Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 26th July 2011, 23:24   #541
BHPian

Default Re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
People,

Few mins ago I got an alert from a website about a new listing and it sounds sweet: 2009 model with 38k on odo, asking price of 6.5L (I would definitely negotiate) but the catch is it is listed in Bangalore and I live in Hyderabad. How difficult would it be for me to buy this car and get the proper paper work done? And how much would it cost me to get an AP registration?
6.5 lakhs + bangalore + optra = brraj. he has a thread on the magnum running. Refer to the snaps on page 6 and to the last page search team-bhp for brraj + optra. If it's not that can you share the link via pm. possibly someone can check it out for you if so desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
This thread has really become all about the Optra! Reading so many good things about this suddenly discovered car has made me to think if even GM ever took so much interest in this car.
i'm hoping to share the joys latest by mid next month if all things work out.

Last edited by optimist : 26th July 2011 at 23:31.
Old 27th July 2011, 01:39   #542
Senior - BHPian

Hey Poitive.
Been busy of late, and yes some of it has to do with the ANHC. You can check it out on the thread. your comments will be welcome.
Shall be back for more diesel action.
Drive Safe!
Old 27th July 2011, 09:12   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
6.5 lakhs + bangalore + optra = brraj. he has a thread on the magnum running. Refer to the snaps on page 6 and to the last page search team-bhp for brraj + optra. If it's not that can you share the link via pm. possibly someone can check it out for you if so desired.
Hi optimist,

It took me a while to understand what you were trying to say but after going through brraj's thread I got your point but I do not think it is the same car because this is what brraj said on the first page of his thread:

"Car has now done 46k kms and no sign of A/c problems." whereas the car I read about has done 38k kms.

I PMed you the link. Will it be possible for you to speak to the guy who posted the ad and if not too much trouble - check it out?

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th July 2011, 11:51   #544
BHPian

Default Re: Driven! - New Ford Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen
I think you must be having Ferrari and Lamborghini for your daily diet.
Mate, let's not get into the details of one's diet, specially looking at your "Handle"

Quote:
Trust me when I say this. Vento handles absolutely fine. Leave aside Optra (This was the other reason apart from age for considering Vento) even the Cruze fails to compete with Vento on the handling department.
Infact I have never been satisfies with 3 things from GM. Firstly their range of petrol engines, secondly their handling and lastly the gearshifts.
My friend, I had put in a couple of disclaimers, suggesting that the comparison was my POV.

Heck, GM petrol ????

Let me clarify your 3 doubts:

1) The whole discussion was on DIESEL'S, and we are talking about Optra Diesel.

No one on this thread here is talking about, Optra P, Aveo P, Beat P, ironical it may sound, but looking at your Avatar and profile you yourself are a Beat P owner.

2) Handling: Let me admit, I am no expert on the handling front but from the TD's that I have had, the Optra with all wheel independent suspension handled better than the Vento. I never said that the Vento was that bad.

3) Gear Shift: On the Aveo is not that good agreed. On the Optra D it is not that bad either, Vento Gear shift is class apart and I never debated on that part.

Quote:

Now price wise I think the Optra costs approx 8.5L & 9.5L. (not sure about the amount of discounts)
Whereas the Vento costs 8 and 9.3L.
Is GM really offering 2L discount? If it is then Optra is surely VFM.
Vento HL TDi - OTR Delhi - 10.76L
Vento TL TDi - OTR Delhi - 9.5L

Optra LS - OTR Delhi - 9L

HTH.

Happy Motoring !!
Old 27th July 2011, 13:58   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Althaaf, I can see the image of your old Santro in your profile. However the image under your handle is that of a "VW", so I guess you have put put your money on the VW (could be a Vento or a Jetta), just a wild guess. Please correct me if I am wrong here
Oops.. It seems you missed my old thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...evy-cruze.html (Took delivery of a VW Jetta, after considering the Chevy Cruze)
The santro in my gallery was the one i was using in college more than a year back, right now i use a getz there. And about VW image, we did a jetta shopping in last august, Jetta even completed its 15k first service now!! Right now i will be disappointing a lot of you with my new purchase Wait for the detailed review and assessment.
Old 27th July 2011, 14:29   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
@Poitive, Been following your thread ever since you started this and the other parallel one - do you plan on finalizing and buying a car?

All I see is you discussing various cars threads, while at the same time pushing the Optra to one and all; to an extent that one might almost place you as Optra salesman!

P.s. Apologies if the post seems sarcastic. Your discussions on most threads are quite valid & useful. Just that I keep wondering this aloud, and had to put it up!

Dear ninja_talli sir,

From your handle, one sees that you like humour!!! I do too.

Anyway, you got to be kidding me, if you thought that this thread was about my purchase only, especially since you have been following it and the driven thread. Seems you missed quite a bit. Would like to get your kind attention to page 11 and 15. Also the small Driven! thread we have.

Even before I started the thread or even became a member of Tbhp, I knew which car suited my needs (Optra Magnum). The thread was mainly to check on if the Otpra was likely to be discontinued (was a part of the title then) and check on A$$ (spares availability etc) and just in case I missed on some aspects on the cars I had already tested before joining Tbhp (this thread was created right on joining the team).

Yes, I do plan on buying a car.

About me touting this car on threads - Please hunt for a post by Klever on this thread (or rather DO follow the thread from the beginning, you will get clearer about many things). Also go through one interaction with our fairly regular writer now Vb-San, before he started writing here, on the Fluence thread. For your convenience the link is here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2408031 (Renault Fluence : Test Drive & Review)

@Rock 'n' rollz, with the thanks on the above post, it seems you seem to be reading this thread mate. I hope you didn't feel unwelcome or offended with all that bit about Civic-Optra. My attempt then was only to diffuse a situation/discussion and could just get you and some others with more bad taste. Hope to have more fruitful discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by integra98 View Post
Poitive! You have been a big (and good influence) in me shortlisting optra. I am trying to decide between an optra and Honda city automatic.

I have a specific query about the arm rest in the back seat. It did create quite a bit of Discomfort for the person sitting in the middle for our test drive. How did you all feel about the same? How comfortable is Optra back seat for 3 people on a long drive?

Thanks.
You are welcome, integra98. I am glad that this thread is meeting the renewed objective of it being a common sharing ground for people looking for (mainly diesel) cars in this segment.

Unfortunately, most of my TD's were a lot more focused on the front seat and I didn't pay enough attention to this aspect. Some other members may be able to help.

@SLK
, @Viswesh, @All - Please comment on the long distance comfort for the person in the centre of the rear bench on a long drive in an Optra.

Quote:
Well the first assumption behind my post was that money is not an issue. I agree that you can't compare Manza with an Altis. But the top end manza is almost in the base model of honda territory ( infact little more costly i guess).
-----------
Lastly I will again like to point out that the idea is not to ridicule Tata. But they really need to improve on these issues. Rectifying these will not even cost them very dearly I am sure. Its more to do with the attitude and willingness of the company. Untill then Tata will just remain a so called desi player in the market. They might sell modest number of Indicas ( taxi segment?) but they surely wont sell any Arias!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Quite an interesting debate between Poitive & drmohitg. Couldn't hold myself back as for the last 7+ years I have been experiencing a TATA product day in & day out. Though a bit off-topic hear, with your due permission Poitive I would like to share my thoughts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
Not able to hold back from this discussion. Me too at times, but majority of the times feels good. I quire agree this part. I am having an Indica Xeta back at my home town used very rarely whenever I visit my hometown or when my parents hire a driver to go to temples bit far away (clocked less than 20,000 in 5 years).
--------------
I am of the opinion that there should a variant/ a model which can really boast of better fit and finish which is really of the so called "international quality" for a premium.
Thanks for sharing your views mates.

@drmohitg, It seems that my post about "The Tata Story" was a reply to what you said. More appropriately, it was a trigger for me to share some thoughts I have had on Tata for a long time.

One clearly sees that Tata has it's shares of drawbacks. Almost no car is ideal, as one can usually spend more and buy something better. However, eventually it boils down to what compromises the car manufacturer is willing to take at what cost, to bring out a car targeting a certain set of customers. My main point was that Tata has found that balance somewhere, which gets reflected in their sales.

Like for example (drmohitg having chosen an Altis D for his dad, would relate to) - The Altis D has taken the compromise of having lower powered engine for the 'compromise' of a fun-to-drive factor. It provides good FE and gets the job done very well for a point A to point B sedan to be driven in. And with such a need it is a very good choice.

About increasing quality in general or for some specific model/variant. I really don't think it is easy to improve quality. It usually would involve multiple vendors for each part and them being upgraded to higher quality standards. Also then to improve them in the manufacturers own factory. It has a cost involved. A big one, I presume (experts on the matter/others, may be able to elaborate more). Even famed German manufacturers struggle with reliability issues (as compared to the Japs) despite huge budgets. Reliability too being a quality issue - whether design or manufacture.

@autoindian, You are too polite, and please don't let that get in the way of sharing views constructively.

@all, please feel free to share your views on things that affect a purchase decision to this segment of cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
One question for the gurus: Can we add Automatic Climate Control in the after market? Specifically can i buy a LS model Optra Magnum and get ACC retrofitted? Also can Airbags be retrofitted?
@NoRules - About safety features, given that you haven't made a purchase yet, please try and go for factory fitted stuff. One would not like to take a chance with reliability on such matters, with the retrofitted stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I personally find the Linea much better and can only hope that Fiat plonks in the bigger version of the Multijet Black oil block in the Linea sooner than later.
@khoj - Would be good to have a report on your drives/test drive on the Linea, mate. It seemed like such an agile car being let down by a low powered engine which needed frequent gear changes. Other's experience on gear changes was different (was expressed in the Driven! thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by althaaf View Post
Yes there is a progress. Am busy preparing a detailed review with pics, new thread will be on air in a few days. Just to maintain the element of surprise, am not telling which car i got!. Wait for the review.
HeyAlthaaf!! Congrats mate!!!! Now you really have us guessing. Given you shared so little of your thoughts, we really don't have much to guess by. One almost wants to start a game of you giving us clues and we trying to guess, but it would take the thread too OT. A Vento? A New Cruze? An Optra??? Hurry with your report and please put up a link to it here also. Thanks.
Old 27th July 2011, 15:25   #547
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
@SLK, @Viswesh, @All - Please comment on the long distance comfort for the person in the centre of the rear bench on a long drive in an Optra.
Alright - just returned from a 750kms drive in the Optra this weekend. And co-incidently we were 5 people. We had considered taking 2 cars but then I had severe cold and could not have driven the whole time.

Coming straight to the point, we had 5 people and 1 had to sit in the middle. With 3 people in the rear, the ones on the sides had to be on the corners where the seat backs were curved and not the best place to sit, though the one in the middle had a better time with a better back support. I also got a chance to sit at the rear seat but only on a side, and can claim that it was a reasonably comfortable seat with good legroom.

The only little problems were the center ridge (foot space), and the lack of a head restraint. Both of these are almost in all cars.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 17:46   #548
Distinguished - BHPian

@positive: Well the booking is yet to be made. This is what happens when you dont need the car on an urgent basis, it tends to get lost in the daily scheme of things.

Also I dunno but somehow dad is again getting doubts about going for the Altis. Just made me think: Buy a Manza for 8L. Save those 7L ( Altis is 15) and add them to the Jetta (18-19L) and bingo you find yourself staring at a 320ce!! I have never loved maths more then this .
Old 27th July 2011, 18:37   #549
BHPian

Quote:
@positive: Well the booking is yet to be made. This is what happens when you dont need the car on an urgent basis, it tends to get lost in the daily scheme of things.
My situation exactly. Once I made my decision to go with Optra I wanted to book it but it was Ashadam. So I thought since I have couple of weeks, why not look for a good pre-owned Magnum meanwhile. And when i see a brand new Optra Magnum on the road (trust me, I see so many of them now a days) I wish I loose my own patience and go for a new one immediately. Since it is not a need I have the luxury of waiting.

I am hoping by this weekend I will find a pre-owned car as per my requirement else will go for a new one.
Old 27th July 2011, 20:04   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
1) The whole discussion was on DIESEL'S, and we are talking about Optra Diesel.
No one on this thread here is talking about, Optra P, Aveo P, Beat P, ironical it may sound, but looking at your Avatar and profile you yourself are a Beat P owner.
2) Handling: Let me admit, I am no expert on the handling front but from the TD's that I have had, the Optra with all wheel independent suspension handled better than the Vento. I never said that the Vento was that bad.
My comment was from a general perspective. Not specifically to Optra diesel.
I Own not only Beat Petrol but also Vento D, Palio and Zen (sold recently).
But I dont swear by the cars I own.

I have driven Swift and figo a lot. One of my friend has Optra D. So had a few experiences on that one too. I have thoroghly like the car but handling was not something that I would brag about.

All independent suspension do come with its own set of advantages (Palio has one too) but that does not make a huge difference IMO. I feel Figo and Zen are more fun to drive than the Palio. Optra is stable even at high speeds. But it is the lack of stiffness that results into body roll. Not scary by any means but takes away some of the fun factor. Next is the reluctance to change direction. This same characteristics is shared by Beat too.

3 years back we almost made up our choice for Optra. But somehow it was postponed. My dad rejected it. He did not like the driving characteristics 1 bit. He hates the Beat too.

But a 2L diesel is some bargain at 9L. You got yourself a very nice deal.

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th July 2011 at 22:25. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post please, thanks
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 21:50   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
All independent suspension do come with its own set of advantages (Palio has one too) but that does not make a huge difference IMO. I feel Figo and Zen are more fun to drive than the Palio. Optra is stable even at high speeds. But it is the lack of stiffness that results into body roll. Not scary by any means but takes away some of the fun factor. Next is the reluctance to change direction. This same characteristics is shared by Beat too.
Palio does not have an all wheel independent suspension, it has a torsion axle set up at the rear.

An AWIS system makes a world of difference to the handling of a given vehicle. You need to have much more exposure to the same to fully understand and better appreciate its capabilities. Thanks to the AWIS I can simply glide over the pot holed roads of the MIDC areas in Rabale, Taloja or Patalganga when all others take these roads one pot hole at a time. It also helps when I get into those high CF turns like the tight right hander followed by the even tighter left hander just before the Mechanic point going up the Khandala ghats. Not only does the car remain planted but also gives you enough confidence to change your trajectory to overtake a slower or wavering vehicle ahead and this is mid turn.

I wish I had a video of my car taking the rumbling strips which are found on every toll plaza on the NH8 on my drive from BOM to DEL last week as also the rut filled Ratanpur ~ Udaipur section and the Jaipur Bypass on the same highroad. While others hopped, skipped and jumped completely shaken and stirred it was smooth sailing for me. The suspensions did their dance with each of the 4 setups responding to the imperfection beneath its own wheel without forcing its counterpart on the other side to do so not only in tandem but also vice versa. Those are the moments when one really and truly thanks oneself for not following the crowd and gloats within

I would love to respond in detail to the bit about Optra rolling around and the stiff steering but then this is not the correct thread and if I were to elaborate on the Optra Magnum's excellent stiff chassis and its Hydraulic steering system that provides superb feed back which I believe are second only to the Cedia's for vehicles around the 10L mark, I would be late for dinner which is on the table and I am hungry. I would however ask that feedbacks here be based on actual driving experiences in the Magnum and not it's petrol sibling.

Last edited by khoj : 27th July 2011 at 21:52.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 22:17   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Palio does not have an all wheel independent suspension, it has a torsion axle set up at the rear.
Sorry my bad. I meant Indica. It did come with AWIS. But I think the newer models dont have it. Buit still the handling of these two are comparable.

Quote:
I would love to respond in detail to the bit about Optra rolling around and the stiff steering but then this is not the correct thread and if I were to elaborate on the Optra Magnum's excellent stiff chassis and its Hydraulic steering system that provides superb feed back which I believe are second only to the Cedia's for vehicles around the 10L mark,
Look pal, I may or or may not be always right. But it is just my opinion. I dont have an OPTRA. But I had a test drive back to back with Fiesta a few years ago. I liked the agility of Fiesta, but the diesel was not powerful enough. I could not test it on broken roads, but on straights and curves, Fiesta wins. It is my personal opinion. So all optra lovers dont bash be.

Last edited by oxyzen : 27th July 2011 at 22:35.
Old 28th July 2011, 00:02   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
PPS: Good to see you back Highflyer, Autoindian (and please feel free to share your thoughts), Jakku.
Torquedo (the Skoda effect?), Mdsaab (the ANHC effect?) and to a small extend VB-San seem to be missing (in action? ) for a while, given we got used to hearing from them.
My pleasure Poitive. Was quite busy with things back at home and was too much involved in the Skoda threads which was talking more about their issues (Superb which was replaced and second one repaid). If everything goes good, will book my Optra by mid-August, (yeah need to start the final negotiations). But the current issue of ACI is predicting and Oct launch of Nissan Sunny and the predicted price seems to be juicy. Not sure if it is worth waiting to consider that.

Last edited by Jakku : 28th July 2011 at 00:06. Reason: corrected the spelling mistake (from "super" to "superb")
Old 28th July 2011, 09:04   #554
Senior - BHPian

Though the Nissan Sunny will be launched by Diwali.
Only the Petrol Variant will be launched first as per news.
And it will be a little while longer before the Diesel Variant is launched.
Though from what i read, it seems to be a no nonsense, comfortable all rounder.
Old 28th July 2011, 21:21   #555
BHPian

Did the earlier Optra Magnum come with pure leather seats? And what is the type now?
Thanks
Closed Thread