Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 14th June 2011, 15:43   #241
BHPian

Default Re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Hahaha

Jakku,

Welcome to the club. Couple of months ago I decided to buy a Vento and then test drove the Optra and I was bowled over too. I have decided my next car will certainly not be Vento. But I am now waiting for the new Fiesta on the advice of my friend who is a top honcho in Ford marketing.

Optra does that to you. The space, the power and the recently acquired patience and marketing skill of Chevy dealers force you to pause.

The OTR price at Hyderabad for LT model is 10.7 Lakhs.

I am holding onto my money till July and once I TD the new Fiesta I will take a call. As of now the reports on the new Fiesta are encouraging and I will wait till the prices are announced before finalising.

I have asked my friend at Ford several times about the OTR price of Fiesta but he says it is not finalised yet. Ford had couple of meetings on the subject this month already and will take a call before the launch in July 2nd week.

Last edited by NoRules : 14th June 2011 at 15:45.
Old 14th June 2011, 16:01   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Hahaha

The OTR price at Hyderabad for LT model is 10.7 Lakhs.
Oh that is a cool 80k difference. It is quite worth booking from Andra/ Kerala/ TN where the taxes are less and driving in Bangalore.

[/quote]
I am holding onto my money till July and once I TD the new Fiesta I will take a call. As of now the reports on the new Fiesta are encouraging and I will wait till the prices are announced before finalising.
[/quote]

Yeah that is right. But I remember some reviews complaining about the space & ride quality. Not sure though.
Old 14th June 2011, 16:45   #243
BHPian

@Jakku - What was the final price? 11.44 less 38K less 31K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
The OTR price in Bangalore as of yesterday is 11.44 L and offered a discount of 38000/- (cash discount + corporate bonus) and additional Rs.31000/- for Chevy Promise (optional). This is for the new 2011 model. Changes from the previous one are - the new one has a different Alloy, ACC & 6 CD changer.
Old 14th June 2011, 17:23   #244
BHPian

Smile Re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
@Jakku - What was the final price? 11.44 less 38K less 31K?
No, it is 11.44L - 38K + 31K, so in effect it is 11.44 - 7K. 31 K is optional, the reason why I mentioned it as additional, sorry for the confusion caused.
Old 14th June 2011, 17:43   #245
BHPian

[/quote]

Yeah that is right. But I remember some reviews complaining about the space & ride quality. Not sure though.[/quote]

I guess it will make sense to wait for couple of weeks. The launch is anyway less than a month and since most of the websites / news channels have reviewed the Fiesta, the T-BHP review should not be too long and once that is up, it should clear most of the doubts we might have.
Old 14th June 2011, 22:17   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Confusion again !!!! I had almost finalised on Linea (my long term admiration) but this TD took all the things to a different direction.
Oh yes, I can understand that so well. I was almost decided on the Manza. One TD of the Optra and it was game on! The Optra afterall is a 1991cc engine (the MJD's only 1248cc). It has been comparable to the Corolla and Civic with some even preferring it over the Corolla in some ways ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2360351 ). At it's price it seems to be a steal.

Quote:
This is for the new 2011 model. Changes from the previous one are - the new one has a different Alloy, ACC & 6 CD changer.
Also please check on the Power and Torque figures. There is some confusion on if the ones on the website are correct or the ones on the brochure?

(Optra Magnum Diesel Specifications, Chevrolet Optra Magnum Diesel Technical Specifications )
Brochure: 125.5Bhp@3800 / 305Nm@2000

There was some (probably conflicting) talk on the forum of the Fuel tank being reduced.

Quote:
I took the vehicle to my wife's office (about 2 km from mine) and took her for a small drive of about a KM and came back. She was quite amazed by the plush interiors as soon as she entered and was quite happy at the end. According to her, the Linea/ SX4 is not up to this mark from interior perspective.
Am happy to read this. I too found the interiors and ride to be very plush. Even though the interiors didn't seem modern, they did seem high quality.

Quote:
Went back to my office through heavy traffic and was quite happy driving this beast in 1st gear for about 2kms (20 mins to cover this 2 kms!!!!).
I vaguely remember some mention about a change in ECU settings to reduce the Turbo lag etc. My test drives were largely on open roads and I was a bit skeptical about how it may be in bumper to bumper traffic. Your experience builds confidence even on that respect. Great!

Quote:
To put it simply, too amazed. The looks were not eye catching from outside, but from inside it had that "OOMPH" factor (according to me). I was feeling as if sitting in a big car from inside (bigger than Accent, Linea and SX4).
Yes, I too felt that this car has presence, without shouting for attention. It has an "OOMPH" even in how it drives. An Optra owner (Rodeo?) also talked about the pleasure of slowly taking up the ramp in malls!

Quote:
This is our experience and a layman's feeling of the vehicle. I will come out with full TD details and selection criteria in a new thread at What Car > Sedan section and as suggested by Poitive, will post the link in this thread.
Mate, feel free to post your experiences and criteria here itself. This thread is open to all considering a Diesel sedan under 12L. It would build up a thread with opinions in one place and overall may be more helpful for all.

(Mentioned in this post too. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post2387122 (Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L) )

All the best for your selection.

Last edited by Poitive : 14th June 2011 at 22:20. Reason: Formatting etc.
Old 14th June 2011, 23:08   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Also please check on the Power and Torque figures. There is some confusion on if the ones on the website are correct or the ones on the brochure?

(Optra Magnum Diesel Specifications, Chevrolet Optra Magnum Diesel Technical Specifications )
Brochure: 125.5Bhp@3800 / 305Nm@2000

There was some (probably conflicting) talk on the forum of the Fuel tank being reduced.
Yeah there is a change in the power/ torque as well as the new one is BS IV complaint and the correct one is 125.5Bhp@3800 / 305Nm@2000. I have not checked on the Fuel Tank capacity. I am not correctly recollecting, but I feel the alloys are now 16". The only "drawback" I can see is a boot space of 405L for a car of this size, but that space has been taken inside the cabin which is more useful than the boot space.

Quote:
I vaguely remember some mention about a change in ECU settings to reduce the Turbo lag etc. My test drives were largely on open roads and I was a bit skeptical about how it may be in bumper to bumper traffic. Your experience builds confidence even on that respect. Great!
Yes, I did not feel the turbo lag and neither the car was jumping when I was driving it in 1st gear. There were 2 vehicles involved in a small incident of brushing each other and the guys were shouting in the middle of the road which choked the traffic to that extent (blessing in disguise!!!).

Quote:
Mate, feel free to post your experiences and criteria here itself. This thread is open to all considering a Diesel sedan under 12L. It would build up a thread with opinions in one place and overall may be more helpful for all.

(Mentioned in this post too. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post2387122 (Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L) )

All the best for your selection.
Sure, I will start my "story" here itself in some time. Bit hectic at work now. I am not sure if I will buy a new car for the time being (there might be a temporary on-site posting).
Old 15th June 2011, 09:36   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku
Yeah there is a change in the power/ torque as well as the new one is BS IV complaint and the correct one is 125.5Bhp@3800 / 305Nm@2000. I have not checked on the Fuel Tank capacity. I am not correctly recollecting, but I feel the alloys are now 16". The only "drawback" I can see is a boot space of 405L for a car of this size, but that space has been taken inside the cabin which is more useful than the boot space.
These (new) tech specs are provided on the brochures, there is no other word of confirmation if the tech specs have been tampered with.

My repeated calls to the dealerships and Chevy helpline have not helped in confirming if there has been a change.

According to the last inputs that I received, there has been a misprint on the brochures and this would be rectified in the subsequent brochures. The only problem is no one knows when they (new brochures) are going to be available as the Optra does not sell off the shelf and dealers already have their stocks (old ones) piled up with them.

If anyone on the forum has someone known higher up in the Chevy management, please confirm if the specs have been changed post BS 4 implementation.

To add to this, I have a May 2010 brochure which has the original figures, the one that I have from October 2010 has the changed figures, so this has kept me guessing for a while now.

More to the confusion, another T-BHPian (Viswesh) has got his Jan 2011 Optra with the original tech specs and he has confirmed this on his ownership experience, the link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-lt-black.html (Chevrolet Optra Magnum 2.0 LT - Black)

No ways the alloys are 16'',the car retains it's boots @ 195/60 R15.

The new alloys, for the 2009 made Optra look pathetic in comparison to the ones in the 2008 lot.

To add more confusion on the tech specs, one cannot rely heavily on the Chevy website, a crude example -

Cruze on the website has - 327@2200 RPM, whereas on the brochures the specs are 327@2600 RPM.

So I guess it is hard to confirm on the tech specs post BS 4 implementation.
Old 15th June 2011, 11:50   #249
BHPian

Post Re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
These (new) tech specs are provided on the brochures, there is no other word of confirmation if the tech specs have been tampered with.

My repeated calls to the dealerships and Chevy helpline have not helped in confirming if there has been a change.
These figures were confirmed to me by the sales guy and the brochure also tells the same.

Quote:
No ways the alloys are 16'',the car retains it's boots @ 195/60 R15.
As I told, I am not properly recollecting if he said so, but the brochure mentions it at 15".
Old 15th June 2011, 22:51   #250
BHPian

Hi,

I started out looking at the Ford Fiesta Classic - a long time desire of mine.

What I express below are purely my opinions and I apologise in advance to any individuals who might feel hurt/angry.

In the process, I did research (one of these days, we need to be able to earn a doctorate) and considered the Fiat Linea (the driver feeling is an awesome one of a fighter aircraft and a sports car - but the shoddy interior finish, no CRDI equivalent and the slightly disjoint appearance of the boot led to a reject), Sx4 (no bonnet view, larger Indigo feeling both led to a reject), Chevy Aveo, Optra, Cruze (bad website, no clear info anywhere - reject), Honda City (Petrol only - reject), Manza (funny appearance of boot, disproportionate muscles around the bumpers, a TATA car - reject), Tata Safari (awesome value for money, interior plastics were a bad job with large spaces between them and quality appearing more like molten ice cream spoon plastic - reject)

Finally when I returned to Ford, I got to see a Sxi and a Classic parked next to each other at the showroom. Only then did the clear visible difference between them appear. The Classic is clearly more 'boxy', gives the appearance of having a lower gauge of metal.

The choice was super clear. I have not regretted it for a moment and have already completed 1100+ km in the first month. Heavenly.

Why did I not wait for the new Verna or new Fiesta? I had had enough doing virtual simulation of the bonnet in my head while driving the Indigo for 8 years. I wanted something that gave the comfort of the space, while providing the view of the Ikon. In simple terms, I wanted a car, not an aircraft cockpit. The former runs on Bangalore roads and needs clear visibility, the latter has the road all for itself and navigates by the stars (GPS, in a way!). Doing the latter for the former is messy.

So, to cut a long story short, I went for a Fiesta Sxi 1.4 Diesel and am really happy with it. Hope this post helps anyone who is trying to make a decision. Atleast confuses so that clarity emerges at the end of the day!

Warm regards,
NagaSid
Old 16th June 2011, 18:12   #251
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post

More to the confusion, another T-BHPian (Viswesh) has got his Jan 2011 Optra with the original tech specs and he has confirmed this on his ownership experience, the link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-lt-black.html (Chevrolet Optra Magnum 2.0 LT - Black)
This is all news to me! I also bought an Optra last week, the owners manual which appears to be updated in December 2010, lists the original specs.

Funny! that there is no other way to find out!
Old 16th June 2011, 18:36   #252
BHPian

Anout the engine specs - The owner's manual may not be the final word. Writing to GM with chassis (VIN) and Engine no. would be a good idea.

Will write more when on the comp.
Old 16th June 2011, 18:48   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga.sid View Post
Hi,

I started out looking at the Ford Fiesta Classic - a long time desire of mine.

What I express below are purely my opinions and I apologise in advance to any individuals who might feel hurt/angry.
Firstly congrats on your new possession, please put up your initial experience and ownership report.

You won't hurt anyone's feelings, this is how you thought and you selected the car. These discussions only helps to take a calculated/ wise decision & might add more and more choices, so your final decision will be more calculated and will love more !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Anout the engine specs - The owner's manual may not be the final word. Writing to GM with chassis (VIN) and Engine no. would be a good idea.
Hello Poitive, Just wanted to check how do we confirm what GM claims is right or wrong? Is there a way we can get the BHP delivered by the engine checked (like checking the correct bandwidth provided by an ISP) or just believe it at the face value?

@MODS: apologies for a back to back post, no disregard to the norms in any means, just saw this post from Poitive after I submitted my earlier post. Please merge both of these posts if possible. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th June 2011 at 22:44.
Old 16th June 2011, 22:28   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Poitive, Just wanted to check how do we confirm what GM claims is right or wrong? Is there a way we can get the BHP delivered by the engine checked (like checking the correct bandwidth provided by an ISP) or just believe it at the face value?
Mate, since you are in Bangalore, you may be able to get it tested. Brraj had started a thread about his mods (to some insane figures) of the Optra.

Also please link to his thread, on this thread too. More when I am on the comp.
Old 17th June 2011, 00:07   #255
BHPian

I too am in the market for a diesel sedan and TD Manza Elan, Linea and Verito. Loved Manza's space and Linea's looks. Loathed Verito's interiors and looks but the suspension is just amazing.

In spite of being disappointed with the read headroom of Linea, decided on the Linea Emotion Pack. Then, in another thread( The "New" car price check thread...), Poitive suggested Optra and I TD it today. Man!!! I'm completely impressed with this beauty. It's a cool 1.45 lacs more than the Linea(Ex-Showroom).

I started my hunt with a budget of around 7 lacs, stretched it by about 70k to accomodate Linea and now looks like I need to stretch it a lot more.

How I wish I did not TD Optra . I don't think I now want to TD the new Verna. I think I found my machine.I now need to burn the midnight oil and see how(not IF) I can manage the EMI's.

BTW, Kun dealer in HYD, is offering the LT model for 9.15 lacs(Ex-Showroom). You see, The OTR does not matter to me as this will be a Company Leased vehicle and all my EMI's will have to be worked around the Ex-Showroom price.
Closed Thread