Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 30th July 2011, 16:58   #586
BHPian

Default Re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

@prabhuferrari any response from Caska?
I remember reading somewhere that any MP3 player with Aux out would do the job in Optra. We all know that a decent quality MP3 player with Aux out is available for Rs 1000-1500.
Can anyone throw some light on this ?
Old 30th July 2011, 17:10   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer
@prabhuferrari any response from Caska?
I remember reading somewhere that any MP3 player with Aux out would do the job in Optra. We all know that a decent quality MP3 player with Aux out is available for Rs 1000-1500.
Can anyone throw some light on this ?
No response yet. Sent the mail by morning only. I am looking at something with reverse sensor and Bluetooth etc. Do not want to have multiple things and just 1 HU catering to all needs.
Old 30th July 2011, 18:04   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Ha ha. I have tried many ranges till 107.5. It's not as good as direct USB connectivity and drains battery of mobile as well. Its ok for occasional use in my opinion. Tried for 1 year in my esteem and then changed HU. Now if I go for the optra magnum need to see. I have mailed CASKA to see if they have a HU for Optra. Let's see.
Did you check with Sundaram about the upgrade to a touch screen? They told they will fit it and is approved/will not void warranty. Also checked with their helpline and have confirmed the same IF it is done at the ASC.

i'm awaiting an email confirmation of the same.
Old 30th July 2011, 18:09   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist

Did you check with Sundaram about the upgrade to a touch screen? They told they will fit it and is approved/will not void warranty. Also checked with their helpline and have confirmed the same IF it is done at the ASC.

i'm awaiting an email confirmation of the same.
I did check. It will not void warranty. Only thing is they do not know which head unit to fix. They suggested mapmyindia for navigation plus parking, existing one for audio, and a Bluetooth ear piece. 3 different things!! So if we recommend a HU they might fit it.
Old 30th July 2011, 22:00   #590
Senior - BHPian

If i am not mistaken caska has one universal HU as well.
This should fit into the Optra Magnum.
and yes with the FM transmitter the battery of your device does get drained.
Where as the USB is not only a much better option but charges your device too.
Brilliant thing, and i miss not having it in my Civic.
Old 30th July 2011, 23:51   #591
BHPian

Default Re: Driven! - New Ford Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
FM Transmittervis not at all good. There are so many music stations now and its very hard to get clean signal.
Ideally, a good FM transmitter will do it's job and all you need is a difference of 0.3 to 0.5 MHz. from an existing channel. Also, the range for most transmitters is from 88 to 108Mhz and you will definitely find free frequency bands between these!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Those are the moments when one really and truly thanks oneself for not following the crowd and gloats within
I completely agree and relate to the feeling (I have been gloating a lot lately, and not just on bad roads, but on straight roads, highways, when friends who have recently purchased Ventos and Fluidics ride in my Opty etc - more on this on the next post)

Quote:
I would love to respond in detail to the bit about Optra rolling around and the stiff steering but then this is not the correct thread and if I were to elaborate on the Optra Magnum's excellent stiff chassis and its Hydraulic steering system that provides superb feed back which I believe are second only to the Cedia's
Do post it right here!

Quote:
I would however ask that feedbacks here be based on actual driving experiences in the Magnum and not it's petrol sibling.
For some reason, most people consider a vehicle with EPS to have a smooth 'handling' - all they mean is the ease and the lightness of the wheel - and I do agree that it is very helpful in traffic and even a light boned damsel can drive the same with her little finger.
But I cannot understand the concept of these vehicles giving 'great feedback' as these wheels do not give ANY feedback at all. On the contrary, at high speeds, they give a sense of weightlessness and extreme levels of insecurity.
An EPS is poor in terms of feedback, responsiveness and steering weight. Also, it does not provide any back-push either, which is very necessary to be able to drive comfortably and safely at high speeds.

Hydraulic steering on the other hand feel heavy, and that is what exactly gives the feedback. You actually feel the vehicle while turning, and it really helps, be it traffic or an open freeway.

I have a Swift VXI and an Optra Magnum TCDI. I love the zippy, peppy feel of the Swift steering and the way it is easily maneuverable, but very scary at high speeds, as there is no feedback (it actually gets switched off at high speeds if I am not wrong). But the same in the heavy Optra with all the power would be disastrous. The hydraulic steering works perfectly for the Optra, gives accurate feedback and requires a wee bit of force, which actually makes the driving more enjoyable.

I have read a couple of comments about the Vento or the Fluidic giving 'great feedback' while steering (can't recollect the thread or the exact vehicle) , and I feel that the person has no idea about what steering feedback actually is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I could not test it on broken roads, but on straights and curves, Fiesta wins. It is my personal opinion. So all optra lovers dont bash be.
I somehow can't believe that the Fiesta wins over the Optra on straights and curves. (what's left after the straights and curves)
Old 31st July 2011, 00:11   #592
BHPian

I would pick Hyudnai Verna Fluidic 1.6 Diesel with my eyes closed..........and make that WHITE
Old 31st July 2011, 00:38   #593
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiv View Post
I would pick Hyudnai Verna Fluidic 1.6 Diesel with my eyes closed..........and make that WHITE
... and what is the reason for this? Mark IV, I'm in the market for buying a car and my requirement is best described by this thread's title. Hence any input on why would you choose the Fluidic would be very helpful.

Thanks to Poitive and keyur, I'm considering the Optra as a serious contender. Will be test driving the Magnum tomorrow (rather today) afternoon and will contribute my 2 cents.
Old 31st July 2011, 00:53   #594
BHPian

Finally here is the review, definitely not a diesel car. Hows the surprise? !!http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2450183
Old 31st July 2011, 01:02   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
... and what is the reason for this? Mark IV, I'm in the market for buying a car and my requirement is best described by this thread's title. Hence any input on why would you choose the Fluidic would be very helpful.

Thanks to Poitive and keyur, I'm considering the Optra as a serious contender. Will be test driving the Magnum tomorrow (rather today) afternoon and will contribute my 2 cents.
If you are ONLY looking for spaciousness, its not the one I think. But look at the specs! 1.6 L / 128 bhp , and that too in a Diesel !!
Old 31st July 2011, 02:31   #596
BHPian

Default A friend who bought a Vento goes for a drive with one who bought an Optra!

A friend of mine recently purchased a Vento TDI highline (white) and wanted to get some simple accessories like seat covers and sun-films fitted. I know a reliable accessories guy nearby, so my friend came over with his new car, his wife and his kid - the plan was to have a quick get-together while the car fittings would be done.

There was a brief wait at the accessories shop, where I saw a Swift DDIS with a RaceDynamics Piggyback ECU kit sitting on the rear seat! (That sub-story can be read here).

In an attempt to explain to my dear friend the basics of a Turbo Charger, we took his new Vento for a spin. Here is the entire experience :

Part 1 : Keyur drives the Vento

I was not in a mood to restart any comparisons, so decided to focus on the goal - showing him what his car can do and attempt to take him above the 80kph (max) that he had done till date.

Got into the car, inserted the key, tried twisting it. It is VERY hard. The key is foldable into the fob (like a switchblade), so when I had to twist it really hard, i was scared that it may break at the hinge. But the vehicle started. Put the car into reverse (press down, leftmost top position), started reversing. My friend has got the reverse parking sensors fitted in from VW for Rs.4000, and the stupid thing is that it only beeps (no display anywhere). It causes more confusion as you do not know where you might crash!

Got the vehicle out, slotted to first and went to an open road. While slotting realized that the gears are not smooth. They require quite a bit of force. The Fluidic was butter smooth, the Optra was smooth and this was hard - by hard I just mean that you have to apply force, no misslotting!

Took the car to an open stretch

Last edited by keyur : 31st July 2011 at 02:59.
Old 31st July 2011, 02:45   #597
BHPian

Thanks for posting your experience about the Optra. Was good to hear from a long term owner. Also good to hear a more 'realistic' perspective mate - with the negatives of this car too. With the TD experience one has in this car, it is easy to get blown away and believe that this car could be God-reincarnate (for this price segment, if you enjoy the car per se).

Firstly your post got missed (possibly something to do with the forum classifying you as a newbie) and then I wanted to respond to it with more time and proper attention.

@bharath_ravi, yours was one of the threads I had read in the initial research on this car. Your tyres getting replaced smelt of good customer oriented policy to me. Was reassuring. For others who may want to read the ownership thread - link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...xp-report.html (My Chevy Optra Magnum OPUS LT- 20k ownership exp report)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath_ravi View Post
Top -class is the word which to mind. The acceleration is something which needs to experienced and cant be penned down. I think someone pointed out the ease of driving on those rumble strips near toll-plazas, it's fun to just glide over them when other are trying to negotiate the bumps. This speaks volumes about the car's suspension. High speed handling is terrific , I have driven at some high speed in my 3 years and have always been the leader of the pack if I wanted to.
Based on the TDs I have had, have had almost precisely the same opinion about this car. Besides many obvious things, it was the high speed composure which set this car apart for someone who enjoys driving such.

Quote:
No stock car in the 10-12L segment can touch the stock Magnum on the highways. If you get a a re-map done or just pete it it's a different beast altogether. It improves the in-gear acceleration and also takes care of the turbo lag.
The turbo-lag seems to have been taken care of in a big way post BS4 mods. I presume there was an ECU remap done at some point. before that too. Just in case it wasn't done in your car, Bharath, you may want to check on that.

Did you get a pete's? Any experience with a pete's on this car? Would it widen the power band? How would it affect FE, if not driven insanely?

Quote:
There are however a few things which owners and potential owners need to to be wary of the in the Magnum.

Firstly, the Brakes , they will trouble you after a couple of years, atleast for me they did. The disks will lose shape and you will experience brake shuddering. This is true specially if you are someone who likes to push the car on highways and the famous Magnum torque will propel you , now to slow down or stop you have to depend on the brakes. I have seen and heard many Magnum owners complain about braking. If under warranty disks can be replaced or they can be skimmed to correct the unevenness on the surface. You can opt for performance disks(tarox etc.) if you decide to remap or pete the car.
After how many kms did you have an issue with it, Bharath?
By any chance, is your driving style such, that you end up doing a lot of hard braking (something easy to happen, given this beast)?

Have heard a bit about Cruze too having more frequent brake issues, possibly due to more stops, which in turn may happen due to the huge torque. Also, both these cars are pretty heavy, which translated to a much higher momentum for the same speed, hence putting more pressure on the brakes.

Any rough idea of how much it would have cost for that repair, had it been out of warranty?

Quote:
Handling- Although the handling is largely excellent for car of this size and power, it can't be compared to that of the Vento's high speed handling which is way better in the curves specially at high speeds and I'm talking of 150 + speeds. In the 120 and 130 speed range it can be compared to Vento or any car with good handling. Straight line , I haven't seen any other vehicle in this segment come even close to the Magnum, its a torpedo!!
Now that is quite a shocker for me. I was only able to test these cars at highish speeds for a short time. Possibly very short. Hence can only be so sure of my opinions. Even had a back to back TD of the Vento and Magnum. Vento felt sharper; quicker to respond. Optra clearly felt a lot more composed at higher speeds.

It really would be very good for readers, if you could elaborate on the handling aspects mate. Also what kind of usage/experience you have had with the Vento.

Also please try to explain the experience. I mean what aspects of handling are we talking about.

No! It is not that I can't accept another view. Just that I am surprised and would like to correct myself. For that I'd probably TD the Vento again sometime (just to check this), and I would like to understand more details about this. (or for all we know, given Keyur's Fluidic TD, we'll soon have another TD comparo happening here!!!)

Quote:
Diesel fuel pump- Although the newer models are equipped with a modified pump , I know of a few friends who have had fuel pump failures on 2009 and 2010 models with the check Engine light comes on. The fuel pump costs ~22k and if you are not in warranty this can hurt your pocket. Never allow the tank to run low or dry.
Thanks for bringing this up. I have faced an issue with a petrol fuel pump too. But that was a long long time back and can't even recollect the reason for it - electrical or it getting clogged.

IIRC there was an issue with a certain batch of Fuel pumps of the Optra sometime around 2008 (2009?) which could be identified with some colour of sticker. If the customer complained, the company would change them. Initially, the dealerships tried to charge the customers (probably not being aware that it was a manufacturing issue with the batch). If one knew better or insisted or got GM involved, they were changed without charge.

Quote:
Rear Seat- I think the rear seat of the Magnum is very good compared to cars in this segment. However on long drives i.e 600+ kms it's definitely gets slightly uncomfortable for the third person if 5 people are traveling. The arm rest when folded up is best described as decent back support but for long periods without a headrest it's kinda tiring and if you are tall its even more uncomfortable
Any idea how it compared to other cars in around this price segment (Manza, SX4, Fluidic Verna, New Fiesta, Linea)? My guess is that is would fare better, but would like to be corrected, if my perception is incorrect.

Quote:
However the leather and cushions are excellent and gives you great comfort if just 2 people are sitting on the back seat. Leg room is good if the driver is about 5.5- 5.7" anything above that and seat will be pushed back giving you avg leg room.
From what I tried in the TD (I am 6') a 6' person behind another was possible. 5'11" being 5'11" seemed quite comfortable. But comfort has a very different connotation to different people. To me, this space was one of the bigger pluses in this car. This also had a wider and better designed bench than the others around. IIRC the Octavia used to be way more cramped than this. The Laura too is supposed to be more cramped than the Otpra, AFAIK.
Quote:
Finally want to close by saying It's a great car and totally worth the money you pay for it.

Thanks,
Bharath
Aah! That, it sure seems to be. Thanks for sharing Bharath and looking for more inputs from you. Hope you'll have the patience to bear with our questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
My pleasure Poitive. Was quite busy with things back at home and was too much involved in the Skoda threads which was talking more about their issues (Superb which was replaced and second one repaid). If everything goes good, will book my Optra by mid-August, (yeah need to start the final negotiations). But the current issue of ACI is predicting and Oct launch of Nissan Sunny and the predicted price seems to be juicy. Not sure if it is worth waiting to consider that.
Could you update us on the happenings on Skoda Rapid?
Skoda A$$ notwithstanding, the Rapid seems to be a promising car. Should be a strong challenger to the Vento. Though it is supposed to have a 1.6L engine, it may be a lot of FTD.

As mdsaab also mentioned, Sunny is to be launched with a petrol first. The Diesel is expected to be the same 1.5 they have in different states of tune etc on the Micra and Fluence.

Hope they get it right this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
Continuing on the lighter note : If you don't buy this car after you have TDed it, you will be branded insane!
Loved this one, Keyur!!!! LOL

Quote:
If I am not mistaken, this has more to do with the ABS sensors than with the disk warping. The shuddering is a characteristic of the ABS, and also happens if the sensors give a flawed reading. This should not happen on the non ABS versions. I may be wrong about this specific case here, so comments are welcome.
How many kms have you done, Keyur? Have you missed the ABS at any point? How does the vehicle feel, if you need to brake hard suddenly? Composed stops till the end, or scary skids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I did not like the ratios on Magnum as well. Too tall for city drives. Brings out the turbo lag incase you dont want to downshift.
That may have lesser to do with the gear rations, per se. More a matter of getting adapted to different gear rations and a different power delivery. It seems that the recommended speeds for each gear would simply be higher for this car.

@Oxyzen, We still have a discussion pending on the 20-80 in third mate. Will bring it up sometime

Quote:
The steering of Magnum (to the extent I remember) was good but not great. I drive a Fiat so my standard of steering feedback was pretty high.
I did not go over 100 so it may not be right to talk about high speed stability. But I did not like the body roll while taking sharp turns and sudden lane changes.
The Fiat Linea gave a HUGE amount of feedback. Very raw feedback. With that benchmark, almost all cars should feel sorely lacking on feedback. But it may be a matter of getting adapted to the car.

Would be good to hear your comments on how you felt on your new Vento, after the Fiat. Also, if you found the Vento's feedback better as you got more used to it, mate.

About the bodyroll, it seems to me that it again could be a matter of getting used to it. I pushed the car a bit, despite bodyroll in my last TD (was reported in bullet form a few pages back). I was so impressed! Was a revelation to me. This car handles well despite the bodyroll. Surely is not as agile as the lighter cars.

Quote:
It is not about muscle. It is about lag in response. What it needs is quick steering. Generally longer the wheelbase, more prominent is the problem.
And it may go beyond the wheelbase. IIRC the Linea has about the same wheel base as Optra (please correct me if I am wrong), but a Linea is HUGELY more agile.

Quote:
Though dated, I have to accept the quality of material is nice. Sure there is a thud feeling. But all it needs is a new interior. Why cant GM bring a facelift!
My guess - they are afraid that it might hurt their star, the Cruze too much.

Quote:
Most tyre pressure sensors over-read. Specially the analog gauge ones. Please check your pressure only at fuel stations with digital gauges.
Similar situation happened in My zen to. I was at 60 not 120.
My analog reads pretty accurately. Was purchased for about Rs.200 from a local accessory shop. Always within 1-2psi of good fuel station meters. Guess I am lucky!

BTW, tyre pressure changes even with a 1-2 km drive, especially if they tyres were cold to start with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
I have a calibrated digital air pressure gauge. Also, I fill up only at HP pumps that have their automatic air filling units in good condition. There was no issue about the air pressure!
Old 31st July 2011, 03:10   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
And guess what: I might just get lucky. One of the car dealers told me about this 2009 LT model and there is another lead from a friend. Will check them out this weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Disappointment early in the morning. I got a call from one of the dealers about a 2009 LT Magnum day before just when I was boarding a flight to Kolkata. I told them I will be back at Hyderabad on Friday night and will inspect the vehicle today and decide immediately. When i called them today morning they told me the vehicle is already sold. :-(

The owner quoted 7.25L and sold @ 6.55L. Have 2 more options of 2008/9 models to check tomorrow / day after.
I do want you to save the money, but my gut says that you should go in for a new one mate. But what one likes is you being certain that you'll be with a Magnum in August! Great!!

The figures above seem to be in line with what Viswesh and mdsaab discussed a long time back (well, not a long time back, but a lot of pages back!). That for it's segment (questionably comparable to C+ Corolla, Civic etc), it depreciates acceptably. About 40% in 2 years. Not as bad as was talked about initially on this thread of 50% in a year. Good going Magnum!

Though on the flip side, it makes a poorer case for one to go in for a per-owned one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Only one concern from what i read is.
Renault ~ Nissan have not really been able to understand the Indian market well.
Hope they are serious enough about India. Or maybe by the time, they do get serious, they'll have lost too much ground. Fiat, despite its products has been struggling. But then Fiat has been plagued with many other issues as well.

@Mods, am breaking the posts, as they are getting far too long. It seems to be a big bother for others to reply to them with quotes them if needed. Also, the posts then end up dealing with too many topics in one post. In case you feel it would be more readable and better for the forum to merge the posts, please do so - sorry for the inconvenience, if any.
The subsequent post is being kept separate to allow me to have a link to this, in case anyone asks me the same question
Old 31st July 2011, 03:19   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK72 View Post
Can you please confirm if you had decided on your purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK72 View Post
poitive, this thread has reached 39 pages. Can you please confirm if you have finalised your purchase decision.
Dear SRK72 Sir,

Thank you for your concern on my decision and purchase. It will be brought to this thread at an appropriate time.

Given your ample interest in this thread to make the above two posts in less than an hour, please allow me this opportunity to inform you that this thread has gone way way beyond 'my' decision, as you would realize, once you read it. Would also like to get your kind attention to page 11, page 15, which should clarify some doubts.

I expect it may have seemed too tedious to look through the whole thread to look for an answer. Coincidentally, a similar question was also answered a few days back. Please turn back a few pages for more details.

Please let us know what cars you are considering in this segment. There are many passionate and also very reasonable people participating with various views on this segment here. It may add value to your decision too. So then it will be your what-car thread too

And yes, there is another Driven! thread too, which is a sort of a sister thread to this one. That is less Optra-centric than this one (till now). It has Test Drive reports of the following till now: Vento, Optra, Linea, SX4, Manza, Fluidic Verna (pretty detailed), New Ford Fiesta (Very detailed, by my standards).
Link here:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...iesta-pg5.html (Driven! Vento, Optra, Linea, SX4, Manza. EDIT: Fluidic Verna (pg4), New Fiesta (Pg5))

Hope you find these useful.

Happy Motoring and thanks for your interest, sir.

Poitive.

Last edited by Poitive : 31st July 2011 at 03:21.
Old 31st July 2011, 04:03   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
I do want you to save the money, but my gut says that you should go in for a new one mate. But what one likes is you being certain that you'll be with a Magnum in August! Great!!

The figures above seem to be in line with what Viswesh and mdsaab discussed a long time back (well, not a long time back, but a lot of pages back!). That for it's segment (questionably comparable to C+ Corolla, Civic etc), it depreciates acceptably. About 40% in 2 years. Not as bad as was talked about initially on this thread of 50% in a year. Good going Magnum!

Though on the flip side, it makes a poorer case for one to go in for a per-owned one.
Poitive, I would love to go for a new Magnum and as I said earlier, I almost booked one. While I am not superstitious and do not believe in stars and months and muhurats, i respect my better half's belief in such things as far as it does not inconvenience me. She asked me to postpone buying a new car by couple of weeks since it was Ashadam month and because we have a fully functional car to take care of our family needs I was ok with the delay. If by postponing a purchase which is not an emergency requirement I can respect my wife's beliefs, why not.

You know i tried to find a good pre-owned Magnum earlier. When i realised I had couple of weeks time I thought why not try one last time to see if I can find one. And I unleashed all the resources at my disposal.

(Actually had fun while at it. One weekend when me and my kids were free I searched JustDial for 'second hand car dealers in Hyderabad' and asked my sons, aged 14 and 11, to call each one of them and ask for a second hand Chevrolet Optra Magnum Diesel Post 2008 LT model and my sons had a great time talking to the dealers - hilarious stuff. ehe.

Typical conversation, in Hyderabadi hindi / english / telugu went something like:

Hello, aap kane Chevrolet Optra Magnum hai kyaa? Nai nai. LS nai. LT honaa. 2008 ke baad ka. Automatic AC rehnaa. ABS aur airbags bhi. Mere pappa bole poochne ko. Nai nai. Honda, Skoda nai honaa. Sirf Magnum honaa. Hau. Magnum)

At the end of the day I might find a good second hand car or I might not but fact remains that at a price level of less than 12 lakhs for a new car I will not find a car which will excite me more than Optra Magnum and I will acquire one.

There is only one thing that might change my choice: A friend of mine has a Skoda Laura 2009, very well maintained and if I can force him to decide to sell it to me in next 48 hours at a much much discounted price, i might go for it. ehe.

Last edited by NoRules : 31st July 2011 at 04:10.
Closed Thread