Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 17th July 2011, 12:44   #481
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Thank you vb-san for the inputs. So far my short listed cars are Optra Magnum, ANHC AT and Fiesta provided the test drive makes me feel good. I want a very comfortable sedan petrol or diesel around 12L budget. Since am going for a company lease planning to keep it for 5 years. Does anyone know how good Fluence is?
Well, the suggestions really depends on your requirements.

In general, my recommendation is this Ė if youíre going to keep the car for 5 years, get the City or the new Fiesta. If itís going to be self-driven predominantly, the Fiesta make sense (and personally I prefer the petrols from Ford), and if itís going to be an even mix of self-driven and backseat driving, then go for the City.

Why Fiesta & City: Mainly because both are current generation cars, and
will surely hold its charm for next 3-4 years (Fiesta looks modern as it is new, and the City is indeed a very elegant looking car, and has got some kind of anti-ageing effects applied on).

Why I excluded Optra: Good looking car with clean lines, and I got to know so many positives of the car from Poitiveís driving impressions. That said, I will recommend this only for those who is in the market for a spacious C+ segment sedan, but cannot stretch the budget.

I have nothing against the car, and I personally like its classic lines more than its successor Cruze, but itís a generation old. Same is the case with Fiesta Classic. Great car, but personally I will now recommend it only to those who are on a budget, but really want to get a FTD sedan.

On Fluence: A good car, and from the reviews, it has got one the better steering wheel in the segment. But more than the pricing, I have strong disagreement with the way the variants are laid out. Diesel is made to look super cheap (maybe to fight with Corolla D on pricing) and the Petrol only has one all beige expensive option with CVT. For me, that beige steering wheel alone is a deal-breaker.

Question: I have not gone through your previous posts. Sorry if you have mentioned this earlier. Any specific reason for excluding Vento TDI from your list?
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 12:58   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Well, the suggestions really depends on your requirements.

Question: I have not gone through your previous posts. Sorry if you have mentioned this earlier. Any specific reason for excluding Vento TDI from your list?
Vento's waiting time is too long right? Vento Petrol AT is tempting yes. But I would definitely need to invest more on ICE, Parking sensors etc. Am not very satisfied with the equipment levels offered at that price.

Coming to another question of yours, mine will be self driven 100 %. 85 % of the time myself alone, 10 % with me and wife and 5 % with parents. And from next Feb with my junior So comfort and jerk free ride is of primary importance. And yeah, my current car is an Esteem VXi
Old 17th July 2011, 13:03   #483
BHPian

[quote=Poitive;2432718

Thanks for sharing the TD experience Prabhu. Am adding comments to some points below, in bold.

[/QUOTE]

The brochure is a photo copy one and the date is Feb 2009. Maybe an old brochure
Old 17th July 2011, 13:06   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congrats on your decision. It's a great car. Btw, I know someone folks in KUN and can "try" to see if some more price can be reduced or more freebies can be added.

Also, do check out yesterday's DC paper. Seems there was an advertisement of offer on Optra.
Neki and ask ask? I remember you mentioned that you knew someone at KUN earlier and I had that in mind when I visited KUN, Kavadiguda yesterday. The SE i was dealing with was Krishna Goud. Though I was not sure whether he is the same guy you dealt with earlier, I told him you were my friend and asked him whether he remembered you

If it is not too much trouble, can you please speak to your contact and ask for the bestest price? Thanks in advance.
Old 17th July 2011, 13:13   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Vento's waiting time is too long right? Vento Petrol AT is tempting yes. But I would definitely need to invest more on ICE, Parking sensors etc. Am not very satisfied with the equipment levels offered at that price.
I guess with other players like Hyundai Verna emerging, the waiting time should be relatively low (compared to earlier days). But yes, the car is a bit skinny on equipment levels. But being a VW, the build quality should be quite immaculate.

Quote:
Coming to another question of yours, mine will be self driven 100 %. 85 % of the time myself alone, 10 % with me and wife and 5 % with parents. And from next Feb with my junior So comfort and jerk free ride is of primary importance. And yeah, my current car is an Esteem VXi
If I am in this scenario my first preference will be the New Fiesta Titanium, followed by the Honda City (reasons as mentioned in the previous post). Both the cars can serve you well in the stock form, and comes with all basic safety features across all trims. Safety is such an important aspect, especially with the arrival of the Junior.

And yes, congratulations in advance for the arrival of the new backseat traveler, and whichever car you choose, do invest in a good child seat!

Edit: Just a suggestion – if the Junior is expected in next Feb, try to get the new car at least by October so that you and your wife are comfortable with the new drive (and its features) much before the arrival of the newborn.

Last edited by vb-san : 17th July 2011 at 13:16. Reason: Note added
Old 17th July 2011, 16:35   #486
Tgo
BHPian

In the June 2011 car sales figures. Optra is not even being talked about. I agree the Fiesta launch and the Fluidic Verna have taken the limelight but someone should have come up and said, "Look, for those who can't wait for 5 months the Optra is quite the perfect car" selling less than the Cruze is definitely not a good sign. Anything above 600 cars a month consistently, is decent sales for a diesel sedan in India, not the figure 300.

Maybe it just needs a face-lift. The interiors need some juice on the equipment front. And wood finish doesn't work anymore.

Have heard, reverse sensors/cameras are being thrown in as freebies. This only happens to vehicles which are about to be phased out. I can't live with a brand new phased out vehicle. Having run a Qualis for 10 years till its death, another 10 years with a phased out vehicle will be torture.

Within 2 years - there will be no more Optra Magnum.
Old 17th July 2011, 17:29   #487
Tgo
BHPian

Just spoke to Triumph Motors, Jaipur.
Optra Magnum Diesel LT On road price: Rs. 10,85,000 and a discount of 25K can be availed of.

Whats the biggie, when the Verna CRDI 1.6 SX is 10,74,xxx with better equipment is a fresh model which is here to stay.

EDIT: And yes, the delivery will not take more than 10 days. BUT the guy also said that I don't have the Diesel LT version for TD, I'll get it tomorrow from the yard. Sounds like they are rotting there. And this person could have got me one car for TD, he should have had at least one car for TD considering he has 3 outlets in the city. Something wrong here?

Last edited by Tgo : 17th July 2011 at 17:37. Reason: Added info.
Old 17th July 2011, 17:42   #488
BHPian

This thread seems to have suddenly picked up pace. The Fiesta-pricing effect, it seems.

Yes, the Optra may not be around in two years. It may get phased out much sooner too. But who knows it may turn out to be like the M800, Santro, Accent etc. My guess is that it will last till Chevy has another diesel in this price point and they would not want to hurt the prospects of that car by this wonderful piece of engineering called the Optra Magnum.

Heck! I think they are even afraid that it'll hurt the Curze sales which is why they aren't going in for more advertizements and upgrades.

@Tgo, I guess this is a long enough thread to have gone through all of it. This has been talked about quite extensively in the thread. In fact, one of the major reasons to start the thread was to check on views on if this car was going to survive and if parts would be available. The general opinion seemed that parts should not be a problem and that was enough for me to want this car, for the other virtues it possess.

Check this post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post2379561 (Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L)

Add to that the recent TD I had (in the last 1-2 pages), look at this car for it's virtues not it's lack of 'bling' factor and try and take a call after a TD.

Yes, it may not work for you, given the sense of fatigue from driving an old model (Qualis). But if you derive pleasure from driving, you may still want the Optra - even if there wasn't a difference in waiting periods.

*Hey! I am in love with this car!!! LOL. Blinded by love? Maybe!*

EDIT:
Had more to say on the posts before, but will return to them later.
Just saw this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
EDIT: And yes, the delivery will not take more than 10 days. BUT the guy also said that I don't have the Diesel LT version for TD, I'll get it tomorrow from the yard. Sounds like they are rotting there. And this person could have got me one car for TD, he should have had at least one car for TD considering he has 3 outlets in the city. Something wrong here?
Mate, how it is supposed to be:
TD cars are to be provided by the company. The dealer is not supposed to use cars in his stock for Test Drives, even though the practice prevails. It is also quite an old model and this car is also not on many people's radars, hence TD vehicles are often not around all the time. Typically new car's TD vehicles are kept around and older one's may not be.

Last edited by Poitive : 17th July 2011 at 17:49.
Old 17th July 2011, 18:01   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Have heard, reverse sensors/cameras are being thrown in as freebies. This only happens to vehicles which are about to be phased out. I can't live with a brand new phased out vehicle. Having run a Qualis for 10 years till its death, another 10 years with a phased out vehicle will be torture.

Within 2 years - there will be no more Optra Magnum.

Tgo, when you said in 2 years there will be no Optra Magnum, is it because you have any inside information about it or is it your perception?

Regarding spares, I bought my Baleno in Oct / Nov 2006 and within few weeks / months of the purchase, Maruti introduced SX4 and stopped production of Baleno. It is now well over 4 years since the model was discontinued and I never faced any issues as far as the spares are considered. When i buy my new car I intend to keep the Baleno as second family car, to be used by my wife and do not see any issue of availability of spares in future too.

While there has been talk of Optra Magnum being replaced with another model (infact that was the question Poitive asked when he started this thread) there is neither concrete information in the market / among dealers nor any confirmation from GM so far. And incase it happens (I sincerely hope not), I guess I will live with it like how I did with Baleno.

PS: Are you sure 10,74,xxx is the OTR price of Verna Crdi SX model?

Last edited by NoRules : 17th July 2011 at 18:03.
Old 17th July 2011, 18:20   #490
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have heard, reverse sensors/cameras are being thrown in as freebies. This only happens to vehicles which are about to be phased out.
You maybe right, and maybe in a few weeks! but all that is speculation.

What are freebies? discounts. They happen when the Company wants the car to sell more [yes, because it is not selling as much as it should]. The vehicle being discontinued is one of the derivations, and just that.

By your logic, Honda City, which had a recent downwards price correction is on it's way.
Old 17th July 2011, 19:08   #491
Tgo
BHPian

My comments in bold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Tgo, when you said in 2 years there will be no Optra Magnum, is it because you have any inside information about it or is it your perception?

- Because this is my perception.

PS: Are you sure 10,74,xxx is the OTR price of Verna Crdi SX model?
- Yes, this is the price of the SX model with two airbags. There is only one higher model with 6 airbags, leather seats and electric start/stop. That is close to 1L costlier.

As far as I remember reading at a Toyota dealership some three years ago. Filters for a Qualis (discontinued) were costing more than that for the Innova. Not sure though. But I somehow remember reading something like this. Could someone live with spending more money for the upkeep of a discontinued car when the newer models are faring better? Not to mention the depreciation your old car has already gone through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
By your logic, Honda City, which had a recent downwards price correction is on it's way.
- We are talking about the diesel segment here. In which this car should be raging. VW, Hyundai, Maruti, Ford all have the audacity of not offering discounts. Their cars don't need free insurance/free service plans/25k cash discounts to sell.

I will be taking the test drive nonetheless.
Old 17th July 2011, 21:18   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
If I am in this scenario my first preference will be the New Fiesta Titanium, followed by the Honda City (reasons as mentioned in the previous post). Both the cars can serve you well in the stock form, and comes with all basic safety features across all trims. Safety is such an important aspect, especially with the arrival of the Junior.

And yes, congratulations in advance for the arrival of the new backseat traveler, and whichever car you choose, do invest in a good child seat!

Edit: Just a suggestion – if the Junior is expected in next Feb, try to get the new car at least by October so that you and your wife are comfortable with the new drive (and its features) much before the arrival of the newborn.
VB mirror your thoughts here. And what fantastic advice. I remember we did the same. Our baby was due early in the new year. And so we took delivery of our civic in july giving us enough time to get used to the car.
Now adding a little here. The comfort levels of a car are judged extremely well by a pregnant woman. So do follow your wife's advice regarding cabin comfort. Secondly do go for as many long drives and road trips as you can. For once the baby arrives, you are going to be really busy for atleast a couple of months.
And now.
Congratulations mate. You are going to be a father soon. Amazing feeling. Wishing you and your wife all the best. And good luck with choosing not only a new car but a car seat too. Btw mothercare has some decent ones.
Good luck once again.
Old 17th July 2011, 21:41   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by althaaf View Post
Please help immediately.
What news from you Althaaf? Any progress in the decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
IMHO the Chevy Promise package would really help and is a boon. I was told by opting for this, the warranty gets automatically extended (request you also to check on the same with your dealer).
Really really doubt the extension in extended warranty. This was discussed before. The sales guy may not have been informed well enough.

AFAIK there is a maintenance program which saves u a few grand by paying upfront and saving you from potential claim hassles and maintaining copies of repairs carried on as proof. It costs about 27-28k. The Chevy Promise is a guarantee Chevy that if the maintenance costs are over 32.xx k they would refund the amount if we claimed it. Extended warranty is charged separately.

Quote:
I had seen CASKA unit which is really good and goes very well in the Optra. This gives you all the required accessories like reverse parking sensor, bluetooth connectivity, etc in addition to a good DVD player with USB/ AUX connectivity etc.
It seems a standard Double DIN Head Unit should fit well in an Optra. CASKA with all it's features, should take care of a lot of what many people miss in an Optra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
@Poitive:- I am having 2 of my friends who wanted this feature (bluetooth connectivity & steering controls) badly and chose Linea over Optra solely for this feature. But after about 3-4 months, they have lost the interest in this bluetooth functionality and they are now using their bluetooth headsets while driving (but they won't give up the idea of talking while driving !!!). Another friend of mine who is an ardent Maruti fan (just for the reason of the A.S.S network) bought SX4 and bought a car bluetooth device (about Rs.2500) from Sony Ericsson which can be just clipped to the driver side sun visor and is using it to the maximum extent.

So, as you right pointed out, it is purely person dependent. IMHO, bluetooth connectivity can be used only if we are travelling alone in the car, else a bluetooth headset will do the duty. However, at the same time, I feel the music controls on the steering is good. Might be, I am liking it because my car does'nt have one. All put together, Optra is an Optra!!!! and I really love that car (minus it's horn which can be easily replaced).
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Poitive, The bluetooth is one feature I fell in love with. 3-4 years ago I was at Jakarta and saw this Sony Ericsson blue tooth handsfree kit in my friend's Camry and immediately purchased it. At that time I think it costed me some 8k INR. I got it installed in my Baleno and now, after 4 years, I just cannot do without it.
Ha ha! Buying the Linea in place of the Optra for this feature. By the way, IIRC, the Linea too had voice activated controls, which are being so much hyped in the New Fiesta. And they didn't have any issue with my desi accent, for the little bit that I tried it.

What also becomes quite obvious is that such gadgets can easily be added, though they may not offer the integration of an OE. CASKA may come pretty close though.

Quote:
The brochure is a photo copy one and the date is Feb 2009. Maybe an old brochure
Oh! That one is very old. The ones we had talked about on the thread were Sept/Oct 2010, IIRC.

For those looking to book the Optra, my guess is that a 35k-40k + a corporate discount of 10k should be quite manageable. 30k has been almost standard for many months in one guise or the other (free insurance or whatever). Some negotiations (mdsaab way?) should lead to another 5-10k. When I was close to picking up the car in between, had tried pushing the sales guy and my impression was that 10k was quite possible, if not more.

With the monsoons and lesser sales nowadays anyway, the company/dealers would rather discount a few grand, than hold their capital and to keep cash flow moving.
Old 17th July 2011, 21:43   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab

VB mirror your thoughts here. And what fantastic advice. I remember we did the same. Our baby was due early in the new year. And so we took delivery of our civic in july giving us enough time to get used to the car.
Now adding a little here. The comfort levels of a car are judged extremely well by a pregnant woman. So do follow your wife's advice regarding cabin comfort. Secondly do go for as many long drives and road trips as you can. For once the baby arrives, you are going to be really busy for atleast a couple of months.
And now.
Congratulations mate. You are going to be a father soon. Amazing feeling. Wishing you and your wife all the best. And good luck with choosing not only a new car but a car seat too. Btw mothercare has some decent ones.
Good luck once again.
Thanks a lot for the wishes. I went for test driving the ANHC AT today. It was an excellent experience and I felt very good. It was fun. Since it's early days I am looking at narrowing the choice to 2 and only then get my wife to accompany me for the test drive near home. I initially had more inclination towards diesel cars but now after the change in family situation want to give priority to comfort more than anything else.

Poitive,
Sorry for hijacking the thread. And what does Poitive mean by the way?
Old 17th July 2011, 21:51   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
I guess with other players like Hyundai Verna emerging, the waiting time should be relatively low (compared to earlier days). But yes, the car is a bit skinny on equipment levels. But being a VW, the build quality should be quite immaculate.

Thank you for the wishes and suggestions. I am planning to buy one as early as August. That's a good enough time I suppose. And that also gives me chance to take my wife to chennai on the GQ and drive back alone in the sports mode. He he. Just kidding. To say I am excited will be an understatement.
Closed Thread