Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 24th January 2006, 12:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default About Dhoni's histronics and other sports talk

I dont know how many of you watched Mahendra Singh Dhoni in action yesterday, but his innings when the chips were down brought back memories of a certain I V A Richards.

For all the big names in the squad (and the BIG name who only scores for the records books) Dhoni's innings was a lesson to learn from. Given that this was a batsman's paradise, his gumption in the face of some aggressive bowling from the fastest in the world was phenomenal. I liked the way he swatted the chap for a six after taking some scorchers aimed at his body....

Way to go, Dhoni. Way to go, India!
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 13:03   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Hhhmmm ... Good point steeroid .. Finally the young guns are living upto the expectations .. But as usual how long ?? is the question to be asked .. Hopefully these guys wont be heroes for a couple of months and then disappear into the dark shadows a little later ..

Talking of which more than dhoni's play i was impressed by irfan pathan's tempermant as a batsmen .. Boy werent afridi and shoib retorting to some sledging there .. He sure has the skill to be the next big all rounder ..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 13:07   #3
BHPian

more than the knock, i like the attitude of the young guns like dhoni, pathan and yuvraj. i feel yuvraj was the first one of this generation to infuse this attitude into the team.

way to go guys....
tifosikrishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 13:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes. It was a wonderful effort by Dhoni. I watched the highlights, but I really doubt whether the innings was any different. Dhoni's temperament and the attitude of "I will give it back to you" really impressed me. The fact that the world's fastest bowler had to resort to sledging and bowling beamer to Dhoni out of frustration speaks a lot about this innings. Way to go Dhoni. I have the confidence to go on and make this statement now, "We have found our Adam Gilchrist" in Dhoni.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 14:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Dhoni has a typical non indian attitude to whatever he does....
He is a different personality in looks as well long hair, broad chested, fearless and very confident to take on the world....
Even yesterday when he walked in, it was a volatile situation for the batting team.....But to Mr Dhoni it had no effect....he played one of the best counter attacking knock to dent the pakistani's.....
This guy is here to stay n serve for long...
Even though many have criticised his technique.....its doesn't bother him much he believes it making runs be it his butcher style of batting.....n boy doesn't he succeed..!!!!
But Dhoni's innings was also well complimented by Irfan Pathan....What a player!!! :opening bowler who has a batting technique compared to the best....n can sometimes stun u with his hitting abilities
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 14:08   #6
BHPian

Today Morning was special... The Shoaib Over to Dhoni in which he hit him for 3 fours & then the beamer bowled by Shoaib..
Shows the frustation in the Puki Team
paharino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 14:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

his 2 consequtive sixes off kaneria after the bowler threw the ball at him was a sight to watch ...

good bye ganguly
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 14:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

yeah - i caught the highlights too and watched dhoni smash the bowlers - his fearless batting against akhtar & co was a sight to behold , while a certain mr tendulkar seemed to bat like a meek guy on his debut !

delirious as i am - i still think these wickets are flat and slow aiding his hooking and pulling, i will be perfectly satisfied when dhoni takes on brett lee on the bouncy wickets of australia or a ntini in S africa and wins the battle there too.....till then im enjoying the pakis get back what they had gave us during the 80's.

ps- dont u think we need another bowler now that pathan has taken over as ganguly's substitute ?
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 15:08   #9
Team-BHP Support

I agree with you guys. We do need more players with Dhoni's attitude. It was nice to see his grit and determination when the pressure was on - reminds me of lesser known players like Ian Healey & Ridley Jacobs. It was also nice to see Irfan provide him with the necessary support.
Old star, Ganguly is on his way out and as things are not improving, it would be good for Tendulkar to make way for another M. S. Dhoni.
Aditya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 15:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

The attack on the Pakistani bowling by Dhoni and Pathan was a treat to watch. However I felt disappointed that Pathan lost out on a hundred once again. The new boys have started to come of age and its nice to see the fighting spirit of the youngsters.

Could this be the time for Mr. Tendulkar to hang up his helmet and gloves? I feel so
Dippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 17:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Man, I love the way you guys glorify some dude with orange hair.

Just FYI, how many of you know that India won the 2005 Cricket World Cup? For the deaf and the mute.

I'm sorry if I sound cynical, but people get paid millions for what is probably the least physically challenging sport, while hockey players are Railway TTs and swimming champs take classes to pay bills.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 17:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r

the manner in which he played the paki's does deserve praise ...and about the hockey players ...let them play well ..we will be definitely having a thread for them as well
Old 24th January 2006, 17:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dye your hair orange and see if you can take on 150 kmph *****, v1p3r....

As for hockey and others - let them reach somewhere on the world calendar...rather than falling by the wayside to 3rd rate teams time and again. The hockey team is an insult to a nation that has been at the pinnacle of the sport. BTW, I played hockey for school and district, and never played cricket. I also spent a packet and a whole lot of my voice rooting for India at an unfortunate world cup where they ended up last. They dont deserve whatever peanuts they are getting.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 17:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just FYI, how many of you know that India won the 2005 Cricket World Cup? For the deaf and the mute.
yes i knew - but u must blame the media too ...people read what they get to read not what they want - else newspapers would be spmething very different !

Quote:
I'm sorry if I sound cynical, but people get paid millions for what is probably the least physically challenging sport, while hockey players are Railway TTs and swimming champs take classes to pay bills.
Least Physically Challenging ?? how did you come to that conclusion ? its no joke pal...standing for 6 hours in 42 degrees , fielding bowling and then batting ..in varied conditions. and you have to be working to keep yourself fit too. and yeah quite a few of our ranji cricketers are working in banks too ..then what ?
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 17:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

yeah our cricketers are paid way higher than other indian athletes ,but its not at all the least physically challenging sport ..try standing in teh sun for 5 days ...forget 5 dazz u wont be able to stand and run around for more than an hour ....about other sports ...do u think MS deserves to be paid sooo much only because he flexes his neck muscles,does tiger woods deserve the kind of money he gets by throwing his arm around...

as steeroid says our hockey players know only to fight with hockey sticks or to blame the coach ...atleast our cricketers perform well on the international level