Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


View Poll Results: Which is a VFM second hand diesel car under 4.5L?
Ford Fusion plus 18 9.47%
Ford Ikon 3 1.58%
Ford Fiesta (old) 49 25.79%
Mahindra Logan 33 17.37%
Swift Vdi 57 30.00%
Ritz Vdi 20 10.53%
Any other vehicle (suggest on the thread) 10 5.26%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2011, 23:37   #1
BHPian
 
abheekg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 685
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Wanted VFM second hand diesel car: Ford Fusion 'vs' Logan/Ikon/Fiesta/Swift/Ritz

Dear all
My first posting in this section is in the form of this question regarding which second hand diesel car should I buy with new generation fuel efficient diesel engine.

Reading through the various posts on the forum and matching the specs of various cars with my set of requirements I have been able to short list the following cars for me :

(1) Ford Fusion tdci (either the simple model or the Fusion plus version)
(2) Mahindra Logan
(3) Ford Ikon tdci
(4) Ford Fiesta tdci
(5) Swift/Ritz vdi

My criteria:
1. Car should not be more than mid 2008 model.
2. Engine should be fuel efficient giving 15+ kmpl in city.
3. Should be a comfortable highway cruiser.
4. Should be spacious.
5. Should have good Ground clearance.
6. Should be a proven performer.
7. Should not be too heavy on the pocket to maintain.
8. This will be my daily driving car in city and also a vehicle which will see extensive highway travels, 1000km+ drives every 2 months.
9. My max budget is 4.5 Lakhs.

My heart says Ford Fusion and I have found 2 vehicles - both mid 2008 model - one run for 33000 kms (has seen complete engine change at 10k) and the other that has run for 55000 kms.

But my mind cautions me to aware of supposedly high maintenance cost of ford vehicles in general ( is it true ? ) and the fact that this is a discontinued vehicle (so difficulty in spare availability) and other factors.

On the other hand, reading the 2-3 diesel ford fusion ownership reports here and interacting on yahoo fusion group, I understand that the Fusion is a vehicle that cant be easily pushed under the carpet.

Pitted against the Fusion are the likes of Logan, Ikon, old Fiesta, Swift, Ritz.

Its very difficult to get a low mileage second hand Logan, but if I can get one I think that could be a very good option . Loses out on the GC aspect though.

Ikon and the old Fiesta are also discontinued ford vehicles, also falling short on GC.

Swift - well, I dont feel like buying one, but may be a practical choice in the end, also available in large numbers and customisable.

Ritz - can it be considered as a comfortable mile cruncher.

Both the Marutis will be very easy to maintain though.

Help me decide friends.
Have I missed listing any worthy vehicle here? And no, the Figo doesn't fit a lot of my criteria.

Regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2011, 23:50   #2
BHPian
 
archat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 695
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Wanted VFM second hand diesel car: Ford Fusion 'vs' Logan/Ikon/Fiesta/Swift/Ritz

FE, easy and low cost of maintenance, fun to drive points out to Swift / ritz.
If you want a larger boot space get the Fiesta.
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 00:02   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,839
Thanked: 1,319 Times
Default Re: Wanted VFM second hand diesel car: Ford Fusion 'vs' Logan/Ikon/Fiesta/Swift/Ritz

I'd suggest a getz crdi if you can find one
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 00:44   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
rider60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bhagyanagaram. (A.K.A. Hyderabad)
Posts: 1,619
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Wanted VFM second hand diesel car: Ford Fusion 'vs' Logan/Ikon/Fiesta/Swift/Ritz

get the diesel fiesta, more sensible option considering your requirements, it does give us 15+KMPL in the city, and that is when dad uses it, he revs it a little higher in the lower gears and still manages this mileage. it wont be chucked off any time sooner and the spares and maintenance with this is also reasonable.

well one question though, how long do you plan to keep this car?
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 00:44   #5
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,602 Times
Default Re: Wanted VFM second hand diesel car: Ford Fusion 'vs' Logan/Ikon/Fiesta/Swift/Ritz

The Swift would be your best bet. Try and find a good example. There are several battered ones out there.

If you want something with a boot, the Fiesta would be your ideal car. In fact, you wouldn't even have to buy a second-hand Fiesta. If you can wait for some time, Ford should announce the arrival of the new Fiesta, thus dropping the current one a segment below. You could get your hands on a brand new diesel sedan.

Choose wisely.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 00:47   #6
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: Wanted VFM second hand diesel car: Ford Fusion 'vs' Logan/Ikon/Fiesta/Swift/Ritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
But my mind cautions me to aware of supposedly high maintenance cost of ford vehicles in general ( is it true ? ) and the fact that this is a discontinued vehicle (so difficulty in spare availability) and other factors.
May have been true once, but not nowadays. Ford has localized most parts, so prices of spare parts has come down quite a bit. There was a recent comparison with Maruti and Hyundai regarding prices of common spare parts and replacements. Ford prices, specially for Fiesta were at par with other OEMs. Further, spares for Fiesta and Ikon should be available for next few years. Fusion, I am not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Ikon and the old Fiesta are also discontinued ford vehicles, also falling short on GC.
Ikon and Fiesta does not bottom out unless pitted in extreme conditions.

I would suggest to go for a 08 Fiesta Diesel. The interiors are good, trunk space is vast, FE is super. Ride and handling is also very good. Only it is a bit sluggish on highways.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 03:23   #7
BHPian
 
torquecurve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 598
Thanked: 629 Times
Default Re: Wanted VFM second hand diesel car: Ford Fusion 'vs' Logan/Ikon/Fiesta/Swift/Ritz

Why dont you consider the Indigo series. You can get a 2010 CS for 4.5 lacs. It has good FE, is comfortable, cheap to maintain, good highway car, safety features also! You could also try for Vista QDJ. You could eve get a new Vista or the indigo ecs if you stretched your budget a bit. That way you can avoid the heartburn of getting a bad used car.

Last edited by torquecurve : 10th April 2011 at 03:28. Reason: more points
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 08:59   #8
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,756
Thanked: 4,346 Times
Default Re: Wanted VFM second hand diesel car: Ford Fusion 'vs' Logan/Ikon/Fiesta/Swift/Ritz

Abheek, since you are looking at used cars, I think you dont need to depend completely on A.S.S for support. This is for both, warranty and for controlling costs of servicing. I will suggest you avoid the Ford cars here, unless you can manage the servicing. Ford does not give parts outside. And you have to depened completely on them for even a small part.

Eg: if you want a wiper blade, they will not give it without a job card. And a job card means an additional Rs 60-75 (minimum) for labor.

Try the Maruti / Tata. If original Logan spares are available outside the A.S.S, then Logan will also be a good choice.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 09:00   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 1,007
Thanked: 760 Times
Default Re: Wanted VFM second hand diesel car: Ford Fusion 'vs' Logan/Ikon/Fiesta/Swift/Ritz

Logan:
- Easily get it below 3.5 Lacs in very good condition, because of big depreciation
- Built to last
- Gem of an Engine
- Best in Class Space
- Excellent Driveability and Handling
- Fuel Efficiency of around 17 KMPL in City with AC
- Cheap Spares
- Comfortable Highway Cruising at 120-130 kmph
- Excellent performance on Hill Driving, due to good low end

Not just recommending this, because I own one, but because I have driven almost all the other cars extensively, and still believe that this delivers maximum bang for the buck.
The Fusion is a better car, but maintenance costs can get high due to high Ford Spare Part Cost. Fusion starts getting rickety after 4-5 years of ownership. Ikon is built to last, but space? Swift is great, if you can live with a hatchback and hardly any space for luggage. Ritz, IMHO, is a No Go. Indica / Indigo again become unreliable with age. If you can find one of the Quadrajets, that may be a good buy.

Last edited by roy_libran : 10th April 2011 at 09:00. Reason: Formatting Errors
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 09:11   #10
v&v
Senior - BHPian
 
v&v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,538
Thanked: 1,068 Times
Default Re: Wanted VFM second hand diesel car: Ford Fusion 'vs' Logan/Ikon/Fiesta/Swift/Ritz

Abheek,if hatch suits your need i would suggest ritz. It will not carry the premium of swift and 09 model with reasonable milage should be in your budget. Do test drive it once.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 09:38   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 567
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Wanted VFM second hand diesel car: Ford Fusion 'vs' Logan/Ikon/Fiesta/Swift/Ritz

A new Indica Vista QJD is your best bet in my opinion. It is a highly underrated car for the price it comes and the comfort it offers. Fit and finish is decent and on par if not better than its rivals (better than swift). Check it yourself with a test drive.

Last edited by muni : 10th April 2011 at 09:40.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 10:52   #12
BHPian
 
archat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 695
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Wanted VFM second hand diesel car: Ford Fusion 'vs' Logan/Ikon/Fiesta/Swift/Ritz

If you are going to drive the car - look no further , get a Swift D / Ritz D. The peppy engine will make smile while driving.
As suggested by Greenhorn Getz CRDi is also a good option but very hard to find. I was looking for one for a long time but failed come across even one in Kolkata. So, finally settled for Swift Vdi.
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 11:33   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,624
Thanked: 446 Times
Default Re: Wanted VFM second hand diesel car: Ford Fusion 'vs' Logan/Ikon/Fiesta/Swift/Ritz

The logan is quite a car. Its extremely spacious especially at the rear and can seat 3 abreast in comfort. As far as how frugal it is, it seems the digital fuel gauge never wants to go down. Its one of those cars you should have if you love to travel, as its so fuel efficient you will be left amazed.
All this and a few other factors make the logan absolute VFM. A proposition IMO you just cant go wrong with.

If you want something with a bit more driver involvement then there is no looking away from the dirsel fiesta. Well balanced with great handling characteristics. Is quite fuel efficient too.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 11:55   #14
BHPian
 
abheekg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 685
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Re: Wanted VFM second hand diesel car: Ford Fusion 'vs' Logan/Ikon/Fiesta/Swift/Ritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
FE, easy and low cost of maintenance, fun to drive points out to Swift / ritz.
If you want a larger boot space get the Fiesta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The Swift would be your best bet. Try and find a good example. There are several battered ones out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Try the Maruti / Tata.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Swift is great, if you can live with a hatchback and hardly any space for luggage. Ritz, IMHO, is a No Go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Abheek,if hatch suits your need i would suggest ritz. It will not carry the premium of swift and 09 model with reasonable milage should be in your budget. Do test drive it once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
If you are going to drive the car - look no further , get a Swift D / Ritz D. The peppy engine will make smile while driving.
As suggested by Greenhorn Getz CRDi is also a good option but very hard to find. I was looking for one for a long time but failed come across even one in Kolkata. So, finally settled for Swift Vdi.
There are definitely certain very strong points for the Swift/Ritz.
I don't mind a hatchback, infact prefer one but the very fact that every second car that you come across on the road tis days is a swift puts me off.

If its maruti, I am more inclined to the Ritz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I'd suggest a getz crdi if you can find one
Getz crdi... thats an interesting option ! time to do my homework I guess.
How's the fuel efficiency of maybe a 3 year old getz and maintenance costs ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
well one question though, how long do you plan to keep this car?
I plan to keep the car for atleast 3-4 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
get the diesel fiesta, more sensible option considering your requirements, it does give us 15+KMPL in the city, and that is when dad uses it, he revs it a little higher in the lower gears and still manages this mileage. it wont be chucked off any time sooner and the spares and maintenance with this is also reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I would suggest to go for a 08 Fiesta Diesel. The interiors are good, trunk space is vast, FE is super. Ride and handling is also very good. Only it is a bit sluggish on highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
If you want something with a boot, the Fiesta would be your ideal car. In fact, you wouldn't even have to buy a second-hand Fiesta. If you can wait for some time, Ford should announce the arrival of the new Fiesta, thus dropping the current one a segment below. You could get your hands on a brand new diesel sedan.

Choose wisely.
Ford just announced the new fiesta 3 days back. I am still not sure of the on road pricing of the new car though. Good highway manners and comfortable mile cruncher is definitely a must have criteria on my shopping list. I will definitely not prefer a sluggish highway car. Have already registered for the TD of the new fiesta.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
May have been true once, but not nowadays. Ford has localized most parts, so prices of spare parts has come down quite a bit.

Ikon and Fiesta does not bottom out unless pitted in extreme conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
The Fusion is a better car, but maintenance costs can get high due to high Ford Spare Part Cost. Fusion starts getting rickety after 4-5 years of ownership. Ikon is built to last, but space?
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Abheek, since you are looking at used cars, I think you dont need to depend completely on A.S.S for support. This is for both, warranty and for controlling costs of servicing. I will suggest you avoid the Ford cars here, unless you can manage the servicing. Ford does not give parts outside. And you have to depened completely on them for even a small part.

Eg: if you want a wiper blade, they will not give it without a job card. And a job card means an additional Rs 60-75 (minimum) for labor.

So, I guess the Fusion loses the race and goes out of contention. I don't want to be stuck with a lemon and something thats very expensive to maintain.

Are ford spares not at all available in the markets. I reckon that since I am buying a second hand car, most of my servicing will be done by the friendly roadside mechanic. Will the roadside mechanic be competent enough to handle such cars if I am not depending on Ford A.S.S. ? Thats a big question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
There was a recent comparison with Maruti and Hyundai regarding prices of common spare parts and replacements. Ford prices, specially for Fiesta were at par with other OEMs. Further, spares for Fiesta and Ikon should be available for next few years. Fusion, I am not sure.
Where was this study published? Can you give me a lead so that I could check it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Why dont you consider the Indigo series. You can get a 2010 CS for 4.5 lacs. It has good FE, is comfortable, cheap to maintain, good highway car, safety features also! You could also try for Vista QDJ. You could eve get a new Vista or the indigo ecs if you stretched your budget a bit. That way you can avoid the heartburn of getting a bad used car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Indica / Indigo again become unreliable with age. If you can find one of the Quadrajets, that may be a good buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
A new Indica Vista QJD is your best bet in my opinion. It is a highly underrated car for the price it comes and the comfort it offers. Fit and finish is decent and on par if not better than its rivals (better than swift). Check it yourself with a test drive.
Indigo CS may be a good option. But isn't the engine on this car a e-Series engine ? How good is this engine with regards to fuel efficiency and maintenance. If I include the indigo cs in my list, that throws up a lot of interesting and I believe low budget options.


Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If original Logan spares are available outside the A.S.S, then Logan will also be a good choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Logan:
- Easily get it below 3.5 Lacs in very good condition, because of big depreciation
- Built to last
- Gem of an Engine
- Best in Class Space
- Excellent Driveability and Handling
- Fuel Efficiency of around 17 KMPL in City with AC
- Cheap Spares
- Comfortable Highway Cruising at 120-130 kmph
- Excellent performance on Hill Driving, due to good low end

Not just recommending this, because I own one, but because I have driven almost all the other cars extensively, and still believe that this delivers maximum bang for the buck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
The logan is quite a car. Its extremely spacious especially at the rear and can seat 3 abreast in comfort. As far as how frugal it is, it seems the digital fuel gauge never wants to go down. Its one of those cars you should have if you love to travel, as its so fuel efficient you will be left amazed.
All this and a few other factors make the logan absolute VFM. A proposition IMO you just cant go wrong with.

If you want something with a bit more driver involvement then there is no looking away from the dirsel fiesta. Well balanced with great handling characteristics. Is quite fuel efficient too.

I am a big fan of the original Logan too. One of the most fuel efficient and comfortable highway cars that I have driven. The only problem I face is that I am unable to find any logan (2008) with low mileage of less than 50,000 Kms.

Logan spares, I believe is available in the open market.

What do you have to say about the GC of the Logan ,sir ?

Finally , is the Logan CS - a reality or a myth ? When are we expecting the shortened Logan? How will it be priced? ? Will it be my ultimate solution ?

So is it going to be old Swift/Ritz 'vs' New Ford fiesta 'vs' Logan cs ??


Thanks for all the inputs friends, and I am sure that with all the right pointers, I will be able to crack this dilemma soon. My projected buying period is in the next 3 months.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

Last edited by abheekg : 10th April 2011 at 12:03.
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 12:55   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
rider60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bhagyanagaram. (A.K.A. Hyderabad)
Posts: 1,619
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Wanted VFM second hand diesel car: Ford Fusion 'vs' Logan/Ikon/Fiesta/Swift/Ritz

^^^

all right since you have chosen logan, there is a small con it comes with, small to some, but for city traffic drivers it can be a nightmare.

the thing and only one i really dont like about logan is the really hard clutch!!!

if you think you can live with it its an excellent allround car, i wish you a happy car hunting.
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Fusion to Fusion: My Ford Fusion Diesel Plus (TDCi/DuraTorq) Glass Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 87 9th July 2013 19:50
Are VFM cars really VFM? - Cabs are wrong examples? WindRide The Indian Car Scene 5 21st March 2010 20:35
Wise decision-First hand car or second hand car Surprise Hatchbacks 51 4th October 2009 20:04
Urgent! Ford Fiesta Diesel, Logan Diesel vs Hyndai Verna Diesel Zahir Sedans 3 26th May 2008 10:37
Accent or Ford Ikon Flair? Second hand car choices!! maddy42 Sedans 26 16th May 2008 17:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks