Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 17th June 2011, 16:30   #271
BHPian

Default Re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
By any chance was it the LS model and not the LT?
It was the LT, Sandrift Grey color, not allocated to anyone, up for sale.

Last edited by Torquedo : 17th June 2011 at 16:33.
Old 17th June 2011, 17:24   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo

It was the LT, Sandrift Grey color, not allocated to anyone, up for sale.
I also remember seeing the LT model in Chennai. Seats did not look leather.
Old 17th June 2011, 17:34   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Precisely, they were PU, got similar stuff fitted into my Figo, the cost would not be more than 6K odd.

This leaves me thinking there might be other hidden changes, another thing that I noted, which others on the forum might or might not be knowing is -

The paint under the hood and the boot (inside) is not painted in the original color, only a primer coat has been done.
Old 17th June 2011, 18:15   #274
BHPian

Fellow T-BHPians -

This news might or might not be true, but I would like to share it with all of you:

I received a call from my SA, I had personally requested him to confirm with people in GM if the Optra is going to be shelfed or not in the coming months:

He has confirmed that Optra is going to be phased out in November/December period.

Additionally my analysis on the VIN (I had posted on this thread earlier) was bang on target, the current lot of Optra's being sold are Feb make and these might be the last ones that are being sold out.

Again, this piece of information has been provided by my SA, this might or might not be true.
Old 17th June 2011, 18:24   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo
Fellow T-BHPians -

This news might or might not be true, but I would like to share it with all of you:

I received a call from my SA, I had personally requested him to confirm with people in GM if the Optra is going to be shelfed or not in the coming months:

He has confirmed that Optra is going to be phased out in November/December period.

Additionally my analysis on the VIN (I had posted on this thread earlier) was bang on target, the current lot of Optra's being sold are Feb make and these might be the last ones that are being sold out.

Again, this piece of information has been provided by my SA, this might or might not be true.
Oh. If they come with a replacement, then it's good.
Old 17th June 2011, 18:43   #276
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by visweshkalambur View Post
@ ampere..it is easily atleast a lakh more expensive than the Optra...with a lesser engine cubic capacity...

I cant debate on the worthiness of the altis otherwise..
I agree to what you say. My only thought was, that amount you may extract with longevity and lower maintenance over the period.
But if you are not planning to hold it for long (~ 7-8 years), the it does not make sense.
Old 17th June 2011, 18:49   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari
Oh. If they come with a replacement, then it's good.
Pardon me forgot to add, he mentioned that Sonic is on the cards but when I delved further into the matters, he was unable to state the tech specs of the car.

How I wish, Sonic comes with the same engine @ 9.5 OTR and some additional gizmos.
Old 17th June 2011, 19:33   #278
BHPian

I too am in a dilema in the sub 12 lakh diesel sedan segment. I need a car mainly for city use, and will be self driven. I have driven the Verna and the Vento. I love a car which feels good in the hands. That's why I just Love the Laura .

Hyundai Verna: Love the engine, I miss the push in the back seat you get in the previous car but none-the-less a good engine. Good slick gear box, the auto-box is very lathargic. Am just blown away by the goodies being offered. The car really looks aggressive in certain angles. But a huge drawback/deal-braker especially for me is the over-light steering feel. Just takes away all the fun.

VW Vento: Good power delivery, better feedback through the steering wheel than the Verna, but still over light, I guess it will be handy in the city. I got a nice feel of the car. Awsome gearbox. I like the looks of the car. The draw-back for me is the lack of equipment, the shoddy dealership network, and the insane waiting period. I had to use contacts just to get a test-drive of the car, would you believe it. I would have still bought this car with my eyes closed if it came with a DSG.
Did anyone see what Petes did to the Vento, the car looks really good, total sleeper. It came in an issue of Quater-mile.

Ford Fiesta: I love the front look of the car and can live with the back. But by the intial reports they say it has a heavy clutch, will have to wait for the test-drive to see how heavy it is.

Magnum: This car would have been perfect, but I already have the petrol 1.6, don't want to have two same cars. The petrol I feel handles like a boat don't know about the diesel.

So I guess no car is perfect, will have to make a compromise some where or the other OR I save a lot more cash and get the BMW 1 series

Last edited by xtremeshock : 17th June 2011 at 19:35.
Old 17th June 2011, 20:47   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by visweshkalambur View Post
@ Jakku... while i would nt want to debate on the interiors completely, I can tell you that the interiors in Optra feels more spacious and vibrant than the Linea. I think the beige interiors (read light colours) help in addition to the largeeeeeeee space within the car. The seat covers aint bad and importantly it fits well and does nt look out of place.
Yes, exactly, interiors is one of the 2 plus points I had for Optra. And if the leather seats in the new generation Optra is not upto the mark of the 2010 version, then I will be thinking twice before finalising. Again interior is not the only criteria for the selection, but it is one of the most important criteria.
Old 17th June 2011, 21:00   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Pardon me forgot to add, he mentioned that Sonic is on the cards but when I delved further into the matters, he was unable to state the tech specs of the car.

How I wish, Sonic comes with the same engine @ 9.5 OTR and some additional gizmos.
Thanks Torquedo for sharing this information. When I checked with the sales guy I interacted 2 days back, he confirmed it will be there for atleast an year and a half more. But, now will need to think twice before I can decide. On Sonic, I too wish as you do. It should come below Cruze price level (I just can afford this much) and should have better gizmos than the outgoing one.

@ MODS: please forgive me for a back to back post. No disregards to the norms, I just saw these posts after my previous reply. If possible, request you to merge both the posts together.
Old 18th June 2011, 16:16   #281
BHPian

@Mods, had a lot to say on the posts and initially considered only long post, but thought that it would make it cumbersome (to reply and to read), so am posting topic wise. In case you think that it would be more readable please merge the back to back posts. This is not due to any disregard for norms, but to improve readability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
What the .... or rather how, where and when did this happen?

Did I miss something somewhere?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I guess he is right,albeit the engines were in a different state of tune.
same goes for Tucson's engine as well.
"What the ....." Interesting way to communicate mate!
Anyway, What I did remember then was based on what was read on some forums, including this one.

5 seconds on google searching for "optra magnum elantra diesel engine same" and voila! The first result was from our very own forum discussing this topic in 2007 here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...me-engine.html (Optra magnum -Hyundai elantra -same engine ??)

That may be the right thread to discuss this issue, if needed at all.
Old 18th June 2011, 16:34   #282
BHPian

Quote:

2) The current lot of Optra being sold belong to a particular VIN series -

9th Alphabet - B
10th Alphabet - B

and the last 5 digits are like 11XXX (I can confirm on this as I have verified this for 5 odd cars some delivered and some to be).

This indicates that the cars are Feb 2011 make, but but, there was another thing that I found out yesterday.

The is a small black colored metal plate on the bottom of the left hand side front door which had the Eng. No. , the Chassis No. and the month and year of manufacture, which showed DB, now this indicates that the car is April 2011 make. This has again left a lot of confusion in my head, the metal plate that i'm talking about had these numbers inscribed, can the experienced lot here on the forum throw some light as to what the correct month of manufacture would be?
Now we need to be sure if the VIN(Chassis) numbers are being interpreted/decoded as they were meant to be. There was some talk about Chevy changing how they code the VIN numbers, possibly on this forum itself.

A good thread on VIN numbers is here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...cture-vin.html (ARTICLE: Find your car's date of manufacture (VIN))

Quote:
This new vehicle had it's share of coarseness about it (it did not sound refined), the sudden burst of turbo was also missing and it did not drive like the way I have driven the TD vehicles (4 fully loaded with AC @ 180+), so my questions are as follows -

1) Do the diesel engines behave this way (not being refined initially)?
2) The surge was not prominent as in the previous TD vehicles, does the turbo take time to settle down with the engine after prolonged use (1K ~ 2K) or can it be something to do the changed specs (max horses coming in @ 3800 instead of 3000)?
From what I know and have experienced, diesel engines do need to reach a certain operating temperature to perform well and efficiently. Give it about 5-10 minutes of warming up on low rmp driving.

Turbo charged cars need to be warmed up 1 minute or so each time one starts the the car. One is also supposed to let the car idle for a minute before turning off the engine.

The car having only run 24kms would also have something to do with it, I suspect. Running in should make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal98 View Post
I had gone to the Chevrolet showroom here in Bangalore few days back and they said that it would take 20 days for the Optra Magnum diesel to be delivered. But if the current lot is from Feb 2011, it shouldn't take them this long to transport the car. Not sure what is going on.
To be a bit more sure of if the lot is from Feb, we should also check the papers of the car. From what I remember, it is mentioned somewhere. Experts please advise.

Cruze vs Optra
Torquedo and others who may be considering these two vehicles - If you are inclined towards the Cruze, I would strongly recommend you to spend a longer time in the cabin of the Cruze. Try and access how comfortable it is for you. I suspect a lot of people will be unhappy with the cabin design. And I am talking space and ergonomics (especially the seat) here.
Old 18th June 2011, 16:48   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
Oops, I am yet to see the new model in flesh and the plushness of the interiors were one of the 2 reasons for almost deciding this vehicle (the other one in the race being Linea 1.3 MJD E Pack. So I don't want to lose out on this point :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Quote:
Yes, exactly, interiors is one of the 2 plus points I had for Optra. And if the leather seats in the new generation Optra is not upto the mark of the 2010 version, then I will be thinking twice before finalising. Again interior is not the only criteria for the selection, but it is one of the most important criteria.
Spoke to the (new) SA at the dealership. He didn't seem the best informed guy. Said that the seats are indeed PU. Also that the TD vehicle they have also have PU seats (though I didn't pay specific attention to it, they must have been really good quality on the TD vehicle).

Optra Interiors
This is just my opinion. Good car interiors start with good comfortable seat which are ergonomic. The driver's seat being well suited for a good driving position. The waist line being low helps in making the cabin more airy and gives a better visual connect to the world outside. The windscreen not starting too high is also a plus. Then come the cubby holes, the charging points etc. The Optra scores well in all this.

Visuals design is very personal. The Optra looks a bit dated, yet acceptably pleasing to me, mainly due to it's good quality.

Where the Optra sorely lacks is the RHD/LHD configuration in the controls. Personally don't like the horn to be two buttons. Much prefer a large centre horn, which is accessible while holding the steering.

Yes, leather seats are very much welcome, but I just meant to for people to look beyond just that, when accessing the interiors.

The price difference in the LS and LT is about 1L, in which one gets Safety features, better ICE, chrome thrown around, better seats covers. Seems like a fair price difference. With leather seats, was almost a steal
Old 18th June 2011, 17:20   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Guys,

Heard from a (reasonably reliable) source that GM is planning a major facelift for the Optra including both exterior and interiors, almost resulting in a different vehicle.

It may also have a new name to differentiate it from the current Optra Magnum which will also continue. Powertrain/Engine will remain the same.

Intent is to capture the segment between Optra (EX-S 8.6L to 9.6L) and Cruze (EX-S 12.2l to 14.7L).

Has anyone heard anything about this elsewhere?
Quote:
Fellow T-BHPians -

Quote:

Quote:
Thanks Torquedo for sharing this information. When I checked with the sales guy I interacted 2 days back, he confirmed it will be there for atleast an year and a half more. But, now will need to think twice before I can decide. On Sonic, I too wish as you do. It should come below Cruze price level (I just can afford this much) and should have better gizmos than the outgoing one.

@ MODS: please forgive me for a back to back post. No disregards to the norms, I just saw these posts after my previous reply. If possible, request you to merge both the posts together.

Just some thoughts on the Sonic/Sail launch and Optra being shelved.

Given what itwasntme, torquedo and Jakku and my talk with a couple of sales guys at Chevy, it got me thinking on what was happening. What I have been able to access (or shall I call it guess) may be totally incorrect.

It is known that Chevy is looking to replace the current Aveo and Uva. The Sales guys have been talking about the Sail. (Or it possibly will be the Sonic, as Torquedo's guy says). The Sales guy talked about smaller engines (1.4 - 1.6), which matched with itwasntme's info. He also talked about a Novermber launch. This may be the car itwasntme may have been told about, and it may have little in common with the current Optra.

The petrol Optra was off the price-list of Chevy dealers and was only available on order. It gotten me thinking of Optra's demise. As per the Sales guy, the petrol version was discontinued as it would compete with the new Aveo (and I suspect that the sales would have been very less, especially with petrol prices).

I don't think the Optra Diesel will be discontinued unless it is eroding significantly into the new Aveo (or a totally stripped down Cruze). The Sales guy also said that there were no plans of launching a diesel new Aveo in the near future.

Expecting a 2liter engine in the new Aveo seems a tad optimistic.

-------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If one is being driven around, then why not the Altis diesel. Low displacement/power will never be a concern then, as you would be in a back seat wont care who is overtaking outside!
+1 . IMO, Altis the most practical car to own in that price segment, if one wants to be driven around and is not the kind to have one's chauffeur to rush through the highways. Good FE, cabin, finish, no-nonsense simple maintenance, longevity of engine.
Old 18th June 2011, 17:24   #285
BHPian

Arrow How about some thoughts on the New Verna and the soon to be launched Fiesta

Guys, we have been a bit too focused on the Optra (blame me ). How about some comparisons about the New Verna (and new Fiesta) with the other cars in the segment.

I have not driven them so can't add much here, but would be good to hear other's views and comparisons. It could lead to some fruitful discussions.

Anyone?
Closed Thread