Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 1st August 2011, 22:00   #646
BHPian

Default Re: Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
On the contrary, at high speeds, they give a sense of weightlessness and extreme levels of insecurity.
An EPS is poor in terms of feedback, responsiveness and steering weight. Also, it does not provide any back-push either, which is very necessary to be able to drive comfortably and safely at high speeds.
I wholeheartedly agree with this as i presently drive a vehicle without any feedback and a light steering not sufficiently damped at high speed. The terror felt while trying to avoid a dog at 80 on the highway was enough to set my mind thinking about a change. Thank goodness my tyres were upgraded sufficiently. The previous line again and again.

I today formally declare that i am on the way to join the Magnum club.
Old 1st August 2011, 23:01   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with this as i presently drive a vehicle without any feedback and a light steering not sufficiently damped at high speed. The terror felt while trying to avoid a dog at 80 on the highway was enough to set my mind thinking about a change. Thank goodness my tyres were upgraded sufficiently. The previous line again and again.

Welcome to the Magnum club Opti! (or rather, congrats Opti on your Opty )

Last edited by keyur : 1st August 2011 at 23:02.
Old 1st August 2011, 23:31   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Hey mate, Did you TD the cars? What were your opinions? What were your requirements from the car?

@Markiv, I second Keyurs view here. Do let us know of what you think after the TDs.
yea well I did TD the Fluidic 1.6 D and its a hoot to drive. Not the greatest steering feedback of all time, but cant beat it for Value for Money at this price. Amazing pickup with those 128 horses.

Havn't TD'ed Vendo D or Cruze. But personally never liked GM cars, find them dead from driving experience point of view. Cruze with that brute engine must be FAST no doubt but I have not liked the handling on a single GM car till date; and I find Vento design too plane jane for spending that kind of money.

Not buying a car as of now. But if I had 11 L to put in right now, Verna Fluidic 1.6 D is IT.

O and Hyundai if you are listening, I will go n buy one NOW if you launch it in RED

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd August 2011 at 13:33. Reason: Stick to 2 Smileys per post. Read the rules before proceeding
Old 2nd August 2011, 02:32   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Thanks for the new thread Poitive. I have posted my update on CASKA there. Cheers!
You are welcome mate. I hope others too remember that thread and discuss mods there.

Quote:
One place where Magnum seems head and shoulders above the competition is how it is to drive at higher speeds - the handling, the feelback, the composure, the extra power on tap. Totally blew me. Long time Optra Owner @Bharath felt differently (as compared to the Vento). Hoping to hear his replies and comments.

Quote:
Hey! Congrats Mate. The Optimism paid
Carrying on from where Keyur left, had Tbhp allowed a change in handles, you could have called yourself Opty-mist!!!
I like your new picture. Are you going in for a black one - a la Viswesh?

@Viswesh, we haven't heard from you for ages. Not on your ownership thread either. Wonder if you even log onto the forum and that you are doing well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiv View Post
yea well I did TD the Fluidic 1.6 D and its a hoot to drive. Not the greatest steering feedback of all time, but cant beat it for Value for Money at this price. Amazing pickup with those 128 horses.

Havn't TD'ed Vendo D or Cruze. But personally never liked GM cars, find them dead from driving experience point of view. Cruze with that brute engine must be FAST no doubt but I have not liked the handling on a single GM car till date; and I find Vento design too plane jane for spending that kind of money.

Not buying a car as of now. But if I had 11 L to put in right now, Verna Fluidic 1.6 D is IT.
Now since you don't really intend buying a car now, it may be of little interest to you Markiv.

Now keeping in mind that many people (including non-members) refer to this forum to make their choices, will add a few things here.

Besides the sheer lack of feedback, the Fluidic also feels very unsettled at higher speeds. Especially over undulations and loose ground. The NFF is way way ahead in this respect.

A bit on acceleration, power figures et all.

If you are looking for high speed composure in this price segment, the Optra it is, which is also incidentally faster, despite having lesser BHP.

Besides the power (BHP) the other aspects to consider are what RPM the peak BHP is reached at. Also how (the graph) the bhp is reaches from 0 to peak RPM. The graphs for this are usually not released by companies. I couldn't find one when I hunted for them. (in case anyone has a link/source - please share). So, what may be relevant for the acceleration figures is the "area under the line" on a power-rpm graph. One thing indicative of this is the Torque and at what RPM the peak torque is reached. The Optra scores heavily here (quite like the Cruze, which really has she same base engine as the Optra Magnum).

@Markiv, you may be surprised, but the Optra is faster than the Fluidic. Optra/Cruze feel hugely faster, but that is partly due to the surge of power compared to the more linear power delivery of the Fluidic.

TD the Optra(even if it looks dated/plane-Jane) and Cruze. You may return here with a
and forget the looks.
We would love to hear from you after the TDs mate.
Old 2nd August 2011, 12:28   #650
BHPian

Quote:
but cant beat it for Value for Money at this price.
Now that's a first! Could you please elaborate how you found it VFM - what were the specific points here?

Quote:
Amazing pickup with those 128 horses.
Pickup with 128 horses? Shouldn't you be talking about the torque here?
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:00   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Welcome to the Magnum club Opti! (or rather, congrats Opti on your Opty )
Quote:
Hey! Congrats Mate. The Optimism paid
Carrying on from where Keyur left, had Tbhp allowed a change in handles, you could have called yourself Opty-mist!!!
I like your new picture. Are you going in for a black one - a la Viswesh?
I will wait till this evening before formally declaring since I did not pay the mandatory booking amount but I have decided to go for a new beast.

Woke up today morning and realised I have some apprehensions about a pre-owned car and moreover ACC IS a must have feature in my wish list. Did not even tell my wife that I have decided to book a new Magnum though she sensed I was up to something. Drove to the showroom first thing in the morning and finalised the price, thanks to mobike008 who put me on to a good SE at KUN United.

The damages will be: Rs.10.63 lakhs for Black on-road torpedo, LT model. Unfortunately Sandrift grey is not readily available and I do not want to wait any further. Black color is readily available and that has always been the choice of Home Minister. Might as well please HER Highness.

I am also getting the mandatory mud flaps, matting, teflon coating and body cover.

Will reconfirm once I pay the booking amount.
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:28   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
I will wait till this evening before formally declaring since I did not pay the mandatory booking amount but I have decided to go for a new beast.

Woke up today morning and realised I have some apprehensions about a pre-owned car .
Congrats! Just check the VIN (7th and 10th digits) and ensure that it's from July. The digits should be MA6XXXGXXBXXXXXXX or if you get to see the vehicle, check the plate near front left door.
Remember Sreeji Nair and his Optra - better to wait and ensure you get a fresh one, and please please ensure that the car is not brought to the showroom from the stock yard before the day of delivery! Be the first one to take the delivery, as people have a bad habit of 'trying out' pre-delivery card!
Old 2nd August 2011, 14:39   #653
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod : Please do NOT go off-topic. This thread's purpose is to discuss diesel sedans only. We do have dedicated threads for ICE, Mods and the like.
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:40   #654
BHPian

Booked Sandrift Grey Magnum LT today. Delivery expected in 10-15 days. Super excited. Wohooo.
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:57   #655
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Booked Sandrift Grey Magnum LT today. Delivery expected in 10-15 days. Super excited. Wohooo.
Congrats dude. Thats an awesome colour you have choosed. I feel the Optra looks the best in this shade. Do post a detailed ownership review.
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:58   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Hey NoRules!!! That is wonderful news. I see the excitement in your post, even if it is short. So you'll be getting a fresh one from the factory, I presume. Good going mate

S.Grey seems to be THE hot selling colour in the Optra nowdays. It does look good. I think it is a new colour, so that should make the car stand out a bit from the older Optras.

Look forward to hearing more about your purchase and ownership experience. We suddenly seem to be having an interest in the Magnum after NFF release and pricing from many members. You of course, have been keenly looking at this one for a long time. Hope this one brings you good luck as well

--------------------------
IIRC we have had the following people talk about their purchase of an Optra on this thread. (in case some name has been missed out, please add - sorry)
  • pravs19
  • SLK
  • Bydesign
  • Viswesh
  • Optimist
  • NoRules
  • Bydesign (not sure if he was a part of this thread, especially before his purchase)
  • Soulweaver (he was discussing this on a different thread, IIRC)
  • Keyur (our now-regular writer, but I think he purchased this car without really reading this thread).
Hope there will be more people added to this list (including me )

--------------------

People who are/have been a part of this thread and pick up other cars, please post a link to your ownership threads, or at least let us know what you bought. Come on! This isn't an Optra-only thread!!!!!

--------------------

About a thread to discuss upgrades/mods etc on the Optra Magnum - the thread mentioned a few post back has been deleted. Have written to the mods about how it could have been useful. I also recognize the value in using different sections for ICE, Tyres etc. Let us see how the mods think.

Last edited by Poitive : 3rd August 2011 at 19:00. Reason: note to NR on colour
Old 4th August 2011, 00:25   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Great news man! Great car, great colour - and good decision(s) - to not go for a used car and - to order a fresh one and not take the one available in the stockyard/showroom!

Quote:
I think it is a new colour, so that should make the car stand out a bit from the older Optras.
It might stand out among Optras, but not exactly among other cars. Today, while driving, I had stopped at a signal. To my right was a similar coloured Passat and to my left (slightly behind) was a similar coloured City. All the three of us noticed this as all of us rolled down our windows and tried to look at each other's cars, realized it and laughed!
Point being, every manuf seems to be getting this colour in!

Quote:
Hope there will be more people added to this list (including me )
High time man! I thought you already had booked it!

Quote:
About a thread to discuss upgrades/mods etc on the Optra Magnum - the thread mentioned a few post back has been deleted. Have written to the mods about how it could have been useful. I also recognize the value in using different sections for ICE, Tyres etc. Let us see how the mods think.
I actually agree with the mods here. There aren't many things specific to the Optra as such. The upgrades would be generic (like ICE, Tyres etc) and have been discussed quite a lot.
Old 4th August 2011, 00:25   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Hey NoRules!!! That is wonderful news. I see the excitement in your post, even if it is short. So you'll be getting a fresh one from the factory, I presume. Good going mate

S.Grey seems to be THE hot selling colour in the Optra nowdays. It does look good. I think it is a new colour, so that should make the car stand out a bit from the older Optras.

Look forward to hearing more about your purchase and ownership experience. We suddenly seem to be having an interest in the Magnum after NFF release and pricing from many members. You of course, have been keenly looking at this one for a long time. Hope this one brings you good luck as well
Thanks Poitive. Oh yes, excited for sure and the car will be atleast June manufactured. Short post because I had a hectic day.

Sandrift Grey or its variations have been a big success in recent past. See lot of grey ANHCs now a days and even lot of Innovas apart from Magnums.

I was very interested in NFF but 4 factors, in the order of priority, killed the interest:

1. Elbow room in the rear seat
2. Predominantly a driver's car (I might go in for a driver soon)
3. Pricing
4. Power

And last not but the least: I am getting a much bigger class engine / space / comfort for price (much) less than the 1.3 / 1.5 / 1.6L engines albeit a dated model with not as many exciting gadgets.

Hyderabad OTR prices of similarly priced cars, top end / almost top end variant:

NFF Titanium (1.5L) - 12.19L
Vento Highline (1.6L) - 11.45L
AHNV SX (1.6L) - 11L+ (Not sure of the exact price)
SX4 Zdi leather (1.3L) - 10.75

and Optra Magnum LT (2.0L) - 10.63L

While I will be writing my ownership experience once i get the car and use it sufficiently, what tipped the balance in favour of Magnum was the TD. Before I TDed this car I drove Vento, SX4 and also ANHC. Once I drove the Magnum and Cruze I got hooked. Chose Magnum over Cruze because of the space and initial cost though my wife and kids tried their best to convince me to go for Cruze. They certainly fell in love with the interiors of Cruze.
Old 4th August 2011, 00:52   #659
Senior - BHPian

NoRules ~ Congratulations! a fine choice indeed.
I can easily understand why you picked the Magnum over the Cruze.
But have you gone in for the LT model?
why not the LTZ?
Old 4th August 2011, 01:29   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
It might stand out among Optras, but not exactly among other cars. Today, while driving, I had stopped at a signal. To my right was a similar coloured Passat and to my left (slightly behind) was a similar coloured City. All the three of us noticed this as all of us rolled down our windows and tried to look at each other's cars, realized it and laughed!
Point being, every manuf seems to be getting this colour in!
Ah yes! It is very common colour for new cars nowdays. That it is a new colour would make it stand out as one of the newer Optras and not one which was say 8 years old. From the rear, the Magnum looks almost the same as the older Optra.

Quote:
High time man! I thought you already had booked it!
And just what gave you that thought, Keyur?
BTW, any plans to fund my purchase to expedite the process? You saved some by not buying the Cruze you had in mind!!

Quote:
I actually agree with the mods here. There aren't many things specific to the Optra as such. The upgrades would be generic (like ICE, Tyres etc) and have been discussed quite a lot.
Hmmm. The point for the new thread was that there are people who have been on this thread for months and have been discussing things. They may go that extra mile to aid each other. Also that there were many people considering the Optra seriously in the past few days (Optimist, Prabhu, Jakku? and of course NoRules and probably others who are only reading the thread and not commenting). The "features" has always been a concern about this car, so if there was a thread which was a branch of this one, it would have felicitated the interaction. If one posts on the regular threads, many may take a while to understand the needs and then to respond to them. Here there were people who were actively engaged with each other.

Also, ICE is getting more and more car specific (though I think the Optra holds an edge here, by having a standard Double DIN slot - I think this was confirmed by Prabhu from his dealer and reported on the now deleted thread). The Optra is also much heavier than many other cars, so that will have an effect on tyre purchase considerations. What may be suitable to 9xx kg Accents and Etios' may not be suitable for the 1370kg Optra (almost 50% heavier). About mods, how it may differ is that this car anyway makes huge torque so whether a pete's (or other) tuning box makes sense would also differ a bit.

The idea was to have a common platform to discuss these issues as an branch from this thread. Its convenience of interaction with fellows one has been in touch with, would keep the discussion on a public forum, and not on PMs and phone calls, thereby helping others also. One surely sees the merit in having different sections also. Eventually it is the mods' call, of course.

Quote:
Thanks Poitive. Oh yes, excited for sure and the car will be atleast June manufactured. Short post because I had a hectic day.
Thanks for the update, despite the hectic day, mate.

Quote:
Sandrift Grey or its variations have been a big success in recent past. See lot of grey ANHCs now a days and even lot of Innovas apart from Magnums.
It seems to be the new "white" of cars nowdays!
When one thinks from the head, it isn't a good idea though. It doesn't stand out in the background and merges with the road. This may lead to it being noticed just that fraction of a second later by other drivers. Not sure of this, but barring Viswesh's black, all the other Optra's on the forum recently seem to be of this colour.

Quote:
2. Predominantly a driver's car (I might go in for a driver soon)
That was one concern for me too. Eventually, it only really leaves the Manza and Optra in the fray. Fluidic, NFF, Linea and Cruze aren't really suited for this. The SX4 could be considered, but other things weren't really enough in favour of this Maruti.

Quote:
Hyderabad OTR prices of similarly priced cars, top end / almost top end variant:
Prices aside, the Optra seems to be a much better car to drive and be driven in, amongst the competition. Just that it is dated and one is unsure of how long it will remain in production. But as was said in the first few pages of this thread - all cars will get out of production. The bigger point is if we'll keep getting spares. I expect and hope that it won't be an issue. GM is here to stay and seems serious enough about it's India market. Has this been a Renault product, I would not have considered it as seriously.

Quote:
While I will be writing my ownership experience once i get the car and use it sufficiently, what tipped the balance in favour of Magnum was the TD. Before I TDed this car I drove Vento, SX4 and also ANHC. Once I drove the Magnum and Cruze I got hooked. Chose Magnum over Cruze because of the space and initial cost though my wife and kids tried their best to convince me to go for Cruze. They certainly fell in love with the interiors of Cruze.
Do expect you'll keep in touch with this thread, NoRules. Your observations as a user could add value to others considering a sedan in this segment.

For me too, it was quite similar -
Just a TD of the Optra Magnum and the story changed. Nothing appealed enough. This seemed way way ahead on the basics of a car (not gizmos).
That is why I have been a bit pushy in suggesting people to at least Test Drive this car. @drmohitg and others would vouch for this!!!! LOL.

Even if they do the bare minimum of changing the dash and have steering mounted controls, this car would appeal to a much broader audience. But I guess GM has other priorities - Upgrading the Cruze to the z series engine, The Beat Diesel, the new Aveo and Uva (whatever name they come by).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
NoRules ~ Congratulations! a fine choice indeed.
I can easily understand why you picked the Magnum over the Cruze.
But have you gone in for the LT model?
why not the LTZ?
No LTZ model in this one mate. Just LS or LT. There used to be a base model called Max, but it has been a while since it has been discontinued.

Last edited by Poitive : 4th August 2011 at 01:51.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread