Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 3rd July 2011, 22:00   #391
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal98 View Post
Called up VW today to inquire about the booking amount etc. The booking amount for Vento diesel is 75k and the cancellation penalty is only 2k. Seems pretty reasonable.
Extremely reasonable, you would think they would take 5K atleast.
Atleast VW got some part of their sales right. I have heard folks and quite a few of their not so pleasant visits to the VW showrooms.
Old 4th July 2011, 00:15   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Called up VW today to inquire about the booking amount etc. The booking amount for Vento diesel is 75k and the cancellation penalty is only 2k. Seems pretty reasonable.
Cancellation penalty? Reasonable!

Guys there is no such thing as cancellation penalty in the automotive world. If you are being advised so then you are simply being taken for a ride. Stand your ground and tell the sales guy in no uncertain terms that the same is not acceptable and that will be the last you hear of such nonsense.
Old 4th July 2011, 01:17   #393
BHPian

Quote:
When I had gone for the 'Fluidic' Verna's TD, was told that the cancellation would cost 3k. The reports seem to vary and may be just another trick dealers try to pull on us. If I were in that situation, I would try Khoj's recommendation below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

Guys there is no such thing as cancellation penalty in the automotive world. If you are being advised so then you are simply being taken for a ride. Stand your ground and tell the sales guy in no uncertain terms that the same is not acceptable and that will be the last you hear of such nonsense.
If you must agree to cancellation charged, it may be a good idea to have it put down on paper. Though for a totally different issue, a member (Raj) had a bad enough experience on a salesman's commitments not being honoured while purchasing a Tata, that he decided not to buy a Tata at all!
Old 4th July 2011, 11:28   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

I guess it's mainly to deter the undecided buyers who might book the car early to avoid waiting and then decide later whether to buy it or not. If enough people start doing that, the dealers would end up with a pile of unsold cars. 2-3k anyway is not enough money to bolster any dealership's bottom-line.
Old 4th July 2011, 13:34   #395
BHPian

@ Bansal - I read your point. This morning when i was driving my optra to work, i recollected what you said and tried to drive over speed breakers in the second gear. I did not face any issue. The issue happens only when you halt or almost halt and then want to move in second gear. Otherwise, I have checked and i do not have the problem of the vehicle stalling. There might be few times where you need to use half clutch (which is not good for the clutch though).

Moderators sorry for back to back post. Earlier one was addressing bansal ji's query and this is addressing a different area.

Was reading through the June sales analysis... Optra lovers.. you would like to see the numbers.. Optra has been selling more than the Civic for the past four months.

Numbers given below in the order of March, April, May & June

Optra - 270 368 240 241 (Total 1119)
Civic - 379 253 190 175 (Total 971)

This surprised me, pleasantly though.

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th July 2011 at 12:08. Reason: Back to back posts. Please wait for 30 Mins before next post or use EDIT button to make changes to existing post.
Old 4th July 2011, 13:55   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by visweshkalambur View Post
@ Bansal - I read your point. This morning when i was driving my optra to work, i recollected what you said and tried to drive over speed breakers in the second gear. I did not face any issue. The issue happens only when you halt or almost halt and then want to move in second gear. Otherwise, I have checked and i do not have the problem of the vehicle stalling. There might be few times where you need to use half clutch (which is not good for the clutch though).
How did you find the pick up/acceleration just after crossing the speed-breaker? Please recollect and try to give an unbiased answer

Also, the bigger speed-breakers, which are smoother and have graceful ramps, are no problem. It's only the smaller ones which are "sharp" that cause the problem.

Last edited by bansal98 : 4th July 2011 at 13:58.
Old 4th July 2011, 14:42   #397
BHPian

Bansalji...the pick up after crossing the speedbreaker is gradual. That is because of the taller gear, you would be in lower RPM. Sharp bumps...you would have to literally halt and hence only first gear...
Old 4th July 2011, 21:24   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
i agree the indicator stalks on the side of the gear lever can get irritating. It takes some time to get used to. But now it's pretty much second fiddle for me.
The matiz i drive is configured this way and is a manual.
The Civic i drive is configured properly for Indian conditions and is an AT.
But yet i manage to drive both without goofing up the indicator and wiper stalks etc.
So it's just a matter of getting use to it. I have seen my driver try and use the indicator in the matiz but actually reached for the indicator stalks. He got a few shocks what with the sudden wiper movement at Hi-speed. But eventually he got used to it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
I see this as a safety issue mdsaab
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
That's so true, and I think this topic has come up in many other threads as well. I personally am so acclimatized to having the indicator stalks on the left. On this topic, I read an interesting comment (not sure in which thread), that the indicator stalks on the left is better from a safety point of view, because it kind of ensure that your right hand is always on the steering wheel
As we know, the Optra has it's indicator stalks on the left. Just expressed my views extensively on another thread (vb may have talked of the same one). Link here

-----------------

For those deciding between a diesel and petrol (or just cars with different FE)
Came across an old thread on the financial aspect of diesel vs petrol with a very well worked out excel sheet. It is here (*Attached* : Fuel cost calculator, including a comparison between Petrol & Diesel)
A VERY worthwhile read, even if you car comparing cars on the same fuel and with different FE.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 22:53   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess it's mainly to deter the undecided buyers who might book the car early to avoid waiting and then decide later whether to buy it or not. If enough people start doing that, the dealers would end up with a pile of unsold cars. 2-3k anyway is not enough money to bolster any dealership's bottom-line.
Couple of facts about the car dealerships way of operating

Fact1.

While it is true that 2-3K is not enough money to either bolster a company's bottom line and neither it is going to pinch an average car buyer it remins a known fact that the dealerships from Maruti to Mercedes will fight you tooth and nail over a measly 100 bucks too.

Fact2

The dealership does not order stocks based upon confirmed orders. They have to pick up a certain minimum level of stocks every calendar month in various variants and colours based on what batch has been produced at the plant. You will find the forum full of people saying that they opted for colour X instead of Y at the last moment due to delivery / longer waiting etc. You think that would be the case if the dealers were ordering vehicles specific to orders received.

If anything you may want to ask your dealer to compensate you for the interest lost on the booking amount held by them beyond a reasonable period. Try it you may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 5th July 2011, 01:44   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by visweshkalambur View Post
Moderators sorry for back to back post. Earlier one was addressing bansal ji's query and this is addressing a different area.

Was reading through the June sales analysis... Optra lovers.. you would like to see the numbers.. Optra has been selling more than the Civic for the past four months.

Numbers given below in the order of March, April, May & June

Optra - 270 368 240 241 (Total 1119)
Civic - 379 253 190 175 (Total 971)

This surprised me, pleasantly though.
I am sorry but I failed to understand the logic behind comparing sales figures of Optra to that of Civic? Both cars belong to different segments. Civic would cost 4-5 lacs more than an Optra.

Please refer to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2417023 (June 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures). The only entry level C segment car that Optra beats is Lancer/Cedia.

Optra might be a good VFM car but comparing it with Civic is little too much.

Also request you to stop posting same message on different threads please. This is the third thread I am reading this message.
Old 5th July 2011, 08:45   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
I am sorry but I failed to understand the logic behind comparing sales figures of Optra to that of Civic? Both cars belong to different segments. Civic would cost 4-5 lacs more than an Optra.

Please refer to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2417023 (June 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures). The only entry level C segment car that Optra beats is Lancer/Cedia.

Also request you to stop posting same message on different threads please. This is the third thread I am reading this message.
Maybe it’s a size-wise comparison. On a price point, the newer generation of Optra (Cruze) is the right comparison for Civic. Optra and Civic comparison is like comparing Fiesta Classic with a Vento.

Note: I think you can report the post if you find serious post duplication across various threads.
Old 5th July 2011, 09:52   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz

Rock -

I guess the reasons why Viswesh compared the Optra with the Civic were looking at the following aspects:

1) Pricing difference for about the same interior space, one stands @ 2600 mm and the other @ 2700 mm wheelbase.

2) Honda the so called segment leader with it's global product is selling less in numbers to not so hot selling Optra.

3) The tech specs (slightly higher BHP on the Civic but in terms or torque, the Optra beats the Civic blue and black) are comparable but the price difference is huge.

4) I own neither but can safely assume that the maintenance cost would be in the same ball park.

Basically what I think he was trying to convey was:

1)Optra is not a dud, it sells more than the ICONIC GLOBAL HONDA CIVIC, the only thing is there is hoopla created around it. (reasons galore, if we start discussing it might run into pages).

2) And, and the Honda products are over hyped and over priced (we have many a threads going on this on the forum and the recent price cuts on the City just bolster the point stated above).

On the posting the same message on multiple forums part, I guess he might have done it for the sake of others, there are many a people around who might not go through this thread (no offences here Poitive ) but might look at the other threads.

To top it all we have fantastic MODS to highlight this issue and had there been one, there would have been infractions against his name by now.

PS: No offences to the Civic owners, it is a wonderful product in itself.
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 10:15   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
@Bansal, in case you haven't, you should TD the 'Fludic' Verna too. You may love how it drives.
Are you sure about this? The official TBHP review for ANHV specifically mentions the much greater turbo lag when compared to Vento. But if you are referring to the petrol version, it may be true but I have no idea about that and no intention of buying a petrol sedan.
Old 5th July 2011, 11:41   #404
BHPian

@ Torquedo - Thank you for stepping in and clarifying the reason for my post.

@ Rock 'n' rollz - Just because the two cars are at the different price point, it does nt mean that they are not in the same platform for comparioson. As Torquedo has mentioned, look at the size of the car, interior space, engine block, power and you would see that both fit into the same bucket. I read in the newspaper recently that Honda was able to reduce the price of City due to optimization through the supply chain. Do you mean to say that the Honda plant can achieve this only for the City and not for the Civic? In my opinion the Civic is definitely over priced. I do not see any lack of logic to have compared the Optra and the Civic.

Like Torquedo said, it also proves that Optra ain't a dudd afterall, with all the futuristic looks that Civic has and the lovely design on interiors and for all it s merits, it does nt sell well now, which is a point in itself that its high time Honda prices its car well. Competitors ain't sleeping any longer.

I have no offense to the Civic owners. It is a fantastic product in itself.
Old 5th July 2011, 15:13   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure about this? The official TBHP review for ANHV specifically mentions the much greater turbo lag when compared to Vento. But if you are referring to the petrol version, it may be true but I have no idea about that and no intention of buying a petrol sedan.
I have taken a long TD of the Verna SX CRDi (25kms approx) & have also driven a friend's Vento TDi Highline (but within the office premises, not going beyond 3rd gear), so can't really compare the two. As said earlier, the Vento produces the peak torque (of 250Nm) in the rpm band of 1500-2500, whereas the Verna produces the peak torque (of 265Nm) in the rpm band of 1900-2750. However 90% of the peak toruqe (whis comes to 238Nm) is produced @ 1500 rpm which is decent enough to pull the car effortlessly in low revs. On my TD of Verna I had 5 adults & 1 kid & AC ON @ Blower speed 3 & the car pulled without any fuss, the second gear was very impressive. The point I want to make here is that I could not feel any kind of turbo lag & the accelerator was responsive, giving you enough thrust to pull ahead when required. So I would definitely recommend you to TD the Verna before making a final decision.
Closed Thread