Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 24th January 2006, 21:05   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
about the hockey team - just watch the PHL telecast on ESPN every evening and you will realise the quality of play - so shoddy and pathetic. maan i just have to change the channel !
Well...I enjoy it...Something is better than nothing ...With half the Pakistani Hockey Team playing in the PHL..it certainly is fun...

I personally think hockey as a sport has much more potential for attracting money/glamour & instant gratification - it's just a 70 min game - it can do what Football has done to Europe..

I we have more talent in hockey..it's just a question of nurturing that talent & giving enough Commercial Motivation to talented people to pursue with the game
paharino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 22:12   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Ok guys cut the arguments .. What each of u said does hold true to a certain extent .. And coming to the point of fitness , yes cricket is a game that doesnt require the kind of flexing muscles that u do in hockey , football , basketball etc ..

If u watch closely , say tomorrow just try and count the number of times a fielder at long on , long off , shrt mid-wicket etc catch a ball or run behind it .. Hardly 20-30 times a day ( which is not tiring at all ) .. One must realise that cricket is a mental game as well as a physical game ( specially for the batsmen , bowlers and wicket keeper ) .. It has its own pros and cons ..

I have played cricket for both the state and was selected for the nationals under 18 too and have played football for the state too .. And trust me, its far more difficult to stand on a football field ( yes for that 90 minutes ) than on a cricket field though u are at it the whole day .. This is from my personal experience ..

There is a lot more to cricket behind the scenes than that thats shown on TV .. I know u guys have seen this , but do u think every fielder stands and fields the whole day .. Nope all of them take a break and head into the dressing room atleast 4 times a day , thats a good break of 10-15 mins or so ... Do u know that every bowler after a spell of heads to the dressing room again .. That way i appreciate the efforts of a wicket keeper who has to stand and keep the whole day.. Not to mention that they are supplied with unlimited supply of energy drinks and what not ..

I state again that cricket isnt THAT PHYSICAL a game , but added to that their mental toughness that it requires is what is appreciable ..
thats bull pal ! if u say football is more demanding than cricket , have u played professional badminton ?? i have played it at state level and its physically much much more demanding than football and it might only last 15-20 mins.

u say cricketers have to stand and field only sometimes in the day - but pal , in foot ball 11 players play togather , have you thought about 2 batsmen alone in the field trying to concentrate hard and play ?? its mentally and physically sapping - u have to be on your toes and mentally focused too. not that u dont have to concentrate in football.

we cant compare 2 sports - each has different sets and types of fitness.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 22:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

NC, all McL is saying is that football is more physically demanding than cricket. Badminton may well be worse (I know it is), but just you try playing squash!

McL, thanks for the comparison. I guess, having played at such a high level, you are somewhat qualified to comment.

I never said Bhupathi was ranked No 1 last year. He was ranked earlier, when he was with Paes, they were 1 and 3 individually, and the No 1 team.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 22:30   #34
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
thats bull pal ! if u say football is more demanding than cricket , have u played professional badminton ?? i have played it at state level and its physically much much more demanding than football and it might only last 15-20 mins.

u say cricketers have to stand and field only sometimes in the day - but pal , in foot ball 11 players play togather , have you thought about 2 batsmen alone in the field trying to concentrate hard and play ?? its mentally and physically sapping - u have to be on your toes and mentally focused too. not that u dont have to concentrate in football.

we cant compare 2 sports - each has different sets and types of fitness.
Yes NC badminton might be more demanding that football .. Did i deny that .. Also coming to the point u made about football atleast the other 9 dont just stand and watch the other player with the ball run around .. The entire field as a whole runs back and forth with the player handling the ball and at a scary pace .. Thats if u know how football is played which is not like cricket , where except the bowler,keeper and 1 fielder none move their legs except for that move-in .. Coming to the batsmen , i guess most of their runs are singles/twos which are taken pretty comfortably if not all the time .. wonder how much of running do batsmen do in tests as compared to the footballers as a whole .. Heck these days i even see batsmen cooly walking singles in one-dayers too ..

Also i was selected to come in at number 3 for the nationals ( U-18 ) too , so i guess i am in a position to judge a batsmens point of view about the physical demands .. I too have said that criket involves both physical and mental fitness , but the degree of physical effort is less compared to that of football which in turn as u say might be less compared to badminton ..

U are entitled to ur point of view but calling my view points "BULL" is not appreciated .. I said they do get enough brakes to relax along the time of play .. And ya pls do count how many times each player fields the ball tomorrow and let us know .. Will be an interesting statistic ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 24th January 2006 at 22:36.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 22:32   #35
Senior - BHPian

Abbe oye!

One timepass topic I post manages to generate so much heat ?????????

Get back to cars, all of you!
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 23:41   #36
BHPian

he certainly is a very talented player.... might become a future tendulkar !! He always has a very good run rate and is getting better match by match. He will surely become a great batsman

Last edited by vinod : 25th January 2006 at 00:00.
vinod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 23:45   #37
jat
BHPian

Quite interesting topic. It has started lot of action. I love it man.

The sports which I have participates and I would rate them as follows: Swimming>Hockey>Football>Cricket>Carrom>Chess as far as physical demanding but if we take it as mentally demanding then everybody would agree that it is not the same order. We combine both, physical and mental conditions then again it would be a different order.

So when we are talking about Dhoni, we are talking about cricket and if we compare it to other sports is not OK. OK, for you lets us talk about the greatest of guys in racing - Sena, or in football Pele, Maradona (do we have any body like them) or in hockey - Dhayanchand.

People love the winners most of the time. Remeber the one day cricket, nobody was interested till India won the world cup. Also have you noted that India has produced great players like Dhayanchand, Sania, etc without much of media coverage or any corporates getting involved with them. Corporate crowd comes after them when only they know they can make lot of money.

The batting of Dhoni and Pathan was really great considering the pressure (due to loss of wickets + politics).

Have you guys noticed something funny? Guys from cricket entered Bollywood, Bollywood guys enters politics, and now we politicians entering cricket. Now what next.
jat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 11:34   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Yes NC badminton might be more demanding that football .. Did i deny that .. Also coming to the point u made about football atleast the other 9 dont just stand and watch the other player with the ball run around .. The entire field as a whole runs back and forth with the player handling the ball and at a scary pace .. Thats if u know how football is played which is not like cricket , where except the bowler,keeper and 1 fielder none move their legs except for that move-in .. Coming to the batsmen , i guess most of their runs are singles/twos which are taken pretty comfortably if not all the time .. wonder how much of running do batsmen do in tests as compared to the footballers as a whole .. Heck these days i even see batsmen cooly walking singles in one-dayers too ..

Also i was selected to come in at number 3 for the nationals ( U-18 ) too , so i guess i am in a position to judge a batsmens point of view about the physical demands .. I too have said that criket involves both physical and mental fitness , but the degree of physical effort is less compared to that of football which in turn as u say might be less compared to badminton ..

U are entitled to ur point of view but calling my view points "BULL" is not appreciated .. I said they do get enough brakes to relax along the time of play .. And ya pls do count how many times each player fields the ball tomorrow and let us know .. Will be an interesting statistic ..
McL - Bull was said as reference not as an insult - if thats hurt your sentiments , i'm sorry.

but i need to learn man how football is played ? how many players ? 5? 7?

pal - i have played cricket and football at the junior level too - lawntennis and badminton too - trust me when i say that playing any of those games was equally tiring. but then maybe u must have played a different level of football and cricket that unlucky people like me might not have had the good fortune to experience.

and yeah did u guys see the BEAMER that Shoaib threw ? and to top it never apologised ! and we dint even mention it in the press conference or bring it to the notice of the match refree or umpires !
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 13:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Abbe oye!

One timepass topic I post manages to generate so much heat ?????????

Get back to cars, all of you!
In india, Cricket, sex and religion can bring in amounts of discussions/money you can never ever imagine .
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 13:49   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
In india, Cricket, sex and religion can bring in amounts of discussions/money you can never ever imagine .
Nah...nothing compares to politics buddy !! I think 90% of media coverage is about politics
paharino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2006, 01:19   #41
jat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1
Nah...nothing compares to politics buddy !! I think 90% of media coverage is about politics

But majority of guys gets interested only when there is a scam

RK :-})
jat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2006, 02:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon
Yes. Indian hockey has gone pathetic. Dhyan Chand will be cursing these guys from his grave, going by the way these people play. India is nowhere in contention in hockey. It is loosing consistently whereas relatively new teams like South Korea, Argentina, etc are doing good.

It is not entirely true that sportsmen other than cricketers are not getting their dues. Whoever performs well are certainly getting enough publicity and endorsements. Case in example being Rajavardhan Singh Rathore and Sania Mirza.
So true about the Hockey. I would be inclined to lock all the Indian squad in a cowshed for a few weeks and adminster them a good beating for the way they let the nation down on such a regular basis. Dhanraj Pillay although a great player in his hey days has long been past it, all he ever does is winge like a 2 year old child. The rest are no better, the Punjab players have been accorded DSP rank in the police and act like DSP on the pitch waiting for the SHO to do their dirty work. They can don their fancy new shirts but the fact remains they are rubbish. I honestly cannot see them winning a major title ever again, too many big heads who think the sun actually shines out their behinds. I hope they get their act together for the series against Pak.

At least Rathore and Mirza are still doing a fine job and showing that they are good professionals.

There are also a few pansies who get selected for the amateur boxing team on a regular basis. They could not beat lowly juniors let alone experienced seniors. The only quality boxer I have seen in the last few years was Mohhammed Ali Qaymar. He had quality written all over him. It is strange to see some of these truly poor amateurs getting a chance to represent their country. I would rather they stayed at home instead of travelling across the world to embarrass India.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2006, 03:37   #43
BHPian

Of the new breed of sportman who have led india to pole position on world stage dhoni is the man..not only has he cemented his position in the squad but also has most certainly resolved the much ailed wicketkeepin allrounder issue ...that got all of us goin..didnt it? nthin short of brilliance his antics are redefines the art of sloggin as if hes self proclaiming the art itself....strong bullied man has had the most of the opportunity given ...unconventional and ohh-not-so-bookish he is pleasure for millions who have starved wathcin big game players hit the knuckles..

indian hockey has adorned a strage look with some serious allegations looming over punjab sports administrators in mixing their selfinterests with team selection...future looks bleak but with ESPNstar's PHL audacious nut brave initiative has brought some fervour in the game ...and fortunately it will bring some sanity in place which sadly has been missin...

sports by and large has incorporated a sense of purpose with ever improving standards, bursaries and funds provided by the govt. sports complexes growing across the sector, interests being converged into viable career options...broad minded idealogies adopted by local sports administrators - have all contributed siginificantly in decoratin that dream that has long been awaited - OLYMPIC GOLD N WORLD CUP ..amen
ambylimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2006, 03:42   #44
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Sorry to disappoint Zappo, but Mahesh Bhupathi was ranked world no 1 in both men's doubles and mixed doubles. He has also won, if I'm not mistaken, all the Grand Slam tournaments.
yh he has won all the grand slam tournaments as mixed doubles player ..so was he his team ranked #1...yh true...also as everyonw knows infamous pair of LEEHESH won two WIMBLEDON championships in row..
Old 26th January 2006, 03:45   #45
BHPian

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by F 50
Yeah yeah Brett Lee vs Dhoni at WACA Ground, Perth that should me more interesting.
Or Dhoni vs Warne, he might hit him few sixes which whole country will boast about but then ... every leg spinner is not Kaneria.

Yea gotto leave the ground for a leak out and as they cant join in the middle of the over so it takes 10 mins.
And as far as supplying drink is concerned, you said you played at state level and must be knowing that it is indeed very difficult to bowl in such temperatures (im talking bout India) so I dont think theres anything wrong in it.
Its sad that batsmen cant take a break while batting so after a over where he ran few quick singles signals the dressing room for liquid.
yh rite sports administrators are heavily loaded with insanity and headless logic..