Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2011, 14:29   #16
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The optra's value crashes by 50 percent in the first year itself. Spares should be available given there are decent number of optras on the roads but the biggest problem is its dated. Its still a good underrated product though. I am talking about the to-be-launched-soon Verna RB, not the current verna.

Or else, search heard for a pre owned optra magnum TCDi. Get in touch with "chevrolet OK promise" or other pre owned dealers. Why not start your search for a pre owned Cruze? Try hard and you can find some. But if spares should be a concern, wait for the Verna RB. Just 15-20 days more.
Thanks for the prompt replies fellows.

Since I intend to keep the car for some 5-7 years, initial price crashes become irrelevant, except being tempted to look for a used car.

I did make some preliminary searches on a few online sites for a used Optra, however there seemed to be far too few to have a realistic chance of getting a good car. A pre-owned Cruze - Now that is an interesting idea, but do you think I could get it in my budget? (max stretch of 9L for something exceptional).

Am weary of going in for used cars, as have been swindled in the past on a car and a mo-bike in the past. Also, going in for a car in a higher price bracket (Cruze) also means I would have higher upkeep costs. A Cruze is mouth-watering though. Even willing to ignore the poor headroom at the back, for the wonderful car that it is.

Am not in a mad rush to buy the car. But how things happen at our end - we often end up mulling over purchase for long and then suddenly end up buying it in a rush. I know it is crazy!

Waiting for the beautiful looking new Verna for a few weeks surely seems to make sense.

About the Optra spares, what scenario do u forecast for the next 5-7 years?
Poitive is offline  
Old 3rd April 2011, 14:33   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 80
Thanked: 25 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

@sidindica you are correct about Optra. Thats my concern also. I am not sure though about the aspect of resale value if you want to keep a car for 7 years more.

Being a defence officer I am getting Optra LT 2.0 TDCI for 7.9lakhs(ex-showroom) from defence canteen. That price is actually making me salivate.
The price of Cruze LT is 9.9 lakhs.
I can't find too many reasons for extra 2 lakhs for base model of Cruze.

Last edited by Highflyer : 3rd April 2011 at 14:56. Reason: Correcting the model of car
Highflyer is offline  
Old 3rd April 2011, 14:39   #18
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
@sidindica you are correct about Optra. Thats my concern also. I am not sure though about the aspect of resale value if you want to keep a car for 7 years more.

Being a defence officer I am getting Optra LT for 7.9lakhs(ex-showroom) from defence canteen. That price is actually making me salivate.
The price of Cruze LT is 9.9 lakhs.
I can't find too many reasons for extra 2 lakhs for base model of Cruze.
Highflier, Very simplistic Magnum-Cruze comparison:

Magnum- Price, Rear seat more spacious, Better Headroom at the back, probably more comfortable (especially if chauffeur driven)

Cruze- Much better Handling, better pickup, new, stunning looks (especially from the front), gizmos, potentially lesser *** issues over it's life span. Make sure you TD it. Is wonderful.
Poitive is offline  
Old 3rd April 2011, 20:20   #19
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The problem with the optra is that its now an 8 year old product. The engine is 4 years old, but the chassis is the same Daewoo Nubira engineered in 2002. Second, the depreciation rate stinks like anything, even if the car is gonna be kept for 6-7 years. There are newer and better choices available then whats the point of the optra? The car's time has gone and it should be phased out. GM should come out with a stripped down Cruze LS for 2 lakhs less.
What if the likely scenario if a stripped down Cruze and a new Aveo is launched? Will the Optra co-exist at a lower price point, or will the price gap between the new Aveo and the stripped down Cruze be too narrow to have another (dated) product in that price band?
Poitive is offline  
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:38   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 80
Thanked: 25 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Poitive I posed a similar question to Chevrolet on facebook. Still waiting for a reply.
Aveo and Cruze have a very wide gap that has been filled rightly by Optra.
Now the issue is whether GM wants to kill Optra or resurrect it with an upgrade.
Optra is selling 200-300 cars per month and upgrade of few basic features and aggressive marketing could propel it to more than 500 cars per month which I think is a decent number.

But thats the view of a person with the motive of getting the best bang for his buck.

What GM has in mind remains a big guess.
Since most of the companies are launching a product in that bracket, I only hope that GM comes out and either says quits or upgrades it.
Highflyer is offline  
Old 3rd April 2011, 23:18   #21
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The optra's value crashes by 50 percent in the first year itself. Spares should be available given there are decent number of optras on the roads but the biggest problem is its dated. Its still a good underrated product though. I am talking about the to-be-launched-soon Verna RB, not the current verna.

Or else, search heard for a pre owned optra magnum TCDi. Get in touch with "chevrolet OK promise" or other pre owned dealers. Why not start your search for a pre owned Cruze? Try hard and you can find some. But if spares should be a concern, wait for the Verna RB. Just 15-20 days more.
Sinindica, Can you please tell us more about the Chevrolet OK promise? I thought it was some sort of a guarantee that Chevy offered to it's customers regarding maximum they would spend on maintaining the car. From your post it seems it is some sort of a pre-owned car division of Chevy. If yes, please share whatever details you have on this. Thanks.
Poitive is offline  
Old 3rd April 2011, 23:37   #22
BHPian
 
nitin.rai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 327
Thanked: 235 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Listen to the heart:
1. Vento HL TDI.
2. 2011 Fiesta TDCi (awaited).

Heady heart mix:
1. 2011 Verna RB (awaited).

Listen to the head:
1. Make everything else wait - SX4 DDiS.
2. Manza MJD.
nitin.rai is offline  
Old 4th April 2011, 00:04   #23
BHPian
 
drive_or_die's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: KA 51/ PB 25
Posts: 87
Thanked: 10 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

I do not want to influence the decision here, but I and 5 other friends of mine in Bangalore had similar question to answer. All of us have bought Optras in last 6-8 months and most recent March 2011, so I would say if you like the car...do not think much.

It should not happen as "analysis and analysis lead to paralysis". I would say, go out & get it...all the best!

And on availability of spare parts, afa my knowledge goes as per Motor Vehicle Act, car manufacturer is bound to make spare parts available in market for a period of 15 years from last day of sale of a given model...pls correct me if I am wrong here.

Last edited by drive_or_die : 4th April 2011 at 00:08.
drive_or_die is offline  
Old 4th April 2011, 11:17   #24
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
Listen to the heart:
1. Vento HL TDI.
2. 2011 Fiesta TDCi (awaited).

Heady heart mix:
1. 2011 Verna RB (awaited).

Listen to the head:
1. Make everything else wait - SX4 DDiS.
2. Manza MJD.
Vento HL is out of budget. The TL is within a very stretched budget. However the cabin is very tight. Could not even sit straight in the rear seat (am 6')

Any idea about when the New Fiesta and New Verna are expected and if the cabins is likely to be amply bigger than the current ones, which are pretty cramped? Any resources you have on the new Fiesta and Verna are welcome.

The SX4 seems to have little over the Manza and is priced much higher.
Poitive is offline  
Old 4th April 2011, 13:49   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 80
Thanked: 25 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

I think @drive_or_die has made a very valid point.
If you like something and people who own it say that its good, then there are only few ifs and buts left.
I am almost a part of this gang of Optra owners. Almost because I have to sort out some
issues before I book one.
Highflyer is offline  
Old 4th April 2011, 16:54   #26
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_or_die View Post
I do not want to influence the decision here, but I and 5 other friends of mine in Bangalore had similar question to answer. All of us have bought Optras in last 6-8 months and most recent March 2011, so I would say if you like the car...do not think much.

It should not happen as "analysis and analysis lead to paralysis". I would say, go out & get it...all the best!

And on availability of spare parts, afa my knowledge goes as per Motor Vehicle Act, car manufacturer is bound to make spare parts available in market for a period of 15 years from last day of sale of a given model...pls correct me if I am wrong here.

Drive or Die, I did see your posts. Even liked the colour you chose. There have been stories of Fiats lying in workshops due to spares not being available. Such things scare me. Any information on spares availability for discontinued models or how long the Optra is likely to be in production would be valuable.

Had I been looking for a car in this price bracket, would have been easier to take the plunge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
I think @drive_or_die has made a very valid point.
If you like something and people who own it say that its good, then there are only few ifs and buts left.
I am almost a part of this gang of Optra owners. Almost because I have to sort out some
issues before I book one.
There is a chance that I'll go through my phase of being unsure and then will probably end up joining the magnum gang! Or maybe will listen to my head and end up with the Manza or SX4.
Poitive is offline  
Old 4th April 2011, 20:25   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 265 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
GM should come out with a stripped down Cruze LS for 2 lakhs less.
That will be a blinder. Will beat the hell out of vento/sx4/linea/verna ie a segment below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
From your points i see that space and driving pleasure are most important for you.

Manza : Sheer Space
New Fiesta : Sheer driving pleasure but less backseat space
New Verna : Future Jack of all trades
Vento : Current Jack of all trades but less backseat space
No no no no no.
Vento is not only jack of all trades. It has the best performance here and the nicest gearshift. The engine triumphs over the others. Be it in the low revs, mid revs or high revs.
oxyzen is offline  
Old 4th April 2011, 20:41   #28
BHPian
 
rosh_aveo1.4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cochin, Kerala
Posts: 531
Thanked: 286 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

I own an Optra petrol, so I am not clear on the diesel part but I know for a fact that it's way more fun than any of the current diesel cars in the same price and keeping gizmo's one side (the only thing I think of that is missing is steering remote and non USB player), I am not sure there are currently any vehicles out there, that has:
1) the immense space,
2) the crazy engine power,
3) the comparitively lower maintenance (with the 3 year plan that comes with the car),
4) all disc brakes (not sure which car in it's price has it, save for Linea T Jet),
5) pretty sturdy build quality
6) stable ride quality

It may not be an actual driver's car like the Fiesta (the steering feel is not that communicative) but it does the job none the less.

So yes, it's old but in the same price range, I can't think of anything better.
It may be my opinion, but I just feel all other cars in it's price range, kind of feel a class lower. The Vento, which is so perfect, the only thing that detered me was it's space and it's overall size/presence in the road.

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 4th April 2011 at 20:48.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline  
Old 4th April 2011, 22:09   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 265 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Yes Optra is an excellent product marketed terribly. It had everything:
Torque,power,space,ride. Still no one has even come close to this car as of now.
320NM assures some serious pull. If only the lag was not present and the Handling was a bit better.
oxyzen is offline  
Old 5th April 2011, 00:44   #30
BHPian
 
nitin.rai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 327
Thanked: 235 Times
Default re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Vento HL is out of budget. The TL is within a very stretched budget. However the cabin is very tight. Could not even sit straight in the rear seat (am 6')

Any idea about when the New Fiesta and New Verna are expected and if the cabins is likely to be amply bigger than the current ones, which are pretty cramped? Any resources you have on the new Fiesta and Verna are welcome.

The SX4 seems to have little over the Manza and is priced much higher.
If you find the Vento cramped (not that it is the most spacious) then you probably need to upgrade to the next segment.
I would safely presume that the new Fiesta & Verna RB (a.k.a. Accent worldwide) would NOT have more space than the Vento.

Considering your requirement and budget a Manza seems a good bet. Do TD; it is a great vehicle for the price.

Fiesta Interiors
Verna RB interiors
nitin.rai is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Diesel Sedan at 8L - 12L bracket? shan_jp Sedans 29 2nd February 2006 10:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks