Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 30th July 2011, 03:07   #571
BHPian

Default Re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
What one needs to remember is that a Merc could be a VFM and a Nano may not be one. I said this earlier in my post that a car should be a good car first. Reverse camera, good ICE etc can't make a car good. Having said this I think that Optra is a excellent VFM. If you spend just half of the price difference between Optra LT and top models of NFF and ANHV you can get a better eqipment list than these cars.
+1 mate

For those looking for gizmos, a CASKA with various addons should do the job. The Magnum seems to have a standard Double DIN. No idea of what the sound quality would be like. Charthom seems pretty satisfied with the one on his ANHC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Still not have gone for the fiesta test drive despite many calls from the rep.
The engine power is not up there. Space not comparable to the Magnum. Keep the Magnum aside and it isn't a bad car. It has it's many pluses too.
(the talk was about the NFF)

Quote:
How is the body/paint and build quality. The beaten up and rusting Tavera's come to mind first to me as chevy products. Only now i started looking at optra's. Since i'm a long time vehicle retainer if i'm happy, this is the first and foremost question.

What is the fuel efficiency that one gets when driven sanely?
Almost anyone who has owned a diesel Magnum seems to be very satisfied with it and feel happy with the decision. Rather, they usually seem a bit excited. Or a lot more than just a 'bit' excited!!!

From what I have been able to gather, I expect the FE to be about 11-13 in Delhi. 15-17 on the highway, with mostly sedate driving with the odd burst of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Poitive, it has always been a pleasure reading your TD comments and as everyone has appreciated, the posts on the "Driven" thread have been really useful.

Skoda thing is out of the window, cost was the BIG factor there.
Thanks Toruqedo. Am glad you enjoyed them.

Don't think anyone would even come close to the kind of research you have done on this vehicle. So, when we didn't hear from you for a while, thought that you may be going the Skoda route! With the petrol prices, you seem to be on the safer side now! LOL

Quote:
My latest analysis/findings on the GM VIN decoding have been posted on Keyur's Optra ownership thread.
That indeed was helpful. For those interested - please look for the link in a reply to Keyur above (you can click on that small red box in the quote to reach that thread).

Quote:
As you know in all probability, Optra is the one for me, regardless of it being discontinued and other GM A$$ stuff so I actually wait for someone on the forum to ill treat the Optra and I can pounce on that guy
Pounce on the guy?
Not sure what you meant!!!! LOL
Quote:
On the others in the same bracket here are my views (owners/ probable owners: these are my comments, with no offense meant to anyone).
You are pretty passionate about the Optra mate. Reading across various threads, I do see how Optra may not be to many peoples taste or even needs. For some of us, it is the GOD of this segment!!! (for me too, but I 'try' to keep that aside when I post at times, I don't succeed :d )

I have some observations and thoughts about Optra's handling. Will put them up in another post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
People,

You know I have decided to go for Optra Magnum LT and almost paid the booking amount to take delivery on 4th Aug but some thinking made me try to look one final last time for a pre-owned car. I have told several of my friends, registered with all the websites and also asked several second hand car dealers to look for a LT model.
Mate, your searches for a good pre-owned Optra have been on for a while. And you not finding a suitable one, despite the efforts was one major reason why I didn't try much myself.

Even though I wasn't much inclined for a pre-owned (got into it thanks to the numerous suggestions in the initial part of the thread), I really left it out with this thought - Most people who do buy this car are likely to buy it for the long haul and it is unlikely that one would find a good example. Also that most people who have had one are likely to have driven it hard. Or possibly very very hard. Probably even abused it. This is the kind of car which would appeal to an enthusiast. With those thoughts, it didn't seem the kind of car for a pre-owned. Cars which appeal to more sedate drivers are good options for taking up pre-owned.

Another thing your search reveals is how satisfied Optra Magnum owners seem to be to not sell them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I have a feeling that you’ll end up with Honda City AT. I remember you mentioning (in an earlier post) on a return drive from Chennai in Sports mode
Sports mode on a highway in this price segment? I doubt anything would even touch the Magnum, mate! Not even touch it!! VB, Just try the car, even just for the heck of it, once u return to India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
The only little problems were the center ridge (foot space), and the lack of a head restraint. Both of these are almost in all cars.
Thanks for that very quick response SLK. Hope you keep adding to the discussion with your experiences with this wonderful car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Though the Nissan Sunny will be launched by Diwali.
Thanks for sharing mdsaab. This seems to be another interesting car on the horizon. 2601mm wheelbase. The headroom at the rear may be an issue, but overall seems to be spacious. So we may finally have a spacious modern car in this segment which feels better than Manza and Etios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
If I were CEO of GM, I would have recruited Positive as head of Marketing.
LOL! Poitive may not want that position!!!
But thanks mate.

@Oxyzen: You do add a lot of value to this thread. Have been right from the nascent stages of this thread. Many of the people here are Optra lovers. You bring in good perspectives beyond that. Whether or not I agree with some of your views is not important. What is important is the good points of view and takes you bring in. I just hope the interactions remain cordial, given how passionate we all are about our cars.
Thanks for your inputs mate. They are appreciated.

Last edited by Poitive : 30th July 2011 at 03:17.
Old 30th July 2011, 03:41   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
An AWIS system makes a world of difference to the handling of a given vehicle. You need to have much more exposure to the same to fully understand and better appreciate its capabilities. Thanks to the AWIS I can simply glide over the pot holed roads of the MIDC areas in Rabale, Taloja or Patalganga when all others take these roads one pot hole at a time. It also helps when I get into those high CF turns like the tight right hander followed by the even tighter left hander just before the Mechanic point going up the Khandala ghats. Not only does the car remain planted but also gives you enough confidence to change your trajectory to overtake a slower or wavering vehicle ahead and this is mid turn.
Thanks for that Khoj!
Some of your posts have really had me sitting silly with a wide grin. Loved this one too. Hope to hear more from you, as it is a joy.

Quote:
The suspensions did their dance with each of the 4 setups responding to the imperfection beneath its own wheel without forcing its counterpart on the other side to do so not only in tandem but also vice versa. Those are the moments when one really and truly thanks oneself for not following the crowd and gloats within
Aah! I SO relate to that feeling; and it goes well beyond automotive choices. It seems to be a job to get people to understand how good this vehicle is. As was said before, people may doubt one's sanity if one buys this LOL. But why care beyond a point!

Quote:
I would love to respond in detail to the bit about Optra rolling around and the stiff steering but then this is not the correct thread and if I were to elaborate on the Optra Magnum's excellent stiff chassis and its Hydraulic steering system that provides superb feed back which I believe are second only to the Cedia's for vehicles around the 10L mark, I would be late for dinner which is on the table and I am hungry. I would however ask that feedbacks here be based on actual driving experiences in the Magnum and not it's petrol sibling.
Aah! It may just be the thread for it!!!
Knowing more about this car would be a joy for many.

If one goes beyond the 10L mark. Say upto 15L, what other cars do you see competing with it on the JTD (Joy-To-Drive) factor? Aah! I like that term, which came up on the spur of the moment. Joy-to-drive. That explains it better than FTD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
This thread has really become all about the Optra! Reading so many good things about this suddenly discovered car has made me to think if even GM ever took so much interest in this car.
LOL! Yes! This car made such an overwhelming case for itself. A lot of people seemed to be waiting for the NFF prices. Those being higher than most people's expectations they turned Optra-words.

For me, even at the same price, this is a far better car than the others around. All it really needs is a revamped dash with some gizmos and some cosmetic changes on the outside to make it seem different from the car we have been seeing for 4/8 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
@positive: Well the booking is yet to be made. This is what happens when you dont need the car on an urgent basis, it tends to get lost in the daily scheme of things.

Also I dunno but somehow dad is again getting doubts about going for the Altis. Just made me think: Buy a Manza for 8L. Save those 7L ( Altis is 15) and add them to the Jetta (18-19L) and bingo you find yourself staring at a 320ce!! I have never loved maths more then this .
Never loved maths more than this!!! LOL

Some more maths. Save 1L lesser and go for the Optra Magnum LS.You pick up the LS at a bit over 9L in Delhi. Would give your father what he was looking for (and more, if you compare the ride over bad roads) and it would have a much better image than the Manza. Have more to say. But we could take it up on your what-car thread, if you wish to. This could be copied/quoted there for continuity for others reading that thread.

Edit: Heck! I think I'll need to admit myself into a de-addiction centre. Any docs here who want to start a Team-Bhp de-addiction centre? LOL

Last edited by Poitive : 30th July 2011 at 03:48.
Old 30th July 2011, 08:20   #573
Senior - BHPian

Poitive, I agree. I to feel the Nissan Sunny would turn out to be better than the Etios and Manza. Let's hope we are right.
Only one concern from what i read is.
Renault ~ Nissan have not really been able to understand the Indian market well.
They seem to be getting it right with their petrol models.
But the focus in India has shifted to Diesels.
They need to bring out their diesel models in line with expectations.
The Fluence, with it's stark equipment list in diesel guise is a shame.
The Micra Diesel too looses out on safety kit.
So both Renault and Nissan need to get it right in their future launches.
Hope the mindset of these manufacturers change for the better.
And the Sunny Diesel gets kitted out as well as the petrol.

Last edited by mdsaab : 30th July 2011 at 08:24.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 09:03   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Mate, your searches for a good pre-owned Optra have been on for a while. And you not finding a suitable one, despite the efforts was one major reason why I didn't try much myself.

Even though I wasn't much inclined for a pre-owned (got into it thanks to the numerous suggestions in the initial part of the thread), I really left it out with this thought - Most people who do buy this car are likely to buy it for the long haul and it is unlikely that one would find a good example. Also that most people who have had one are likely to have driven it hard. Or possibly very very hard. Probably even abused it. This is the kind of car which would appeal to an enthusiast. With those thoughts, it didn't seem the kind of car for a pre-owned. Cars which appeal to more sedate drivers are good options for taking up pre-owned.

Another thing your search reveals is how satisfied Optra Magnum owners seem to be to not sell them.

I had given up on finding a good pre-owned Magnum LT and was putting together the money to buy a new one. And after I finished the negotiations phase for the new one and almost paid the booking amount, I was asked to postpone the process upto 1st week of August and that is when I thought I will make one last bid all-out effort before I give up once and for all.

And guess what: I might just get lucky. One of the car dealers told me about this 2009 LT model and there is another lead from a friend. Will check them out this weekend.
Old 30th July 2011, 11:25   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

@Oxyzen: You do add a lot of value to this thread. Have been right from the nascent stages of this thread. Many of the people here are Optra lovers. You bring in good perspectives beyond that. Whether or not I agree with some of your views is not important. What is important is the good points of view and takes you bring in. I just hope the interactions remain cordial, given how passionate we all are about our cars.
Thanks for your inputs mate. They are appreciated.
The reason I stick around this thread is because I believe Optra is a much better car than people think it to be. It should not have been a market dud. And most importantly GM should take steps to give it some bling. It is practical, It is powerful. It needs to sell more.

But unfortunately GM seems to have given up on this one. The new kids in town is what they are concentrating. (Cruze/Beat)

It is not possible for you or me to agree on every point. Right? We all have different preferences. And I expect in such a forum like Team-BHP, the interaction remains cordial. I have no grudge against anyone who has a different set of opinions. These are sometimes eye-openers. I have always respected your views and opinions (irrespective of the fact whether I agree or not). And I expect this thread to continue its dream run so that people can get benefited.

Last edited by oxyzen : 30th July 2011 at 11:36.
Old 30th July 2011, 12:15   #576
Team-BHP Support

Folks, how are people resolving lack of Aux-in problem in Vento?

That seems to be the biggest feature not available.
Some thing can be done for lack of other features at least.
This is something which one cannot live without.

Any other deal-breaking feature which are not available in Vento that I am missing?
Old 30th July 2011, 12:42   #577
BHPian

Disappointment early in the morning. I got a call from one of the dealers about a 2009 LT Magnum day before just when I was boarding a flight to Kolkata. I told them I will be back at Hyderabad on Friday night and will inspect the vehicle today and decide immediately. When i called them today morning they told me the vehicle is already sold. :-(

The owner quoted 7.25L and sold @ 6.55L. Have 2 more options of 2008/9 models to check tomorrow / day after.
Old 30th July 2011, 14:12   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Need to buy a diesel sedan.
======
Cars checked till now and views on them in the following posts ...
Can you please confirm if you had decided on your purchase.
Old 30th July 2011, 14:52   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere
Folks, how are people resolving lack of Aux-in problem in Vento?

That seems to be the biggest feature not available.
Some thing can be done for lack of other features at least.
This is something which one cannot live without.

Any other deal-breaking feature which are not available in Vento that I am missing?
One would have to use an fm transmitter.
There are many out there.
Belkin etc make them.
There are special ones for ipods too.

NoRules ~ No Tension. you still have 2 more options. I hope you get what you are looking for. Else you were ready to buy new right. So in the near future. Either way i see your optra magnum ownership thread in the pipeline. Good Luck!
Old 30th July 2011, 14:57   #580
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One would have to use an fm transmitter.
There are many out there.
Belkin etc make them.
There are special ones for ipods too.
I tried them some time back in a different car. I was not happy with their performance.
Looks like then there is no other solution. Given the fact that most music and books reside in our portable devices, this small a thing can take away a deal!
Hope Vento face lift is out soon (If they are planning one).

Last edited by ampere : 30th July 2011 at 14:58.
Old 30th July 2011, 15:04   #581
BHPian

poitive, this thread has reached 39 pages. Can you please confirm if you have finalised your purchase decision.
Old 30th July 2011, 15:06   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

I tried them some time back in a different car. I was not happy with their performance.
Looks like then there is no other solution. Given the fact that most music and books reside in our portable devices, this small a thing can take away a deal!
Hope Vento face lift is out soon (If they are planning one).
FM Transmittervis not at all good. There are so many music stations now and its very hard to get clean signal.
Old 30th July 2011, 15:21   #583
BHPian

Quote:

NoRules ~ No Tension. you still have 2 more options. I hope you get what you are looking for. Else you were ready to buy new right. So in the near future. Either way i see your optra magnum ownership thread in the pipeline. Good Luck!
mdsaab,

Thanks for your encouragement. I have added another option. Have a new neighbor in my building who owns an Accord and his cousin owns an Optra Magnum and I noticed they hardly use the Magnum. Couple of weeks ago we met in the building and discussed the Magnum when I told him i am planning to buy one. He had only good things to say about the beast.

I bumped into him just now in the lift and asked him if he wants to sell his Magnum. It seems his cousin is planning to buy a Superb but is not sure when. He promised to check up with his cousin and let me know in couple of days.

Either way I am going to own this car in August.
Old 30th July 2011, 15:53   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari

FM Transmittervis not at all good. There are so many music stations now and its very hard to get clean signal.
It depends there are some good ones out there.
Check out dot's thread he just picked up a good one.
Try my personal fm station, tune your transmitter to 97.7 and check it out. Let me know.
Note :- both your transmitter and HU should be tuned to 97.7
And no the music wont be mine. Still yours. LOL!

NoRules ~ there you go, another possible option. Good luck once again.
Old 30th July 2011, 16:12   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab

It depends there are some good ones out there.
Check out dot's thread he just picked up a good one.
Try my personal fm station, tune your transmitter to 97.7 and check it out. Let me know.
Note :- both your transmitter and HU should be tuned to 97.7
And no the music wont be mine. Still yours. LOL!

NoRules ~ there you go, another possible option. Good luck once again.
Ha ha. I have tried many ranges till 107.5. It's not as good as direct USB connectivity and drains battery of mobile as well. Its ok for occasional use in my opinion. Tried for 1 year in my esteem and then changed HU. Now if I go for the optra magnum need to see. I have mailed CASKA to see if they have a HU for Optra. Let's see.
Closed Thread