Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 28th June 2011, 20:29   #331
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

@40% depreciation after 3 years. Sounds like it retains it value pretty decently.
Diesel cars almost always have a great resale value. and so the resale value conscious buyer is always better off buying a diesel. Yes you also have to factor in the premium you pay for the diesel engine, but it sort of balances itself off, what with the better mileage and cheaper fuel price. So the better resale value is truly the icing on the cake.
Old 29th June 2011, 11:21   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal98 View Post
Thanks a lot for your writeup. This is exactly what I was looking for. But are you sure about 6-8 months waiting for Vento? I was quoted 3 months about two weeks back (in Bangalore). 6-8 months is absolutely atrocious.

Your impressions about Magnum mirror my impressions. Absolutely great car, let down by GM's marketing and attitude. As others have pointed out, may be it's only in Bangalore where the dealers are not promoting it as much. Seems like no problem in Delhi etc.

Do keep us posted about final decision.
You're welcome In fact i have posted a very condensed writeup. If i write a complete review of each car i drove it will run into pages so i avoided doing so! (Example my post on the Verna in the TD thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2410083)

Yep i was quoted 6-8 months by Volkswagen Palace Cross for the Highline variant.

You're right its a pity that the car is not selling as well as it should be. If GM did some amount of marketing im sure it could sell far better!

Am planning to book the car next week to take delivery by July 15th. Will update this thread when that happens. Getting a total discount of 40k (Cash + Corp discount). Am negotiating for more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Firstly, Feel welcome to post on this thread. I have been encouraging guys to do so, so that this becomes a common sharing ground for diesels upto 12L (upto the New Verna price range) so that we don't have to juggle between threads.

Thanks for sharing your observations mate Am glad that this and smartcat's thread was of use.

Will respond properly later. Briefly - Optra is wonderful, especially if you aren't looking at resale and aren't too enamoured with gizmos. I too was rather concerned about it being discontinued, but it all seems to be a bit speculative and not based any concrete information. Even if it were to get discontinued, I'd be OK with purchasing it, if parts were assured. Comments on this thread (the sister Driven! thread) and elsewhere on this forum have given me reasonable confidence that it would not be a deal breaker. This car is WAY ahead of competition in basics (look out for Khoj's post in this thread - somewhere between pg. 10-14, or before.).

All the best.
Alright will do, thanks When are you planning to make your purchase btw?

Also have you done any research on the CPOCC package (3 year maintenance package). I was quoted 31499 for the package and it includes all labour and consumables for 3 years/45k km (expect battery and tyres). From what i have read till now its not much of a saving and not worth blocking 30k for. Any thoughts?

Edit: One more thing, i felt that the old alloy design looked far better (the multi spoke one). The current ones look rather boring! Any idea if those are still available?

Last edited by radiokidb : 29th June 2011 at 11:31. Reason: Added a sentence
Old 29th June 2011, 11:27   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
Also have you done any research on the CPOCC package (3 year maintenance package). I was quoted 31499 for the package and it includes all labour and consumables for 3 years/45k km (expect battery and tyres). From what i have read till now its not much of a saving and not worth blocking 30k for. Any thoughts?
How much would it typically cost you to keep the car serviced regularly? Can anyone give an estimate of cost to be incurred on mandatory servicing?

IMO you should take the package as it would take care of the compulsory expenses as well as any expenditure due to unforeseen failures.
Old 29th June 2011, 13:46   #334
BHPian

Quote:
You're welcome In fact i have posted a very condensed writeup. If i write a complete review of each car i drove it will run into pages so i avoided doing so!

============
Quick note -
An elaborate writeup would be very much welcome. If you find the time, please do share.

IIRC from my talk with the sales guys a couple of months back, for diesels only 2yrs/50k was available. It was for 27-28k. Was told that the normal maintenance in this period would be about 32k. If it did go beyond that, it would be covered by Chevy promise and the extra spend would be returned by Chevy (he said it is cumbersome, but that may be to try and sell the maintenance package to me).

Primary reason to go in for the package would be peace of mind.
Old 29th June 2011, 13:50   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
How much would it typically cost you to keep the car serviced regularly? Can anyone give an estimate of cost to be incurred on mandatory servicing?

IMO you should take the package as it would take care of the compulsory expenses as well as any expenditure due to unforeseen failures.
Yes, I will also take this CPCO package even if it is costing 30K. Anyways, if we look at it, we are getting a cash discount of 30k and paying 30k extra for this CPCO package. These will nullify each other and just assume that we have not got any cash discount. There were some T-BHPians who have reported some major repair works taken by this package (like fuel pump failures etc.). Also there is one more thing, if you buy CPCO, the warranty automatically shoots up to 5 years/ 100,000KM (this by itself is a boon).

IMO this is to be taken, just like the mediclaim insurance we use to buy. My father always insists (and he never buys) that we should not buy mediclaim as that money only comes if we fall sick and it is better not to fall ill than to recover it!!!. Not sure if his argument is right or wrong, I always buy mediclaim for my parents which is never utilised in last 8-9 years (and I pray let it get lapsed !!!). So IMO it is better to spend this 30K and then have peace of mind for the next 3 years.
Old 29th June 2011, 14:22   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Quick note -
An elaborate writeup would be very much welcome. If you find the time, please do share.

IIRC from my talk with the sales guys a couple of months back, for diesels only 2yrs/50k was available. It was for 27-28k. Was told that the normal maintenance in this period would be about 32k. If it did go beyond that, it would be covered by Chevy promise and the extra spend would be returned by Chevy (he said it is cumbersome, but that may be to try and sell the maintenance package to me).

Primary reason to go in for the package would be peace of mind.
Will try and do the writeup sometime later today if i find time

I remember that the salesperson clearly told me it was 45k/3 years but i didnt check for further details. Will check again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
Yes, I will also take this CPCO package even if it is costing 30K. Anyways, if we look at it, we are getting a cash discount of 30k and paying 30k extra for this CPCO package. These will nullify each other and just assume that we have not got any cash discount. There were some T-BHPians who have reported some major repair works taken by this package (like fuel pump failures etc.). Also there is one more thing, if you buy CPCO, the warranty automatically shoots up to 5 years/ 100,000KM (this by itself is a boon).

So IMO it is better to spend this 30K and then have peace of mind for the next 3 years.
Are you sure that the warranty gets increased to 5 yrs/100k km?? If so then it is a no brainer, will take it for sure!

And about the fuel pump issue you have mentioned, wouldnt that be covered under warranty anway? Not only fuel pump, any major items which fail would have to be covered by the warranty.

But anyway you are right about the peace of mind factor. I would not have to worry about anything to do with the car for the next three years (as i would be taking 0% depreciation insurance as well), so most likely would be going for it.
Old 29th June 2011, 15:00   #337
BHPian

I do not think the warranty gets increased to 5 years / 100k kms. By taking the CPCO you get 3 years / 45k kms Chevy promise only. I would still recommend it.

Link: Chevrolet commitments & promises on different carlines
Old 29th June 2011, 15:04   #338
BHPian

I just saw a sparkling white Optra in Infantry road bangalore. One thing that caught my attention is the box right above the right side rear wheel. What is it?

Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L-imag0182.jpg
Old 29th June 2011, 15:13   #339
BHPian

I got the vehicle with CPCO and they charged me around Rs. 27, 500 to 28,000 for the same. My reasons to go for it are

1. It covers service cost for 3 years or 45000 kms (including the warranty period of 2 years)
2. It takes care of your regular oil change and labour charges for all service. Am not sure if it covers the cost for water wash. Oil change is recommended in the first 5000 kms then once every 10000 kms subsequently. Optra uses Mineral Oil which could cost approx around 2500 to 3000 to drain and replace once.
3. You will get service at the intervals of 1st month, 6th month and 6months from the previous services for 3 years or 45000 kms which makes it 10 services (1st month + once every 6 months for 3 years).
4. Considering 5 Oil changes (Aprox Rs. 15000), Atleast Rs. 500 - 1000 as labour charges as average (Rs. 5000 to Rs. 10000 over 10 services)

This makes it around Rs. 20000 - Rs. 25000 in itself. The additional amount is for any parts worn out in the usual cycle of 30000 kms.

I think it made sense to me given the above and hence i opted for it.

In addition they also give you 3 coupons for free wheel alignment which covers another Rs. 1500

Last edited by visweshkalambur : 29th June 2011 at 15:17. Reason: gramatical error...
visweshkalambur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 15:15   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
I just saw a sparkling white Optra in Infantry road bangalore. One thing that caught my attention is the box right above the right side rear wheel. What is it?

Attachment 568945
That should be the petrol tank lid.
Old 29th June 2011, 15:15   #341
BHPian

@ Prabhu Ferrari - Its the fuel tank cap for fuel refilling?

Mods.. apologies for the back to back replies. Noticed Prabhuferrari's questions after posting.
Old 29th June 2011, 15:18   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
That should be the petrol tank lid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by visweshkalambur View Post
@ Prabhu Ferrari - Its the fuel tank cap for fuel refilling?

Mods.. apologies for the back to back replies. Noticed Prabhuferrari's questions after posting.
Is it on the right side of the car? For my Esteem its on the left side. I dont remember seeing fuel lid on right side for many cars. Bit confused
Old 29th June 2011, 15:30   #343
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the petrol tank opening by design is kept on the side opposite from the driver's seat. Since Optra was initially a LHD the Petrol lid was on the right and this has been retained even though the car is configured as RHD for our market.

Japan is a RHD country just like ours so their cars always get it on the correct side(for us) that is the left.

You can see a similar anomaly in the wiper/light stalks combination.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 15:37   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by visweshkalambur View Post
I got the vehicle with CPCO and they charged me around Rs. 27, 500 to 28,000 for the same. My reasons to go for it are

1. It covers service cost for 3 years or 45000 kms (including the warranty period of 2 years)
2. It takes care of your regular oil change and labour charges for all service. Am not sure if it covers the cost for water wash. Oil change is recommended in the first 5000 kms then once every 10000 kms subsequently. Optra uses Mineral Oil which could cost approx around 2500 to 3000 to drain and replace once.
3. You will get service at the intervals of 1st month, 6th month and 6months from the previous services for 3 years or 45000 kms which makes it 10 services (1st month + once every 6 months for 3 years).
4. Considering 5 Oil changes (Aprox Rs. 15000), Atleast Rs. 500 - 1000 as labour charges as average (Rs. 5000 to Rs. 10000 over 10 services)

This makes it around Rs. 20000 - Rs. 25000 in itself. The additional amount is for any parts worn out in the usual cycle of 30000 kms.

I think it made sense to me given the above and hence i opted for it.

In addition they also give you 3 coupons for free wheel alignment which covers another Rs. 1500
Thanks for the details, viswesh. That answers my query regarding the minimum expenses. It does make sense to opt for the CPCO.
Old 29th June 2011, 16:39   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Yes, the petrol tank opening by design is kept on the side opposite from the driver's seat. Since Optra was initially a LHD the Petrol lid was on the right and this has been retained even though the car is configured as RHD for our market.

Japan is a RHD country just like ours so their cars always get it on the correct side(for us) that is the left.

You can see a similar anomaly in the wiper/light stalks combination.
Thank you. I was aware of the wiper/light combination but did not know that such a thing existed for the fuel tank as well

Good I realized now. Would have wondered how to fill the fuel after buying the car!!
Closed Thread