Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 11th October 2017, 16:23   #631
BHPian

Default Re: Home Construction/Makeover/Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Get a contractor to inject chemicals (Dr Fixit is one of them) on the walls and ceiling of both your bathrooms. Done properly with authorised contractor your problem will be solved once and for all.
Thanks for the suggestion. But the issue is - it will not solve the root cause which is that of the water collecting above my bathroom ceiling. By the injection the cracks may get filled but after a few months the water will find a way to damage the other portions of the ceiling.

As the owner above is willing to let me bring the engineer(?) to check his bathroom to pinpoint the source of leakage, I would like to get a reliable person who can detect the source of leakage.

Are there any technologies which can detect leakages in non-invasive manner - like using ultrasound / infrared devices?
AltoLXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 11:14   #632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. But the issue is - it will not solve the root cause which is that of the water collecting above my bathroom ceiling. By the injection the cracks may get filled but after a few months the water will find a way to damage the other portions of the ceiling.

As the owner above is willing to let me bring the engineer(?) to check his bathroom to pinpoint the source of leakage, I would like to get a reliable person who can detect the source of leakage.

Are there any technologies which can detect leakages in non-invasive manner - like using ultrasound / infrared devices?
Injecting chemicals will close all the micro cracks through which water propagates, so that there is no seepage for at least 10 years. Of course the water leaks may find another route.

The most common cause of water seepage from bathrooms is the gap at the top of the pipe has a gap where it connects with the floor/trap. If that is so, then filling the gap with grout should suffice. If the gap is large (> 10mm) then inserting a plastic pipe and heat sealing will do.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2017, 02:56   #633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
A loose connection on either side of the switch is the most probable cause.
Yup. Got it fixed. Thank you.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote