze. One wont be able to find a used black interior cruze and the other thing is even the used (good condition) cruze are 10.5 plus and 2 year old.
Quote:
TD the cruze and the optra magnum, try it sometime if you get a chance. The lag you feel in the cruze is much much more than on Optra magnum. It actually is a diesel rocket. The best car in this category except the looks department.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Just came back after visiting the showroom in Chennai. The sales guy had no idea on new rumored optra. The current one is very good. I loved cruze too. Will go for test drive soon.
The cabin of the Optra (seats, knee room, head room, leg room etc) is miles ahead of the Cruze on comfort. Even more so for a large person. The Cruze's cabin looks a lot more modern, however there is lesser knee room. The Optra's cabin feels more airy too. And yes, it was a black interior Cruze. The Optra also seemed to be an easier vehicle to drive on a day to day basis.

I do love the looks of the Cruze from the front though. The Optra is not even close, in my books.
Old 9th June 2011, 13:58   #206
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Mate, the Optra will loose most of it's ege if that happens. Or maybe both Optra's will coexist with different engine options like the Verna. If not, we'd better buy it before this engine is discontinued!
Alright then, I've decided/booked to buy an optra LT, and will get it by this weekend.

The apprehensions still exist, as to the long term implications, in case this avatar is discontinued. So far the positives of the car and the price at which it is available have considerably outweighed the negatives of buying a previous generation car.

Any insights any of you might have which I should be considering?

I plan to keep the car for long, so resale value should not be much problem but service and spare could be.
Old 9th June 2011, 14:03   #207
BHPian

Hey SLK -

Congratulations on your booking !!

A few questions if you might help -

1) Which dealer?
2) What color?
3) What price have they offered you?
4) Have you opted for the Chev Maintenance package?

Congrats once again.

Happy Motoring !!

Last edited by Torquedo : 9th June 2011 at 14:05. Reason: typo
Old 9th June 2011, 14:22   #208
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
A few questions if you might help -

1) Which dealer?
2) What color?
3) What price have they offered you?
4) Have you opted for the Chev Maintenance package?
Thanks.

1) Regent (Mathura road)
2) White Diamond (costs 10k extra)
3) Dealer discount 23-24k and reverse parking sensor on a original price of 10.5.
4) No, not so far. And might not decide to do so as a 3 year package is for almost 30k. My experience with cars in my family is that for almost 4 years, nothing goes bad.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 14:45   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Alright then, I've decided/booked to buy an optra LT, and will get it by this weekend.

The apprehensions still exist, as to the long term implications, in case this avatar is discontinued. So far the positives of the car and the price at which it is available have considerably outweighed the negatives of buying a previous generation car.

Any insights any of you might have which I should be considering?

I plan to keep the car for long, so resale value should not be much problem but service and spare could be.
SLK, This thread has become quite long now so am not sure if you went through all of it. One strong view about the Optra was expressed by Khoj here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post2379561

It isn't the ideal car to be cornered hard, but should be very good for everyday driving. Anyone who owns is seems to praise it.

In this price band, it seems to be the best diesel for many, depending on their priorities. It runs like a 15L car, with the maintenance of a 7-8L car, space of a 15L car, with FE comparable to a Manza and you pay only 9-10L! A good choice, I'd say.

Congrats mate! Do keep us posted on your thoughts and experiences.
Old 9th June 2011, 21:05   #210
BHPian

Just came across this old info and am very surprised.

Verito-Logan / Optra

Source:Autocar India
Wheelbase: 2630 / 2600
Width: 1740 / 1725
Height: 1540 / 1445
Length: 4247 / 4540
Boot: 510 / 405 ltrs

Now, this in now way means that the Optra is small (except the boot) but that the Verito-Logan is that big. Even though it is not as long, the wheelbase is more surprisingly more.

Am really very surprised to read this.

It would be great if someone posted a writeup on the Logan.
Closed Thread